Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2877908

Subject: "Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale." Previous topic | Next topic
normal35762
Member since Oct 20th 2004
13246 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 02:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale."

Anyone still have that? The comp I had it on crashed.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale.
Mar 27th 2014
That shit was tight.
Mar 27th 2014
RE: nah i agree
Mar 27th 2014
RE: nah i agree
Mar 27th 2014
I agree
Mar 28th 2014
i'm there w/u. i think those days are done though. (link)
Mar 28th 2014
Thanks for sharing this.
Mar 28th 2014
Hm this is interesting. I started with BR and BR2 and am going back now
Mar 29th 2014
reading this really pissed me off n/m
Apr 02nd 2014
RE: Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale.
Apr 03rd 2014
sadly not on me
Mar 27th 2014
Ok cool. Whenever that is can you hook it up?
Mar 27th 2014
      hit up airbreed. gonna be MONTHS from me fam.
Mar 28th 2014
Unless Wordman gets it to you first, I'll send a copy to you tonight.
Mar 28th 2014
Could I get some love on that as well?
Mar 28th 2014
me too, please!
Mar 28th 2014
**raises hand**
Mar 28th 2014
If you spreading the love, I mean...
Mar 28th 2014
me too? thanks in advance
Mar 28th 2014
Request inboxed.
Mar 28th 2014
RE: me ten!
Mar 30th 2014
can i get a link too?!?!
Apr 02nd 2014
so did that inbox happen or....
Apr 02nd 2014
Not yet.
Apr 03rd 2014
No one?
May 06th 2014
Still lookin for this. Anyone got it?
Oct 10th 2014
No one? Really?
Oct 20th 2014
SHIT. My apologies. I set the reminder on my phone to do it tonight,.
Oct 21st 2014
lmao
Oct 21st 2014
Those who asked, got served. Enjoy.
Oct 21st 2014
RE: Those who asked, got served. Enjoy.
Oct 21st 2014
Oct 22nd 2014
I'd love a copy of this too.
Oct 22nd 2014
Oct 21st 2014
I would also love an inbox
Oct 22nd 2014
Would love this if I could get it
Oct 22nd 2014
may I ?
Oct 22nd 2014
Oct 23rd 2014
tracklist
Oct 22nd 2014
He just tweeted the original trio is recording an album in December
Oct 28th 2014
SAY WORD!!!!
Oct 29th 2014

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 08:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale."
In response to Reply # 0

I know I'm in the minority but I wish he would do more trio stuff

dude

normal35762
13246 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 08:17 PM

2. "That shit was tight."
In response to Reply # 1

rmcphedr
Member since Feb 11th 2006
501 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 09:44 PM

5. "RE: nah i agree"
In response to Reply # 1

i miss that sh*t. or at least ditch the r'n'b vocalists for a while

rmcphedr
501 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 09:44 PM

6. "RE: nah i agree"
In response to Reply # 1

i miss that sh*t. or at least ditch the r'n'b vocalists for a while

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 09:20 AM

7. "I agree"
In response to Reply # 1

trio>black radio stuff

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 10:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i'm there w/u. i think those days are done though. (link)"
In response to Reply # 1

>
>I know I'm in the minority but I wish he would do more trio
>stuff

disclaimer: this article slays me. hurts when breathe.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/robert-glasper-jazz-is-my-jilted-ex-9175952.html

Robert Glasper: 'Jazz is my jilted ex'

Pianist Robert Glasper was on his way to becoming a jazz great but wanted to be bigger than that, he tells David Smyth so hes made R&B his groove
Crossing over: Robert Glasper

David Smyth

Published: 07 March 2014

Updated: 10:52, 07 March 2014

Is Robert Glasper a jazz genius or an R&B softie? The Texan pianist has been straddling the two very different worlds of chin-stroking and love-making music for several years now, but its looking increasingly like hes picked a side and it wont please the jazzheads. I wanted a younger audience. I want to get global, I want to get bigger, he tells me. He hasnt just crossed over it sounds more like hes jumped ship, and thats rubbed a few people up the wrong way.

