Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2888657

Subject: "that's f*cked up! (c) D. Hall. Anyone digest the R&RHOF show yet?" Previous topic | Next topic
lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 10:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"that's f*cked up! (c) D. Hall. Anyone digest the R&RHOF show yet?"

I've seen most (though not all) of it over the past few nights.

Even though I still find the idea of a RRHOF somewhat appalling, I always get a kick out of seeing what they're doing it & how they're doing it.

Daryl's comment was the funniest thing of the night though...
'thanks fa lettin us in, yo wtf about Chubby & dem though?' Sad thing is he's right & I'd add Jim Croce to his list, if I, y'know, gave a damn about who they let in. Plus he fits what seems to be a pattern: old, white, dead or dying.
?uest did an okay job on the induction... very confident and articulate as always, I just thought he might have been a bit too in-depth with the music geek aspect. Other stuff we pretty funny. Would love to get his take on the experience and the evening as well. The fact that he got chosen to do it (and considering the Roots were integral in the Beasties' induction tribute performance a few years back) makes me feel like he's on that Grohl/Green Day/Morello trajectory where the HOF is grooming him for future induction. Which is a good thing.

Cat Stevens was really out of place and he was kind of mean in his acceptance speech. I'll chalk that up to him feeling completely out of place and somewhat bemused by the affair but also a bit egotistical. Dude did write some great songs though.

Thought the Linda Ronstadt tribute was good, and made a good case for her somewhat surprising selection; surprised they gave it so much screen time. Would have preferred to hear songs that I don't associate more with other people though.

Most important thing I got out of the E Street Band's speeches was holy shit was that one chick hot. http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jason+Federici+Rock+Roll+Hall+Fame+Induction+tgGdS7weZ_7l.jpg The show was good... thought Bruce's induction speech hinged WAAAAAAY too much on himself, but it was still emotional.

Nirvana... well, Lorde was not very good, I thought. Grohl still looks like a rock star and Novoselic looks like a middle-aged dude. They can still rock though.

Kiss? meh.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Have it sitting on the DVR. Still haven't watched.
Jun 12th 2014
It was i-ight. Had good points and bad
Jun 12th 2014
RE: It was i-ight. Had good points and bad
Jun 12th 2014
What did he say?
Jun 13th 2014
      He argued that with no set criteria, the 3 most important should be
Jun 13th 2014
Carrie Underwood shockingly stomped a mud-hole in that tribute
Jun 13th 2014
Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought
Jun 13th 2014
RE: Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought
Jun 13th 2014
      RE: Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought
Jun 13th 2014
           a few years ago when the Faces got in I was like ".....?"
Jun 13th 2014
           The Faces inclusion was very strange...
Jun 13th 2014
           I wouldn't say that...
Jun 13th 2014
                RE: I wouldn't say that...
Jun 19th 2014
Courtney getting booed was kind of crazy....
Jun 13th 2014
terrible, a byproduct of Grohl being such a 'nice guy' in the industry
Jun 13th 2014
yea they wrong for that booing Courtney..I would have liked her
Jun 13th 2014
I actually thought the instr. arrangement on All Apologies was tight*
Jun 13th 2014
I agree the arrangement was good, but Lourde sucked
Jun 13th 2014
      I don't think she was *that* fucked up by her standard anyway
Jun 19th 2014
Courtney has noone to blame but herself
Jun 13th 2014
      but the world is littered with male rock stars like that who wouldn't
Jun 14th 2014
           But that's the thing:
Jun 14th 2014
                RE: But that's the thing:
Jun 15th 2014
That shit was MAD disrespectful
Jun 19th 2014
      Axl got booed (in absentia) in 2012, probably set some sort of precedent
Jun 19th 2014
           Seriously though, that shit is uncalled for at something like that
Jun 19th 2014
                old rich white people
Jun 19th 2014
Ya know Chris Martian seem like a cool guy off stage
Jun 13th 2014
Man, that was one bitter ass show
Jun 19th 2014
Victoria Clemons: "Clarence was known as the Big Man for many reasons
Jun 19th 2014
That shit was hilarious.
Jun 19th 2014
      is young on the sax their son or Clarence's grand by another woman?
Jun 19th 2014
      It's his nephew.
Jun 19th 2014
           yeah, Jake's been with them for a couple years but pretty much
Jun 19th 2014
      really was, her Russian accent & not realizing at first made it better
Jun 19th 2014

