Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2873611

Subject: "Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations." Previous topic | Next topic
Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 05:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations."

So, I was going through the motions of listening to Ross' Mastermind album (very mundane and truly feels like he was just going through the motions of putting out an album) and saw the producer list for You Know I Got It, which is obviously derived from Jay's MCHG.

Now, the producer list on that one is: Boi-1da, Vinylz, Timbaland, Jerome "J-Roc" Harmon. I'm sorry, but, when I think of a Boi-1da and Timbo collabo joint, that track sure as hell doesn't sound like it. Pretty sparse (which I KNOW is the direction of modern rap music right now) and nothing special.

For the cat that's gonna come in and say that I don't understand how these things work: YES, I KNOW that more than likely Boi-1da probably did the main track and the other cats added in a few elements here or there, BUT, with so many heads on that credit, I just expected MORE.

Same can be said for Sanctified with Kanye West, Mike Dean, and DJ Mustard on the credit.

So, this whole phenomenon took me back to time LONG, LONG ago when I first experienced this same appall at so many hands in the pot but subpar soup:

Hot Shit Makin' Ya Bounce on Busta's ELE.

Straight loop with a little bass, drums and 808 added. Decent beat, don't get me wrong, but when I saw Nash Mack and D-Dot on the credit while I was reading the liners, I expected something pretty complex or MUCH hotter. Two of my favorite producers at that time and, when they connected, THIS was what I got?!

Am I the only one that has thought this?

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Speaking of Mustard, it's funny when you find out he has 1-2 producers
Mar 04th 2014
I'm with you..
Mar 04th 2014
RE: Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations.
Mar 04th 2014
Can't say that's ENTIRELY true...
Mar 04th 2014
RE: Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations.
Mar 04th 2014
Always appreciate insight from an insider.
Mar 04th 2014
      I stay watching for Anthony Kilhoffer's name.
Mar 04th 2014
      Yup, he normally got heat...
Mar 05th 2014
      RE: Always appreciate insight from an insider.
Mar 05th 2014
Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop
Mar 04th 2014
RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop
Mar 05th 2014
Mar 05th 2014
Mar 05th 2014
Mar 06th 2014
Mar 06th 2014
Mar 08th 2014
      At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too
Mar 06th 2014
           RE: At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too
Mar 06th 2014
                RE: At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too
Mar 08th 2014
Alot heads really got shit twisted.
Mar 05th 2014
It's kind of just a role reversal back to its origins.
Mar 06th 2014
      To me a great hip hop/rap producer
Mar 06th 2014
When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus...
Mar 06th 2014
RE: When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus...
Mar 08th 2014
RE: When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus...
Mar 08th 2014
Ye will be remembered.....
Mar 08th 2014
      RE: Ye will be remembered.....
Mar 08th 2014
Straight like That!
Mar 08th 2014

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 06:39 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Speaking of Mustard, it's funny when you find out he has 1-2 producers"
In response to Reply # 0

behind some of his beats. Even "I'm different" was Mike Free and him together. But you can tell, when you compare a "4Gs" to "Nothin like me" on his album...almost sounds like how the hell could the same producer make such a simple beat, and then such a lush one?

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 06:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I'm with you.."
In response to Reply # 1

>behind some of his beats. Even "I'm different" was Mike Free
>and him together. But you can tell, when you compare a "4Gs"
>to "Nothin like me" on his album...almost sounds like how the
>hell could the same producer make such a simple beat, and then
>such a lush one?

Most producers don't have that kind of range, except for maybe someone like The Neptunes, etc..

I didn't know about this Mike Free cat, but, I'm not surprised. It's all smoke and mirrors in the production game.

But, yeah, a simple ass beat like I'm Different DEFINITELY shouldn't require two dudes.

Come to grips with the fact that most OKP's are of the Nut Hugger lineage, so, if you' re not part of the little cliques that exist 'round here, your posts will probably tank like Souljaboy's album sales.

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 08:16 PM

3. "RE: Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-04-14 08:17 PM by I. Motion

that's what I love about cats like Premo,Pete Rock,Dilla.ALC, Spinna,
J-Rawls......

when you see their name dolo by the "produced by"

it leaves me in even more awe and admiration for their talent

no guess work need be done

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:20 PM

6. "Can't say that's ENTIRELY true..."
In response to Reply # 3

>that's what I love about cats like Premo,Pete Rock,Dilla.ALC,
>Spinna,
>J-Rawls......
>
>when you see their name dolo by the "produced by"
>
>it leaves me in even more awe and admiration for their talent
>
>
>no guess work need be done

Back in the day, the credits for hip hop releases were very scant and I've heard that many cats would bring a drummer, bassist or keyboard player in and never list them on the credit. Whether this was on purpose or not is up for discussion.

