Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2879973

Subject: "Flea and some ex-Mars Volta join together - youtube clip/RS" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13955 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 11:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Flea and some ex-Mars Volta join together - youtube clip/RS"

Youtube link in the RS article linked below - y'all luv this:

Flea and Former Mars Volta Members Form New Group Antemasque
A video shows the group working out a punkish new song in the studio

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flea-and-former-mars-volta-members-form-new-group-antemasque-20140409

By Kory Grow

April 9, 2014 12:00 PM ET

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea has teamed with Mars Volta nucleus Omar Rodríguez-López and Cedric Bixler-Zavala and mid-era Mars Volta drummer Dave Elitch to form the new band Antemasque.
The Mars Volta in Photos: 10 Years and Beyond

Flea previously provided bass on two tracks for Mars Volta's 2003 debut album, De-Loused in the Comatorium, and trumpet on two songs on the 2005 follow-up Frances the Mute. The new ensemble posted the below video of a studio session where the musicians work out a new song.

The video shows the group working on a charging, punkish rocker with glimpses of the sorts of squiggly noodling that both the Mars Volta guys and Flea have used as calling cards in their respective groups.

In a break from the music, Flea talks about a special bass designed by visual artist Damien Hirst that incorporates real butterflies in the bass' paint job. The Milk Bandit even noodles out a few notes ŕ la carte on it.

Mars Volta broke up last January, as vocalist Bixler-Zavala posted a series of bitter tweets including, "I tried my hardest to keep it going but Bosnian Rainbows was all we got instead," referring to guitarist Rodríguez-López's other group. At the time, the singer said he wanted to move forward with his music and be happy that he had the chance to work in Mars Volta in the first place.

The new group's Facebook page links to a post on a Mars Volta forum, noting that Antemasque is a full-time project, "not a side gig."

Rodríguez-López said that he is committed to the group as well as Bosnian Rainbows, with a second album from the latter in the works.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Weird. They broke up one group...just to play together again anyway
Apr 09th 2014
didn't expect to see Omar + Cedric
Apr 09th 2014
What's the difference? Anything w/ Omar + Cedric
Apr 10th 2014
RE: What's the difference? Anything w/ Omar + Cedric
Apr 10th 2014
      Yeah...I feel like TMV just suits THEM as a brand though.
Apr 15th 2014
Yooooo, I'm amped for this shit now!
Apr 11th 2014
Hangin in the Lurch (link)
Apr 10th 2014
This goes hard as fuck
May 08th 2014
This is more the direction I had hoped ATDI would head in
Apr 10th 2014
sounds good
Apr 10th 2014
song: "drown all your witches" spin/youtube link
Apr 15th 2014
will be copped!
Apr 15th 2014
dope
May 08th 2014
Mars Volta/At the Drive-In Offshoot Antemasque Announce Debut Album
Aug 25th 2014
"In the lurch" video
Oct 01st 2014
When the fuck is this album actually getting Released!?!
Oct 03rd 2014
they killed last night at RnR Hotel...
Nov 06th 2014
RE: When the fuck is this album actually getting Released!?!
Nov 06th 2014
Who got it?
Nov 20th 2014
actually pre-ordered...it's dope and different for them
Nov 20th 2014

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Weird. They broke up one group...just to play together again anyway"
In response to Reply # 0

Cedric and Omar were always the core, maybe it was easier to have a fake implosion then fire the 4 other members of the band, lol.

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 01:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "didn't expect to see Omar + Cedric "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-09-14 01:48 PM by dustin

That's cool news. I'm definitely more interested in non-TMV Omar/Cedric collaborations rather than another TMV album

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 04:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "What's the difference? Anything w/ Omar + Cedric "
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Apr-10-14 04:29 PM by supablak

playing & singing...w/ the exception of At The Drive-In is basically TMV.

What did Juan Adelerate-Pena ever do to you?

ORL Group w/out Cedric/// nope...not TMV
ORL Group w/ Cedric/// TECHNICALLY...that's TMV
Bosnian Rainbows///that's NOT...TMV
ZAVALAS (who I've seen live, GOOD SCHITT)///THAT is not TMV

All the guys on this recording have played in/ recorded w/ TMV.