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 11:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Have it sitting on the DVR. Still haven't watched."
In response to Reply # 0

But on your point about them "grooming" ?uest, while I agree, he lobbied to be the guy to induct them.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 12:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "It was i-ight. Had good points and bad"
In response to Reply # 0

Overall, I thought the best segment was the Peter Gabriel stuff. Chris Martin did a good job introducing him, and Gabriel was extremely classy and humble in accepting the award. Not that I'm surprised, since he's long been considered one of the genuine good guys in the music biz. And I liked his performances quite a bit.

>Daryl's comment was the funniest thing of the night though...
>
>'thanks fa lettin us in, yo wtf about Chubby & dem though?'
>Sad thing is he's right & I'd add Jim Croce to his list, if I,
>y'know, gave a damn about who they let in. Plus he fits what
>seems to be a pattern: old, white, dead or dying.
>?uest did an okay job on the induction... very confident and
>articulate as always, I just thought he might have been a bit
>too in-depth with the music geek aspect. Other stuff we pretty
>funny. Would love to get his take on the experience and the
>evening as well. The fact that he got chosen to do it (and
>considering the Roots were integral in the Beasties' induction
>tribute performance a few years back) makes me feel like he's
>on that Grohl/Green Day/Morello trajectory where the HOF is
>grooming him for future induction. Which is a good thing.

I liked this part. Both ?uest and Hall and Oates themselves. I didn't mind ?uest being a music geek, 'cause hey, I'm a music geek too. He did a good job of explaining the importance of their music and what made it unique and appreciated beyond just Top 40 audiences. And what kind of Lesson-head couldn't appreciate a Dilla shout out?

I also liked the Hall and Oates (particularly Hall) was happy to be honored, but didn't take everything too seriously; you need at least one act like that each induction ceremony. And I enjoyed that they bigged up Chubby Checkers (like you mentioned) and lamented that they're the only Philly act in the Hall thus far.

>Cat Stevens was really out of place and he was kind of mean in
>his acceptance speech. I'll chalk that up to him feeling
>completely out of place and somewhat bemused by the affair but
>also a bit egotistical. Dude did write some great songs
>though.

This was the one segment I wasn't feeling at all. Stevens came off like a complete pompous ass, and lost me about a minute into his speech. Garfunkel didn't do him any favors with his introduction either; he tried to be clever and got too cutesy with it. He looked even worse after ?uest went on almost immediately afterwards and succeeding in being everything that Garfunkel wanted to be with his intro.

>Thought the Linda Ronstadt tribute was good, and made a good
>case for her somewhat surprising selection; surprised they
>gave it so much screen time. Would have preferred to hear
>songs that I don't associate more with other people though.

Eh, I liked it well enough, but there was waaaaaay too much Carrie Underwood. Particularly Carrie Underwood shrieking over Bonnie Raitt and Allison Krauss. Like seriously, you already did one lackluster performance of a Ronstadt song, don't kill another performance by a pair of singers that are leagues ahead of you.

>Most important thing I got out of the E Street Band's speeches
>was holy shit was that one chick hot.
>http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jason+Federici+Rock+Roll+Hall+Fame+Induction+tgGdS7weZ_7l.jpg
>The show was good... thought Bruce's induction speech hinged
>WAAAAAAY too much on himself, but it was still emotional.

Yeah, I agree, but this was probably my second favorite segment.

>Nirvana... well, Lorde was not very good, I thought. Grohl
>still looks like a rock star and Novoselic looks like a
>middle-aged dude. They can still rock though.

Joan Jett was just as bad. And I could have done without any Courtney Love. My wife said about the exact same thing about Grohl and Novoselic. Liked both of their speeches a lot though.

>Kiss? meh.

Well, at least they didn't perform. Jeebus, they looked awful. Bloated and decrepit. And fuck Gene Simmons. I thought Morello did a decent enough job introducing them, but framing it as "Fuck the critics, KISS was a band for the people!!!" is kinda tired and lame.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-12-14 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: It was i-ight. Had good points and bad"
In response to Reply # 2

>Overall, I thought the best segment was the Peter Gabriel
>stuff. Chris Martin did a good job introducing him, and
>Gabriel was extremely classy and humble in accepting the
>award. Not that I'm surprised, since he's long been considered
>one of the genuine good guys in the music biz. And I liked his
>performances quite a bit.

