Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2876129

Subject: "Music Criticism Has Degenerated Into Lifestyle Reporting (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Music Criticism Has Degenerated Into Lifestyle Reporting (swipe)"

how much of this is Rap's fault lol

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/18/music-criticism-has-degenerated-into-lifestyle-reporting.html

Imagine, for a moment, football commentators who refuse to explain formations and plays. Or a TV cooking show that never mentions the ingredients. Or an expert on cars who refuses to look under the hood of an automobile.

These examples may sound implausible, perhaps ridiculous. But something comparable is happening in the field of music journalism. One can read through a stack of music magazines and never find any in-depth discussion of music. Technical knowledge of the art form has disappeared from its discourse. In short, music criticism has turned into lifestyle reporting.

I’ve just spent a very depressing afternoon looking through the leading music periodicals. And what did I learn? Pretty much what I expected. I found out what the chart-topping musicians are wearing (or, in many instances, not wearing). I got updates on their love life, and learned whose marriages are on the rocks. I read updates on the legal proceedings of the rich and famous. I got insights into the food preferences and travel routines of megastars. And I read some reviews of albums, and got told by “‘critics” (I use that term loosely) that they were “badass,” “hot,” “sexy,” “tripped-out,” and “freaky.”

On a few occasions, a reviewer might mention the instruments involved in the making of an album—but usually skipped these apparently tedious details. I couldn’t find any cogent analysis of how these instruments were played. (No, I don’t count “totally shreds” as cogent analysis.) I didn’t read a single discussion of song structure, harmony, or arrangement techniques.

Who knows, perhaps editors have forbidden the discussion of music in articles on musicians. Judging by what I read, they want scandal and spectacle. Certainly the artists who deliver these get the most coverage, and musical talent be damned.

“It’s a sign of the times that celebrity trumps actual culture,” Billboard magazine editorial director Bill Werde recently complained in a parting shot before his departure from the periodical. He recalled his frustration after the American Music Awards when he tried to interest media outlets in covering some of the outstanding performances at the event. “I bumped into a producer for one of the shows that was contemplating coverage,” Werde describes. “And our conversation basically amounted to: ‘It was boring because nothing controversial happened.’” Werde concluded this open letter to his peers in music journalism: “Maybe, just maybe, we should focus on their art.”

A few days after he wrote these words, Werde was gone from Billboard. He announced that the parent company wanted to “move the brand in a more consumer-focused direction.” His replacement Janice Min, who will also retain responsibility for The Hollywood Reporter, offered few details, but talked about creating “a true entertainment super-brand.” I won’t try to decipher this corporate jargon, but my hunch is that the industry’s leading trade journal will pay even less attention to music, and focus more on scandals, spectacles and lifestyle-oriented stories.

I can hardly blame the power brokers at Billboard. The disappearance of critical judgment from music coverage can be seen across the full spectrum of modern media. Newspaper reviews have been downsized and many music critics with specialized expertise dismissed, especially in perceived “niche” categories such as jazz and classical, genres with small sales but a long history of smart music-driven criticism. TV reportage of music is even less sophisticated, with scandal stories predominating, except for the occasional obituary tribute to the dearly departed, where a word or two on musical matters is obligatory. On the radio dial, NPR offers occasional snippets of high quality commentary on musical artists, but one wonders how long they can hold out amidst the Bieberization of arts journalism. Some smart criticism flourishes in the blogosphere but, with all the background noise, you would have a better chance of finding a Victrola needle in a Radio Shack.

When Harry Connick, Jr. recently used the word “pentatonic” on American Idol, his fellow judge Jennifer Lopez turned it into a joke. And, indeed, what could be more humorous than a musician of Connick’s stature trying to talk about musical scales on a TV reality show? Yet football announcers not only talk about “stunts” or the “triple option” but are expected to explain these technical aspects of the game to the unenlightened. The hosts on business cable channels refer to PE ratios and swap spreads, and no one laughs at them. So why can’t a judge in a TV singing contest employ some basic music terminology? The pentatonic scale is a simple concept—just five notes (do, re, mi, so, la) we all learned as children. Yet even that tiny dose of musical knowledge is apparently too much for modern-day media.

