Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2883731

Subject: "The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop (Swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
blinded by the lights
Member since Aug 31st 2008
625 posts
Sun May-04-14 05:07 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop (Swipe)"

Really interesting research/article:

http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

"Literary elites love to rep Shakespeare’s vocabulary: across his entire corpus, he uses 28,829 words, suggesting he knew over 100,000 words and arguably had the largest vocabulary, ever.

I decided to compare this data point against the most famous artists in hip hop. I used each artist’s first 35,000 lyrics. That way, prolific artists, such as Jay-Z, could be compared to newer artists, such as Drake."

"Yes I see all the nummmberrs... I still root for the dreeeamerrs... I thank God for the dreeeamerrs..." - Mos

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Whoa at this all.
May 04th 2014
RE: The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop (Swipe)
May 04th 2014
I tried to tell people man...Aesop is on another level lyrically
May 04th 2014
"Gopher Guts" was the best rap song of 2012.
May 04th 2014
Thoughts on where AZ would rank?
May 05th 2014
flow chart.
Jul 30th 2014
Pretty clear that Shakespeare was more than one person
Jul 30th 2014

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun May-04-14 06:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Whoa at this all. "
In response to Reply # 0

It's something I never would have thought of.

I did think Jay would be higher. Not many surprises though.

I also wondered how many rappers had the most similar vocabularies...that would be interesting

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Sun May-04-14 08:31 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop (Swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

This study is so awesome. I can definitely see how vocabulary correlates to my preferences for lyricists. I didn't see Keith Murray on there. I would think he'd be well above average.

Anonymous
Charter member
23227 posts
Sun May-04-14 08:44 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "I tried to tell people man...Aesop is on another level lyrically "
In response to Reply # 0

I understand his acquired taste as a downfall but he has gotten much tighter with his flow and he just packs so much into his verses and does so in a Unique and interesting way.

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Sun May-04-14 10:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. ""Gopher Guts" was the best rap song of 2012."
In response to Reply # 3

...and to be honest, I don't buy the "Aesop Rock is inaccessible nerd rap" line after None Shall Pass & Skelethon.

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

blinded by the lights
Member since Aug 31st 2008
625 posts
Mon May-05-14 04:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Thoughts on where AZ would rank?"
In response to Reply # 3

I feel like he'd crack the top five here

"Yes I see all the nummmberrs... I still root for the dreeeamerrs... I thank God for the dreeeamerrs..." - Mos

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 01:38 PM

6. "flow chart."
In response to Reply # 0

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0211/4926/files/P-RapVocab_ZOOM_ee643553-6317-45c4-b738-b6d4688639e6.jpg

"It's impossible to come to a consensus on the best rapper of all-time, but this statistical ranking may sway who you think is on top. Based on a study conducted by Matt Daniels, a data scientist in New York, Pop Chart Lab has created a print that ranks rappers by the size of their vocabulary, called The Hip-Hop Flow Chart.

Daniels' study was conducted by analyzing 100 rappers' first 35,000 lyrics, which averages out to the artists' first three to five albums or EP's. AESOP Rock comes in first by a long haul at 7,392 words, over a thousand words more than in Herman Melville's Moby Dick. Jay Z, Busta Rhymes, Ludacris, and Childish Gambino stand in the middle, around the 4,000 mark, while DMX trails with a vocabulary of only 3,214 words."

http://www.complex.com/style/2014/07/the-hip-hop-flow-chart

___

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

louie_depalma
Member since May 12th 2009
1677 posts
Wed Jul-30-14 01:40 PM

7. "Pretty clear that Shakespeare was more than one person"
In response to Reply # 0

http://rappers.mdaniels.com.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/

Lobby The Lesson topic #2883731 Previous topic | Next topic