-edit-
Then again...Dave Ehlich has never officially recorded on a TMV album.
So maybe TMV is reserved for super dope diva drummers which Elich isn't really amongst...though he's good. He's more "Chad Smith"-y

It's just another branch on the same tree.

s.blak
Just Stop

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

dustin
Member since Feb 21st 2004
4006 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 05:51 PM

6. "RE: What's the difference? Anything w/ Omar + Cedric "
In response to Reply # 4

>playing & singing...w/ the exception of At The Drive-In is
>basically TMV.
>

You make a good point. I guess I what I meant was that I'd rather Omar and Cedric work under a new moniker rather than make another TMV album. There's always gonna be that TMV vibe and sound but I think not having the TMV name attached will give them more creative freedom to make shit without having to honor the albums they've made in the past. It's not something they've ever lacked but you get me..

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 05:51 PM

11. "Yeah...I feel like TMV just suits THEM as a brand though."
In response to Reply # 6

The formula being Omar & Cedric w/ a hot schitt drummer and "theme" (either: musically or texturally).

That's what I check in for to see where it goes.

I find that MOST people (who claim to be TMV fans) just don't want to move on past "De-Loused" or "Frances the Mute", that's too bad.

Either way...their an excellent team. Antemasque is like XTC's "Dukes of Stratosphear" to me...just an offshoot of this bigger thing.

s.blak
I hope they just bring Frusciante on board in some way.

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 01:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Yooooo, I'm amped for this shit now!"
In response to Reply # 2

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 03:18 PM

3. "Hangin in the Lurch (link)"
In response to Reply # 0

http://antemasque.bandcamp.com/track/hangin-in-the-lurch

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Thu May-08-14 01:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "This goes hard as fuck"
In response to Reply # 3

this is going to be my soundtrack to the summer

soulmatic
Member since Jan 26th 2007
4617 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 04:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "This is more the direction I had hoped ATDI would head in"
In response to Reply # 0

Instead we got RoC, produced by a shitty nu-metal bro producer...

Then I hoped TMV might go a little indie rock-ier on their 2nd lp while maintaining some of their space rock/prog tendencies...instead they went further left...

This is good but it's 10 years too late.
---------
sig:
I got Chad in my heart and DJ Screw in my cup.

Twitter: @chuy_vuitton

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 11:10 PM

7. "sounds good"
In response to Reply # 0

c71
13955 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 09:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "song: "drown all your witches" spin/youtube link"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Apr-15-14 09:32 AM by c71

youtube clip is in the spin.com link

http://www.spin.com/#articles/antemasque-self-titled-album-drown-all-your-witches-video/

Antemasque Herald Self-Titled Album With Autumnal 'Drown All Your Witches'

The Mars Volta's project with Flea will release 'Antemasque' on July 15; preview a strummy new track

by Marc Hogan

April 15 2014, 8:09 AM ET

They were wrong, so we drowned. They were right, so we got a new Antemasque song. The new project — which brings together former the Mars Volta members Omar Rodríguez-López, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, and Dave Elitch, plus Red Hot Chili Peppers and Atoms for Peace bass master Flea — has already shared three songs over several days: the wiry "4AM," the agile "People Forget," and the frenetic prog-punk of "Hangin' in the Lurch." Now they're releasing another one, "Drown All Your Witches," which you can preview in the video above.

The track comes as Antemasque announce their self-titled album, which will be out July 15 (more details below). "Drown All Your Witches" sets Cedric Bixler-Zavala forceful roar over subdued acoustic guitars, with moonlit synths that bring to mind resurgent '70s psych-folkie Rodriguez's "Sugar Man." The video, which shows the band members recording in the studio, set behind the triangular Antemasque logo, is interrupted by playful banter — "all the McDonalds," for instance.