One great example is a debate I had with someone on here about how DJ Dez wasn't credited on Didn't Cha Know for doing the percussion. They claimed he was listed, I pulled out the liners and proved them wrong.

Now, once again, that could be the fault of the record label, but, needless to say, he wasn't there.

So, I say that to say this: Unless you were there during the actual COMPLETE creation of a track, there's always "some" guesswork that can be done.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 09:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "RE: Multi-producer tracks that sound like one man creations."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Mar-04-14 09:35 PM by double 0

Most of these kids don't know what they are doing.... They were literally just pluggin in dots on Fruity loops and hit a couple cool melodies. But like they don't know anything about music and now they are in demand... so they need help..

They also have shitty drums.. like e.g. "niggas in paris" the melody was done on fruity loops on an iphone/ipad I think.. but the drums were not good (I was told) so Ye comes in and makes them what they are... adds switch ups and all that shit... then someone might come in and add a string section etc...

Also.. lots of times cats are takin submissions.. so like the young home might have a dope idea but if you cleaned it up its a banger... so yea..

everything is committee's these days..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:03 PM

5. "Always appreciate insight from an insider."
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Mar-04-14 11:08 PM by Remedial

>Most of these kids don't know what they are doing.... They
>were literally just pluggin in dots on Fruity loops and hit a
>couple cool melodies. But like they don't know anything about
>music and now they are in demand... so they need help..

This definitely would be the case with the new generation of FL Studio producers. They might be able to program the hell out of some drums (although, that's up for discussion because all these rolling 1/32-1/64 note hi-hats and pitched 808 patterns are starting to sound the same to me) but the melodies appear to be lucky accidents or might be derived from sample packs.

I was having a discussion with a friend of mine recently about how all these new programs have lead to the proliferation of so-called producers in the game and has also cheapened the value of a great beat.

Back in the day, there might have only been one cat in the hood with an MPC or an SP-1200 and he was the cat everyone came to for beats and was also the most likely to get a placement because the cost of entry was so high. Cats FORGET that these machines were THOUSANDS of dollars when they first came out.

So, with so few cats having the equipment, if you were one of the lucky few, your chances of getting that track on a release was considerably high.

Now, with the numerous computer programs available today , EVERYONE with the latest cracked version of FL Studio and a couple youtube tutorials under his belt is calling himself a producer. And, now with 1,000's of heads to separate yourself from, you get the cats leasing beats for 0.99, which in turn has emcees EXPECTING you to give them beats for free or damn near it and an complete weakening of the marketplace for beats.

Ain't no more running up on an artist with that beat cd because they already get like a thousand a day online and probably won't waste time listening to yours. Just add it to the pile or discard it at the next refuse bin.

Sad to see, but, that's the game...

>They also have shitty drums.. like e.g. "niggas in paris" the
>melody was done on fruity loops on an iphone/ipad I think..
>but the drums were not good (I was told) so Ye comes in and
>makes them what they are... adds switch ups and all that
>shit... then someone might come in and add a string section
>etc...

Didn't know that. Adds a different dimension to that track for me knowing the background story. Also, I think that too many heads don't give enough credit to engineers when it comes to the adoration some producers get for their sound, ESPECIALLY the drums.

I know some producers are now selling these "official" drum kits but the irony of that is, they're giving you the drums pre-mixdown, which many times makes them as useful as the many other drum sounds you can find on the net or EXACTLY those SAME sounds. Yeah, I'm getting the kick or snare from so and so track, but, it SURE sounds nothing like what I heard on the cd.

Just another hustle IMHO and I would be ALL up for buying these sounds if I was getting what I heard on the actual release, but, many times I'm guessing the producer may not even have the stems of the final mix and/or master. Until then, I'll stick to crafting my own sounds...

>Also.. lots of times cats are takin submissions.. so like the
>young home might have a dope idea but if you cleaned it up its
>a banger... so yea..
>
>everything is committee's these days..

I had heard about that. I know that Swizz has been accused of this, along with Dre back in the day. But, that's just the game. It's great to see the larger producers giving credit to all the players and co-producers nowadays, in contrast to when it just used to be their names on joints. That would be my greatest concern with that side of the game.

But, I must say, things have really changed from the day when the image of a hip hop producer was one cat in a room with some records and an MPC.

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:37 PM

7. "I stay watching for Anthony Kilhoffer's name."
In response to Reply # 5

was not a surprise to me when he showed up as a producer on CyHi's latest mixtape and it was a FIRE ASS SONG.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 12:12 AM

9. "Yup, he normally got heat..."
In response to Reply # 7

>was not a surprise to me when he showed up as a producer on
>CyHi's latest mixtape and it was a FIRE ASS SONG.
>
>
>~~~~~~~~~
>"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
>http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
>Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 01:12 PM

13. "RE: Always appreciate insight from an insider."
In response to Reply # 5

The official drumkit game is like merch... it's like buying a t-shirt for would be producers..

