Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2874042

Subject: "Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop music?" Previous topic | Next topic
aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 05:35 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop music?"

I'm certainly no authority on his music or career, but, even on the surface, the man's impact is extensive. And yet, I don't think most (maybe, after a certain generation) would know his name, the music he was involved in, or recognize his picture. This, of course, being my anecdotal opinion.

From the Impressions to his solo career.

His work as a celebrated songwriter and producer.

His socially conscious lyricism.

His soundtrack work ('Superfly,' 'Claudine,' 'Sparkle', 'Let's Do It Again')

Founding the Curtom Records label and roster.

The samples and/or covers of his music over the last 20+ years of hip hop and R&B.

Even his (albeit, very limited) work with a few of the first wave of neo-soul artists (Lauryn, Erykah).

He just seems to be not as vocally celebrated as his contemporaries. And against his body of work, that seems so unfortunate. In terms of cited inspirations, he hasn't necessarily been a popular choice (Stevie, James, Sly, Marvin) and isn't even the most obscure (Donny, Shuggie), yet still seems to fly under the radar.

Was he not as popular as his contemporaries? Am I viewing his perceived success or impact through the lens of time or my own exposure?

I personally think his story begs for a two-hour 'Unsung' episode.

What say The Lesson?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop mus...
Mar 06th 2014
Mar 12th 2014
Mar 14th 2014
Mar 12th 2014
I don't know....
Mar 12th 2014

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 06:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop mus..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Mar-06-14 06:14 PM by Strangeways

well, he was a great songwriter...thats for sure and he did up the beatles on their versatile impressions record with their version of the fool on the hill and yesterday. I mean he made that sound better than the original.

aScribe
Member since Jul 13th 2005
815 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 10:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop mus..."
In response to Reply # 1

>well, he was a great songwriter...thats for sure

And therein lies my point, a certain segment (me, you, OKP, etc.) is aware of his songwriting ability, talent, and impact, but the general populace (or rather, the general R&B-listening populace, or black populace of a certain age) probably isn't.

And, sure, I realize not every artist is going to be famous, popular, celebrated, etc. at all times or maybe not at any time. It's just the juxtaposition of Curtis' talent...well, more his widespread impact, legacy, etc. vs. that of his "non-celebrity" shocks me.

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Fri Mar-14-14 08:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop mus..."
In response to Reply # 2

just for the way that he covered the beatles yesterday and the fool on the hill, he deserved that rock n roll hall of fame crown in 2000. its very sad that they didnt do it until he passed away though. that versatile impressions record with his version of the fool on the hill and yesterday is now my prized possession cuz his version sounds better than the original.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 10:18 AM

3. "RE: Is Curtis Mayfield the most unsung 'giant' in black American pop mus..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-12-14 10:19 AM by SoWhat

>I'm certainly no authority on his music or career, but, even
>on the surface, the man's impact is extensive. And yet, I
>don't think most (maybe, after a certain generation) would
>know his name, the music he was involved in, or recognize his
>picture. This, of course, being my anecdotal opinion.

my mother's generation is definitely hip to Curtis. and i think most members of my generation who know music are hip to him. but after us? i think you're right.

>Was he not as popular as his contemporaries?

i don't think he was. as far as his solo career, after Superfly he didn't have as much chart success or as much sales success for the most part. or as much radio airplay. or as much tv visibility as some of his contemporaries. and he didn't really crossover except w/Superfly.

Am I viewing his
>perceived success or impact through the lens of time or my own
>exposure?

of course.

>I personally think his story begs for a two-hour 'Unsung'
>episode.

i'd watch it.

fuck you.

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Wed Mar-12-14 10:21 AM

4. "I don't know...."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-12-14 10:22 AM by denny

I think his general popularity and acknowledgement is a little higher than you're saying. From his wiki:

Mayfield is a winner of both the Grammy Legend Award (in 1994) and the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award (in 1995), and he was a double inductee into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, inducted as a member of The Impressions into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991, and again in 1999 as a solo artist. He is also a two-time Grammy Hall of Fame inductee.

That's hardly 'unsung' imo. Not sure if he would be a household name like Stevie or John Lennon...but anyone that has any sort of passion about music most likely knows who he is.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2874042 Previous topic | Next topic