Only caught the tail end of In Your Eyes. The fact that I didn't recogniz it right away, and the fact the he brought Youssou with him, are two positives that tell me I'll like it.
Funny thing is, though, I DIDN'T want to like it. Call my respect and appreciation for PG begrudging, if you will.

>>Daryl's comment was the funniest thing of the night
>though...

>I liked this part. Both ?uest and Hall and Oates themselves. I
>didn't mind ?uest being a music geek, 'cause hey, I'm a music
>geek too. He did a good job of explaining the importance of
>their music and what made it unique and appreciated beyond
>just Top 40 audiences. And what kind of Lesson-head couldn't
>appreciate a Dilla shout out?

I agree, I just though it probably went over most of hte audience's head. It's not like it's all music geeks paying for their $500 tickets or whatever.

(The only person I know who's ever been to one is a great lady, but she's more into music as an event rather than as, you know, music. Like, she was psyched to have gone to the event, not necessarily to have seen any of the acts in particular.)

>This was the one segment I wasn't feeling at all. Stevens came
>off like a complete pompous ass, and lost me about a minute
>into his speech. Garfunkel didn't do him any favors with his
>introduction either; he tried to be clever and got too cutesy
>with it. He looked even worse after ?uest went on almost
>immediately afterwards and succeeding in being everything that
>Garfunkel wanted to be with his intro.

I wouldn't be that harsh on Art; he was in a tough spot, really, inducting a guy who everybody loves (well, the 5 or 6 songs that everybody knows, anyway) but pulled a big WTF 30 years ago and hasn't been heard much since. I think it'd be hard to do that without either insulting him or insulting the audience.

>Eh, I liked it well enough, but there was waaaaaay too much
>Carrie Underwood.

Shewasn't that bad. And she looked good, I thought!

Particularly Carrie Underwood shrieking over
>Bonnie Raitt and Allison Krauss.

Allison Krauss? You mean Emmylou Harris? Or SHeryl Crow? (I know you're not confusing our gal Bonnie...)

>Yeah, I agree, but this was probably my second favorite
>segment.

I've never been a huge Boss fan, and this performance really sorta made me understand that while, yeah, that's tight, it's still not really my thing. Gimme Nebraska or the Seeger sessions any day.

>Joan Jett was just as bad. And I could have done without any
>Courtney Love. My wife said about the exact same thing about
>Grohl and Novoselic. Liked both of their speeches a lot
>though.

Yep. Grohl's was probably the best acceptance speech since Flea's. And they both did a great job of expanding the vision of Nirvana to include their whole team.

>>Kiss? meh.
>
>Well, at least they didn't perform. Jeebus, they looked awful.
>Bloated and decrepit. And fuck Gene Simmons. I thought Morello
>did a decent enough job introducing them, but framing it as
>"Fuck the critics, KISS was a band for the people!!!" is kinda
>tired and lame.

Morello's speech & presentation was great, but I disagreed with a lot of it aside from his basic points of why they belonged in it.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 03:24 PM

10. "What did he say?"
In response to Reply # 3

>Morello's speech & presentation was great, but I disagreed
>with a lot of it aside from his basic points of why they
>belonged in it.

Personally, I think they should have gotten in years ago. In sweden, there's this metal-magazine where they every issue have this column where they ask a musician-from the biggest US ones to small swedish bands-who got them into heavy rock and I'm not bullshitting:"Everyone" from a certain generation (and many younger ones as well) say that getting into Kiss as kids is what changed everything. Honestly, I'm no different; I remember (well, I don't but my parents have told me) digging them in kindergarten, not that I had heard their music or anything but still...

People can say what they want about Kiss music but a band with that impact on kids can not be overlooked for year after year and they still attract teenagers to their best music which is more than I can say about many more credible rock-stars.