I applaud it..

But they do get work.. The deadmau5 kits and vengeance kits get mad burn in pop music...

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:50 PM

8. "Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 0

True collabs where one does part a and another does part b, or both are in the studio fucking with equipment together are completely acceptable and usually audible. But given your beat to anyone but an engineer to finish.... bullshit. Stay in the lab and learn how to finish a beat.

And smh at mofo's insisting on production credits for some shit they added the hi-hats for. You ain't produce shit, you were a fucking session musician. I don't give a fuck if you are the biggest producer name out right now, you just reduced yourself down to a session musician for that.

I want to say I can't believe shit has gotten this far, but it's exactly why I stopped doing the beat hustle. Cause back then everyone was grabbing ya points to get beats placed. The last time I ever did that shit was right after recreating a whole beat for a known producer cause they couldn't clear the sample. Shit was an opportunity cause they said I could shop some shit for the project too. Shit's looking good to get placed, then my fucking lawyer who's brokering the deal is like he want's two points. MOTHERFUCKER YOU AIN'T DO SHIT ON MY SHIT AND I'M PAYING YOU TO PROTECT MY SHIT NOT TALK ME OUT MY OWN FUCKING POINTS!! All for some shit I on't even like. Fuck and that.

Everyone talks about playing the game. Fuck that. Playing the game just means letting yourself get fucked until you can find someone under you to fuck. I'd rather play music.

</oldmanrant>

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 12:15 AM

10. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Mar-05-14 12:16 AM by Remedial

>I want to say I can't believe shit has gotten this far, but
>it's exactly why I stopped doing the beat hustle. Cause back
>then everyone was grabbing ya points to get beats placed. The
>last time I ever did that shit was right after recreating a
>whole beat for a known producer cause they couldn't clear the
>sample. Shit was an opportunity cause they said I could shop
>some shit for the project too. Shit's looking good to get
>placed, then my fucking lawyer who's brokering the deal is
>like he want's two points. MOTHERFUCKER YOU AIN'T DO SHIT ON
>MY SHIT AND I'M PAYING YOU TO PROTECT MY SHIT NOT TALK ME OUT
>MY OWN FUCKING POINTS!! All for some shit I on't even like.
>Fuck and that.

I've heard stories like this before. And normally by the guy who's brokering the deal. Folks wanna get paid for nothing and destroy entire working relationships when they could still be eating off of that right now.

Some cats can't hep but to expose their greedier side when they see a potential payday.

>Everyone talks about playing the game. Fuck that. Playing
>the game just means letting yourself get fucked until you can
>find someone under you to fuck. I'd rather play music.

You nailed it on the head.

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 12:20 AM

11. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 8

>True collabs where one does part a and another does part b,
>or both are in the studio fucking with equipment together are
>completely acceptable and usually audible. But given your beat
>to anyone but an engineer to finish.... bullshit. Stay in the
>lab and learn how to finish a beat.

So true. But, you know how it is, some cats get so enamored by the things that their fame has bought/brought them, they want to spend more time messing with that than perfecting the skill that got them there in the first place.

>And smh at mofo's insisting on production credits for some
>shit they added the hi-hats for. You ain't produce shit, you
>were a fucking session musician. I don't give a fuck if you
>are the biggest producer name out right now, you just reduced
>yourself down to a session musician for that.

That was Puffy's whole thing. Turn a knob and get credit. I remember reading an article in Scratch one time where they were trying to sell us on him "actually" working on beats and having a good ear.

Whatever...

double 0
7007 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 12:44 PM

12. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed Mar-05-14 12:55 PM by double 0

Its not just about "Finishing a beat". You could be finished. But that finished ain't good enough for the radio. It might need chord changes, different drums, more instrumentation etc... can you hire a string section? Get the "right" artist write a hit on it?

This isnt the puff "changed the hi hat" for production credit era. For someone like Kanye.. he'd rather credit every idea in the room when shit was made than have people come back trying to sue or talk shit.. I applaud that

When I did Free At Last I needed a full sample replay.. They wanted some crazy shit to clear it. Some of the replay people wanted credit and points because they could replay it in a way that we wouldn't have to clear the publishing at all. That's a new melody that's deserving of production credit. In the end I just had a straight replay done but I couldn't be mad about giving up credit.

IMO I am glad the days of the "ghost producer" are dead. Even if it means that 4 people are credited. If you have the hustle the credits can lead to a pub deal and more work..