It wasn’t always like this. When I was a child, Gunther Schuller’s byline appeared in Saturday Review, and Leonard Bernstein hosted music specials on CBS. In my teens, I could read smart, musically astute critics in many magazines and newspapers. I might disagree with the judgments of Harold Schoenberg, John Rockwell, Winthrop Sargeant, Robert Palmer, Leonard Feather, Martin Williams, Alfred Frankenstein, and others, but they knew their stuff. Many of them were musicians themselves. Sargeant had served as a violinist with the New York Philharmonic. Frankenstein had played clarinet with the Chicago Symphony. Palmer gigged in bands before he started writing about them. Feather had recorded as a pianist, and although he would never put Oscar Peterson out of business, he knew his sharps and flats.

But gradually the language of lifestyle squeezed out musical assessment. Critics who knew how to play this game flourished, and the best of them, following the lead of Lester Bangs, managed to compensate with metaphor and bravado for what they lacked in technical knowledge. Readers found this refreshing, especially as many of them now looked to define their own lifestyle by their album choices.

Few can remember a time when music wasn’t a tool of self-definition, but until the second half of the twentieth century this was only a small part of a song’s appeal. For most people living in the world, circa 1920, music was embedded into their life, not chosen as a lifestyle accessory. But gradually, over the next several decades, music’s value as a pathway of personal definition came to the forefront of our culture. Sometimes the shift was barely perceptible, but in retrospect we can gauge its profound impact. For example, people in rural America didn’t choose country music during the early decades of the 20th century, but were literally born into its ethos; yet by the ’70s, country music had evolved into a lifestyle choice, a posture adopted by millions who never roped a steer or herded cattle, but still wanted to affiliate themselves with the values espoused by the songs. By the time we arrive at the age of disco and punk rock, the music consciously builds its appeal on lifestyle considerations.

Record label execs and critics never actually announced that they had given up on music as music, but their actions made clear how little faith they retained in its redemptive power, how much they craved the glamour of other fields. They acted as if music were a subset of the fashion or cinema or advertising industries. Songs became vehicles, platforms for something larger than just notes and words. Or—dare I suggest?—something smaller.

Our everyday language also reflects this shift. During the entire year 1967, The Chicago Tribune only employed the word “lifestyle” seven times, but five years later the term showed up in the same newspaper more than 3,000 times. Fast forward to the present day: many newspapers have full-time lifestyle editors. This shift has impact on coverage of every aspect modern society, from sports to the weather. The lead-in for traffic is a cheery: “Now a look at your morning commute.” Business news is introduced with a glib: “Here’s a look at your money.” Hey Mr. Announcer, you better look fast. But the arts have suffered the most from this mind-numbing approach. Music, in particular, gets treated as one more lifestyle accessory, no different from a stylish smartphone or pair of running shoes. Hard-nosed criticism is squeezed out by soft stories, gossip and fluff. For better or worse, music journalism has retreated into a permanent TMZ-zone, where paparazzi and prattlers, not critics, set the tone.

Even statements that appear, at first glance, to address musical issues are often lifestyle statements in disguise. I’ve learned this the hard way, by getting into detailed discussions over musical tastes, and discovering that if you force pop culture insiders to be as precise as possible in articulating the reasons why they favor a band or a singer, it almost always boils down to: “I like because they make me feel good about my lifestyle.” Most disputes about music in the current day are actually disagreements about lifestyle masquerading as critical judgments.