Also, just like Sex Pistols, I actually think their image has worked *against* them. Not in commercial terms of course but in terms of how seriously they are taken. This band (with apologies to the vastly superior music of Alice Cooper in the early 70's) essentially opened the door for a new style of heavy rock that was NOT rooted in the power-trio blooze/psych of the 60's or sleazy post-Stones Aerosmith boogie but instead something that STRONGLY pointed towards the 80's; a form of hard-rock that really didn't fully exist before them (Alice Cooper was a bit too clever/artsy and the british glam-rock bands like Sweet and Slade too poppy and bubblegum; not "manly" enough to attract the teenage potheads). The more credible Van Halen walked through the door Kiss had opened in terms of heavy rock not Blooze/psych/jam-based...

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 03:58 PM

13. "He argued that with no set criteria, the 3 most important should be"
In response to Reply # 10

-impact
-influence
-awesomeness

and spoke in a manner that was most reminiscent of a Revivalist preacher.

As Hood said, he hammered the point that Kiss had huge success despite never being appreciated by critics, and 'that is very rock and roll' etc.

Things/acts/people being 'rock and roll' by thumbing noses at 'the establishment' was something of a theme for the evening.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 06:09 AM

4. "Carrie Underwood shockingly stomped a mud-hole in that tribute"
In response to Reply # 2

Owned it on a stage with Stevie, Bonnie, Emmylou & even Sheryl (who had serious pipes in her younger days).

I got love for every one of those women up there far more than I likely every will for Carrie Underwood (literally couldn't name a single song she's ever done) but it was pretty easy to tell who was in their prime up there.

She was actually holding back while singing back-up for Bonnie & Emmylou along with the closing group thing, you could just hear her more because her voice is strong by comparison.

She just happens to be able to blow at a level of power those women can't right now.

Not to mention looked good up there doing it.

That captured Linda Rondstadt in her big-voiced, hot-number early prime like on this Johnny Cash Show appearance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvNXfzR6dw more than any of the rest of them.

And you can tell the rest of 'em knew it, probably saw it in rehearsal and as a result gave her the platform she got.

Hope Linda's alright but every person that didn't show up for the honor (Curtis Mayfield, Adam Yauch) before for a health reason has never made it through the following year.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 06:22 AM

5. "Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought"
In response to Reply # 0

We probably got the most restrained version of his thoughts he was capable of giving based upon what we know about the backstory.

If only his music had the edge his personality did.

Funny, it was like the year of inductees-with-axes-to-grind and all took the opportunity to do so which gave what can be a stodgy affair a bit of palpable energy and edge in the room.

And I don't care who's singing, Nirvana without Kurt Cobain is the Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi.

It doesn't work and I ain't gonna pretend it does just because Dave Grohl is a nice guy who we all must accept as rock royalty these days.

I'm glad they gave Joan Jett a look tho, I coulda put her in off The Runaways' 'Live In Japan' album.

Hall needs to put The Meters and Thin Lizzy in ASAP.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 10:35 AM

6. "RE: Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought"
In response to Reply # 5

>We probably got the most restrained version of his thoughts
>he was capable of giving based upon what we know about the
>backstory.

That may be true. I dunno, if he's as 'at peace' as all the media reports have said he is, I wouldn't have expected him to be kind of an asshole... guess I was thinking more Zen monk-like esoteric and quixotic, but what do I know.

>If only his music had the edge his personality did.

ah, don't tell me you're on that dalecooper anti-Cat stance? I don't know man, a little corn can be good for you now & then.

>Funny, it was like the year of inductees-with-axes-to-grind
>and all took the opportunity to do so which gave what can be a
>stodgy affair a bit of palpable energy and edge in the room.

it would be better if the axes weren't all BS

>And I don't care who's singing, Nirvana without Kurt Cobain is
>the Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi.

yep.

Their guitarist seemed pretty good, but he was bouncing around and smiling in a way that felt weird, considering the music. But yeah, the show kinda felt flat and Novoselic stopping playing to put his hat back on to hide his bald spot was about the most un-rock-and-roll thing I've ever seen. And I don't even give a shit about rock and roll being 'rock and roll.'

>Hall needs to put The Meters and Thin Lizzy in ASAP.