Every big producer has had or is a team.. Quincy, Dre, Bomb Squad, Timbo, Neptunes, Darkchild, Swizz, Dr Luke.. etc.. so mike will, hit boy or mustard having their own teams is not anything new.

Also man.. how rare is it to find a multi-instrumentalist.. who can chop the shit out of a sample.. have crazy drums AND make radio ready records? That shit is so rare I can't even name one person... Maybe Chad from Neptunes.. even then his song structures needed Pharrell to organize and write to...

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 06:19 AM

15. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 12

>Its not just about "Finishing a beat". You could be
>finished. But that finished ain't good enough for the radio.
>It might need chord changes, different drums, more
>instrumentation etc... can you hire a string section? Get the
>"right" artist write a hit on it?

I guess this is the same thing as a cat asking for help from someone who may be better at drum programming, drum selection, chops, etc...

For someone who can execute the whole process on his own, I can see why imcvspl would see anything less as amateur.

>This isnt the puff "changed the hi hat" for production credit
>era. For someone like Kanye.. he'd rather credit every idea
>in the room when shit was made than have people come back
>trying to sue or talk shit.. I applaud that

But it still leads to damned if you do, damned if you don't syndrome, in the sense that, you have the naysayers who will be eager to say Kanye really wasn't the chief producer on the track and that _________ was really the mastermind.

I remember one time I was on another forum and this cat was saying Flylo didn't deserve credit for some of his earlier tracks because someone else had played piano pieces on them. I had to rip him a new one (not because I'm a Flylo stan or anything like that; I just felt that enough was enough with this whole "discrediting" thing we do nowadays) and ask him if Roland deserves production credit on tracks with 808's on them. Or if Gretsch or Martin should get the same on every country or rock track where their products are featured.

I know that it's not the same thing as a PERSON playing on a track, which I feel should always be credited, but, some cats are quick to say someone didn't produce a track as soon as they see or HEAR that a session musician played on the track.

But, at the end of the day, it doesn't mess with his paper flow, so, I'm sure he don't care, but I hate to hear all that noise from the haters.

>When I did Free At Last I needed a full sample replay.. They
>wanted some crazy shit to clear it. Some of the replay people
>wanted credit and points because they could replay it in a way
>that we wouldn't have to clear the publishing at all. That's
>a new melody that's deserving of production credit. In the
>end I just had a straight replay done but I couldn't be mad
>about giving up credit.

Did you end up still having to give up publishing to the original artist since you went with the straight replay?

But, I do agree with you that, if someone can replay a sample using a new melody that will help me bypass publishing, a few points won't be that bad a thing. I don't know about production credit, though, as without your idea of using that sample, the whole situation would not have occurred.

>IMO I am glad the days of the "ghost producer" are dead. Even
>if it means that 4 people are credited. If you have the
>hustle the credits can lead to a pub deal and more work..

Yup. The only sad part is that there is probably hella talented producers who's full potential was never realized because of them being turned off by the whole ghost producer game.

Speaking of which, I would still love to hear something from Mel-Man (although I know he doesn't particularly fit the role of a ghost producer). I feel Dre's period working with him was his most prolific. But it seems he's either blacklisted or just turned his back on the game.

>Every big producer has had or is a team.. Quincy, Dre, Bomb
>Squad, Timbo, Neptunes, Darkchild, Swizz, Dr Luke.. etc.. so
>mike will, hit boy or mustard having their own teams is not
>anything new.

There was ONE Timbo track (Lie To Me by Keri) where, upon first listen, I was like, ain't NO WAY one person came up with all THIS. Needless to say, I was right, J-Roc was credited as co-producer. So, in some scenarios, you can HEAR where more than one hand was in the pot, which is also a fine line, sometimes leaning towards sounding too busy.

>Also man.. how rare is it to find a multi-instrumentalist..
>who can chop the shit out of a sample.. have crazy drums AND
>make radio ready records? That shit is so rare I can't even
>name one person... Maybe Chad from Neptunes.. even then his
>song structures needed Pharrell to organize and write to...

Pretty rare. I'm guessing that's a compliment to imcvspl, and, if so, well deserved. And, yeah, Chad is VERY talented, but, when you listen to his solo stuff, you can tell that, without Pharrell's intervention, most of his stuff would be too cerebral or estoeric for radio. He definitely would have been an underground champion, though.

double 0
7007 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 05:04 PM

17. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 15

>
>For someone who can execute the whole process on his own, I
>can see why imcvspl would see anything less as amateur.
>

That's like saying if Zuckerberg doesnt KEEP coding facebook all by himself he is an amateur. This is a business.

>
>But, at the end of the day, it doesn't mess with his paper
>flow, so, I'm sure he don't care, but I hate to hear all that
>noise from the haters.

Kanye doesn't care.. Producers execute a vision.. That was always the role..

