Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2879960

Subject: "can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?" Previous topic | Next topic
cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 11:02 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?"

all this stuff about an mpc swing, the superior sound of a 3000 vs a 2000/xl/2500/4000, the filters on the 950, the fx on the 303 and 404, the sp1200's distinct 12 bit sound (which i can spot sometimes, especially if the sample was pitched down--that distorted, grind-y sound), whatever special charateristics the eps/asr has, etc etc etc.

i mean, certain producers are tied to their gear during a specific time (e.g. pete rock and his sp1200 in the 90s, premier with his mpc60 and s950 setup, etc.), so those are easy to spot.

but for all the other thousands of songs out there, can you really tell if a producer made some shit on his/her laptop with FL, or if he/she chopped shit up in an mpc3000--with that "classic" swing and superior sound fully intact???

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
does pete rock
Apr 09th 2014
So how about swing?
Apr 09th 2014
RE: So how about swing?
Apr 09th 2014
      Cool man, thanks for your insight
Apr 09th 2014
RE: does pete rock
Apr 09th 2014
that's right
Apr 09th 2014
it does to me... but once SS2 dropped, pete started sounding "cleaner"
Apr 11th 2014
yeah
Apr 09th 2014
Is it possible, using Alchemist as an example
Apr 09th 2014
      ya got me
Apr 11th 2014
           No disrespect, but, you kind of made me laugh a bit here...
Apr 11th 2014
           i tried to identify keyboard-triggered samples on rza's beats
Apr 16th 2014
RE: can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?
Apr 09th 2014
Yup!
Apr 09th 2014
that's because the MPC was practically at CD quality
Apr 11th 2014
As far as your questions on swing, this Roger Linn interview may
Apr 10th 2014
RE: As far as your questions on swing, this Roger Linn interview may
Apr 10th 2014
you've never heard this before? that's hilarious
Apr 12th 2014
      RE: you've never heard this before? that's hilarious
Apr 13th 2014
just because those later MPs dont have Linns name
Apr 10th 2014
      It depends on the beat and the producer. Akai made some definite
Apr 10th 2014
           Gotta disagree with this one...
Apr 11th 2014
                I don't know if Linn pattented the swing but he has patents
Apr 11th 2014
                     The patent information is great, but...
Apr 11th 2014
                          I used the word partner when I should have said license
Apr 12th 2014
                               Great, informative response.
Apr 14th 2014
Sometimes, but you can almost always hear
Apr 10th 2014
TRUTH
Apr 10th 2014
some things
Apr 10th 2014
only the SP1200
Apr 11th 2014
^^^ agreed
Apr 11th 2014
Your shit is broke though
Apr 11th 2014
I wanted an Electribe soooo bad at one point.
Apr 11th 2014
The SP and S950 are identifiable
Apr 11th 2014
      it's the fact it samples in 16 bit and saves in 12 bit
Apr 12th 2014
           its wild that you still can't fake that sp1200 sound...
Apr 14th 2014
RE: can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?
Apr 11th 2014
I'm probably not as strongly opined as you...
Apr 11th 2014
I agree with most of what you're saying, but...
Apr 11th 2014
      True, that might have been a little strong...
Apr 11th 2014
haha...i'm tying to have an open mind
Apr 16th 2014
Nah. I can tell effects, some exact sounds/instruments, etc etc
Apr 11th 2014
one thing you sequencer naysayers are forgetting about
Apr 12th 2014

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "does pete rock"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Apr-09-14 03:02 PM by howardlloyd

soul survivor sound like the main ingredient?

there is your answer

yes… there are major differences. can you listen to it and identify - maybe (i can identify sp1200)…rest of it not so much due to the fact that recording, mixing and mastering will all affect the sound

but i have owned a mpc 60, npc 2000xl, mpc 1000, asr-x, akai 900 and sp1200

they all sound different and inspire different methods

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 03:52 PM

3. "So how about swing?"
In response to Reply # 1

>soul survivor sound like the main ingredient?
>
>there is your answer

Yeah that one is easy to hear. Nothing sounds like an SP1200 and the coloring it adds. Plus there's a lot of vids of Pete on his new(er) beloved MPC.