Yet we need smart musical criticism more than ever nowadays. In my many years as music scribe, I’ve never encountered such a huge gap between the skilled and the unskilled, the talented and the wannabes. Listening to new releases, I am reminded of how an Australian friend once described the United States to me: “You Americans represent the best of the best, and the worst of the worst, all hopelessly mixed together.” The same is true of the output of the music industry in the present day. I hear artists who can sing like birds, others who would need to retire if Auto-Tune disappeared. I encounter songwriters who have mastered all the nuances of harmony, others who couldn’t modulate keys if you handed them the chords on a silver flash drive. I’m dazzled by performers who possess a deep grasp of rhythm; others apparently haven’t yet figured out the simplest syncopations.

Certainly non-musical factors also deserve attention from critics. We have all encountered artists with very little technical skill, who still succeed because they compensate with an excess of imagination and creative vision. And who knows, maybe waving a foam finger or dressing like a robot warrants a paragraph or two, even if it’s little more than a gimmick. But let’s not kid ourselves, these can’t serve as the foundation for a healthy musical culture. Musical knowledge empowers artistic expression. Critics who are unwilling, or perhaps incapable, of assessing such matters may still have some insights to offer, but they will struggle to fulfill the most basic responsibility of the music critic, which is to pay close attention to the sounds.

Yet there’s an even larger issue at stake here. The biggest problem with lifestyle-driven music criticism is that it poisons our aural culture. Discerning consumers who care about music and have good ears should be the bedrock of the music business, but many of them have given up on new artists because they can’t find reliable critics to guide them. Record labels, for their part, need frank, knowledgeable feedback from critics—both to keep them honest and hold them accountable—but such input is in short supply and veering towards extinction. Above all, artists deserve a milieu in which musical talent is celebrated and given some acknowledgement in the media.

In other words, criticism is a tiny part of the ecology of the music business, but an essential part. Without smart, independent critics who know their stuff, everything collapses into hype, public relations, and the almighty dollar. We have already seen where that leads us—take a look at the trendline of recording sales, if you have any doubts. It’s not too late to fix the mess, but that won’t happen until critics stop acting like gossip columnists, and start taking the music seriously again.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Music Criticism Has Degenerated Into Lifestyle Reporting (swipe)
Mar 18th 2014
it was a joke dummy
Mar 18th 2014
      poor philpot
Mar 18th 2014
Good article.
Mar 18th 2014
Pitchfork, TheQuietus, Waxpoetics, etc. That nigga can go suck a dick
Mar 18th 2014
all of them sell a lifestyle n/m
Mar 18th 2014
      Of course. But "lifestyle" here is celeb reporting
Mar 18th 2014
           agreed
Mar 19th 2014
As they allude to, it's not only music coverage that's like this
Mar 18th 2014
How did you keep a straight face after this?
Mar 18th 2014
At that point it had been a really long day and I just gave up
Mar 18th 2014
I think it's different during interview, though.
Mar 19th 2014
I agree with the general sentiments but...
Mar 18th 2014
talk about rose-tinted lenses (re:early 20th c.)
Mar 19th 2014
Well, music WAS kinda embedded in life
Mar 19th 2014
      0ver 100 million records were sold in 1920
Mar 19th 2014
           All those records were not necessarily music, though.
Mar 19th 2014
                RE: All those records were not necessarily music, though.
Mar 19th 2014
                     im also not sure what the writer meant
Mar 20th 2014
he is right about there being no middle ground anymore
Mar 20th 2014
I kinda agree with this
Mar 20th 2014

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Music Criticism Has Degenerated Into Lifestyle Reporting (swipe)"
In response to Reply # 0

white ppl love blaming hip hop for everything

yeah billboard, the american music awards and the publications that carry them are all hip hop …lol

poor philpot

i agree with the article though.

shit is just backwards.

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "it was a joke dummy "
In response to Reply # 1

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 04:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "poor philpot"
In response to Reply # 3

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Good article."
In response to Reply # 0

I'd say it's mostly because we don't have educated critics and instead just have bloggers where the drive isn't to deconstruct and examine the artform, but more to get clicks or be "first."

