Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2880931

Subject: "This sucks. AC/DC retiring." Previous topic | Next topic
denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 08:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"This sucks. AC/DC retiring."
Tue Apr-15-14 08:48 PM by denny

And it's really sad. Malcolm Young had a stroke. Apparently they went into the studio to start a new record and he realized he couldn't play like he used to. Also been suggestions that his condition is pretty serious beyond just the band having to quit. Presser scheduled in a few days.

Link:

http://theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/rip-acdc-1973-2014.html

Will go down as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. They're last album was frigging awesome. How many rock bands still made good music this long after their youth? I'm guessing one.

I'm bummed. Hopefully he recovers enough to enjoy some family time in retirement.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I wish Malcolm Young a speedy recovery
Apr 16th 2014
It's not really sad...
Apr 16th 2014
      I'm not gonna debate if it's 'sad'.
Apr 17th 2014
           and another thing...
Apr 17th 2014
                I like Surrealistic Pillow...
Apr 17th 2014
                     f**k all y'all, Jefferson Airplane were great
Apr 17th 2014
Brian Johnson denies band's demise (swipe)
Apr 16th 2014

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 10:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I wish Malcolm Young a speedy recovery"
In response to Reply # 0

but other than that... IS it really sad as far as their activity as a group is concerned? It's not like their career has been tragically cut short while they were in their prime.

41 years is a decent run for anybody. They'd have had to have hung it up sooner or later. Probably sooner.

To quote Grace Slick, I don't like seeing senior citizens on the rock n' roll stage. Just retire, man. You've got money. It's okay.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "It's not really sad..."
In response to Reply # 1

...and this is coming from a guy who rates them as one of his favorite bands and hold their run from "Let there be rock" to "Back in black" as one of the strongest in rock. I also enjoyed their last two albums a lot. At the same time, it's quite telling that I haven't really played those records since they were released whereas I play their best shit-including "obscure" stuff like "Live from Atlantic studios"-on an almost monthly level; those albums were more "Yes, they can still make good music" than stuff that really improve their legacy and measure up with the peak material.

More importantly however is that wer'e dealing with a band who has made three albums of new material in the past 20 years; you have to look towards a certain Lesson-favorite to find a "relevant" (?) act less inactive. I don't really think of them as a functional band anymore but more like an "event"-type band who release a record every now as an excuse to go on a long tour and then stay silent for another decade or so.

HOWEVER, it's also worth pointing out that they still had the core lineup intact (well, Bon Scott is dead of course but that happened in 1980) and also they didn't really slide into irrelevance like many other veteran acts do. No, when they *did* release a new album, it sold well, even many more casual fans bought it and the tours were VERY well attended, more so than in the mid-late 80's actually so it's not really a Jefferson Airplane/Starship-type scenario. They may have been way past their prime but compared with, say, Rolling Stones or-LOL!-the Who, I think they still had something left to give even if it waouldn't be something earth-shaking or anything.

Anyway, I agree that it is a bit ridiculous with older guys rocking out on stage but AC/DC never made a "We built this city" like Slick or remixes with Pharell like Rolling Stones; they weren't really embarassing themselves or trying to remain relevant; I think they aged quite gracefully (well, as graceful as you can get while playing cock-rock)...

denny
11281 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 04:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "I'm not gonna debate if it's 'sad'."
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Apr-17-14 04:31 AM by denny

but what do you guys think about 'black ice'?

To me, that album rocks hard. And what other act can put out an album that good so much longer than their supposed prime? That shit is better than ANYTHING that the White Stripes have done. And yah...Can't think of another act that has done it THAT good after such a long time.

I welcome anyone to name some names in counter. The new Bowie album is pretty good...but he doesn't go back in time like them. Unless I'm forgetting something....there ain't noone.

To bring it back...it's all because of a Malcolm. He's the bandleader....he's the songwriter...he's the guy that designed their whole ride. Casual fans don't know that. Malcolm's the dude responsible for their whole sound, past and present.

And also, FUCK grace slick. Jefferson Airplane fucking sucked. And so did anything they did afterwards. That shit is the most overrated hippie music of all time. I can't even hear that shit without rolling my eyes.

And another thing....I'm loving that guitar magazine thing where they say ACDC get their tone by turning the amplifiers down. I say that all the time. Turn the amp down, turn the mic up. Now you can hear some details in the sound.

denny
11281 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 04:51 AM

5. "and another thing..."
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Apr-17-14 04:55 AM by denny

who gives an eff about a grace slick. Jefferson Airplane are the most overrated hippie bands of all time. I can't even listen to that shit without rolling my eyes.

I'm repeating myself. Real rocknroll.

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 06:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "I like Surrealistic Pillow..."
In response to Reply # 5

...that's a strong album that feels era-defining in a way. As for most overrated hippie-act, I'd agree if it wasn't for Janis Joplin/Big Brother who I find absolutely horrendous on every level; Jefferson Airplane at least has some (not many) good/great songs and a strong album.

Anyway, Grace didn't diss AC/DC, it was just a largely correct quote about old rockers, nothing to be worked up about man.

The idea of AC/DC without Malcolm does seem strange but it's worth pointing out that on the first AC/DC-tour I saw in 1988, there was actually a stand-in for him and people didn't seem to notice. At the same time, it was the worst AC/DC show I've seen and it's perfectly possible-even likely-that the absense of Malcolm and his distinct timing was a reason in retrospect. However, this was also when they had Simon Wright rather than the mighty Phil Rudd on drums and that was probably just as much of a dealbreaker; the combo Malcolm/Rudd is what gives AC/DC their distinct groove, if *both* are missing, it won't sound correct...

I'm at work now but I will write more later...

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Apr-17-14 12:23 PM

7. "f**k all y'all, Jefferson Airplane were great"
In response to Reply # 6

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

soulmatic
Member since Jan 26th 2007
4617 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 06:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Brian Johnson denies band's demise (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

LA Times swipe:
Brian Johnson says AC/DC not disbanding, but illness taints future

By Randy Lewis
Los Angeles Times (MCT)

AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson has told a British newspaper that rumors of the band’s impending breakup are only that.
“We are definitely getting together in May in Vancouver,” Johnson told the U.K.’s Telegraph. “We’re going to pick up some guitars, have a plonk, and see if anybody has got any tunes or ideas. If anything happens, we’ll record it.”
Reports that the long-running Australian rock band would be calling it quits revolved around news that guitarist Malcom Young, lead guitarist Angus Young’s older brother, is seriously ill.
In the interview with the Telegraph, Johnson did confirm that one of the band’s members has “a debilitating illness” that could affect how AC/DC moves forward.
“I wouldn’t like to say anything either way about the future,” Johnson said. “I’m not ruling anything out. One of the boys has a debilitating illness, but I don’t want to say too much about it. He is very proud and private, a wonderful chap. We’ve been pals for 35 years and I look up to him very much.”
The band subsequently released a statement identifying that band member as Malcolm Young, 61.
“After forty years of life dedicated to AC/DC, guitarist and founding member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health,” the statement said. “Malcolm would like to thank the group’s diehard legions of fans worldwide for their never-ending love and support.”
Johnson also told the Telegraph, “AC/DC is such a tight family. We’ve stuck to our guns through the Eighties and Nineties when people were saying we should change our clothes and our style. But we didn’t and people got it that we are the real deal.”
---------
sig:
I got Chad in my heart and DJ Screw in my cup.

Twitter: @chuy_vuitton

Lobby The Lesson topic #2880931 Previous topic | Next topic