Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2877269

Subject: "The one classic we can all agree that Madlib has turns 10 (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16576 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 03:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The one classic we can all agree that Madlib has turns 10 (link)"

http://www.stereogum.com/1671172/madvillainy-turns-10/franchises/the-anniversary/

Madvillainy Turns 10

Mar 24th '14 by Sam Behrens @ 2:55pm

Album art: http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2014/03/madvillainy.jpg

The underground has always been hip-hop’s lifeblood. Born in unofficial dance parties spread only by word of mouth, hip-hop’s beginnings are rooted away from the mainstream. The cutting edge of the genre has been found under rocks, in dark corners — something that’s never more true than when you speak of the woozy beats and lexical gymnastics of MF DOOM and Madlib’s Madvillainy.

The seminal collaboration between two of underground hip-hop’s most respected members came about at a time when hip-hop was, in many ways, split between two camps. There were the artists that fully embraced the integration of hip-hop into pop culture. Prominent 2004 releases like Twista’s Kamikaze, Talib Kweli’s The Beautiful Struggle, and Kanye West’s College Dropout, were crafted largely around soul samples just like those on Madvillainy, but Kanye’s pop-sensible fingerprint pushed those albums toward the mainstream. Another 2004 release, Danger Mouse’s Grey Album, even grafted one of rap’s biggest artists ever onto one of the greatest pop groups of all time. Madvillain, though, belongs to the other category of early-aughts hip-hop artists: those that actively avoided the influence of pop. Artists like El-P, Little Brother, Deltron3030, and Cannibal Ox were making music more accustomed to the dark spaces of the underground, where the primordial ooze of hip-hop catalyzes artists that are either too unpolished for bright lights, or have no interest in them whatsoever. Ten years later we find Macklemore collecting rap awards at the Grammys. Madvillainy was, and still is, a reminder of the dirt and grit that’s an integral part of the makeup of hip-hop.

MF DOOM’s origin story is shadowy and unclear by design. In the late ’80s Daniel Dumile (pronounced doom-ih-lay) was rapping under the name Zev Love X in a group called KMD with his brother DJ Subroc — the chrome mask that would later turn Dumile to DOOM was nowhere to be found. Elektra Records signed KMD, but before they could glimpse the release of an actual album, DJ Subroc was hit by a car and killed. Then, Elektra dropped KMD, and the ladder to stardom was knocked over while Daniel Dumile was still clinging to the first rung. The artist soon to be known as DOOM disappeared from the hip-hop scene in ’94. In later interviews he would claim that he spent the time living semi-homeless in New York, “recovering from his wounds,” and preparing revenge on the industry that “so badly deformed him.” In 1997 he reemerged, sporting a new identity and that foreboding mask. The super-villain, who sometimes sends impostors to perform in his stead, might not have existed if his brother had successfully crossed the Long Island Expressway in 1993.

Madlib’s origin story is less murky, though he still shares DOOM’s affinity for anonymity. Otis Jackson Jr. became Madlib through the venerable tradition of crate-digging. Turn-of-the-century hip-hop would not have survived without hands like Madlib’s — eager to pick through catalogue after catalogue of dusty and forgotten vinyl. From those bins, Madlib began stitching together hip-hop beats as part of a collective he called the Crate Diggas Palace. After doing production work for a few artists in the mid ’90s, Madlib’s new group Lootpack was signed to to a deal by Peanut Butter Wolf and his Stone’s Throw Records in 1998. At Stone’s Throw, Madlib began making a name for himself as an uncommon and prolific producer. His 2000 album, The Unseen, used funked-up voice modulation to create the character of Quasimoto. But just when Madlib’s career seemed poised to blow up, he pulled away. He began working on a jazz-based project in which he assumed multiple alter egos; the collection of pseudonyms and characters came to be known as Yesterday’s Universe. By the time DOOM and Madlib joined forces as Madvillain, each artist had his own collection of alter egos and secret identities, further obfuscating themselves from the exposing glow of the spotlight.