>
>yes… there are major differences. can you listen to it and
>identify - maybe (i can identify sp1200)…rest of it not so
>much due to the fact that recording, mixing and mastering will
>all affect the sound

Right right.

>
>but i have owned a mpc 60, npc 2000xl, mpc 1000, asr-x, akai
>900 and sp1200
>
>they all sound different and inspire different methods

So how about the swing...does each machine--even among diff MPCs--have a unique swing to them?

Overall I asked this question cuz occasionally I hear some shit like "oh those drums bang, they have that MPC feel". And I think "how can you tell?!??"

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 04:09 PM

5. "RE: So how about swing?"
In response to Reply # 3

I never had a mpc 3000 but I felt no difference between any of the MPs I had

the asr-x sequencer sucked. it always sounded off to me but I think it had the best sounding sampler

the sp swing is different just because it is.

cats can't hear that shit though. to a person using the machine they will feel different things. but can't nobody listen to swing and say that's mpc. there are too many factors. sample truncation, whether quantize is off etc will all play a roll in "swing"

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 04:29 PM

6. "Cool man, thanks for your insight"
In response to Reply # 5

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 06:02 PM

7. "RE: does pete rock"
In response to Reply # 1

but pete rock was using the sp on soul survivor. on petestrumentals too.

he stopped using it for soul survivor 2, which is why it sounds a lot "brighter"

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 06:16 PM

8. "that's right"
In response to Reply # 7

definitely notice that sp1200 "distortion" in those LPs.

petestrumentals was his last hurrah with the sp, if i remember correctly.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 01:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
20. "it does to me... but once SS2 dropped, pete started sounding "cleaner""
In response to Reply # 1

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 03:40 PM

2. "yeah"
In response to Reply # 0

tru master 4th/disciple and el-p's shit sound waaaay different. if you've used an asr-10/x vs. an mpc you can hear the difference from samples played from a keyboard and those played from a drum machine.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 04:04 PM

4. "Is it possible, using Alchemist as an example"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed Apr-09-14 04:06 PM by cbk

Can u tell which ones are ASR 10 beats vs MPC ones?

How about rza? I know he used both too.

Examples if possible. Thanks.

infin8
Charter member
10401 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 02:34 PM

23. "ya got me"
In response to Reply # 4

I always associated Alch w/keyboard based samples til I seen him do a joint on a 2500 I think. I think imcvspl worded my thoughts a li'l better.

stand corrected.

IG: amadu_me

"...Whateva, man..." (c) Redman

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 03:33 PM

26. "No disrespect, but, you kind of made me laugh a bit here..."
In response to Reply # 23
Fri Apr-11-14 03:40 PM by Remedial

>I always associated Alch w/keyboard based samples til I seen
>him do a joint on a 2500 I think. I think imcvspl worded my
>thoughts a li'l better.
>
>stand corrected.

In Reply #2, you said:

"tru master 4th/disciple and el-p's shit sound waaaay different. if you've used an asr-10/x vs. an mpc you can hear the difference from samples played from a keyboard and those played from a drum machine."

Which, if I'm not wrong, means that, those with hours under their belt can hear the difference between samples played on keyboard keys and those played on pads. Now, mind you, although the MPC's do come with pads and the Ensoniq units come with keys, you can use a MIDI keyboard to play the samples on an MPC and the pads on an MPC can be used to play the samples on an Ensoniq.

But, when the OP asks you for examples of this skill, you not only acknowledge that this skill seems to be predicated on your having previous knowledge of what equipment a producer is already using, which, it then seems, you would use to make comparisons to another producer whose setup you're already aware of, you then defer to imcvspl's post which is not worded as strongly as yours.

