Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2885280

Subject: " Why is the Lesson mad? " This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sat Jul-26-14 05:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Why is the Lesson mad? "

This is an honest question. I'm close to a breakthrough with y'all, I really am.

I'm gonna go have some coffee. Medium roast. Lemme see if this cute lady with the nice rump shows up. Yes, she likes to smile at the Orbster. Why? Because I'm kind, loving, and care for people.

I'm here to help.

Poll result (0 votes)
Intelligent artists who can't help but hold art to a higher standard (0 votes)Vote
Ambitious, insecure artists, and being MAD helps their self esteem (0 votes)Vote
Artists who are just sensitive types in general (they love and hate equally) (0 votes)Vote
(Mostly) Guys who haven't been on a real date since 2008 (0 votes)Vote
Snobby Generation Xers/Millennials who bring their momma to job interviews (0 votes)Vote
white people don't like Black People/Black People don't like them back (0 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I sometimes wonder
May 17th 2014
Of course not.
May 17th 2014
I think in general, it was exciting when hip hop sounded fresh
May 17th 2014
Why do u assume everybody is inherently mad?
May 17th 2014

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6522 posts
Sat May-17-14 09:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I sometimes wonder"
In response to Reply # 0

if message boards would draw the number (and type) of people that they do if you had to be completely transparent and honest with who you are IRL and what you do.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Sat May-17-14 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Of course not."
In response to Reply # 1

The anonymity allows anyone to speak from a place of authority on any subject.
That can actually be a good or bad thing tho, since some people have knowledge
and intelligence you wouldn't expect them to have, while others are just as
dumb as you'd expect them to be, lol.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Admbmb
Member since Sep 16th 2009
1902 posts
Sat May-17-14 10:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I think in general, it was exciting when hip hop sounded fresh"
In response to Reply # 0

and cutting edge. Predictable, recycled ideas...there's just not much out there that sounds like innovation (i.e. what was encouraged and grew hip hop music). 808 sounds and simplified soft synth melodies have completely dominated the popular part of the artform. If the lyrics are witty...then you are lampooned as being "conscious" and dumbing it down is highly celebrated (either in an ironic way or sadly, in a relatable way). Sample laws have killed the collage element of hip hop music and neutered the value of record digging, and lost is the richness of an added element of story telling through sample choice and reference. Artists that used to lead the way in innovation and depth of the art have been forced to either adapt or die. The term "played out" played itself out. Replication is encouraged. There's stuff out there that's good, but it (A) doesn't make money and (B) has little or no impact on the overall culture.

A lot of the folks on here are older and have witnessed this evolution. There's also an equal number of folks on the board (and proportionally in society) who don't appreciate the older movement and "hey, its sounds good...quit being a killjoy, you old bastard". Its lost on them that hip hop as a movement was carried by those who foresaw that it could be a higher art. The older folks resent what they perceive as a hijacking/cheapening of their artform, while the young folks resent the idea that music of their time (the soundtrack to their most impressed upon time of their lives) is put down by the older folks as cheap dumbed down bullsh**. That's why the lesson is mad.

melmag
Charter member
18469 posts
Sat May-17-14 10:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Why do u assume everybody is inherently mad?"
In response to Reply # 0

I know its ur schtick here, buts shits tired.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2885280 Previous topic | Next topic