If you can locate MF DOOM, his tendency toward privacy makes him hard to work with. He takes the mask very seriously; only a select inner circle speaks to DOOM without the mask. If a stranger catches him bare-faced, he’ll pull his shirt up over his head, or grab a notebook to hide behind. The cover of Madvillainy, is a photo of DOOM in his mask. The light seems to only stick to the chrome, the face of Daniel Dumile is swallowed up in its shadow. His mouth disappears completely. Only the whites of his eyes are distinct, squinted with the distrust of a super-villain. A collaborative album with such a secretive artist might have seemed like the type of thing that would never actually happen. In an interview with Egotripland, Jeff Jank, art director for Madvillainy, explained the serendipitous nature of the whole arrangement. When Madlib mentioned he’d like to work with DOOM, it just so happened that somebody at the label knew a guy who knew DOOM. “Next thing we knew, DOOM was out in L.A. too, ’doing bong hits on the roof out in the West Coast,’ like he says in the first track he wrote for the album.”

Jank was present for much of the recording process, spending a good chunk of time with DOOM; in fact, the Hookie & Baba line from “Bistro” is a reference to some of Jank’s cartoon characters. The recording mostly took place at a house owned by Stone’s Throw Records in East L.A. Madlib set up shop in the basement, getting blunted in a former bomb shelter with thick, concrete walls. Madlib worked an intense schedule, producing an impressive stream of music between two breaks a day — to eat and smoke weed. In his interview with Egotripland, Jank detailed what happened after he picked DOOM up from his hotel in the morning:

"We’d hit a liquor store around 10am. DOOM would write on the back porch, Madlib doing his thing downstairs in the bomb shelter… DOOM understood Madlib right off the bat. He understood where he was coming from with the music, how it connected with the records they listened to from the ’60s-’90s, and Madlib’s inclination to work on his own in privacy. DOOM was all for it."

In a feature for Wax Poetics the Madvillains get into the artistic processes of Madvillainy. Madlib makes his beats using a 303 sampler to draw from a portable turntable, mastering directly to a tape deck — all of the beats on Madvillainy were made this way. It’s hard to find the stems of the samples that Madlib used because he simply didn’t save them. When Madlib records, he’s essentially doing a live set, a type of freestyle beat-making. “You can save samples, with an attachment for the 303 that you have to buy, but I don’t go through all that hassle. During the creation of the beats for Madvillainy I wasn’t saving ’em. I’d lay the beat straight out. To two channels.” He uses this technique, which produces a two-track recording rather than a more fine-tune-able multi-track version, because it discourages other producers from “fucking my shit up. Making, I don’t know, a house version of ’Curls’ … I seen what happens. I want to have my stuff out there as it’s supposed to be.”

Even back in 2004 the internet was the internet, so a copy of Madvillainy leaked a few months before the finished product would be released. The leaked version was clearly a rough cut, DOOM referencing the leak in “Rhinestone Cowboy,” “it speaks well of the hyper base, wasn’t even tweaked and it leaked into cyberspace / couldn’t wait for the snipes to place / at least a track list in bold-print typeface.” For the final version, DOOM would change his delivery with a lower tone and a more relaxed cadence. The new style played nicer with Madlib’s bass-heavy, insouciant production. The album followed a structure that rubbed radio the wrong way: short tracks, most under 2:30, with unorthodox or non-existent hooks, and verses that required no fewer than four listens to fully grasp what DOOM was getting at. DOOM wasn’t necessarily even getting at anything in particular. The album traverses the usual hip-hop tropes of drugs, women, and money — but set against obscure, unpolished samples. The byproducts of production were left where they fell; the pop of DOOM’s spit on the mic, the crackle of the record as it’s fed into Madlib’s 303 sampler. “America’s Most Blunted” samples Steve Reich and pokes around with marijuana. In “Fancy Clown,” Viktor Vaughn (one of DOOM’s alter-egos) prepares to kick MF DOOM’s ass for sleeping with his girl. The album is self-aware like that; DOOM repeatedly references Madlib’s production, perhaps most notably when he mentions the accordion sample on “Accordion”: “Slip like Freudian/ The first and last step to playing yourself like accordion.” “Meat Grinder” has DOOM describing a hookup with a “subtle lisp midget” before referencing Hemingway’s The Old Man And The Sea and finishing with an exasperated “…Jesus.” Sometimes the tempo varies so greatly in Madlib’s beats that laying a verse over them would be like trying to keep pace with a schizophrenic sprinter. On “Strange Ways,” DOOM hits the brakes hard on the final couplets, anticipating the downshift in BPM as though there was no other way to deliver that particular verse. Madvillainy is less about a conceptual theme than it is about using sound to craft semi-indecipherable vignettes that are situated somewhere between the real and the mythical.