>
>Did you end up still having to give up publishing to the
>original artist since you went with the straight replay?
>

They took ALL the publishing.. lol.

>But, I do agree with you that, if someone can replay a sample
>using a new melody that will help me bypass publishing, a few
>points won't be that bad a thing. I don't know about
>production credit, though, as without your idea of using that
>sample, the whole situation would not have occurred.
>

My idea.. is not producing.. it's an idea. If it takes multiple ideas to complete the song then everyone gets credit where they should

>Yup. The only sad part is that there is probably hella
>talented producers who's full potential was never realized
>because of them being turned off by the whole ghost producer
>game.

Turned off because they made a lot of money? Most ghost producers lack key elements to be "the man" anyway. Those that don't usually continue to get work in the game. No one becomes a superstar producer w/o actually being ON the record. Talking, rapping, hooks etc..

My favorite ghost producer is Brian Kidd and he stays getting work and being ghost for that matter

>There was ONE Timbo track (Lie To Me by Keri) where, upon
>first listen, I was like, ain't NO WAY one person came up with
>all THIS. Needless to say, I was right, J-Roc was credited as
>co-producer. So, in some scenarios, you can HEAR where more
>than one hand was in the pot, which is also a fine line,
>sometimes leaning towards sounding too busy.

does it really matter? lol Like are you really listening like.. "Oh man... J Roc.. DEFINHTELY played that main synth line or rhythm guitar"

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 06:29 PM

22. "RE: Having another beatmaker fix your beats is anti-hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 17

>>
>>For someone who can execute the whole process on his own, I
>>can see why imcvspl would see anything less as amateur.
>>
>
>That's like saying if Zuckerberg doesnt KEEP coding facebook
>all by himself he is an amateur. This is a business.

When you put it like that, I gotta say you're right. Someone could sit there all day and sweat it out coding or hire a team and make tremendous strides in a day that it would take them months to make alone.
>>
>>But, at the end of the day, it doesn't mess with his paper
>>flow, so, I'm sure he don't care, but I hate to hear all
>that
>>noise from the haters.
>
>Kanye doesn't care.. Producers execute a vision.. That was
>always the role..

Hip hop "fans" definitely took that intended vision and bastardized it into that "one cat in a room" fantasy. I've always known that "working" producers usually could give a shit about what someone else thinks about the way things should go, ESPECIALLY fans and nascent producers.

>>Did you end up still having to give up publishing to the
>>original artist since you went with the straight replay?
>>
>
>They took ALL the publishing.. lol.

Shit. So goes the sampling game...

>>But, I do agree with you that, if someone can replay a
>sample
>>using a new melody that will help me bypass publishing, a
>few
>>points won't be that bad a thing. I don't know about
>>production credit, though, as without your idea of using
>that
>>sample, the whole situation would not have occurred.
>>
>
>My idea.. is not producing.. it's an idea. If it takes
>multiple ideas to complete the song then everyone gets credit
>where they should

True, credit is deserved, BUT, is "production" credit due if you just helped to replay a sample? Without you're vision or ear, none of this would have come about.

>
>>Yup. The only sad part is that there is probably hella
>>talented producers who's full potential was never realized
>>because of them being turned off by the whole ghost producer
>>game.
>
>Turned off because they made a lot of money? Most ghost
>producers lack key elements to be "the man" anyway. Those
>that don't usually continue to get work in the game. No one
>becomes a superstar producer w/o actually being ON the record.
> Talking, rapping, hooks etc..

True, although I've always kind of felt the superstar tag was reserved for those that have albums under their belt where they handled the majority of the production.

>My favorite ghost producer is Brian Kidd and he stays getting
>work and being ghost for that matter

I've heard his drums are CRAZY.

>>There was ONE Timbo track (Lie To Me by Keri) where, upon
>>first listen, I was like, ain't NO WAY one person came up
>with
>>all THIS. Needless to say, I was right, J-Roc was credited
>as
>>co-producer. So, in some scenarios, you can HEAR where more
>>than one hand was in the pot, which is also a fine line,
>>sometimes leaning towards sounding too busy.
>
>does it really matter? lol Like are you really listening
>like.. "Oh man... J Roc.. DEFINHTELY played that main synth
>line or rhythm guitar"

No way of telling that, kind of stuff, persay, and that's not really what I was trying to say. I was moreso trying to say that some times there are so many change ups and disparate parts that it's hard to believe one person did all that without referencing another set of ears.

>
>
>

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 06:22 PM

18. "At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too"
In response to Reply # 12

>Its not just about "Finishing a beat". You could be
>finished. But that finished ain't good enough for the radio.
>It might need chord changes, different drums, more
>instrumentation etc... can you hire a string section? Get the
>"right" artist write a hit on it?