Now, I'm not trying single you out or anything like that, because, at least you were a man with yours and admitted that you may have overstated, but, I want to use this as an example.

Imagine the cat that says something similar to this, is never asked to prove it, but his listeners walk away thinking his word is bond?

That's how urban myths begin.

And, that's why, in the scientific realm, there are control groups and double blind tests.

Because people WILL tell you they can tell the difference between this and that, have this super pill that cures all diseases or say that they have these refined skills superior to other "normal" human beings, but, when it comes time to show and tell, they either decline to participate or fail miserably when they do...

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 12:07 PM

42. "i tried to identify keyboard-triggered samples on rza's beats"
In response to Reply # 23

i'm most familiar with rza's catalogue, and i know he was an asr-10 user, so i took a listen.

i think it was most noticable on gza's "gold" starting at 3:14 (that synthy/horn/rumble sound running thru different keys) and "i gotcha back" (the keys and the horn sample played in different pitches--again i THINK, i don't know the og samples). but then again, you can do both of the above with the 16 levels pitch feature on the mpc.

then i looked around online and found this post from carlos bess (www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-hip-hop-engineering-production/357811-who-mixed-wu-tang-enter-36-a.html) who said that every beat on 36 chambers was made on an eps/asr EXCEPT for "method man" (made on an sp1200)--which i would have guessed sounded MOST like a keyboard beat! while the bassline on "7th chamber part 2" definitely sounds keyboard-y, i couldn't really tell on the other songs.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 06:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "RE: can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ninth & I have spoken a few times about how most people don't know the difference between anything he has done on an MPC vs Fruity Loops

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-09-14 08:03 PM

10. "Yup!"
In response to Reply # 9

Thinking bout his beats, I certainly can't tell.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 06:32 PM

30. "that's because the MPC was practically at CD quality"
In response to Reply # 9

And Fruity Loops has a color which sounds just under CD quality (despite obviously being at it). Not trying to cise but the reason for this in 9th's case is because a lot of times he doesn't do a lot of sound design on his samples so they just have the sound of the machine. In this way it's easy to identify a 9th MPC beat over a Pete Rock MPC beat.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 01:44 PM

11. "As far as your questions on swing, this Roger Linn interview may"
In response to Reply # 0

explain it a bit as far as when someone can hear the difference in swing between an MPC60 or 3000 (Linn designed) vs. every other MPC that came afterwards (not Linn designed).

The entire interview is great, but I just swiped the section where he's talking about the swing on his machines:

http://www.attackmagazine.com/features/roger-linn-swing-groove-magic-mpc-timing/

Attack Magazine: The main idea which prompted this discussion was a conversation we had in our office about the magic of the 80s MPCs. 25 years on from the release of the MPC60, it’s still held in incredibly high regard and there’s a mystique attached to the timing. ‘MPC swing’ is the watchword for tight, funky timing. Can we start by talking about the MPCs – particularly the MPC60 and MPC3000 – and why they’re so highly revered? Are they actually measurably better in some way than other sequencers or is it a bit of an urban myth which has snowballed since the 80s?
Roger Linn: There are a few factors that have contributed to natural, human-feeling grooves in my drum machines. In order of importance:
1. Swing.
Swing – applied to quantized 16th-note beats – is a big part of it. My implementation of swing has always been very simple: I merely delay the second 16th note within each 8th note. In other words, I delay all the even-numbered 16th notes within the beat (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) In my products I describe the swing amount in terms of the ratio of time duration between the first and second 16th notes within each 8th note. For example, 50% is no swing, meaning that both 16th notes within each 8th note are given equal timing. And 66% means perfect triplet swing, meaning that the first 16th note of each pair gets 2/3 of the time, and the second 16th note gets 1/3, so the second 16th note falls on a perfect 8th note triplet. The fun comes in the in-between settings. For example, a 90 BPM swing groove will feel looser at 62% than at a perfect swing setting of 66%. And for straight 16th-note beats (no swing), a swing setting of 54% will loosen up the feel without it sounding like swing. Between 50% and around 70% are lots of wonderful little settings that, for a particular beat and tempo, can change a rigid beat into something that makes people move. And unlike the MPCs, my new Tempest drum machine makes it very easy to find the right swing setting because you can adjust the swing knob in real time while the beat plays. I first introduced swing – as well as recording quantization – in my 1979 drum machine, the LM-1 Drum Computer.

double 0
7008 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 01:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "RE: As far as your questions on swing, this Roger Linn interview may"
In response to Reply # 11

That shit just explained SO much yo...