I'm kind of opposed to the idea of a Hall simply because the criteria seems to be 'whoever Jann and his cronies like a lot.' For the life of me I don't see an argument for Thin Lizzy but then again I'd be the first to say Fairport Convention should be in any Hall of Fame (hell, if Laura Nyro's been inducted...) There's just a hell of a lot of leeway either way and it's truly impossible to determine any legitimate standards.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 02:35 PM

8. "RE: Cat's closing lines of his speech was funny I thought"
In response to Reply # 6

>>We probably got the most restrained version of his thoughts
>>he was capable of giving based upon what we know about the
>>backstory.
>
>That may be true. I dunno, if he's as 'at peace' as all the
>media reports have said he is, I wouldn't have expected him to
>be kind of an asshole... guess I was thinking more Zen
>monk-like esoteric and quixotic, but what do I know.
>
>>If only his music had the edge his personality did.
>
>ah, don't tell me you're on that dalecooper anti-Cat stance? I
>don't know man, a little corn can be good for you now & then.
>
Nah, he's got some cuts, I got no beef with him.

Didn't mind the snark in the speech either, don't mind him shitting on Kiss or snarking on the institution, that felt 'rock & roll'.

He didn't become a Zen Buddhist doing yoga, he became a devoted Islamic practitioner living in the Middle East.

>>Funny, it was like the year of inductees-with-axes-to-grind
>>and all took the opportunity to do so which gave what can be
>a
>>stodgy affair a bit of palpable energy and edge in the room.
>
>it would be better if the axes weren't all BS
>
True.

>>And I don't care who's singing, Nirvana without Kurt Cobain
>is
>>the Jimi Hendrix Experience without Jimi.
>
>yep.
>
>Their guitarist seemed pretty good, but he was bouncing around
>and smiling in a way that felt weird, considering the music.
>But yeah, the show kinda felt flat and Novoselic stopping
>playing to put his hat back on to hide his bald spot was about
>the most un-rock-and-roll thing I've ever seen. And I don't
>even give a shit about rock and roll being 'rock and roll.'
>
>>Hall needs to put The Meters and Thin Lizzy in ASAP.
>
>I'm kind of opposed to the idea of a Hall simply because the
>criteria seems to be 'whoever Jann and his cronies like a
>lot.' For the life of me I don't see an argument for Thin
>Lizzy but then again I'd be the first to say Fairport
>Convention should be in any Hall of Fame (hell, if Laura
>Nyro's been inducted...)

Thin Lizzy were the first major band to use dual lead guitar harmonies that Southern Rock later adopted.

They were also the most obvious bridge between the early 70's classic rock and 80's metal.

And Phil Lynott was a legit great rock vocalist with a unique amalgamation of the ole Irish mysticism and working-class pub rocking spirit.

There's just a hell of a lot of
>leeway either way and it's truly impossible to determine any
>legitimate standards.
>
sure.....but they're so often steeped in that Rolling Stone-ism.

I will never believe The Hollies have made a greater musical impact than the Meters.

And I'd be good with Richard Thompson in as a catch-all with Fairport & since.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 03:33 PM

11. "a few years ago when the Faces got in I was like ".....?""
In response to Reply # 8

>I will never believe The Hollies have made a greater musical
>impact than the Meters.

I mean, there are good arguments for hundreds and hundreds of bands, absolutely (such as your Thin Lizzy one). The fact that there is no standard - and worse, that if there were any, since we're talking about music, just about everything except for record sales is a mater of personal taste and perception - is what makes the RRHOF just a bad idea in the first place (though one that I enjoy observing; on the other hand I lived in Akron for a year and never even made it to the RRHOF in Cleve-land.)

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 06:16 PM

19. "The Faces inclusion was very strange..."
In response to Reply # 11

I dig the Faces a lot but it's like putting Black Crowes in there when they are eligible (OK, not *that* weird). Overall, some of their choices seems very arbitrary to me but I'm in sweden and did not grow up on "classic rock"-radio or anything even remotely close to that so I really didn't know the status of many of those acts beyond reading and listening and shaping a general idea of how they are perceived in the US based on that. Maybe the Faces are a big deal rather than just a cool rocking band amongst several other cool rocking bands in that era. Let's just say I've completely missed it.

Or maybe it's the Rod Stewart thing, it's surely a better reason to put him in than "I am sailing" or "Do ya think I'm sexy?". I guess he's in as a solo-artist too though...

Useless bonus-trivia:it took me a long time to realize that "classic rock" did NOT mean music made during the "classic rock"-era but rather stuff that gets played on US "classic rock"-radio and if you have the nerve to say that some other stuff from the same era is better, youre a hipster revisionist. After getting some US classic rock-stations when radio became "free" here in the early 90's I find the whole scene kind of ridiculous, like it's a scene that celebrates itself and don't deal with revisionism at all regardless of what contemporary music sounds like but instead play the same "canonic" songs year after year apparently since forever like some kind of static monument...