Madvillainy finally had the spotlight searching for DOOM and Madlib. Although the album received meager radio play, and only peaked at No. 179 on the Billboard 200, it got positive write-ups in the mainstream press. Even the venerable New Yorker proclaimed that “Madvillainy is why independent hip-hop isn’t such a bad idea.”

During the 2004 Madvillain & Jaylib Tour, DOOM and Madlib found themselves in a Canadian record store for an interview with Canada’s MuchMusic. Clearly distracted by the surrounding vinyl, Madlib commented, “Hey, Canada’s got good records too…,” but the Sun Ra records were too expensive for him. While DOOM and Madlib dug through the crates, DOOM spoke on working with Madlib, the state of the industry, and the meaning of the mask:

"Madlib just got me back into the whole fun part of hip-hop. Until then I didn’t really have a partner, now I feel I found my partner… To me, from the musical aspect, hip-hop is going in a direction where almost damn near 100% it’s about everything besides the music — what you look like, the sound of your name, what you’re wearing, the brand of clothing, whatever intoxicant you choose to put in your body — everything except for what the music sounds like. The mask is really a testament to — yo, it’s not about none of that — it’s straight about the record. It’s saying that you can be any color, the mask represents everybody. Nothing else matters, brand of clothing, none of that. What matters is how you spit, and that the beats is raw."

Madlib released a tape called Madvillainy 2 in 2008. Filled with remixes of the original, the mixtape was reportedly an attempt to get DOOM excited enough to work on a true follow-up album. There have long been rumors that the project is nearly finished, but until we hear it, the second installment of Madvillainy resides in the same realm as Dr. Dre’s Detox. Maybe that’s exactly where it belongs: underground, in those dark hidden corners.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

OutKast, Gang Starr, UGK, Mobb Deep and Eightball & MJG

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Nice try, but we can't all agree on that n/m
Mar 24th 2014
you're a very tiny minority
Mar 24th 2014
of the people that have heard it, like it, know about it?
Mar 24th 2014
count me in that group....i prefer champion sound by far
Mar 24th 2014
Champion Sound is an uneven mess of an album
Mar 25th 2014
I agree. I think its ok....but damn its dissapointing IMO
Mar 25th 2014
yup.
Mar 25th 2014
The execution made me not dig that album
Mar 25th 2014
you seriously dont think Madvillainy's a classic?
Mar 24th 2014
Add me to that group
Mar 24th 2014
^^J.O.S.E.
Mar 24th 2014
cant believe its been so long
Mar 24th 2014
the demo is what i still listen too, plus accordion and that other joint...
Mar 25th 2014
Listened to it on the way to and at work. Still holds up very well
Mar 24th 2014
RE: Listened to it on the way to and at work. Still holds up very well
Mar 24th 2014
same here
Mar 25th 2014
      RE: same here
Mar 25th 2014
flipped it like madlib did an old jazz standard
Mar 24th 2014
Just listened to it in full
Mar 25th 2014
Really good album
Mar 25th 2014
At the gates of heaven knocking, no answer, slow dancer
Mar 25th 2014
the comments in this thread are funny
Mar 25th 2014
i love Madlib, but does he really have another classic???
Mar 25th 2014
Shades of Blue is the other album of his I consider classic
Mar 25th 2014
      Yeah
Mar 25th 2014
      That song goes so hard
Mar 25th 2014
      RE: Shades of Blue is the other album of his I consider classic
Mar 25th 2014
thanks for posting, i had no idea...
Mar 25th 2014
"Ever since the womb
Mar 25th 2014
It's a bonafide classic
Mar 25th 2014
One of my most favorite and most played albums in all of music...
Mar 25th 2014
Madvillain and RGB never left rotation that year .....
Mar 28th 2014
      All 3 are classics
Mar 28th 2014