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 05:41 PM

38. "you've never heard this before? that's hilarious"
In response to Reply # 12

it's in the old MPC manuals and widely available online as well, no excuse for that shit

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

double 0
7008 posts
Sun Apr-13-14 02:37 PM

39. "RE: you've never heard this before? that's hilarious"
In response to Reply # 38

My first MPC (60 II) was in 2000... 2nd or 3rd hand at 8th street Music and no manual...
I was using Reason 2.5 by err 2002-2003.. Only learned about swing because the quantize on the computer felt so different.. So me and my other homey would just import the MPC midi grooves that were floating around online at the time and use em.

Never looked into the math though and eventually just stopped using 100% quantize shortly after that..

Plus my production idols at the time Timbaland, Neptunes n dem.. never even used MPC's

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

howardlloyd
2729 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 02:54 PM

13. "just because those later MPs dont have Linns name"
In response to Reply # 11

dont mean that the code aint the same

lol

theres no difference in the MP sequencers (can't speak to the 4000). sound yes. sequencer is the same

they already brought the code from roger. wasn't no need to keep giving him royalties.

all you gotta do is make a beat on the 60… and then load that sequence into one of the laters. I use to do it all the time because i liked starting on the 60… get the sound of that sampler and then load it up in the 2000.

i never heard a difference in any sequence created on the 60 that was then loaded in the 2000g

& i'm extremely sensitive to the beats groove.

soulfunk
Charter member
10999 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 10:48 PM

17. "It depends on the beat and the producer. Akai made some definite "
In response to Reply # 13

changes to the feel of the swing values on the 2000 and later vs. the 60 and 3000. There are some beats that definitely sound like they were done on a 60 or 3000 vs. something else.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 02:56 PM

24. "Gotta disagree with this one..."
In response to Reply # 17

>changes to the feel of the swing values on the 2000 and later
>vs. the 60 and 3000. There are some beats that definitely
>sound like they were done on a 60 or 3000 vs. something else.
>

I don't think Akai would have made any major changes to the swing if it was already working great and unless this was stated by them in the product info or something like that, it's just all conjecture.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 06:48 PM

31. "I don't know if Linn pattented the swing but he has patents"
In response to Reply # 24

which is why only machines he worked on have his signature on it. The whole reason that Akai partnered with him in the first place was because of his patent on modular drum generators (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=roger.INNM.&s2=linn.INNM.) and because of the sequencer in the Linn Drum and Linn 9000. The MPC sequencer came from the Linn Drum and that's what Akai wanted. You can't simply partner with someone for their technology, end that relationship and keep using that technology.

Also remember that the 3000 came before the 2000, after the relationship with Linn had ended. It wasn't an evolutionary project, it was devolutionary after no longer having Linn's tech.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 07:07 PM

32. "The patent information is great, but..."
In response to Reply # 31
Fri Apr-11-14 07:14 PM by Remedial

>which is why only machines he worked on have his signature on
>it. The whole reason that Akai partnered with him in the
>first place was because of his patent on modular drum
>generators
>(http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=roger.INNM.&s2=linn.INNM.)
>and because of the sequencer in the Linn Drum and Linn 9000.
>The MPC sequencer came from the Linn Drum and that's what Akai
>wanted. You can't simply partner with someone for their
>technology, end that relationship and keep using that
>technology.

Legally, you can. It all comes down to the contract.