I get what you're saying but that's all pop production shit. Hip-hop used to be the antithesis of that particularly from a production stand point. It didn't adhere to those rules. Back then radio didn't touch hip-hop. What changed isn't that radio started embracing hip-hop but rather hip-hop started embracing radio and letting radio dictate it's sound. And the thing that was key in making that happen were the people that ain't do shit but steal points from the creative folk. They were the ones that pushed that shift, and capitalized off of it.

No doubt there wasn't a tenth of the monetary potential there is now back then, but for all the shiny dress up my beat so it sounds like something Justin Beiber could rock to, hip-hop as a sound was better then. All of the mistakes and dirty eq's gave each track its own character and that character defined.

>IMO I am glad the days of the "ghost producer" are dead. Even
>if it means that 4 people are credited. If you have the
>hustle the credits can lead to a pub deal and more work..

Thing is sometimes you didn't want the credit, just the check. Ghostin was a way to get a new piece of gear. You didn't necessarily want your name attached to it though.

>Every big producer has had or is a team.. Quincy, Dre, Bomb
>Squad, Timbo, Neptunes, Darkchild, Swizz, Dr Luke.. etc.. so
>mike will, hit boy or mustard having their own teams is not
>anything new.

That's confusing the issue though. It's not about having a team. I had a team, we all worked together. We all held our own. We could go to each other for opinions and help outs. But we'd never turn our shit over to the next man to finish. Everyone took ownership of their own shit. People played on other folk shit. Call up the cat with key chops to finesse the chords or whatever. It was still yours.

>Also man.. how rare is it to find a multi-instrumentalist..
>who can chop the shit out of a sample.. have crazy drums AND
>make radio ready records? That shit is so rare I can't even
>name one person... Maybe Chad from Neptunes.. even then his
>song structures needed Pharrell to organize and write to...

DJ Quik.

But sure you want to call it rare, the reason is that 'radio ready'. So much of that involves minimalizing the talents.

Think about this. Curtis Mayfield was a lush producer. So many layers in his production style. Shit'd be too much today. TOO MUCH!!

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

double 0
7007 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 06:45 PM

19. "RE: At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too"
In response to Reply # 18

>
>No doubt there wasn't a tenth of the monetary potential there
>is now back then, but for all the shiny dress up my beat so it
>sounds like something Justin Beiber could rock to, hip-hop as
>a sound was better then. All of the mistakes and dirty eq's
>gave each track its own character and that character defined.
>

Yea I feel you. TBH I blame it on Dre... lol.. by remakin the samples everything was clean and loud. It immediately sounded polished and "BIG". the harmonics that happen between multiple different samples is/was awesome. But look at it like this. Just for that 1 sample I talked about above for Freeway.. they took 60% of the publishing. Who do you think go 0? Cats cannot afford to constantly do that when publishing is the real money game.

>>IMO I am glad the days of the "ghost producer" are dead.
>Even
>>if it means that 4 people are credited. If you have the
>>hustle the credits can lead to a pub deal and more work..
>
>Thing is sometimes you didn't want the credit, just the check.
> Ghostin was a way to get a new piece of gear. You didn't
>necessarily want your name attached to it though.

Correct. But you have the option now.. lol

>
>>Every big producer has had or is a team.. Quincy, Dre, Bomb
>>Squad, Timbo, Neptunes, Darkchild, Swizz, Dr Luke.. etc.. so
>>mike will, hit boy or mustard having their own teams is not
>>anything new.
>
>That's confusing the issue though. It's not about having a
>team. I had a team, we all worked together. We all held our
>own. We could go to each other for opinions and help outs.
>But we'd never turn our shit over to the next man to finish.
>Everyone took ownership of their own shit. People played on
>other folk shit. Call up the cat with key chops to finesse
>the chords or whatever. It was still yours.

I am talkin about a successful business as a producer. Dr Luke can churn out multiple number 1's in a calender year. He can ONLY do that because he has partners and underlings to even out the load. He can still steer the ideas to success but he doesnt have to start each one.

>
>>Also man.. how rare is it to find a multi-instrumentalist..
>>who can chop the shit out of a sample.. have crazy drums AND
>>make radio ready records? That shit is so rare I can't even
>>name one person... Maybe Chad from Neptunes.. even then his
>>song structures needed Pharrell to organize and write to...
>
>
>DJ Quik.

Yep definitely another one. He still had a team too.

>
>But sure you want to call it rare, the reason is that 'radio
>ready'. So much of that involves minimalizing the talents.
>
>Think about this. Curtis Mayfield was a lush producer. So
>many layers in his production style. Shit'd be too much
>today. TOO MUCH!!
>

Well. Every time I sit with the old heads I always ask them how in the hell they did it. I mean they had 100 piece string sections on a 5 minute song. We just can't afford that shit now.

