Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2882116

Subject: "?uesto: When the People Cheer: How Hip-Hop Failed Black America (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Melanism
Charter member
20450 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:16 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"?uesto: When the People Cheer: How Hip-Hop Failed Black America (swipe)"

http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/questlove-on-how-hip-hop-failed-black-america.html

When the People Cheer: How Hip-Hop Failed Black America
By Questlove

This is the first in a weekly series of six essays tracing the way black music has shaped, and been shaped by, black culture over the last five decades.

There are three famous quotes that haunt me and guide me though my days. The first is from John Bradford, the 16th-century English reformer. In prison for inciting a mob, Bradford saw a parade of prisoners on their way to being executed and said, “There but for the grace of God go I.” (Actually, he said “There but for the grace of God goes John Bradford,” but the switch to the pronoun makes it work for the rest of us.) The second comes from Albert Einstein, who disparagingly referred to quantum entanglement as “spooky action at a distance.” And for the third, I go to Ice Cube, the chief lyricist of N.W.A., who delivered this manifesto in “Gangsta Gangsta” back in 1988: “Life ain’t nothing but bitches and money.”

Those three ideas may seem distant from one another, but if you set them up and draw lines between them, that’s triangulation. Bradford’s idea, of course, is about providence, about luck and gratitude: You only have your life because you don’t have someone else’s. At the simplest level, I think about that often. I could be where others are, and by extension, they could be where I am. You don’t want to be insensible to that. You don’t want to be an ingrate. (By the by, Bradford’s quote has come to be used to celebrate good fortune — when people say it, they’re comforting themselves with the fact that things could be worse — but in fact, his own good fortune lasted only a few years before he was burned at the stake.)

Einstein was talking about physics, of course, but to me, he’s talking about something closer to home — the way that other people affect you, the way that your life is entangled in theirs whether or not there’s a clear line of connection. Just because something is happening to a street kid in Seattle or a small-time outlaw in Pittsburgh doesn’t mean that it’s not also happening, in some sense, to you. Human civilization is founded on a social contract, but all too often that gets reduced to a kind of charity: Help those who are less fortunate, think of those who are different. But there’s a subtler form of contract, which is the connection between us all.

And then there’s Ice Cube, who seems to be talking about life’s basic appetites — what’s under the lid of the id — but is in fact proposing a world where that social contract is destroyed, where everyone aspires to improve themselves and only themselves, thoughts of others be damned. What kind of world does that create?

Those three ideas, Bradford’s and Einstein’s and Cube’s, define the three sides of a triangle, and I’m standing in it with pieces of each man: Bradford’s rueful contemplation, Einstein’s hair, Ice Cube’s desires. Can the three roads meet without being trivial? This essay, and the ones that follow it, will attempt to find out. I’m going to do things a little differently, with some madness in my method. I may not refer back to these three thinkers and these three thoughts, but they’re always there, hovering, as I think through what a generation of hip-hop has wrought. And I’m not going to handle the argument in a straight line. But don’t wonder too much when it wanders. I’ll get back on track.

I want to start with a statement: Hip-hop has taken over black music. At some level, this is a complex argument, with many outer rings, but it has a simple, indisputable core. Look at the music charts, or think of as many pop artists as you can, and see how many of the black ones aren’t part of hip-hop. There aren’t many hip-hop performers at the top of the charts lately: You have perennial winners like Jay Z, Kanye West, and Drake, along with newcomers like Kendrick Lamar, and that’s about it. Among women, it’s a little bit more complicated, but only a little bit. The two biggest stars, Beyoncé and Rihanna, are considered pop (or is that pop-soul), but what does that mean anymore? In their case, it means that they’re offering a variation on hip-hop that’s reinforced by their associations with the genre’s biggest stars: Beyoncé with Jay Z, of course, and Rihanna with everyone from Drake to A$AP Rocky to Eminem.