Im a musician reads his black, rapper-style hoodie as he lumbers over to meet me in a swanky Marble Arch hotel, as though that ought to be classification enough. The 35-year-old from Houston has just woken at lunchtime, hungover after a night out during which hed popped into Ronnie Scotts just to watch, and then one thing led to another. Somebody said, Is that Glasper? so I had to get on the stage, he says. Its a little surprising to hear that he still has his feet firmly under the table at Londons jazz epicentre, however, because in most other respects hes left that world behind.

It should be noted that as his interviewer, Glasper has chosen to take me, the lowly pop critic, away from Miley and Kylie duties ahead of his biggest London show yet. On his most recent albums, Black Radio and last years Black Radio 2, he has shifted from making complex piano trio albums to lustrous, smooth R&B, which sees him covering David Bowie and Nirvana and featuring the vocals of soul singers and rappers including Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Common and Lupe Fiasco.

He seems much happier making this kind of music and its not hard to get him talking about what he feels is wrong with the jazz world. Hes complained before about being knocked off the No 1 spot by Miles Davis, 22 years dead. When you play jazz you only reach a certain select audience and its the same audience every time, he says. Its like a secret society. The jazz audience doesnt get much bigger, theres a certain point where it just stops and thats pretty much it for the rest of your life.

Even before he changed his sound he was never a natural fit for jazz. A late starter on the piano at 12, with a gospel-singing mother, he was educated at Houstons High School for the Performing and Visual Arts alongside Beyonc. She was pretty quiet, I never really heard her sing at school, Glasper says. Despite winning a scholarship to attend Bostons prestigious Berklee College of Music, he then chose to study piano at the New School in New York, where he became best friends with the soul singer Bilal. Before he signed a record deal with Blue Note in 2005, the first new jazz musician on the label since Norah Jones, he was working as musical director for the rapper Mos Def.

I could have done Black Radio years earlier. It was on the cards, but I decided to wait. Now I think Ive proven myself musically, people respect me as a piano player, so now I can do what I want creatively. Nobody questions my ability.

The purists may not care for the new music, however, on which the players formidable piano ability willingly takes a back seat to a hazy, late-night sound thats strongly reminiscent of the neo-soul that Erykah Badu, Jill Scott and DAngelo made popular in the late Nineties. The piano hovers in the background for atmosphere, which is fine by Glasper.

Ive got to be honest, I dont necessarily have the need to solo at the moment. Ive been doing that so hardcore for 12 years. Now its refreshing that I can just groove and the audience is OK with it. Theres a time for showing chops, and then theres a time for groove. Thats the problem with a lot of musicians today they dont know how to sit back and chill. They think if you have it, you gotta use it no you dont. Its like if I was a black belt in karate, Im not going to go around knocking everybody out.

In concert, he now appeases the jazz fans with 20 minutes of chop-showing at the start of the show, followed by an hour-and-a-half of real songs for everybody else. Everybody else is the majority of his crowd these days. Im getting a different type of young person now. Before it was the artsy young person coming to the jazz show. Now its the young girl who would normally go and see Chris Brown or Lil Wayne, the regular people who dont know anything about jazz. I think when you start reaching the regular people, your music is really doing something. My goal is to be like Stevie Wonder, to make music thats on everyones iPod.

He compares his recent albums to Quincy Joness Back on the Block and Qs Jook Joint, from 1989 and 1995, which featured a mixed array of guest stars including Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Ice-T and Funkmaster Flex.

Hes great company despite his tiredness, often hilarious on the problems of the jazz world (Jazz is like this jealous ex-girlfriend Hey, where you going?) and happy to justify his musical choices all day. The way he speaks reminds me of Larry Davids fantastically blunt lodger Leon, played by JB Smoove, in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

When I ask him what he thinks Miles Davis would be doing if he were alive today, he says Collaborating with me! before Ive got to the end of my sentence. He gripes at excessive length about how long he had to wait to be the cover star on a jazz magazine, but seems much more content in this new world.