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 03:40 PM

12. "I wouldn't say that..."
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Jun-13-14 03:41 PM by Jakob Hellberg

>
>Thin Lizzy were the first major band to use dual lead guitar
>harmonies that Southern Rock later adopted.
>

Lizzy didn't really use that in the beginning, I *think* the southern bands di it a bit earlier but I need to check the years, not too well-versed in southern rock beyond ZZ top who are of course gods. Either way, Lizzy's style with the harmony was lifted from Wishbone Ash who were actually quite successful in europe but not at all in the US from what I understand...

>They were also the most obvious bridge between the early 70's
>classic rock and 80's metal.

This I agree with. However, Judas Priest is the band from that era who REALLY set the stage for the 80's metal; you can hear everything from pop-metal to thrash and speed on their mid-late 70's records. Bands like them and others that followed in that vein like Iron Maiden have never really been appreciated by classic rock fans or critics so Lizzy is a better pick.

That said, you should definitely listen to UFO's albums from that era like the awesome "Lights out" for another good example of a band who bridged it even if they weren't on the same level as Lizzy; actually, not sure americans know them at all outside of maybe "doctor doctor"
>
>And Phil Lynott was a legit great rock vocalist with a unique
>amalgamation of the ole Irish mysticism and working-class pub
>rocking spirit.
>

Agreed and I can actually hear a strong similarity with Springsteen as well in terms of lyrical themes and even some vocal-melody patterns (perhaps a shared Van Morrison influence?) even if Lizzy did much better music IMO...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 03:03 PM

35. "RE: I wouldn't say that..."
In response to Reply # 12

>>
>>Thin Lizzy were the first major band to use dual lead guitar
>>harmonies that Southern Rock later adopted.
>>
>
>
>Lizzy didn't really use that in the beginning, I *think* the
>southern bands di it a bit earlier but I need to check the
>years, not too well-versed in southern rock beyond ZZ top who
>are of course gods. Either way, Lizzy's style with the harmony
>was lifted from Wishbone Ash who were actually quite
>successful in europe but not at all in the US from what I
>understand...
>
They were before Skynyrd & Allmans had the slide thing early that's a bit of a different thing, so I give it to Lizzy and have heard others say the same in terms of 'mainstream' rock even if Lizzy almost barely qualifies on the US side.

They did have two hits that broke through tho.

>>They were also the most obvious bridge between the early
>70's
>>classic rock and 80's metal.
>
>This I agree with. However, Judas Priest is the band from that
>era who REALLY set the stage for the 80's metal; you can hear
>everything from pop-metal to thrash and speed on their
>mid-late 70's records. Bands like them and others that
>followed in that vein like Iron Maiden have never really been
>appreciated by classic rock fans or critics so Lizzy is a
>better pick.
>
>That said, you should definitely listen to UFO's albums from
>that era like the awesome "Lights out" for another good
>example of a band who bridged it even if they weren't on the
>same level as Lizzy; actually, not sure americans know them at
>all outside of maybe "doctor doctor"
>>
Hmm, haven't really studied them too deeply but will re-investigate thanks, yeah 'Doctor Doctor' was their only real big hit stateside as far as I know.

>>And Phil Lynott was a legit great rock vocalist with a
>unique
>>amalgamation of the ole Irish mysticism and working-class
>pub
>>rocking spirit.
>>
>
>Agreed and I can actually hear a strong similarity with
>Springsteen as well in terms of lyrical themes and even some
>vocal-melody patterns (perhaps a shared Van Morrison
>influence?) even if Lizzy did much better music IMO...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 11:44 AM

7. "Courtney getting booed was kind of crazy...."
In response to Reply # 0

and I enjoyed Cat Stevens .... always liked the guys music and I'm glad he's open to doing stuff like this now.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 02:46 PM

9. "terrible, a byproduct of Grohl being such a 'nice guy' in the industry"
In response to Reply # 7

and people crazy enough to think she actually killed Kurt, a manic-depressive heroin addict with stomach ulcers who blew his head off with a shotgun.