It wasn’t always that way. Back in the late '80s, when I graduated high school, you could count the number of black musical artists that weren’t in hip-hop on two hands — maybe. You had folksingers like Tracy Chapman, rock bands like Living Colour, pop acts like Lionel Richie, many kinds of soul singers — and that doesn’t even contend with megastars like Michael Jackson and Prince, who thwarted any easy categorization. Hip-hop was plenty present — in 1989 alone, you had De La Soul and the Geto Boys and EPMD and Boogie Down Productions and Ice-T and Queen Latifah — but it was just a piece of the pie. In the time since, hip-hop has made like the Exxon Valdez (another 1989 release): It spilled and spread.

So what if hip-hop, which was once a form of upstart black-folk music, came to dominate the modern world? Isn’t that a good thing? It seems strange for an artist working in the genre to be complaining, and maybe I’m not exactly complaining. Maybe I’m taking a measure of my good fortune. Maybe. Or maybe it’s a little more complicated than that. Maybe domination isn’t quite a victory. Maybe everpresence isn’t quite a virtue.

Twenty years ago, when my father first heard about my hip-hop career, he was skeptical. He didn't know where it was all headed. In his mind, a drummer had a real job, like working as music director for Anita Baker. But if I’m going to marvel at the way that hip-hop overcame his skepticism and became synonymous with our broader black American culture, I’m going to have to be clear with myself that marvel is probably the wrong word. Black culture, which has a long tradition of struggling against (and at the same time, working in close collaboration with) the dominant white culture, has rounded the corner of the 21st century with what looks in one sense like an unequivocal victory. Young America now embraces hip-hop as the signal pop-music genre of its time. So why does that victory feel strange: not exactly hollow, but a little haunted?

I have wondered about this for years, and worried about it for just as many years. It’s kept me up at night or kept me distracted during the day. And after looking far and wide, I keep coming back to the same answer, which is this: The reason is simple. The reason is plain. Once hip-hop culture is ubiquitous, it is also invisible. Once it’s everywhere, it is nowhere. What once offered resistance to mainstream culture (it was part of the larger tapestry, spooky-action style, but it pulled at the fabric) is now an integral part of the sullen dominant. Not to mention the obvious backlash conspiracy paranoia: Once all of black music is associated with hip-hop, then Those Who Wish to Squelch need only squelch one genre to effectively silence an entire cultural movement.

And that’s what it’s become: an entire cultural movement, packed into one hyphenated adjective. These days, nearly anything fashioned or put forth by black people gets referred to as “hip-hop,” even when the description is a poor or pointless fit. “Hip-hop fashion” makes a little sense, but even that is confusing: Does it refer to fashions popularized by hip-hop musicians, like my Lego heart pin, or to fashions that participate in the same vague cool that defines hip-hop music? Others make a whole lot of nonsense: “Hip-hop food”? “Hip-hop politics”? “Hip-hop intellectual”? And there’s even “hip-hop architecture.” What the hell is that? A house you build with a Hammer?
This doesn’t happen with other genres. There’s no folk-music food or New Wave fashion, once you get past food for thought and skinny ties. There’s no junkanoo architecture. The closest thing to a musical style that does double-duty as an overarching aesthetic is punk, and that doesn’t have the same strict racial coding. On the one hand, you can point to this as proof of hip-hop’s success. The concept travels. But where has it traveled? The danger is that it has drifted into oblivion. The music originally evolved to paint portraits of real people and handle real problems at close range — social contract, anyone? — but these days, hip-hop mainly rearranges symbolic freight on the black starliner. Containers on the container ship are taken from here to there — and never mind the fact that they may be empty containers. Keep on pushin’ and all that, but what are you pushing against? As it has become the field rather than the object, hip-hop has lost some of its pertinent sting. And then there’s the question of where hip-hop has arrived commercially, or how fast it’s departing. The music industry in general is sliding, and hip-hop is sliding maybe faster than that. The largest earners earn large, but not at the rate they once did. And everyone beneath that upper level is fading fast.
The other day, we ran into an old man who is also an old fan. He loves the Roots and what we do. Someone mentioned the changing nature of the pop-culture game, and it made him nostalgic for the soul music of his youth. “It’ll be back,” he said. “Things go in cycles.” But do they? If you really track the ways that music has changed over the past 200 years, the only thing that goes in cycles is old men talking about how things go in cycles. History is more interested in getting its nut off. There are patterns, of course, boom and bust and ways in which certain resources are exhausted. There are foundational truths that are stitched into the human DNA. But the art forms used to express those truths change without recurring. They go away and don’t come back. When hip-hop doesn’t occupy an interesting place on the pop-culture terrain, when it is much of the terrain and loses interest even in itself, then what?