If they hired him to design a swing algorithm for their machines that was an evolution of that which he already had in his original Linn Drum, then, most thorough contracts will state that that evolved version was a work for hire and now under ownership of Akai.

Basically, same thing as a scientist working for Proctor and Gamble. Even if you came up with a revolutionary idea on your own, if they hire you to develop that idea and make it a marketable product or service, the work you do towards that and the end product now becomes their intellectual property. Many times, they may also either buy the patent from you or, if you haven't patented, pay you for full ownership of the patentable idea.

The removal of his name from the machines post 3000 could simply mean he was no longer partnering with them. It doesn't have to be stretched to mean that all of his tech left with him. If Akai agreed to something like that, their lawyers were slacking.

Now, he may already have had some form of this swing algorithm in place in some of his earlier hardware, which I think he mentioned in the article, but it may not have been as fully developed or executed the same as in the MPC's.

>Also remember that the 3000 came before the 2000, after the
>relationship with Linn had ended. It wasn't an evolutionary
>project, it was devolutionary after no longer having Linn's
>tech.

I wouldn't say the 2000 was completely devolutionary. The 2000 has the waveform display, the option for the effects board, and a few other improvements. I think the note capacity went up too.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 01:32 AM

35. "I used the word partner when I should have said license"
In response to Reply # 32

>Legally, you can. It all comes down to the contract.

If it was a licensing situation though they couldn't. I was actually hoping to find a sequencing related patent when I did that quick search but didn't. Also didn't find Akai's name on one either which makes me think the process falls out of line with being patentable. BUT that almost lends more credance to what I'm saying.

To see my point though you have to take Linn's character into account which is difficult to do out of context. Trust me when I say Linn would not be a work-for-hire cat. The evidence is in the fact that his name was on Akai machines. Go through the list of Akai engineers and not a single one of them motherfuckers got their names on the machines.

I've done a lot of research in this matter. I was actually just this month working on a Linn Drum https://twitter.com/primusluta/status/446123832957362176 specifically studying it's sequencer. Trust me when I say he had mastered the process by then. There may have been alterations to how to do it (think a screen UI for it) but what actually made it work was working back then. He didn't just give that to Akai. If anything it would have been stipulated in his contract that anything that he brought to the table was his and if it didn't include that it wasn't his. Remember he had a company as an individual before Akai (sure it suffered financial issues because of his ambition but those are financial not technological).

The patent would have proven it but I can't find that and will likely never see the contract. But I've been telling folk for years he actually did have a specific groove to which everyone wanted to doubt until recently. He did protect his own creations and wouldn't have readily turned them over to anyone. License yes. but he contracts would have been in favor of his ownership.

If I had the time and the wherewithall I'd actually reverse engineer all of that shit to point out the differences but alas... I'm just a po nigga from the bronx.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Mon Apr-14-14 08:18 AM

40. "Great, informative response."
In response to Reply # 35
Mon Apr-14-14 08:26 AM by Remedial

>>Legally, you can. It all comes down to the contract.
>
>If it was a licensing situation though they couldn't. I was
>actually hoping to find a sequencing related patent when I did
>that quick search but didn't. Also didn't find Akai's name on
>one either which makes me think the process falls out of line
>with being patentable. BUT that almost lends more credance to
>what I'm saying.

True, the licensing would either be for just those products he worked on or for a certain amount of years. Also, no need to clarify on having used "partner" instead of "licensor" or some other term. I pretty much knew what you meant and I'm not one to play semantics.

Also, I don't know if the lack of a patent particularly lends more credence either way (yours or mine), but, it sure doesn't help us resolve this issue in any way.

>To see my point though you have to take Linn's character into
>account which is difficult to do out of context. Trust me
>when I say Linn would not be a work-for-hire cat. The
>evidence is in the fact that his name was on Akai machines.
>Go through the list of Akai engineers and not a single one of
>them motherfuckers got their names on the machines.

True, once again, but also, if he's already an established name in the game, then, putting his name on the products could help sales or establish them as truly professional quality.