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Pitchfork, TheQuietus, Waxpoetics, etc. That nigga can go suck a dick"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-18-14 02:49 PM by BigReg

i am also confused at this music critique golden era he's talking about because I sure as hell never experienced it in my generation and I am an old fuck. The periodicals he mentioned completely ignored hip-hop and those that served that community (Source/Vibe) had a couple of year runs respectively before they fell off. Billboard in particular sucked outside of the fact they seemed to have even better access the Rolingstone and LOLZ at them using the term "lifestyle" when they were pushing everything bad about grunge.

Rollingstone was the last to fall, but lets not act like it wasn't giving a 16 year Birtney Spears jailbait covers when it had the chance.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:50 PM

5. "all of them sell a lifestyle n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 02:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Of course. But "lifestyle" here is celeb reporting"
In response to Reply # 5

Pitchfork is slanted as shit, but you cant say that they aren't music focused in their critiques (even with a biased slant).

That said, im a big fan of their redacted nonsensical reviews from the earlier days where the reviewers would just go on a MFA in Creative Writing rants

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 12:12 PM

17. "agreed"
In response to Reply # 6

Not familiar with the Quietus, but both Wax Poetics and Pitchfork, as much as they sell a lifestyle, also do music criticism (with varying degrees of quality, of course). It's one of the reasons I think folks' relentless criticism of Pitchfork often overlooks some of what they *do* contribute: they actually *do* talk about the music, not all of the time but a lot of the time, not always well but way better than most.

Lots of problems with Pitchfork, but give credit where credit is due.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 03:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "As they allude to, it's not only music coverage that's like this"
In response to Reply # 0

I roll my eyes every time I'm that I'm reading an interview with an actor or actress, and the writer spend a few sentences describing what they're wearing during the entire. I can't think of anything less interesting.

And I will say, anecdotally at least, some "major" artists are just as responsible for working to move the emphasis away from the music as any journalist. I remember asking Mack 10 when made him unique as an artist, and him telling me that "there's no one out there that can really chase paper like me." Or Kanye getting snotty and dismissive when I asked him what type of equipment he uses when producing, giving me, "Are you sure these are the type of questions you want to ask for this interview?" This was after him spending five minutes on the phone making a beat he said he was planning to give to the Young Gunz; it wasn't that far-fetched that I'd ask him about his production habits.

Anywho, journalists and artists like the focus on the "lifestyle" because it's easier to do. Talking about what they're wearing, who they're beefing with, and what other endeavors they want to explore after music is simpler and more straight-forward. In-depth analysis is tougher and more subjective beast.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Marbles
Member since Oct 19th 2004
22290 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 03:36 PM

8. "How did you keep a straight face after this?"
In response to Reply # 7

>I remember asking Mack 10 when
>made him unique as an artist, and him telling me that "there's
>no one out there that can really chase paper like me."

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 03:53 PM

9. "At that point it had been a really long day and I just gave up"
In response to Reply # 8

Seriously, his label flew me from the Bay to Chicago to do the interview with him during a photo shoot before the "Smoking Grooves" show that night. That was dope. Everything else, not as much.

Dude was FIVE hours late. Then did the photo shoot, preceded by the "appropriate" prep. By the time I got to interview him for 15 minutes while him and his crew rode from the shoot to the arena, I had given up on the interview resulting in much of anything. And, surprise surprise, Mack 10 was an exceedingly boring person. At least I got free airfare, show, dinner, and got to chop it up with the publicist, photographers, and the wardrobe and hair chicks; they were all cool.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Ketchums
Member since Jan 30th 2005
3417 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 10:27 AM

13. "I think it's different during interview, though."
In response to Reply # 7

>I roll my eyes every time I'm that I'm reading an interview
>with an actor or actress, and the writer spend a few sentences
>describing what they're wearing during the entire. I can't
>think of anything less interesting.

In an interview, I think describing the artist's lifestyle and/or setting for the interview can provide color to help paint a picture of what's going on. Of course it shouldn't be the focus per se, but if it's just a small part of a story, I'm not upset about it at all.