But to flip it.. back then. There would be a cat who JUST wrote the melody, then another cat or team who JUST wrote words.. Then someone who arranged.. then a "producer"... then the band, engineer etc...

>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 06:35 PM

23. "RE: At one point pandering to radio was anti-hip-hop too"
In response to Reply # 19

>>>Also man.. how rare is it to find a multi-instrumentalist..
>>>who can chop the shit out of a sample.. have crazy drums
>AND
>>>make radio ready records? That shit is so rare I can't
>even
>>>name one person... Maybe Chad from Neptunes.. even then his
>>>song structures needed Pharrell to organize and write to...
>
>>
>>
>>DJ Quik.
>
>Yep definitely another one. He still had a team too.
>
>>

I've heard that too. I was reading an interview with Mel-man, I think, and he basically said that Rob Bacon helped Quik out a lot mores than with just guitar parts, as did Warryn Campbell and Keith Crouch.

I think Quik comes from the ole school of not crediting fully and rode that to the tune of being crowned rap's one man band.

>>But sure you want to call it rare, the reason is that 'radio
>>ready'. So much of that involves minimalizing the talents.
>
>>
>>Think about this. Curtis Mayfield was a lush producer. So
>>many layers in his production style. Shit'd be too much
>>today. TOO MUCH!!
>>
>
>Well. Every time I sit with the old heads I always ask them
>how in the hell they did it. I mean they had 100 piece string
>sections on a 5 minute song. We just can't afford that shit
>now.
>
>But to flip it.. back then. There would be a cat who JUST
>wrote the melody, then another cat or team who JUST wrote
>words.. Then someone who arranged.. then a "producer"... then
>the band, engineer etc...

Once again, a team.

I. Motion
836 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 08:08 PM

14. "Alot heads really got shit twisted."
In response to Reply # 0

This is why I feel hip hop/rap music fell off. The focus has been taken off the MC/rapper and put on the music instead. Now you know I'm crazy for an ill beat but...........seriously when has hip hop music actually been about the actual original music?

I mean.....sure we all call it hip hop music. But in actuality its RAP music. Meaning the rapping is what separates it from any other genre of music. Not the "music" it self or how it was made......feel me?

The job of a hip hop/rap music producer/beatmaker is to come up with instrumental for the rapper/MC to shine over....not the producer/beatmaker necessarily.

Like you said....So what a nigga can come up with an original musical piece? That shit don't mean nothing if a MC can't rhyme to it does it? I like alot of instrumental hip hop music.....but I'll bet just like yourself 95% of my hip hop music collection has someone rapping!

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 06:30 AM

16. "It's kind of just a role reversal back to its origins."
In response to Reply # 14

>This is why I feel hip hop/rap music fell off. The focus has
>been taken off the MC/rapper and put on the music instead. Now
>you know I'm crazy for an ill beat but...........seriously
>when has hip hop music actually been about the actual original
>music?

This is how rap kind of started. Back in the day at the park jams, the emcee really just got on the mic to bring attention to the DJ.

>I mean.....sure we all call it hip hop music. But in
>actuality its RAP music. Meaning the rapping is what separates
>it from any other genre of music. Not the "music" it self or
>how it was made......feel me?

Things did get to that after the emcee started to take the forefront and shine away from the DJ.

>The job of a hip hop/rap music producer/beatmaker is to come
>up with instrumental for the rapper/MC to shine over....not
>the producer/beatmaker necessarily.

I "kind of" feel you, but, tell me you haven't bought an album because of who was on the beats? I remember, if a track had a Primo or Pete Rock remix on the listing, i was DEFINITELY buying it.

>Like you said....So what a nigga can come up with an original
>musical piece? That shit don't mean nothing if a MC can't
>rhyme to it does it? I like alot of instrumental hip hop
>music.....but I'll bet just like yourself 95% of my hip hop
>music collection has someone rapping!

Most of my collection ALSO contains rapping, but, since the day of the Bling47 Dilla instrumental series, most of my time is spent either listening to instrumental hip hop or searching for instrumentals of certain tracks. I used to go HARD for the J. Armz instrumental mixtapes.

But, I think that habit tends to be exhibited from cats who are producers themselves because we can appreciate the intricacies of a great beat.

For example, I would LOVE to get an instrumental collection of some of Timbaland's non-single tracks from back in the day. Shit, I'd love instrumentals for his Timbaland and Magoo albums and the one's he did for Missy. He was doing some crazy stuff with drum programming that TO THIS DAY I still can't fully wrap my head around HOW he did it.