>I've done a lot of research in this matter. I was actually
>just this month working on a Linn Drum
>https://twitter.com/primusluta/status/446123832957362176
>specifically studying it's sequencer. Trust me when I say he
>had mastered the process by then. There may have been
>alterations to how to do it (think a screen UI for it) but
>what actually made it work was working back then.

That's what you call ahead of your time.

>He didn't just give that to Akai. If anything it would have been
>stipulated in his contract that anything that he brought to
>the table was his and if it didn't include that it wasn't his.
> Remember he had a company as an individual before Akai (sure
>it suffered financial issues because of his ambition but those
>are financial not technological).

Yeah, read about those hiccups somehwere online a few years ago.

>The patent would have proven it but I can't find that and will
>likely never see the contract. But I've been telling folk for
>years he actually did have a specific groove to which everyone
>wanted to doubt until recently. He did protect his own
>creations and wouldn't have readily turned them over to
>anyone. License yes. but he contracts would have been in
>favor of his ownership.

I agree. If he's any kind of an astute businessman, he would have done this.

>If I had the time and the wherewithall I'd actually reverse
>engineer all of that shit to point out the differences but
>alas... I'm just a po nigga from the bronx.

And I'm sure you got plenty other things to attend to.

But, very informative response, as always.

This is the kind of geeky, technical stuff that the OK Producer forums should have been dedicated to.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 03:13 PM

14. "Sometimes, but you can almost always hear"
In response to Reply # 0

the amount of work put in. Lazy beats sound like lazy beats.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 03:19 PM

15. "TRUTH"
In response to Reply # 14

>the amount of work put in. Lazy beats sound like lazy beats.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35259 posts
Thu Apr-10-14 10:41 PM

16. "some things "
In response to Reply # 0

The acid 303 sound and 909 drums are pretty recognizable for people who listen to house and techno

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 10:27 AM

18. "only the SP1200"
In response to Reply # 0

It's the easiest one to tell.

I can also weirdly discern the sound of an Electribe since I used it for a while. Kinda has a fuzzy sound to it because of those tubes.

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 01:13 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "^^^ agreed"
In response to Reply # 18

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 07:23 PM

34. "Your shit is broke though"
In response to Reply # 19

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23883 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 02:22 PM

22. "I wanted an Electribe soooo bad at one point."

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 06:30 PM

29. "The SP and S950 are identifiable"

because of the bit rate and the filters. Impossible to emulate.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 05:30 PM

37. "it's the fact it samples in 16 bit and saves in 12 bit"
In response to Reply # 29

no mistaking that machine, other MPCs can go the big grunge thing but it's not close

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Mon Apr-14-14 08:30 AM

41. "its wild that you still can't fake that sp1200 sound... "
In response to Reply # 37

....always funny when you see people try to do so with bit crusher software and it just doesn't work

mathmagic
Charter member
6078 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 01:42 PM

21. "RE: can any of y'all REALLY tell what machine made a particular beat?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm of the opinion that everyone in this post is full o' shit. Yall cant tell shit, lol.

Jordan!

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 03:20 PM

25. "I'm probably not as strongly opined as you..."
In response to Reply # 21

>I'm of the opinion that everyone in this post is full o'
>shit. Yall cant tell shit, lol.

But, I'm with you. Now, I do think that MAYBE someone could hear particular qualities of a certain sampler (not sequencer), i.e., maybe the sound of the filter, etc.., but, as far as sequencing, I think that's a shot in the dark.

I HONESTLY think that the whole argument of one machine's sequencer being proportionately and ESPECIALLY audibly superior to another was one of those things that producers came up with to separate themselves from the amateurs who were using cheaper sequencers.

That way, it might discourage a cat from even thinking about threatening his position because he can't get that "professional" sound unless he has $3k to drop on the same "special" sequencer "so and so" super producer has.

And, unfortunately, that thinking has been propagated for years upon years and it has been damaging to some folks' output.