So much so, in fact, that at the 2013 Grammys he entered Black Radio in the Best R&B Album category, rather than Best Jazz album, and won. I had to choose one, you couldnt do both. Only certain people in the jazz world understood Black Radio. I chose R&B because the R&B world embraced it. It was something new for them and they loved it.

I speculate that the two albums arent considered jazz because of a lack of improvisation, yet he confirms that they were recorded in five and seven days respectively and largely grew out of jam sessions with the various guests. So if I didnt improvise, its not jazz? What about the hundreds of Billie Holiday tunes that have no solos in them? Wheres the line?

For Glasper, jazz simply means freedom. Its supposed to be the freeest music, yet its the most shackled. I think jazz is more of a spirit. His decision to use jazz as a springboard to go somewhere else might have made him a handful of enemies, but as he gazes out over a huge crowd at the Hammersmith Apollo, I doubt hell be dwelling on that. Im an outcast to a lot of people. But the fact of the matter is I dont mind being an outcast because youre going to respect me. You cant say Im not one of the top piano players. All you can say is you dont like what Im doing, and Ill take that any day.

The Robert Glasper Experiment are at Apollo Hammersmith, W6 (0843 221 0100, hammersmithapollo.net) on Wed Mar 12.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36965 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 01:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "Thanks for sharing this."
In response to Reply # 9

I mean, I knew why he started doing the Black Radio stuff, but reading him talking about it made me understand better.

https://digife.com

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Sat Mar-29-14 07:24 AM

18. "Hm this is interesting. I started with BR and BR2 and am going back now"
In response to Reply # 9

Now granted I'm not the normal young person but from what I've heard of the older albums I like them better. 20 minutes is nothing from all that material.

He'll be here with Ledisi in May I might go.

Also where's the vault on the stuff he and Bilal have yet to release....where are THOSE jam sessions lol

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Apr-02-14 09:40 AM

21. "reading this really pissed me off n/m"
In response to Reply # 9

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Anu Sun
Member since Dec 09th 2004
383 posts
Thu Apr-03-14 12:10 PM

23. "RE: Looking for Robert Glasper Trio in session at Maida Vale."
In response to Reply # 1

>
>I know I'm in the minority but I wish he would do more trio
>stuff

He still does Trio stuff between "Black Radio" tour dates and still sets in at local jazz session's here in New York. It's a tricky situation, yeah your true love is Jazz but a nigga got bills! And if you're sidemaning on these gigs any way why not pimp the situation and get a little paper? That carrying a Rhodes to a bar gig with maybe 50 people there gets played when you've bills and a family!!!

To be honest purest were killing jazz but in the spirit of Herbie and Miles, Rob is simply Jazzs latest revolutionary.

That's just my opinion tho....

^&->(Over & Out)
(OVER the bullshit, OUT on haters)

Anu~Sun

Wordman
Member since Apr 11th 2003
11224 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 08:17 PM

3. "sadly not on me"
In response to Reply # 0

But If I get my discs from storage, then yes.

normal35762
13246 posts
Thu Mar-27-14 08:43 PM

4. "Ok cool. Whenever that is can you hook it up?"
In response to Reply # 3

Wordman
11224 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 11:12 AM

10. "hit up airbreed. gonna be MONTHS from me fam."
In response to Reply # 4

One of these days I'm gonna live in place where I don't need a storage unit.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 09:43 AM

8. "Unless Wordman gets it to you first, I'll send a copy to you tonight."
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Mar-28-14 09:44 AM by Airbreed

Just remind me in an e-mail in case I forget.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 12:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "Could I get some love on that as well?"
In response to Reply # 8

I miss the trio days myself.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 12:53 PM

12. "me too, please!"
In response to Reply # 8

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

CherNic
37156 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 02:44 PM

14. "**raises hand**"
In response to Reply # 8

Wordman
11224 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 04:14 PM

15. "If you spreading the love, I mean..."
In response to Reply # 8

...you know...