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Nice try, but we can't all agree on that n/m"
In response to Reply # 0

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 04:23 PM

3. "you're a very tiny minority"
In response to Reply # 1

you, Bomb and Noz

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 05:26 PM

6. "of the people that have heard it, like it, know about it?"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm more than willing to say it's good. i'll let opinions of greatness pass. calling it a classic... meh.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

guru0509
Charter member
45301 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 08:24 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "count me in that group....i prefer champion sound by far"
In response to Reply # 6

>i'm more than willing to say it's good. i'll let opinions of
>greatness pass. calling it a classic... meh.

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18111 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 10:11 AM

23. "Champion Sound is an uneven mess of an album"
In response to Reply # 7

it has good songs but as an album it's severely lacking

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 11:58 AM

27. "I agree. I think its ok....but damn its dissapointing IMO"
In response to Reply # 23

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 04:40 PM

31. "yup. "
In response to Reply # 23

I always give folks who fawn over Champion Sound the side-eye

i mean its fun and is great in spots, but at most its a 3.5 outta 5

16576 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 10:13 AM

24. "The execution made me not dig that album"
In response to Reply # 7

When it was first announced, I thought they'd be rapping together but that whole I rap on your beats and you rap on mine just wasn't working for me. Of course there are some gems but the album wasn't that good.

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 11:18 PM

11. "you seriously dont think Madvillainy's a classic?"
In response to Reply # 6

Damn...

Numba_33
Charter member
19311 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 09:14 PM

8. "Add me to that group"
In response to Reply # 3

To this day, the only track I like on Madvillian is A Great Day Today, and I'm a fan of both Madlib and Doom.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 09:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "^^J.O.S.E. "
In response to Reply # 1

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 04:07 PM

2. "cant believe its been so long"
In response to Reply # 0

and even longer since the demo version dropped (i still prefer some of those versions of the songs). just recently saw the all caps video for the first time in forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

i forgot how dope that shit is.

couldn't get through that article though. this guy still talkin all about "underground hip hop" like its 1999 or some some shit

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
19. "the demo is what i still listen too, plus accordion and that other joint..."
In response to Reply # 2

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 04:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Listened to it on the way to and at work. Still holds up very well"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Mar-24-14 04:43 PM by mrhood75

And it's one of those albums I feel like I gotta listen to front to back in one sitting, if at all possible.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

16576 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 05:22 PM

5. "RE: Listened to it on the way to and at work. Still holds up very well"
In response to Reply # 4

>And it's one of those albums I feel like I gotta listen to
>front to back in one sitting, if at all possible.

Same here. Rarely do I ever skip around. Just let it ride out.

Kosa12
4988 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:27 AM

13. "same here"
In response to Reply # 4

most of the time I've listened to this album has been on a drive I know is going to take more than 47 minutes

----------

16576 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:10 AM

17. "RE: same here"
In response to Reply # 13

When I'm driving to the hometown to visit fam and friends I usually play this album twice.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 09:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "flipped it like madlib did an old jazz standard"
In response to Reply # 0

"When Madlib records, he’s essentially doing a live set, a type of freestyle beat-making. “You can save samples, with an attachment for the 303 that you have to buy, but I don’t go through all that hassle. During the creation of the beats for Madvillainy I wasn’t saving ’em. I’d lay the beat straight out. To two channels.” He uses this technique, which produces a two-track recording rather than a more fine-tune-able multi-track version, because it discourages other producers from “fucking my shit up. Making, I don’t know, a house version of ’Curls’ … I seen what happens. I want to have my stuff out there as it’s supposed to be.”"