>And I will say, anecdotally at least, some "major" artists are
>just as responsible for working to move the emphasis away from
>the music as any journalist.

Agreed 100%. Artists/publicists/labels have their own agendas when they have interviews, and they push those. Just check out Kanye's interviews from last year as an example: he had a very specific message he wanted out there, and he steered every interview in that direction, even if that wasn't where the interviewer was taking it.

>I remember asking Mack 10 when
>made him unique as an artist, and him telling me that "there's
>no one out there that can really chase paper like me."

Speechless.

>Anywho, journalists and artists like the focus on the
>"lifestyle" because it's easier to do. Talking about what
>they're wearing, who they're beefing with, and what other
>endeavors they want to explore after music is simpler and more
>straight-forward. In-depth analysis is tougher and more
>subjective beast.

Exactly, and being a strong critic just isn't really rewarded as much anymore, either. So even for the people who would be willing to put in the work, there isn't a big payoff.

----

https://weketchum.contently.com/

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Mar-18-14 04:19 PM

10. "I agree with the general sentiments but..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-18-14 04:28 PM by Jakob Hellberg

...criticism of popular music (as opposed to jazz) has VERY rarely concerned itself with words like "pentatonic" or chord-changes or whatever. Rather, it was originally-as read in magazines like Tiger Beat and the pre-rockist Melody Maker and other-more about the musicians favorite colour or candy or food or whatever. Magazines like Crawdaddy and Creem set the stage for the Rolling Stone-type criticism but most of that was just pretentious drivel; thousands of words about where Dylan and Lennon and Townshend and Sly and whoever stood in relationship to society or great american literature or whatever;very rarely was it really indepth about music, no, it was about personality cult more than anything.

And with punk and onwards (think grunge, Hip-Hop etc.), it was frequently about how the music was rebelling against other forms of music and society and challenging conventions and norms and blah-blah but very rarely were there attempts to actually go indepth about the actual music on its *own* terms, no, it's always about where it stood in relationship to the rest of the culture.

If we are talking about Hip-Hop in particular, I was always very disappointed in the writing in magazines like Source and ibe and HHC when I started to get more heavily into the music/"culture"/whatever which is why getting on the internet in the mid-90's was so refreshing because on the newsgroups, I actually read people like a pre-fame Oliver Wang and the infamous Kari Orr (known later on OKP) delivering the type of writing and analysis I found challenging and interesting and expected fro other forms of music but rarely found in Hip-Hop "criticism" even if I didn't necessarily agree.

Anyway, if you are expecting pentatonics and cadential-patterns and indepth analysis of song-structures, I don't think there was ever too much of that in the popular music writing in the magazines

EDIT:Robert Palmer was excellent though and one hell of a special case-an old jazz/blues/60's rock dude who managed to find value in everything from Hip-Hop to Black Flag and Megadeth without trying to look young or "hip"-but the other writers mentioned are/were primarily jazz-critics... Gunther Schuller? Leonard Feather? Bernstein?? What type of fucking examples are those?

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 09:25 AM

12. "talk about rose-tinted lenses (re:early 20th c.)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Few can remember a time when music wasn’t a tool of
>self-definition, but until the second half of the twentieth
>century this was only a small part of a song’s appeal. For
>most people living in the world, circa 1920, music was
>embedded into their life, not chosen as a lifestyle accessory.

I know it's a small portion of the overall text, but it's pretty inaccurate if I'm even interpreting it the way he intends (it's a pretty vague idea he's addressing.)

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 11:20 AM

14. "Well, music WAS kinda embedded in life"
In response to Reply # 12

because, for the most part, when you wanted to listen to music... someone in the house had to actually get an instrument and PLAY it. Music wasn't this thing that came from record companies... it was in real life.

But yeah, I don't think that's how the author intended it.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 11:44 AM

15. "0ver 100 million records were sold in 1920"
In response to Reply # 14

source: http://www.fishpiss.com/archives/128 - no idea how trustworthy it is, but it seems good. Another source says 110 million for 1922, so it's probably fairly close.

