Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2880986

Subject: "Open Mike Eagle- First single off new album "Dark Comedy"" Previous topic | Next topic
Brougham 2334
Member since Feb 21st 2004
564 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 08:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Open Mike Eagle- First single off new album "Dark Comedy""

Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy Morning Show (feat. Toy Light)

https://soundcloud.com/mellomusicgroup/open-mike-eagle-dark-comedy-morning-show-feat-toy-light

From the upcoming album "Dark Comedy," available June 10th from Mello Music Group.

Stay up on mystic rap secrets: @Mike_Eagle

ABOUT THE ALBUM:
One famous Oscar Wilde aphorism claimed: “if you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise, they’ll kill you.” Open Mike Eagle lacks the capacity to tell anything but the truth. In a nation that prizes self-aggrandizing buffoons and artful liars, morbid humor might be the sanest response—a tourniquet to stop the toxicity from spreading.

If this sounds heavy, it’s probably because it is. Dark Comedy, the Mello Music debut from the critically revered Los Angeles rapper, is mostly about the failure of Karl Marx’s Proletariat Revolution. Yet its brilliance stems less from the novelty of its ideas than from the ingenuity of its wordplay, its caustic whimsy, and infectious melodies.

Opening track “Dark Comedy Morning Show” operates as a shorthand manifesto. For those who haven’t heard, Eagle’s bad at sarcasm, so he works in absurdity (when trying not to wish death on the upper class). The airing of grievances includes racial stereotypes, inner-city warfare and Facebook logging all of his favorite sandwiches. It’s Slug’s “Modern Man’s Hustle” if the Atmosophere frontman had been haunted by James Baldwin’s ghost instead of heavily tattooed exes.

Lead single “Qualifiers” finds Eagle subverting the notions of traditional rap braggadocio and lyrical terrain. His revolution isn’t just some abstract political ideals, but at the crux of his approach to art. This is intended to dump Coconut Water and whiskey on the unsuspecting heads of those with false ideas of authenticity or what rap should be.

Lest you mistake him for a meditating yoga-panted rapper, the rapper raised on the Southside of Chicago, wields wordplay as sharp and weird as any of his peers. He proclaims himself “the King of all rappers who don’t condone date rape.” Molotov Cocktails are helpfully tossed from fellow conspirators Kool AD and comedian, Hannibal Burress.

Former hockey star Luc Robataille is rhymed with the Kobra Kai Dojo from Karate Kid. In the same breath, Eagle cracks about being too old to die. It’s absurdity in the sense that Joseph Heller deployed it in Catch 22. He will live forever or die in the attempt.

If you’re just tuning into Eagle’s stellar career on album number four, the LA Weekly anointed him last year as the hottest thing in indie rap. Pitchfork called him a “whiz with matching easy-going hooks to intimate personal reflection.” But Dark Comedy could be the best thing he’s ever done—a record that captures the perennial struggle between art and commerce, the last half-century of widening class rift, and the need to be funny or die.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Dude's the best.
Apr 16th 2014
A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)
May 15th 2014
RE: A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)
May 15th 2014
May 16th 2014
      'preciate it
May 20th 2014
Jun 10th 2014
He's in that Phonte lane where I have to listen to him more to get it.
May 15th 2014
Dark Comedy out today....
Jun 10th 2014
So far, like it better than his last full-length
Jun 10th 2014
Will definitely cop after work.
Jun 10th 2014
I think he lapped Nocando for me with this one
Jun 10th 2014
Bookmark.
Jun 10th 2014
Like this track. Will check out other stuff.
Jun 20th 2014
the album is very good, here's my interview with him
Jun 11th 2014
Pitchfork 8.0
Jun 20th 2014
Very entertaining
Jun 20th 2014
Doug Stamper ft Hannibal Buress (VIDEO)
Jun 24th 2014
up cause this is probably the 2nd best album of the last 5 years
Feb 01st 2015
Wow, I wouldn't go that far lol. It was a sleeper for sure though.
Feb 01st 2015
i'm digging it. thanks! n/m
Feb 02nd 2015

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 12:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Dude's the best."
In response to Reply # 0

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Brougham 2334
564 posts
Thu May-15-14 01:37 PM

2. "A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu May-15-14 01:45 PM by Brougham 2334

Haven't quite figured out why the Lesson shows no love to Mike, but here is some more amazing new shit from your favorite rapper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUCgQbemBdE

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Thu May-15-14 02:30 PM

3. "RE: A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu May-15-14 02:32 PM by Boogie Stimuli