Starting at 12:01 a.m. EST on April 16, the first 10,000 fans to purchase the other three songs (for $4) via Rodríguez-López's self-run label and production house, nadie, will also get "Drown All Your Witches," which is exclusive to this offer; they'll also get a code to download Antemasque's self-titled album on July 1, two weeks early. Fans who've already bought the songs can pick three songs from Rodríguez-López's other bands, the Mars Volta and Le Butcherettes, and also get the album download code. There are a couple of other buying options; more information will also be available at Antemasque's Facebook page today. (The tracks will still be available on iTunes, but the free allbum offer is available only through nadie.)

In a statement, Rodríguez-López's nadie label confirmed that the reason this looks spontaneous is because that really is the case. "We were planning to release just one track last week, '4AM,' but we ended up releasing the other two songs, 'Hangin' in the Lurch' and 'People Forget,' because of the amazing response from our fans," the statement reads. "The fan response is the reason we have decided to forgo the traditional route of signing with a label and releasing music on their schedule in favor of releasing tracks and material in response to demand from our fans."

nadie continued: "If the whole thing looked unplanned, that's because it was. The anticipation of what the reaction from fans and critics would be was very real for us with every new song we put out." See, sometimes a trial by ordeal can have a positive outcome.

16580 posts
Tue Apr-15-14 09:34 AM

10. "will be copped!"
In response to Reply # 9

makaveli
Charter member
16303 posts
Thu May-08-14 07:00 PM

13. "dope"
In response to Reply # 0

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

16580 posts
Mon Aug-25-14 10:51 AM

14. "Mars Volta/At the Drive-In Offshoot Antemasque Announce Debut Album"
In response to Reply # 0

By Evan Minsker on August 25, 2014 at 10:49 a.m. EDT

In early 2013, Cedric Bixler-Zavala announced that the Mars Volta were no more. This year, Bixler-Zavala and Omar Rodríguez-López, also of At the Drive-In, have joined forces to start a new band called Antemasque. Their debut self-titled LP is out in October through their Nadie Sound label. It was recorded in March of 2014, and features the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Flea and Dave Elitch—both of whom played with the Mars Volta.

The album surfaced briefly earlier this year on Bandcamp, but was quickly taken down. They've also announced tour dates—find them below.

Antemasque:

01 4AM
02 I Got No Remorse
03 Ride Like The Devil’s Son
04 In The Lurch
05 50,000 Kilowatts
06 Momento Mori
07 Drown All Your Witches
08 Providence
09 People Forget
10 Rome Armed To The Teeth

http://pitchfork.com/news/56451-mars-voltaat-the-drive-in-offshoot-antemasque-announce-debut-album-tour/

c71
13955 posts
Wed Oct-01-14 05:22 PM

15. ""In the lurch" video"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.spin.com/articles/antemasque-in-the-lurch-live-video/

Adwhizz
40925 posts
Fri Oct-03-14 10:33 AM

16. "When the fuck is this album actually getting Released!?!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Oct-03-14 10:59 AM by Adwhizz

I'm seeing these dudes later this month and I still haven't heard the full album

natlawdp
Member since Jan 27th 2005
2125 posts
Thu Nov-06-14 10:52 AM

17. "they killed last night at RnR Hotel..."
In response to Reply # 16

great format- tight tunes that they can stretch live, rather than a streeeeeetched out album.

POEM-CEES
KOKAYI/CAESARZ
SPP WAXWORKS (DC)

THAYLOBLEU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701fChgN9H4

16580 posts
Thu Nov-06-14 11:59 AM

18. "RE: When the fuck is this album actually getting Released!?!"
In response to Reply # 16

Next week

16580 posts
Thu Nov-20-14 01:43 PM

19. "Who got it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Short and to the point. 34 mins long. I'm enjoying it.

natlawdp
Member since Jan 27th 2005
2125 posts
Thu Nov-20-14 03:23 PM

20. "actually pre-ordered...it's dope and different for them"
In response to Reply # 19

as you said, quick and to the point- low on gibberish lyrics, and they stretched 'em in interesting ways at the show. excellent chapter for those dudes.

POEM-CEES
KOKAYI/CAESARZ
SPP WAXWORKS (DC)

THAYLOBLEU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=701fChgN9H4

Lobby The Lesson topic #2879973 Previous topic | Next topic