And lest we forget Victrolas and records were sold in furniture stores. Furniture stores! About as lifestyle as it gets, in the 'lifestyle section of the paper' way the author's bitching about.

>because, for the most part, when you wanted to listen to
>music... someone in the house had to actually get an
>instrument and PLAY it. Music wasn't this thing that came from
>record companies... it was in real life.

on the other hand, ignoring records, there was still a strong popular music economy based around vaudeville and Tin Pan Alley... people weren't only singing the Child ballads that their grandparents had brought over with them, they were buying the sheet music published by major corporations and pushed on them by marketing schemes and public media and entertainment conglomerates.

>But yeah, I don't think that's how the author intended it.

The more I think about it the less idea I have of how he meant it to be taken.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 11:57 AM

16. "All those records were not necessarily music, though."
In response to Reply # 15

I haven't clicked the links yet so I don't know if it is referring specifically to music, but sermon records were hugely popular, comedy records, even goofy sound effect records like just a guy laughing for 3 minutes.

Also, the fact that radio DJs were destroying records after a single play might have had some effect on sales! (Not sure if that practice had kicked in by 1922 or not...)

>And lest we forget Victrolas and records were sold in
>furniture stores. Furniture stores! About as lifestyle as it
>gets, in the 'lifestyle section of the paper' way the author's
>bitching about.

We-elllllll.... musical instruments could often be purchased in furniture stores too. Anything made of wood (or paneled by wood) could be found in a furniture thing.

>on the other hand, ignoring records, there was still a strong
>popular music economy based around vaudeville and Tin Pan
>Alley... people weren't only singing the Child ballads that
>their grandparents had brought over with them, they were
>buying the sheet music published by major corporations and
>pushed on them by marketing schemes and public media and
>entertainment conglomerates.

Well, that's what I meant... the popular music economy was based primarily around sheet music rather than records. And that was because songs were meant to be played at home--by novice musicians, not professionals--and so in that sense, music was a part of life. Most households played their own music.

>The more I think about it the less idea I have of how he meant
>it to be taken.

I think he means it in some purist sense where music was appreciated as music rather than an indicator of lifestyle ("I'm a punk and I wear makeup and have piercings!" "I'm a hip-hop kid and my hat is backwards, my pants sag!" "I'm a country guy and I drive a truck and wear a big hat!"). And that much is true... but it's still... I think it's primarily the wording I disagree with rather than the sentiment (I think) he's trying to express.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Mar-19-14 01:29 PM

18. "RE: All those records were not necessarily music, though."
In response to Reply # 16

>I haven't clicked the links yet so I don't know if it is
>referring specifically to music, but sermon records were
>hugely popular, comedy records, even goofy sound effect
>records like just a guy laughing for 3 minutes.

Still, I'd be surprised f music wasn't by far the lion's share.

The stats in that fishpiss article on Caruso's contract and profitability are astounding - and he signed his first record deal in 1904!

>Also, the fact that radio DJs were destroying records after a
>single play might have had some effect on sales! (Not sure if
>that practice had kicked in by 1922 or not...)

I don't have any knowledge of this whatsoever and my attempts to google it have failed miserably...

>We-elllllll.... musical instruments could often be purchased
>in furniture stores too. Anything made of wood (or paneled by
>wood) could be found in a furniture thing.

and taken to someone's home, where they were (frequently) indicators of a lifestyle... 'look how genteel we are, my wife plays the piano and my daughter is learning Spanish Fandango on her parlor guitar.'

Sears and related mail-order catalogs were really the catalyst in the democratization of in-home music and dissemination of instruments to the hinterlands and non-middle-class. I think it's likely that a significantly higher proportion of Americans play - or at least own - a legitimate instrument or music-making device now than at any time in history.