>Haven't quite figured out why the Lesson shows no love to
>Mike

I've seen people talking about him, but it's hard to explain why I can't get into
him even though I've been trying so hard to like this guy.
He sounds like he's not interested in his own raps on these two songs.
His beats don't knock on the songs I've heard either.
His delivery is boring.
He sings melodies that are more annoying than catchy.
On paper, his lyrics are dope tho. He has FANTASTIC concepts... I mean really fuckin' good concepts.
If you describe him, he sounds like an artist I should really be into,
but he's just difficult listening overall for me.
I definitely support his rise tho. No doubt. I think a dude like him is needed,
especially right now.
I would say turn me on to some of his doper stuff... but I'm afraid I won't like it.
I've clicked through videos on youtube before, looking for a song of his I might dig.
If you have the time tho, I'll check out whatever you recommend.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Brougham 2334
564 posts
Fri May-16-14 08:21 AM

5. "RE: A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey, if you tried to listen and didn't like, not much else I can say, but I'd say check these 5 tracks:

Elephant In The Pressroom w/ Busdriver & Open Mike Eagle
https://soundcloud.com/hellfyreclub/elephant-in-the-pressroom

Universe Man ft Serengeti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFLGFijx5Y

Qualifiers(Live)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2totiszy0ws

Middling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U32uEEcV_Q

Rent Party Revolution (remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdQTl54SFxs

If you aren't a fan of any of these, I doubt you'd ever be into the guy.

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Tue May-20-14 06:15 AM

6. "'preciate it"
In response to Reply # 5

>Elephant In The Pressroom w/ Busdriver & Open Mike Eagle

That's him rapping 2nd right? Yo that verse was great and hilarious

>Universe Man ft Serengeti

This is dope. Definitely has a Gorillaz/Del vibe, but I guess I just have
to get used to this cat rapping like he's scared to speak.
His lyrics are always ill tho.

>Qualifiers(Live)

This song was dope, and he rapped like he wasn't afraid of his own voice for a change.
Good shit.

>Middling

Lmfao. This is great.

>Rent Party Revolution (remix)

Rapping about some real shit as always. I'd love to hear this with a less
busy/overshadowing beat, because the lyrics are dope.

I can definitely fuck with these joints. Thanks for taking the time to post
those, fam.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

gatsbythegreat
Member since Jan 04th 2008
158 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 12:26 PM

10. "RE: A History of Modern Dance (VIDEO)"
In response to Reply # 3

>He sounds like he's not interested in his own raps on these
>two songs.
>His beats don't knock on the songs I've heard either.
>His delivery is boring.
>He sings melodies that are more annoying than catchy.
>On paper, his lyrics are dope tho. He has FANTASTIC
>concepts... I mean really fuckin' good concepts.

Exactly how I feel about him, almost word for word

It was all a dream
http://soundcloud.com/gatsby-the-great-1

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28842 posts
Thu May-15-14 03:33 PM

4. "He's in that Phonte lane where I have to listen to him more to get it."
In response to Reply # 0

No shots at nobody because both artists have incredible talent.

On second listen, I like this. Thanks for putting me on. It's like relatable grown man rap. Hopefully, there aren't 10 features on this album from rappers.

No empathy for white misery (c) BDot

"root for everybody black haters say that's crazy, wow..."

Brougham 2334
564 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 08:21 AM

7. "Dark Comedy out today...."
In response to Reply # 0

http://mellomusicgroup.bandcamp.com/album/dark-comedy

The best $7.99 you will ever spend.

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6737 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 11:52 AM

8. "So far, like it better than his last full-length"
In response to Reply # 7

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 11:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Will definitely cop after work."
In response to Reply # 7

Very much looking forward to it.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 05:43 PM

11. "I think he lapped Nocando for me with this one"
In response to Reply # 0

Also, Hannibal can kinda spit.

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Tue Jun-10-14 06:21 PM

12. "Bookmark."
In response to Reply # 0

normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Fri Jun-20-14 12:29 PM

15. "Like this track. Will check out other stuff."
In response to Reply # 12

atruhead
Charter member
85230 posts
Wed Jun-11-14 07:33 AM

13. "the album is very good, here's my interview with him"
In response to Reply # 0

http://goinradio.com/2014/06/10/open-mike-eagle-interview/

Brougham 2334
564 posts
Fri Jun-20-14 10:33 AM

14. "Pitchfork 8.0"
In response to Reply # 0

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19477-open-mike-eagle-dark-comedy/

Somewhere between Richard Pryor going platinum and the latest episode of Louie, the establishment of comedy as a filter between the outside world and an individual's churning-brain anxiety took a deep hold in the mainstream pop-culture consciousness. The more that once-uncommon voices are allowed to speak as themselves, the likelier it is that they'll slip their grievances and worries in under the cover of slyly built jokes.

Open Mike Eagle's solo career pushed him from Project Blowed cog to a spotlight that gave him space to ruminate over his fights against orthodoxy, starting with hip-hop's (his first two album titles: Unapologetic Art Rap and Rappers Will Die of Natural Causes) and working his way outwards from there. In the process, he's found a strong lane as an MC who cracks wise in both senses of the term. For each handful of fans that came to him through a connection with the Los Angeles underground hip-hop community, there's at least one who heard about him through stand-up stars like Hannibal Buress or Paul F. Tompkins.