Back to John Bradford for a moment: I’m lucky to be here. That goes without saying, but I’ll say it. Still, as the Roots round into our third decade, we shoulder a strange burden, which is that people expect us to be both meaningful and popular. We expect that. But those things don’t necessarily work together, especially in the hip-hop world of today. The winners, the top dogs, make art mostly about their own victories and the victory of their genre, but that triumphalist pose leaves little room for anything else. Meaninglessness takes hold because meaninglessness is addictive. People who want to challenge this theory point to Kendrick Lamar, and the way that his music, at least so far, has some sense of the social contract, some sense of character. But is he just the exception that proves the rule? Time will tell. Time is always telling. Time never stops telling.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Doesn't answer the title. How did it fail Black America?
Apr 22nd 2014
RE: Doesn't answer the title. How did it fail Black America?
Apr 22nd 2014
"This is the first in a weekly series of six essays...."
Apr 22nd 2014
      Is it the title of the series or the article...
Apr 22nd 2014
      It would take six essays to prove the premise
Nov 30th 2019
I can see where he's heading
Apr 22nd 2014
tl;dr
Apr 22nd 2014
I fux with this the long way n/m
Apr 22nd 2014
I blame the south
Apr 22nd 2014
it started a loooong time before that, trust me
Apr 22nd 2014
Maybe but they piled the most shit out of everyone
Apr 22nd 2014
LOL @ blaming the south when NYC fucked up the mainstream
Apr 23rd 2014
RE: every major label office is in nyc
Apr 23rd 2014
      The South still makes the music.
Apr 24th 2014
"rapping is just talking shit" (C) dre3000
Apr 22nd 2014
the essence of his essay is the same thing that affects re: DJing
Apr 22nd 2014
i got you
Apr 23rd 2014
RE: the essence of his essay is the same thing that affects re: DJing
Nov 27th 2019
cliff notes
Apr 22nd 2014
With ?uesto You Don't Need Cliff Notes You Need A Decoder Ring
Apr 23rd 2014
Great read, looking forward to more.
May 06th 2014

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:41 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Doesn't answer the title. How did it fail Black America?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-22-14 11:46 AM by imcvspl

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

rileykillis
Member since Mar 28th 2014
60 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 12:05 PM

3. "RE: Doesn't answer the title. How did it fail Black America?"
In response to Reply # 1

His point is that Hip-Hop failed by marrying the mainstream to the point that it was essentially neutered as a revolutionary voice. I don't agree exactly, but I think that's the gist. In some ways tho, the early rap and hip-hop successes were "scary" or "dangerous" to the mainstream (much like punk) and that is a relationship that has changed/evolved (again much like punk) into a benign acceptance which is a negative IMO.

This is similar to the growing pains in the tattooer community at the moment. My mom has a fkn tattoo. Not as "cool" as it was in the past. Etc. ---- Progress? Depends who you ask.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 04:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. ""This is the first in a weekly series of six essays....""
In response to Reply # 1

C'mon man. lol

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 06:16 PM

10. "Is it the title of the series or the article..."
In response to Reply # 6

I thought the article. Just overall seems like a disconnect between the two. I appreciate the thought and sentiment but it just reads weird to me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sat Nov-30-19 10:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "It would take six essays to prove the premise "
In response to Reply # 6
Sat Nov-30-19 10:02 PM by spirit

He is already one essay in the hole.

And is he really asking what hiphop fashion is? WTF? Decades after Karl Kani, Cross Colours, etc?

