Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2884144

Subject: "The new Black Keys album uses the same chord progression on the whole LP..." Previous topic | Next topic
Admbmb
Member since Sep 16th 2009
1902 posts
Tue May-06-14 08:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The new Black Keys album uses the same chord progression on the whole LP..."

Im serious. I know they've used the same progression on the last album, but its ridiculous on this one. Literally half the songs have the exact same chord progression and the singer sings the exact melodic notes over it.

Oh...and not really digging the album at all. Total snoozefest.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Attack & Release was the last album that I really was interested
May 07th 2014
"Psychotic Girl" still my fav Black Keys song
May 13th 2014
Yea, not really feeling this one either.
May 09th 2014
Thee Oh Sees' The Masters' Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In
May 09th 2014
huh
May 09th 2014
RE: The new Black Keys album uses the same chord progression on the whol...
May 10th 2014
same
May 11th 2014
      Jack Whites partly responsible for their success, him fucking around
May 12th 2014
I'm really gonna have to check it out and hear this for myself...
May 12th 2014
I really got put on to them at El Camino ...
May 12th 2014
Well, my beef with Black Keys (and White Stripes for that matter)...
May 12th 2014
      I feel you...
May 14th 2014

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Wed May-07-14 12:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Attack & Release was the last album that I really was interested"
In response to Reply # 0

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Tue May-13-14 02:01 AM

11. ""Psychotic Girl" still my fav Black Keys song"
In response to Reply # 1

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

bwood
Member since Apr 03rd 2006
8608 posts
Fri May-09-14 01:23 PM

2. "Yea, not really feeling this one either."
In response to Reply # 0

It's not as good as their previous efforts. I listened to it twice and wasn't really feeling it outside of the title track.

------------------------------------------
America from 9:00 on: https://youtu.be/GUwLCQU10KQ

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Fri May-09-14 03:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Thee Oh Sees' The Masters' Bedroom Is Worth Spending a Night In"
In response to Reply # 0

gave me that same feeling. but I really, really liked that album.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri May-09-14 04:38 PM

4. "huh"
In response to Reply # 3

iamsodaft
Member since May 10th 2014
6 posts
Sat May-10-14 03:57 PM

5. "RE: The new Black Keys album uses the same chord progression on the whol..."
In response to Reply # 0

They have always bored the life out of me. I never saw the hype. I have listened to most of their releases too, but I always feigned interest in them because my girl liked them so much. But even songs like Howlin For You and Tighten Up I do not really care for. Just too bland for me, I guess.

drugs
Charter member
9149 posts
Sun May-11-14 12:28 PM

6. "same"
In response to Reply # 5

I see why Jack White hates them..... cause they're fucking lame.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Mon May-12-14 07:57 AM

7. "Jack Whites partly responsible for their success, him fucking around"
In response to Reply # 6

in the wake of Elephant in the mid-2000s, cozying up with the old-fart classic rockers trying to align with someone current for their own benefit, spreading himself thin amongst three bands, churning out music with no regard for quality control, focusing on running his label imprint, etc..........it was that void which the Black Keys were begging to step into for years before finally starting to catch somewhere around Attack & Release in '07.

I can't even speak to their last couple albums quality, really anything after the half-assed rap album.

They're playing arenas now but even people I know who tell me they're fans or have gone to see them in the past couple years don't really speak in specifics.

Just speaks to the desperation of the rock & roll crowd nowadays, I understand it but just can't get bother to be excited about it because I've already been in that place.

I'd rather just listen to other genres than force myself to ride for a band who have an aesthetic in the vein of old stuff I've liked even if they can't write/make memorable songs.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon May-12-14 10:32 AM

8. "I'm really gonna have to check it out and hear this for myself..."
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe they're going for a punk aesthetic. But, in my best impersonation from the De La Soul Is Dead Interludes, "I kinda like it."

I actually like their music. It's barebones and raw without all the fluff and obvious mainstream pop leanings that many rock bands have opted for nowadays.

And, I tend to sometimes like my rock over the top, many times opting to listen to 70's symphonic prog over the more recent stuff.

But, I like these guys and didn't notice the sole chord progression thing on the last album. Makes me want to go back and listen again, which I probably will.

But, I'm gonna listen to the new one and get back to you...

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

QBoogie
Member since Jun 05th 2002
5885 posts
Mon May-12-14 10:51 AM

9. "I really got put on to them at El Camino ..."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon May-12-14 10:51 AM by QBoogie

... which I dug. I haven't gotten into this one yet since I got other shit in the deck, HOWEVER I do like what these guys do. I feel Dan spits that regular guy spit quite well as to one can relate. That's just my opinion. I'll report on the release once I've absorbed.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Mon May-12-14 11:32 AM

10. "Well, my beef with Black Keys (and White Stripes for that matter)..."
In response to Reply # 8
Mon May-12-14 11:34 AM by Jakob Hellberg

...is that previous generations of blues-inspired indie-rock bands (think Pussy Galore/Jon spencer Blues explosion, Honeymoon Killers, the Gun Club, Mule, Gibson bros, Red Red Meat, Delta 72, Royal Trux in their mighty 92-93 era etc.) were still very much playing indie-rock/noise/Post-hardcore/punk/whatever with the *tonal language*/riffs etc. of blues-rock/classic rock/garage etc.

White Stripes and Black Keys on the other hand sound as if they are playing in an "authentic" old-fart classic rock style BUT in the *forms* of alternative rock (=stripped down arrangements, structures etc.) whereas their influences were jamming and grooving and having great basslines and drum-patterns etc. It's like form over content (=basslines, riffs, melodies etc.-obviously, a riff like "Seven nation army" is already classic but how many other riffs like that did Jack have? And Black Keys riffs are so tired and generic that I can only quote my buddy Jocke in Graveyard:STANDARD riffs) to me because the content is straight and generic; it's the form that makes it new but the form doesn't make it better, quite the opposite.

The bands of the past playing blues-rock were not playing this lazy shit, they were playing their asses off and previous blues-inspired indie-bands were still sounding punky or noisy and impossible to compare with their precedents. Black Keys has not managed to transcend their influences at all, they just offer an "alternative-rock"-friendly version of that sound; as someone who actually LOVE blues-based rock from the past, it just sounds weak in comparison and I suspect that a lot of the love those bands got was simply based on how much people missed DA BLOOZE in the context of modern, lily-white and anemic indie-rock, alternatively that modern day rock auidences are scared of good musicianship and want everything to be as stripped down as possible, after all, being good at your instrument is "cheesy"...

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed May-14-14 10:02 AM

12. "I feel you..."
In response to Reply # 10

Although I have heard some pretty interesting riffs from the Black Keys. Nothing on Seven Nation Army level, but, stuff that was able to carry the song and keep my head bouncing.

BUT, I will say that a major problem with many of the newer groups in that vein is that the loudness wars and studio tricks now allow many folks to get by on the impact of the sound rather than the actual musicianship. Meaning, the riff, without all the effects and maximized levels would sound mundane, but, with all the fixings, it hits you right where it needs to.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2884144 Previous topic | Next topic