So his latest album, Dark Comedy, pipes in a laugh track on its semi-titular opening track, "Dark Comedy Morning Show," and Mike Eagle makes sure it comes in clear after the more raw-nerved lines—"I flew off the handle, and boy are my arms tired"; "If another dude calls me a racist, I'm'a snap"; "There's mad shootings on the news/ Unless it's in the Chi, cause blacks and Mexicans can die". The song sums up the whole album's "on that laugh to keep from crying tip" operating mode in just three verses, but there are new angles and transformative concepts that keep the balance unpredictably gallows-humored throughout.

"Informations" sets up some Tetsuo the Iron Man-meets-Videodrome body horror that plays to smartphone-addiction fears, then leavens it with scatological humor ("When I pass gas it sounds like a fax machine") and a sense that he's actually thrilled with the man-machine fusion. The line in "Doug Stamper (Advice Raps)" where he admonishes white rappers to "Quit rappin' in your hood voice/ Sound like a clown 100-pounder that took 'roids" both cuts closer and leans goofier when he actually imitates it as a dopey "HARR RAAR RAAR RAAR RAAAGH". Even when he threatens to lean towards unadulterated stress-rap, he undercuts it by titling his most severe bout of venting "Sadface Penance Raps" and cutting it off after less than a minute and a half under the pretext that the beat malfunctioned. The sung hook, lifted from They Might Be Giants' "Don't Let's Start", that falls victim to this truncated ending: "No one in the world ever gets what they want, and that is beautiful."

Mike is an artist who thrives on working through some potentially inaccessible or confrontational thoughts and feelings using a very upfront and deceptively easygoing way with jokes and wordplay. That's not just in the references he throws around ("Thirsty Ego Raps" gives not-entirely-non sequitur nods to Dave Gahan and Michel'le in consecutive lines), or his knack for internal rhymes and verse construction that actually scan like well-timed improv asides; it's also in how he builds up a self-portrait that establishes his own agency while still opening himself up to the possibilities of camaraderie and community.

"Qualifiers," which he recorded a live version of in a laundromat, should stand as his newest signature song for that reason. He pits party-rocking impulses alongside unglamorous but important fatherhood work by rhyming "get up and dance" with "I wipe my son's ass and get shit on my hands," jabs at hood-pass-hungry vultures questioning his cred ("Fuck you if you're a white man that assumes I speak for black folks/ Fuck you if you're a white man who thinks I can't speak for black folks"), and builds a hook that upends ego-tripping with weasel words: "we the best, mostly/ Sometimes the freshest rhymers/ We the tightest kinda/ Respect my qualifiers". It's frank modesty in terms that any independent artist ever prone to self-second-guessing should recognize.

That nervous energy radiates through everyone in Mike's orbit, whether it's a characteristically mellow/jittery Kool A.D. feigning ignorance and riffing absurdist logic on "Informations" or Buress turning basic common courtesy into snarky older-brother wisdom on "Doug Stamper (Advice Raps)" with a Biz-caliber rap verse. (Sample line: "Wash your hands when you touch your l'il dirty dick/ And dry 'em off before you come tryin' to shake my shit".) Even the beats—Ultra Combo's Cloud Rap for Airports-esque "Very Much Money (Ice King Dream)", Dibia$e's chunky synths bouncily ambling in low-g on the dream gig with a catch story "Jon Lovitz (Fantasy Booking Yarn)", Jeremiah Jae laying down treated strings that sound like aluminum being table sawed on "A History of Modern Dance"—hang on a precipice between whimsical irreverence and real to-the-gut emotional immediacy.

It all builds off a feeling that this anxiety touches everyone, that even if Mike's a singular kind of weirdo, his worries are our worries. So he's feeling out the process of coming to happy terms with the weirdness he and his friends inhabit, while still wishing it came with easy communication or self-sufficient success. Whether it's through casual observation or the to-the-bone identity struggles, Open Mike Eagle's overlap between amusing insights and uncomfortable truths makes for one of the most compelling indie-rap listens of the year so far.

ToeJam
Charter member
2102 posts
Fri Jun-20-14 05:05 PM

16. "Very entertaining"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude has a presence that is engrossing, and a witty sense of humor.

Brougham 2334
564 posts
Tue Jun-24-14 11:21 AM

17. "Doug Stamper ft Hannibal Buress (VIDEO)"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2xSziO_L1A

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Sun Feb-01-15 05:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "up cause this is probably the 2nd best album of the last 5 years"
In response to Reply # 0

esp if you add the exile remix.

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Sun Feb-01-15 10:10 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
19. "Wow, I wouldn't go that far lol. It was a sleeper for sure though."
In response to Reply # 18

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

A Love Supreme
Member since Nov 25th 2003
3050 posts
Mon Feb-02-15 05:10 AM

20. "i'm digging it. thanks! n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2880986 Previous topic | Next topic