I would have actually liked to hear her sing one of the songs but I'm assuming she was blocked by the boys and then they made a point to have four songs all sung by women.

Courtney singing 'All Apologies' with them might have actually been a true moment with passion and pathos rather than Lorde making it a teen-angst karoke show with Kurt's old rhythm section.

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "yea they wrong for that booing Courtney..I would have liked her"
In response to Reply # 9

to perform too since they went with all women...I was mad as hell it ended with Lorde

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 04:19 PM

15. "I actually thought the instr. arrangement on All Apologies was tight*"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri Jun-13-14 04:19 PM by lonesome_d

I also thought Courtney seemed completely loaded, which stuck me as very unfortunate, but I don't know her well enough to guess whether she were loaded or very emotional or a combination of the two.

*course, me & accordions...

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

mrhood75
44713 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 04:24 PM

16. "I agree the arrangement was good, but Lourde sucked"
In response to Reply # 15

And yeah, it was hard to tell if Love was stoned or emotional or just Love.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:56 PM

34. "I don't think she was *that* fucked up by her standard anyway"
In response to Reply # 16

compare that to say, the Pam Anderson roast & she was pretty tame.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 04:33 PM

17. "Courtney has noone to blame but herself"
In response to Reply # 9

She has spent her entire career being nothing but an asshole to everyone and a major fuckup. Had she carried herself better I doubt people would have had any problems with her... However, it's all narcissistic "look at me"-shit, from the music to her various outbreaks; she's a clown and I've felt that way since I heard the "Retard girl"-single back in 90-91...

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sat Jun-14-14 03:54 AM

20. "but the world is littered with male rock stars like that who wouldn't"
In response to Reply # 17

be booed accepting a trophy for their dead spouse or blocked from playing while four others are given the slot to do less of a job than she prolly could have.

I don't find her to be some great musical talent, however I would have rather seen her try a hand at one of those songs or at least not be shit on 20 years later when approaching a podium while her dead husband is being honored and the the nice-guy drummer is getting lauded as some rock legend when he's not even as good a frontman as Kurt's wife.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Sat Jun-14-14 06:27 AM

21. "But that's the thing:"
In response to Reply # 20
Sat Jun-14-14 06:28 AM by Jakob Hellberg

A male rockstar would never get a pass for that shit after more than a few years *unless* they had the musical talent or impact or whatever to back it up.

Meanwhile, why I obviously don't think Courtney has gotten away with it, I think her outrageous persona to such a large extent outshines whatever little musical talent she might have that it's pretty much the only reason she's known at all anymore outside of being the widow.

For the record, I don't doubt for a second that Courtney would have done a better job than fucking Lorde without even having seen the thing; regardless of what I think of her and her music, she is a good screamer and has the attitude to make Nirvana's material justice. Still, the surviving members of the band don't like her and they have good reasons for that, she doesn't like them either and since they were in the band, not she, I think it's in their right to not put her there regardless of it really being Kurts band with the other two playing second fiddle.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Sun Jun-15-14 11:00 AM

22. "RE: But that's the thing:"
In response to Reply # 21

>A male rockstar would never get a pass for that shit after
>more than a few years *unless* they had the musical talent or
>impact or whatever to back it up.
>
There's way too many to list.

>Meanwhile, why I obviously don't think Courtney has gotten
>away with it, I think her outrageous persona to such a large
>extent outshines whatever little musical talent she might have
>that it's pretty much the only reason she's known at all
>anymore outside of being the widow.
>
probably true but you could say the same for Flavor Flav or Tommy Lee.

>For the record, I don't doubt for a second that Courtney would
>have done a better job than fucking Lorde without even having
>seen the thing; regardless of what I think of her and her
>music, she is a good screamer and has the attitude to make
>Nirvana's material justice. Still, the surviving members of
>the band don't like her and they have good reasons for that,
>she doesn't like them either and since they were in the band,
>not she, I think it's in their right to not put her there
>regardless of it really being Kurts band with the other two
>playing second fiddle.

Their reasons are probably mostly monetary since she's held up a few cash-grab reissues and their status is beyond second fiddle, it's The Experience without Jimi Hendrix.

They already shared a stage to accept with her, letting her sing one of the cuts rather than hiring 4 other women (3 of which never met him) would have been a decent gesture while also generating a real moment.

