Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2877268

Subject: "R.I.P. Dave Brockie frontman for GWAR" Previous topic | Next topic
stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 03:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"R.I.P. Dave Brockie frontman for GWAR"

I'm not the one to be making this post, but didn't think it should pass unnoticed here.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-dave-brockie-k-oderus-urungus-gwar-202549

It’s been widely reported that Dave Brockie, known far better to fans as front-thing Oderus Urungus of GWAR, was found dead in his Virginia home yesterday evening. Brockie had been the leader and chief visionary of the theatrical metal band since its inception, 30 years ago. GWAR delighted rock fans and drama club enthusiasts alike, building a mythology around himself and a rotating cast of bandmates with elaborate costumes and names to match. Nobody left a GWAR concert unchanged, and that change often manifested itself in physical filth—audiences were sprayed with fake blood and other bodily fluids, much to their delight. Brockie was the last founding member of GWAR, and presumably the band will die with him. (Expect the tributes that will surely pop up soon to be mighty, though.) TMZ—so take this for what it’s worth—is reporting that Brockie’s death was not a suicide, that no note was found, and that there were no drugs in the house. Brockie was only 50.

On a more personal note, A.V. Club fans surely remember GWAR’s two appearances on A.V. Undercover. The band couldn’t have been friendlier (or better rehearsed!) than they were, marching around the office in their costumes and generally having fun with the whole thing. I made the mistake of referring to Brockie as “Dave” once he had already donned his Oderus Urungus gear, to which he responded, “Who the hell is Dave?!” (Prior to that, he responded to “Dave” just fine.) Here’s the band’s first appearance, doing Kansas’ “Carry On, Wayward Son.”

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
If u never saw gwar live in the past 25 years
Mar 24th 2014
oderus
Mar 24th 2014
RIP
Mar 25th 2014
an act I was more interested in academically than artistically
Mar 25th 2014
this was sad to hear. esp after the guitar man-
Mar 25th 2014
Very sad. Ragnarok was my shit in high school. RIP.
Mar 25th 2014

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 07:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "If u never saw gwar live in the past 25 years"
In response to Reply # 0

U missed out on an experience like none other. I got the large and small venue experiences. I regret not seeing them in the past 10 years though.

debo40oz
Member since Apr 16th 2003
4081 posts
Mon Mar-24-14 10:41 PM

2. "oderus "
In response to Reply # 1

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=gwar+fox+news&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=2A7BD8D93AC38565ECFF2A7BD8D93AC38565ECFF

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RIP"
In response to Reply # 0

He was hilarious and very creative. I seen them 4 or 5 times in my youth. Great memories.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 09:46 AM

4. "an act I was more interested in academically than artistically"
In response to Reply # 0

though the last time I saw an interview with him, he was waxing on about his old-time side project... man, though. 50.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

kinetic94761180
Member since Jul 05th 2002
17857 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:42 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "this was sad to hear. esp after the guitar man-"
In response to Reply # 0

not to far back....

Rjcc is code for "bitch-ass troll"

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Ryan M
Member since Oct 21st 2002
43744 posts
Tue Mar-25-14 12:56 PM

6. "Very sad. Ragnarok was my shit in high school. RIP."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------

17x NBA Champions

Lobby The Lesson topic #2877268 Previous topic | Next topic