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 04:33 PM

16. "me too? thanks in advance"
In response to Reply # 8

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

normal35762
13246 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 07:57 PM

17. "Request inboxed."
In response to Reply # 8

rmcphedr
501 posts
Sun Mar-30-14 11:18 PM

19. "RE: me ten!"
In response to Reply # 8

I can't miss out on the love. Thanks man!

Ascension
Member since Aug 25th 2003
6616 posts
Wed Apr-02-14 10:56 AM

22. "can i get a link too?!?!"
In response to Reply # 8

thanks.

Instagram: ascensionmusic

CherNic
37156 posts
Wed Apr-02-14 08:00 AM

20. "so did that inbox happen or...."
In response to Reply # 0

normal35762
13246 posts
Thu Apr-03-14 06:04 PM

24. "Not yet."
In response to Reply # 20

At least on my end.

normal35762
13246 posts
Tue May-06-14 08:46 PM

25. "No one?"
In response to Reply # 0

normal35762
13246 posts
Fri Oct-10-14 11:16 PM

26. "Still lookin for this. Anyone got it?"
In response to Reply # 0

normal35762
13246 posts
Mon Oct-20-14 02:23 PM

27. "No one? Really?"
In response to Reply # 0

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Tue Oct-21-14 12:15 PM

28. "SHIT. My apologies. I set the reminder on my phone to do it tonight,."
In response to Reply # 0

so, so sorry.

You'll have it tonight. Promise.

CherNic
37156 posts
Tue Oct-21-14 12:55 PM

29. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 28

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Tue Oct-21-14 08:58 PM

30. "Those who asked, got served. Enjoy."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Oct-21-14 09:12 PM by Airbreed

mashibeats
Member since Oct 08th 2008
440 posts
Tue Oct-21-14 11:12 PM

"RE: Those who asked, got served. Enjoy."

aaahhhh - am i too late ?

--

MARK de CLIVE-LOWE | @MdCL
http://MdCL.tv

Airbreed
Charter member
29434 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 07:44 AM

32. "RE: Those who asked, got served. Enjoy."
In response to Reply # 0

>aaahhhh - am i too late ?

Of course not good sir!

Check your inbox.

Sleepy
Charter member
6947 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 08:23 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
33. "I'd love a copy of this too."
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you kind sir.

You're such pests...now, what is it you want? In your depths of your ignorance, what is it you want? Well, whatever it is you want, I can't deliver because I just don't see it. - Orson Welles

Never Tired, Always Sleepy

mashibeats
Member since Oct 08th 2008
440 posts
Tue Oct-21-14 11:12 PM

31. "RE: Those who asked, got served. Enjoy."
In response to Reply # 30

aaahhhh - am i too late ?

--

MARK de CLIVE-LOWE | @MdCL
http://MdCL.tv

Nij
Charter member
1413 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 09:35 AM

34. "I would also love an inbox"
In response to Reply # 31

... if I'm not too late?!

Peace,

Nij

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 02:38 PM

35. "Would love this if I could get it"

Many thanks

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 03:53 PM

36. "may I ?"

rmcphedr
501 posts
Thu Oct-23-14 03:31 AM

38. "RE: Those who asked, got served. Enjoy."

thanks mate!

Wordman
11224 posts
Wed Oct-22-14 07:58 PM

37. "tracklist "
In response to Reply # 0

Marcus' Vain
Vision (featuring Nailah)
Joga

CherNic
37156 posts
Tue Oct-28-14 06:57 PM

39. "He just tweeted the original trio is recording an album in December"
In response to Reply # 0

“@robertglasper: SOOO i'm gonna record a trio album in DEC!!! With my original trio!! Hmm what r some dope joints to record??”

Wordman
11224 posts
Wed Oct-29-14 06:06 PM

40. "SAY WORD!!!!"
In response to Reply # 39

Lobby The Lesson topic #2877908 Previous topic | Next topic