I've had some friends who feverishly lusted for certain pieces of hardware because they want that Pete Rock or Primo or Large Pro or Alchemist sound, but, getting that equipment isn't going to automatically put you in that echelon.

Those guys spent COUNTLESS hours on their chosen pieces and, if anything, the mastery gained from that is what led to the quality that they put out. Yeah, they may have used the MPC swing functions and knew that one particular setting felt better than others, but, they SURE AS HELL never knew the math behind it like Roger explained in that article.

Unfortunately, some cats think that, once they get that piece, they can almost literally just dump turds into the unit and it'll turn into gold.

And, the sad thing about it is, many of my friends that I mentioned STILL think like this and haven't completed a beat for some time BUT they've bought and sold like 3 different MPC's in that time, never even learning to use any of them.

Why? Because they're not willing to put in those Pete Rock, Primo, Large Pro or Alchemist hours.

They think there's any Easy button somewhere...

Then, when you tell them stuff like, read the manual, they'll tell you that, "Yo, I heard RZA just lit a blunt one night and learned the SP1200 by morning, no manual. So, I'm a just do that". And, that's not to say these things aren't possible or didn't happen, that way, but, to think it's something that ANYONE can do is a gross misrepresentation. Also, it neglects that fact that, once you've learned or been taught to use one sequencer, and you're now familiar with the terminology and basic layout most sequencers have, it's MUCH easier to learn another one.

They latch onto these urban myths and that's more of a driving force than their own desire to have a high level of proficiency in the beatmaking field. So, once you've sat in front of that piece of gear for like 3 hours and couldn't figure out a cot damn thing, that whole allure derived from that urban myth has worn thin. Then, you say to yourself that you're just gonna take a break and come back to it, then years pass by because, every time you look at the unit, you remember the frustration and find something way more fun to do.

Then, it hits Craigslist and I'm buying it for bottom dollar...

ko-d
Member since Mar 31st 2005
424 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 04:36 PM

27. "I agree with most of what you're saying, but..."
In response to Reply # 25

I don't think it's "SURE AS HELL" true that the producers we revere did not understand the "math" of 54% swing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying though...

>Those guys spent COUNTLESS hours on their chosen pieces and,
>if anything, the mastery gained from that is what led to the
>quality that they put out. Yeah, they may have used the MPC
>swing functions and knew that one particular setting felt
>better than others, but, they SURE AS HELL never knew the math
>behind it like Roger explained in that article.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 07:11 PM

33. "True, that might have been a little strong..."
In response to Reply # 27

>I don't think it's "SURE AS HELL" true that the producers we
>revere did not understand the "math" of 54% swing. Maybe I'm
>misunderstanding what you're saying though...

It would have been more appropriate to say that some of them may not have understood the exact mathematical equations at play in the swing mechanism.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Wed Apr-16-14 12:19 PM

43. "haha...i'm tying to have an open mind"
In response to Reply # 21

>I'm of the opinion that everyone in this post is full o'
>shit. Yall cant tell shit, lol.

this was definitely my mindset a year ago. Remedial above articulated it very well too.

but lately i've been questioning my ears and trying to see if there really are differences between gear that i've never noticed because i wasn't listening for the right things. and further, by tuning my ear to those "right things" i figured it would help my beatmaking.

i don't know...i may be right back at the "full o shit" mindset unless i see some really compelling evidence.

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Apr-11-14 05:05 PM

28. "Nah. I can tell effects, some exact sounds/instruments, etc etc"
In response to Reply # 0

But not machines like that.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Garhart Poppwell
18115 posts
Sat Apr-12-14 05:27 PM

36. "one thing you sequencer naysayers are forgetting about"
In response to Reply # 0

is how the hardware interprets and executes the algorithms and how differing components can cause different levels of execution with the same sequencing program
and before you start talking shit, there have been comparison tests run and it's been proven

Lobby The Lesson topic #2879960 Previous topic | Next topic