Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2880503

Subject: "man, how laugh out loud terrible is this a few years later? (video)" Previous topic | Next topic
bruce bammer
Member since Apr 01st 2014
469 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 08:55 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"man, how laugh out loud terrible is this a few years later? (video)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7vObnFUJc

everything about this is straight cheese. lol.

the karoake-level production, the choreography with her pointing, the gay back-up dancers going 11/10 to save the video, editing the song so that it only has one verse and like 8 octave changes of the chorus, the cruise captain hat... everything.

in fact the only thing about this that doesn't suck is the shots of beyonces face with great lighting.

i know picking on beyonce for her "talent" is not far off from seriously critiquing a cute little kids music or something but man...
how AWFUL is this just a couple years after the fact?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Apr 12th 2014
This is her "bbqs and get togethers" song
Apr 13th 2014
I would watch that video 10 times everyday for the rest of my life
Apr 13th 2014
LOFL
Apr 13th 2014
nope. still dope. your taste sucks. nm
Apr 13th 2014
I dislike the chord changes
Apr 13th 2014
she got on them yeezy's tho
Apr 14th 2014
You gotta stop using musical terminology.
Apr 14th 2014
thanks for your correction.
Apr 14th 2014
      how you inadvertently write a word?
Apr 15th 2014
           RE: how you inadvertently write a word? - lol
Apr 15th 2014
           damn.
Apr 15th 2014
           ^^^Just Hit Him With That "Boom Boom Pow" Octavity of Depravity
Apr 15th 2014
           lol. good one.
Apr 15th 2014
           Damn bruh. serious body blow combo
Apr 15th 2014
           and....... end post
Apr 15th 2014
           RE: how you inadvertently write a word?
Apr 15th 2014
                If you must know....
Apr 16th 2014
                     thanks for explaining music to me.
Apr 16th 2014
                          RE: thanks for explaining music to me.
Apr 16th 2014
                          I agree with you in terms of the edit for the video version...the key
Apr 16th 2014

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 09:25 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "....."
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReI6gvzVP0Y

(yeah, I know. but just in *case*)

fluicide
Member since Aug 07th 2013
732 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 12:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "This is her "bbqs and get togethers" song"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Apr-13-14 12:42 PM by fluicide

Just corny enough that the ol folks don't tell you to turn it off...I always figured it's her song for the 50+ BLACK black folks that came up on soul music.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35243 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 01:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I would watch that video 10 times everyday for the rest of my life"
In response to Reply # 0

If it meant you would never post again

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 02:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "LOFL"
In response to Reply # 3

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 04:04 PM

5. "nope. still dope. your taste sucks. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

does it really matter?

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23876 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 04:15 PM

6. "I dislike the chord changes"
In response to Reply # 0

But, them titties is thuggin.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Mon Apr-14-14 12:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "she got on them yeezy's tho "
In response to Reply # 0

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Mon Apr-14-14 02:55 AM

8. "You gotta stop using musical terminology."
In response to Reply # 0

Everytime you post....

It's not an 'octave' change. It's called a 'key' change.

Off the top...we can add that to your misuse of the word 'harmony' and most hilarious of all....the word 'chord'.

Just stop. I don't care how many XXL magazines you read in 2004. You don't know shit about music.

bruce bammer
469 posts
Mon Apr-14-14 03:13 AM

9. "thanks for your correction."
In response to Reply # 8

i meant the repetitions of the chorus senselessly going up a key (inadvertently wrote octave) for nearly half the song.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 03:43 AM

10. "how you inadvertently write a word?"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue Apr-15-14 03:45 AM by denny

Yo....Michael Jordan was a pathetic basketball player. He barely ever made a 3 pointer from the free-throw line.

That's what you sound like to people who know music. Just shut up...or stop with the tone of authority. You haven't earned it.

and I wouldn't point out your stupid, ignorant misuses of terminology if you carried yourself with an ounce of humility. But no. You think you know everything. And that's why it's fun to make you look stupid.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35243 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 09:57 AM

11. "RE: how you inadvertently write a word? - lol"
In response to Reply # 10

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 10:02 AM

12. "damn."

lolz.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 03:57 PM

13. "^^^Just Hit Him With That "Boom Boom Pow" Octavity of Depravity"

bruce bammer
469 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 10:21 PM

17. "lol. good one."
In response to Reply # 13

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 05:33 PM

14. "Damn bruh. serious body blow combo"

aolhater
Member since Oct 14th 2002
1332 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 09:44 PM

15. "and....... end post"

*professional lurker*

bruce bammer
469 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 10:21 PM

16. "RE: how you inadvertently write a word?"

by not paying much attention while writing.

i type incorrect words, misspell things, make errors in punctuation all the time on here.

the sentiment i was expressing still the same even if i really didn't know the difference between a key/octave like you've tried to portray.

again, thanks for your correction.

denny
11281 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 06:34 AM

18. "If you must know...."
In response to Reply # 16

Those key changes that the Beyonce song is using come from gospel music. I've heard it referred to as 'climbing the ladder'. But it's a cliche for a reason. It's part of tradition in all American music. Take two semi-tones up and play the same thing.

You don't like it, cool. But it's a thing. Musical tradition and all that.

bruce bammer
469 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 07:11 AM

19. "thanks for explaining music to me."
In response to Reply # 18
Wed Apr-16-14 07:19 AM by bruce bammer

the problem is they altered the arrangement of the song and removed the second verse.
so it ends up being 1 verse, chorus and then endless octave changes until the end.
using that device is typically employed as a way to build momentum towards ending a song but in this case it ends up comprising the majority of the actual body of the song.
which musically makes little sense and sounds very odd.

Raytard
Member since Jun 06th 2005
1043 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 08:53 AM

20. "RE: thanks for explaining music to me."
In response to Reply # 19

>so it ends up being 1 verse, chorus and then endless octave
>changes until the end.

An octave means it's jumping the entire series of notes to get to the same note in a higher register. For example, starting at middle "C" & counting up "D,E,F,G,A, & B"
Is 7 notes altogether. The next step after "B" is "C" in a higher register making it the eigth note aka the octave and repeating the series.

I think what you're talking about here is a Modulation which usually involves a change in key up from the root of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/loopdelah

http://revivalist.okayplayer.com/
www.jdillafoundation.org
www.twitter.com/Raydarellis

"Never go full Raytard."-Anfernee

soulfunk
Charter member
10998 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 08:57 AM

21. "I agree with you in terms of the edit for the video version...the key"
In response to Reply # 19

changes at the end of the song seem like they aren't earned because the rest of the song up front was cut so much. I remember us talking about it on here at the time when the video came out...the original version of the song had already been out and I had no problem with the key changes there, it just sounded weird on the shortened version.

But when they make cuts for video or radio versions of songs, they are almost never for musical reasons, so I think it's a bit odd thing to critique her on. The issue is that if they needed to edit out some of the song it's impossible to cut out part of the long vamp of choruses because of the key changes - they'd either have to just studio fade out the end or cut out changes in the middle which would mean one of the key changes would jump up three or four keys at once which wouldn't make any sense. Cutting a verse was the easiest thing to do. They COULD have recorded a completely different version of the song that only went up two keys for the video version maybe, but that would have been way more $$$ in studio time.

Bottom line for me though is I'm not gonna complain about a video/radio edit...I you're gonna do that then you might as well complain about the fact that rappers don't record second versions of their songs for radio edits like they used to instead of them blanking out the cuss words.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2880503 Previous topic | Next topic