There was also a brief grunge fashion period, punk has a fashion component, etc. Questo is talking about 20 different things here and not making any of his points well. He needs an editor.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 11:47 AM

2. "I can see where he's heading"
In response to Reply # 0

Hopefully he doesn't sugarcoat it

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

bruce bammer
Member since Apr 01st 2014
469 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 12:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "tl;dr"
In response to Reply # 0

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 02:59 PM

5. "I fux with this the long way n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 04:53 PM

7. "I blame the south "
In response to Reply # 0

We got this new guy at work he's from Atl first thing I said to him was thanks for fucking up hiphop. He understood

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 05:33 PM

9. "it started a loooong time before that, trust me"
In response to Reply # 7

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Kid Ray
1702 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 06:24 PM

11. "Maybe but they piled the most shit out of everyone"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Apr-22-14 06:25 PM by Kid Ray

From Master P up till now shit shit shit shit shit

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 07:22 AM

15. "LOL @ blaming the south when NYC fucked up the mainstream"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed Apr-23-14 07:23 AM by Nick Has a Problem..

We didn't matter on a large scale. We stayed to ourselves and supported our own.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 02:55 PM

16. "RE: every major label office is in nyc "
In response to Reply # 7

most of the decisions are made in nyc
hov, who has enormous clout & invites all the ceos on his yact is again nyc
the labels ran to the south/west because it was authentic & solely independent
i could go in, but blaming the south is the most generic reply to anything
hip hop is & should be pass still being a 'nyc thing'

Kid Ray
1702 posts
Thu Apr-24-14 12:53 AM

18. "The South still makes the music."
In response to Reply # 16

I blame white people for what gets played

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 05:10 PM

8. ""rapping is just talking shit" (C) dre3000"
In response to Reply # 0

(from an old hip hop connection interview)

not saying thats all it is, but these days, i do kinda wonder. obv that doesnt necessarily matter on a musical/rhythmic/sonic level, but intellectually, it does worry me.

MajrLeaguer
Charter member
806 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 07:17 PM

12. "the essence of his essay is the same thing that affects re: DJing"
In response to Reply # 0

for me these days. I learned much/most of what I know technically, culturally, and inspirationally from hip-hop and it's faculties. And though I've always played a variety of music, I play in a hip-hop style (ie: cutting, mixing, blending, etc.) ... a style that seems very out of vogue with the "mainstream" or default audience. There's this understated (somewhat) impression from people that hip-hop is now "over" so they're comfortable disassociating themselves with it (in many cases it's a disassociation from black folk/culture in general due to the reassertion of white identity absent of compassion for minority realities and struggles).

We're being asked to make the audience "comfortable" by not playing stuff that will "scare" them, be conciously "diverse" (not just adventurous of your own prerogative), etc. Like they're ready to get back to civilization or something.

Hope y'all understand what I'm saying, pardon if I'm not clear.

Twitter.com/djRBI
Instagram.com/DJ_RBI

"I'm That Guy", Mike G (J Beez)

Mash_Comp
Member since Jul 07th 2003
66714 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 09:50 PM

17. "i got you"
In response to Reply # 12

makes sense when you look at it from that perspective.

i think the idea of risk taking has died.

www.dumhi.com -- We are ALL dumhi

naame
Charter member
21017 posts
Wed Nov-27-19 12:14 PM

20. "RE: the essence of his essay is the same thing that affects re: DJing"
In response to Reply # 12

America has imported more warlord theocracy from Afghanistan than it has exported democracy.

toratora
Member since Mar 30th 2014
25 posts
Tue Apr-22-14 10:37 PM

13. "cliff notes"
In response to Reply # 0

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Wed Apr-23-14 12:05 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "With ?uesto You Don't Need Cliff Notes You Need A Decoder Ring"
In response to Reply # 13

Quest got his own pocket dimension that he pulls his ideas from that some can't really decipher unless you know that place he pulled his form of speak from, reading the lines that's between lines is what shows in his manuscripts.

When I read this I said to myself, "NIGGA PLEASE, get to the fuckin' point, what does this got to do with the album?", sometimes I really wish Blackthought would speak up for himself at least once per album about the concepts.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue May-06-14 03:50 PM

19. "Great read, looking forward to more."
In response to Reply # 0

?uest put on paper what we've all been thinking, and even debating in the lesson

answers a lot of questions

Well done sir, well done.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Lobby The Lesson topic #2882116 Previous topic | Next topic