Kosa12
4988 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:25 AM

12. "Just listened to it in full"
In response to Reply # 0

for the first time in a while

goddamn this shit is still flames. I actually discovered this album around 2005....just listening to this brings back memories of trying to put literally all my friends who listened to hip hop back in high school on to this shit. Used to listen to it all the time while walking between classes. Still Madlib/Doom's best album. Classic.

----------

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 01:46 AM

14. "Really good album"
In response to Reply # 0

Every good album doesn't have to be certified as "classic". It can just be good and that's no diss to it at all. Many of my favorite albums in all kinds of genres aren't classics. They're just good and I love them.

Oak27
Member since Apr 17th 2005
13180 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 08:40 AM

15. "At the gates of heaven knocking, no answer, slow dancer"
In response to Reply # 0

Hopeless romancer, dopest flows stanzas

Garhart Poppwell
18111 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 08:50 AM

16. "the comments in this thread are funny"
In response to Reply # 0

it's a sad state of affairs when we expect an album that sounded wonderful ten years ago to not sound the same today, and are surprised when it does
I keep telling you people albums don't sound worse over time, it's the same fucking album; if it sounds bad now it was bad to begin with no matter how much you liked it
Madvillainy is a masterpiece, bottom line, popular taste and changes in technique down the line won't change that

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57002 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:27 AM

18. "i love Madlib, but does he really have another classic???"
In response to Reply # 0

Garhart Poppwell
18111 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:30 AM

20. "Shades of Blue is the other album of his I consider classic"
In response to Reply # 18

much in the same way 45 King's first album was classic

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:42 AM

21. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Mar-25-14 09:46 AM by sectachrome86

I'm listening to Donald Byrd's "Stepping Into Tomorrow" as we speak, and as dope as it is I sort of wish I was just listening to Madlib's flip on Shades of Blue. That album got me into Byrd and jazz in general though, definitely one of my favorite albums. I'm gonna throw on Madvillainy after this though because of this thread. I never really sat down and really paid close attention to the lyrics.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

PCProductions
1217 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:19 PM

28. "That song goes so hard"
In response to Reply # 21

Incredible track. That album is amazing.

16576 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:56 AM

22. "RE: Shades of Blue is the other album of his I consider classic"
In response to Reply # 20

Agreed. Those are the only two I would consider classic. The Further Adventures... is a personal classic for me.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 11:11 AM

25. "thanks for posting, i had no idea..."
In response to Reply # 0

that "Dumile" was pronounced "doom-ih-lay." it all makes sense now!!!

late pass i guess, geez.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 11:24 AM

26. ""Ever since the womb "
In response to Reply # 25

‘til I'm back where my brother went
That's what my tomb will say
Right above my government, Dumile
Either unmarked or engraved, hey, who's to say?"

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

Nij
Charter member
1413 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 01:36 PM

29. "It's a bonafide classic"
In response to Reply # 0

But I still think "Operation: Doomsday" is better.

Peace,

Nij

Ishwip
Member since Jun 10th 2005
19953 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 02:56 PM

30. "One of my most favorite and most played albums in all of music..."
In response to Reply # 0

...with a guaranteed spot on my "trapped on an island can only bring 10 albums" list.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)

rileykillis
Member since Mar 28th 2014
60 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 07:44 AM

32. "Madvillain and RGB never left rotation that year ....."
In response to Reply # 30

They were different albums but damn if they weren't both burned permanently onto my brain. 100% agree re : Shades of Blue that is a beautiful album.

I don't know about classics, but Shades of Blue , Madvillain and The Unseen are pretty unf*ckwithable.

PCProductions
1217 posts
Fri Mar-28-14 10:13 AM

33. "All 3 are classics"
In response to Reply # 32

>I don't know about classics, but Shades of Blue , Madvillain
>and The Unseen are pretty unf*ckwithable.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2877269 Previous topic | Next topic