However Grohl's pseudo-legend/music-industry-ingratiation team of statisticians showed that she tested 'very unfavorably' amongst the old white rockers.

She woulda done it even though she probably hates them too but if that was too much to handle then at least give us Polly Jean, Kim Deal, Fiona, Sinead, shit even Bjork.......somebody.

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 09:17 AM

23. "That shit was MAD disrespectful"
In response to Reply # 7

Like, take a night off, assholes. Jesus. If Dave and Krist can chill for a night with her standing next to them, y'all can ease up on the fucking booing. I felt really bad for her at that moment.

_

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 10:46 AM

25. "Axl got booed (in absentia) in 2012, probably set some sort of precedent"
In response to Reply # 23

(for wackness)

but so the audience now thinks it's okay.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 01:31 PM

28. "Seriously though, that shit is uncalled for at something like that"
In response to Reply # 25

And I don't even LIKE the Hall of Fame. But I'd at least have a modicum of respect during the inductions. I mean, who fucking does that?

_

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:10 PM

29. "old rich white people"
In response to Reply # 28

>And I don't even LIKE the Hall of Fame. But I'd at least
>have a modicum of respect during the inductions. I mean, who
>fucking does that?

who have the money to attend and the ego to convince themselves they have good taste and enough sense of entitlement to boo someone being honored in absentia or in place of a dead spouse

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Fri Jun-13-14 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Ya know Chris Martian seem like a cool guy off stage "
In response to Reply # 0

He always comes off good when he solo at one of these tributes or benefit things.

Maybe its the band

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 09:26 AM

24. "Man, that was one bitter ass show"
In response to Reply # 0

There was shade being thrown left and right. Not that a lot of it wasn't justified, but damn.

Chris Martin's speech was pretty great, as was ?uest's. But the night to me belonged to Tom Morello. That shit was awesome.

And Paul Stanley, while a huge douche, made the best point of the evening when he said how the people should have a stronger voice in the vote. Not that I think the HoF should be a popular vote, but some weight should given.

The Linda Ronstadt segment was great, though I never wanna hear Carrie Underwood sing that great Nesmith track ever again. She just seemed out of place with every one else.

Cat Stevens I thought was fucking awesome. I don't know if he was mean as much as he was just being cheeky.

I love me some Bruce and I thought that whole segment was great (but fucking way too long).

Stipe though. I dunno... shit seemed way to pompous to me. But as he were inducting what I see to be one of the most overrated bands of all time, it seemed apropos. Like I said above, the Courtney disrespect was pretty repugnant. The performances... I liked Annie Clark. I liked Kim Gordon. I enjoyed seeing Joan Jett. And Lorde was also there. Not her fault. Though that stupid spasmic shit she does when singing was her fault. She should work on that.

Overall, not a bad show. But definitely nothing that stood out as being memorable.

_

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 01:01 PM

26. "Victoria Clemons: "Clarence was known as the Big Man for many reasons"
In response to Reply # 0

*mumbles/outbreaks of laughter in audience*.....you people are SO bad."

CaptNish
14495 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 01:29 PM

27. "That shit was hilarious."
In response to Reply # 26

She had that slight look of "Seriously, grow up" in her eyes before a "yeah, I shoulda seen that coming."

_

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:12 PM

30. "is young on the sax their son or Clarence's grand by another woman?"
In response to Reply # 27

not that it really matters, she just looked pretty young to be his mother and waaay too young to be his grandmother

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

mrhood75
44713 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:34 PM

31. "It's his nephew."
In response to Reply # 30
Thu Jun-19-14 02:36 PM by mrhood75

EDIT: Checked the E Street Band website, and confirmed that it's his nephew.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:53 PM

33. "yeah, Jake's been with them for a couple years but pretty much"
In response to Reply # 31

grew up around all of them during tours, etc.

They sorta brought a full-on horn section to replace Clarence rather than one guy but he's playing Clarence's old sax and taking the big solos, he does a good job too.

Clarence's last few years were a struggle up there at times, he was definitely sick & laboring.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jun-19-14 02:45 PM

32. "really was, her Russian accent & not realizing at first made it better"
In response to Reply # 27

>She had that slight look of "Seriously, grow up" in her eyes
>before a "yeah, I shoulda seen that coming."

Lobby The Lesson topic #2888657 Previous topic | Next topic