>Well, that's what I meant... the popular music economy was
>based primarily around sheet music rather than records. And
>that was because songs were meant to be played at home--by
>novice musicians, not professionals--and so in that sense,
>music was a part of life. Most households played their own
>music.

I'm not sure that I buy that playing it yourself inherently makes it 'more a part of life' than cueing up a record or singing in the shower.

>I think he means it in some purist sense where music was
>appreciated as music rather than an indicator of lifestyle
>("I'm a punk and I wear makeup and have piercings!" "I'm a
>hip-hop kid and my hat is backwards, my pants sag!" "I'm a
>country guy and I drive a truck and wear a big hat!"). And
>that much is true... but it's still... I think it's primarily
>the wording I disagree with rather than the sentiment (I
>think) he's trying to express.

Well, the Grand Ole Opry started in 1925 and from the get-go was oriented toward not just rural music but a manufactured sense of nostalgia for a rural lifestyle, even as it broadcast all the way to Canada and Mexico. Perhaps that's part of what the author was talking about with 'over the next few decades' but man, it's part and parcel of musical experience.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Thu Mar-20-14 02:44 PM

19. "im also not sure what the writer meant "
In response to Reply # 18

im not even all that sure what lifestyle really means in this context unless hes just using it to say 'music writing is now just pandering to its audience'.

i think he just meant that in the Good Old Days, music was embedded in people's lifestyles (or weekly routine) because to listen to/see music being played, you generally had to go somewhere social to do that, you couldnt just play your ipod. for rich people, im sure home audio was an option, but for most, music was a recreational pursuit, but maybe more important as it was arguably one of fewer recreational pursuits, and if you wanted to engage with it, you had to take part in it in some way (in so far as going somewhere to hear it is taking part).

im not 100% sure how thats diff today to people going to shows (though im not sure concerts today still provide that much of a 'connective' experience), but i think he just means that music isnt worth anything without some kind of social identity to go with it.

but im not sure what kind of lifestyle he thinks popular music is really promoting (one that makes you want to buy a lexus? makes you wanna watch the kardashians? i dont know what kind of lifestyle miley cyrus is selling) as most music fans of a certain age seem to agree that music-led identities (rockers, b-boys, ravers, etc) have been on the wane for a while, now that everyone is 'eclectic'.

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Thu Mar-20-14 02:55 PM

20. "he is right about there being no middle ground anymore"
In response to Reply # 0

"Yet we need smart musical criticism more than ever nowadays. In my many years as music scribe, I’ve never encountered such a huge gap between the skilled and the unskilled, the talented and the wannabes. Listening to new releases, I am reminded of how an Australian friend once described the United States to me: “You Americans represent the best of the best, and the worst of the worst, all hopelessly mixed together.” The same is true of the output of the music industry in the present day. I hear artists who can sing like birds, others who would need to retire if Auto-Tune disappeared. I encounter songwriters who have mastered all the nuances of harmony, others who couldn’t modulate keys if you handed them the chords on a silver flash drive. I’m dazzled by performers who possess a deep grasp of rhythm; others apparently haven’t yet figured out the simplest syncopations."

its basically all the way commercial, or obscure and never likely to trouble anyone but the die hard and most persistent. which is a shitty place for music to be in 2014. music today really needs more of a 'middle class' (and i dont mean that in the social class sense). that was one of the things major labels used to be able to do - market and sell interesting/underground artists to the masses. its great there are so many cool little labels but for some reason, i find it a bit boring sometimes knowing no one else is listening (weird, cos when i was a teenager, that is exactly why i would have been interested, maybe cos that you can almost HEAR that niche-ness in the dissapointingly modest ambition of the music).

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Thu Mar-20-14 03:55 PM

21. "I kinda agree with this"
In response to Reply # 20

>its great there
>are so many cool little labels but for some reason, i find it
>a bit boring sometimes knowing no one else is listening

I wouldn't say boring, but I do find it sad when I'm really into someone under the radar and have no one to talk to about it.

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

Lobby The Lesson topic #2876129 Previous topic | Next topic