Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2885523

Subject: "new mariah: "thirsty" and "you don't know what to do" (links)" Previous topic | Next topic
come on people
Member since Dec 02nd 2007
17423 posts
Mon May-19-14 11:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new mariah: "thirsty" and "you don't know what to do" (links)"

Mariah has "Thirsty" up on her VEVO: http://youtu.be/5BYNma9wxxw

She performed YDKWTD on the Today Show then premiered the studio version: https://soundcloud.com/tgjteam/ydkwtd

hmm.

i think i like YDKWTD more than "thirsty." Not sure what approach she is taking with this project at this point. i guess "thirsty" sounds more like something that will get played on the radio, while YDKWTD is a signal that she will definitely be bringing her signature vocal skills to this project.

business strategy questions aside, i really like how she half-channeled evelyn "champagne" king on YDKWTD and gave us a smooth disco-ish track. it sounds like something to play on your car this summer. and wale adds a nice touch to it. lots of coos, melodies, and belting. i didn't catch any multi-syllabic words in the verses though lol. i give this song an A.

"thirsty" is contemporary and very, very catchy. i guess she wants people to start chanting "you're so thirsty." i know i probably will if they start playing this song as much as they played "obsessed." beyond that, it actually sounds better in one of the sped-up versions on youtube. i can imagine it playing A LOT in clubs and getting the floor moving -- but then again, i don't go to clubs much anymore so i could be way off-base. i give this song a B+.

what do you think?

Go Smack yourself and then apologize to your hand for looking stupid - Case_One

http://i54.tinypic.com/nxros2.jpg

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
She can do better...
May 19th 2014
she did better all over this album.
May 27th 2014
you know...i actually disagree about "you don't know what to do."
May 30th 2014
She needs to just jack Ariana Grande's songs. The first two I heard
May 30th 2014
nah....mariah's got the right lane on her new album.
May 31st 2014

soul4thought
Member since Feb 22nd 2007
2737 posts
Mon May-19-14 04:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "She can do better..."
In response to Reply # 0

than both of these songs.

I'm not expecting her to completely reinvent her career or anything. Her voice has also deteriorated, making the chance of her pulling a quality vocal together slimmer. Her voice may be out of her control at this point but, that said, these songs are, at best, cute and, at worse, forgettable retreads that don't have much of a hook IMO.

I heard Thirsty was actually recorded over two years ago. And it sounds like it. Same with You're Mine, which sounded like a demo from YEARS ago and flopped accordingly. Why would she even hire Rodney Jerkins?

I gotta go in a little...
I seriously think she's about to pull a "Rainbow," another rushed record that she now hates. With all the pushbacks, I'm not surprised.

Part of the issue is that she continues to act like people actually care more about her "image" than her music. Ironically, I believe it's the opposite; in Mariah's case, most aren't satisfied with gimmicks from her. If anything, when she does it, it's annoying and distracting. Stop the ridiculous Photoshop, the implant tweaking, the stupid dancers, the diva babble... stop alla dat! And make a decent song. So far, no good.

long time lurker...short time okayplayer.

soul4thought: Est. 2007
http://www.last.fm/user/soulelectric/

come on people
17423 posts
Tue May-27-14 08:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "she did better all over this album."
In response to Reply # 1

this album is great. it's what E=MC2 should've been.

come on people
17423 posts
Fri May-30-14 08:44 AM

3. "you know...i actually disagree about "you don't know what to do.""
In response to Reply # 1
Fri May-30-14 08:50 AM by come on people

that song is very good. great, even. it's absolutely perfect for a SOLID live performance and for the radio. mariah has never kicked a song off like that before....straight belting (such as it were for 45-year old mariah) out the intro like that?

that's money.

if she had a strong team behind her (she clearly doesn't), that woulda been the single they led with this spring/summer. and she would've performed it A LOT. live, that is: not over a pre-recorded track like she did on the today show.

in my mind, it's perfect for a club 54, extravagant video with lots of cameos, that would allow mariah to do the extravagant mariah shyt she loves to do.

"thirsty" is another "obsessed"...great song but not what ppl want from mariah.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri May-30-14 05:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "She needs to just jack Ariana Grande's songs. The first two I heard"
In response to Reply # 0

from her, I said "ohh ok, new Mariah...sounds poppy/youthful but cute." They both smash Mariah's new tracks, too.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

come on people
17423 posts
Sat May-31-14 08:01 AM

5. "nah....mariah's got the right lane on her new album."
In response to Reply # 4

the new album is very solid. it's the promotion & roll-out that's been weak.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2885523 Previous topic | Next topic