I. Motion
836 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 09:33 PM

21. "To me a great hip hop/rap producer"
In response to Reply # 16

is one who can constantly make the MC look good! That's why DJ Premier is the G.O.A.T. hip hop producer to me .

Dude 9 times out of 10 he will construct his music so that the MC is the star of the show.

It just happens that the beats are usually dope and ill

>>This is why I feel hip hop/rap music fell off. The focus
>has
>>been taken off the MC/rapper and put on the music instead.
>Now
>>you know I'm crazy for an ill beat but...........seriously
>>when has hip hop music actually been about the actual
>original
>>music?
>
>This is how rap kind of started. Back in the day at the park
>jams, the emcee really just got on the mic to bring attention
>to the DJ.
>
>>I mean.....sure we all call it hip hop music. But in
>>actuality its RAP music. Meaning the rapping is what
>separates
>>it from any other genre of music. Not the "music" it self
>or
>>how it was made......feel me?
>
>Things did get to that after the emcee started to take the
>forefront and shine away from the DJ.
>
>>The job of a hip hop/rap music producer/beatmaker is to
>come
>>up with instrumental for the rapper/MC to shine over....not
>>the producer/beatmaker necessarily.
>
>I "kind of" feel you, but, tell me you haven't bought an album
>because of who was on the beats? I remember, if a track had a
>Primo or Pete Rock remix on the listing, i was DEFINITELY
>buying it.
>
>>Like you said....So what a nigga can come up with an
>original
>>musical piece? That shit don't mean nothing if a MC can't
>>rhyme to it does it? I like alot of instrumental hip hop
>>music.....but I'll bet just like yourself 95% of my hip hop
>>music collection has someone rapping!
>
>Most of my collection ALSO contains rapping, but, since the
>day of the Bling47 Dilla instrumental series, most of my time
>is spent either listening to instrumental hip hop or searching
>for instrumentals of certain tracks. I used to go HARD for
>the J. Armz instrumental mixtapes.
>
>But, I think that habit tends to be exhibited from cats who
>are producers themselves because we can appreciate the
>intricacies of a great beat.
>
>For example, I would LOVE to get an instrumental collection of
>some of Timbaland's non-single tracks from back in the day.
>Shit, I'd love instrumentals for his Timbaland and Magoo
>albums and the one's he did for Missy. He was doing some
>crazy stuff with drum programming that TO THIS DAY I still
>can't fully wrap my head around HOW he did it.

third_i_vision
Charter member
7818 posts
Thu Mar-06-14 07:03 PM

20. "When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus..."
In response to Reply # 0

how can you not laugh?

Miss me with the "vision" and "radio-ready" shit. And if you want to stick to your guns on that, don't ever try to compare Kanye West (or any other hands-off producer) to the likes of Dilla, Pete, Premier, etc. Not hating anyone's opinion here, but we're obviously talking about two different types of rap production.

Oh and let me throw in Large Pro and Pete Rock's "The Rap World" for good measure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTPeEmieNE

Bowls
http://twitter.com/Bowls615

Remedial
Charter member
6459 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 06:39 PM

24. "RE: When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus..."
In response to Reply # 20

>how can you not laugh?
>
>Miss me with the "vision" and "radio-ready" shit. And if you
>want to stick to your guns on that, don't ever try to compare
>Kanye West (or any other hands-off producer) to the likes of
>Dilla, Pete, Premier, etc. Not hating anyone's opinion here,
>but we're obviously talking about two different types of rap
>production.
>
>Oh and let me throw in Large Pro and Pete Rock's "The Rap
>World" for good measure:
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTPeEmieNE

I actually think that, although that track isn't all that expansive, it doesn't sound like anything either of them would have made by himself. To me, that track still sounds fresh and would kill a lot of stuff on the underground today.

A collabo album by those two would have been major. And, not on some Jaylib shit, with either producer rocking over the other's beats. I want both pair of hands to touch EVERY beat.

double 0
7007 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 08:21 PM

25. "RE: When it takes 6-7 dudes to create beats for Yeezus..."

Those cats came up during a great time... where that was a necessity.. they paved the way for a lot...

Hip hop really created the producer as we know it now... but

Ye will be remembered by the (music) world.. for a long time.. I hope those other names can stay relevant in Hip Hop another 10-15 years

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

I. Motion
836 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 11:38 PM

27. "Ye will be remembered....."
In response to Reply # 25

for being "Ye"

His personality and "character" have taken president over his music

double 0
7007 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 11:49 PM

28. "RE: Ye will be remembered....."
In response to Reply # 27

He's shifted the culture twice (musically) in only 10 years..

I don't think it's just about the personality..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

I. Motion
836 posts
Sat Mar-08-14 11:11 PM

26. "Straight like That!"

Lobby The Lesson topic #2873611 Previous topic | Next topic