Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2873412

Subject: "New Coldplay aka The band it's cool to hate on (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 10:47 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Coldplay aka The band it's cool to hate on (link)"

Midnight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BQeMxWjpr-Y

Magic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1PvBc2TOpE4

Ghost Stories is out 5/19 via Parlophone

Track list

01 “Always In My Head”
02 “Magic”
03 “Ink”
04 “True Love”
05 “Midnight”
06 “Another’s Arms”
07 “Oceans”
08 “A Sky Full Of Stars”
09 “O”

Album Cover: http://cdn.stereogum.com/files/2014/03/Coldplay-Ghost-Stories.jpg

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
niggas be sleepin coldplay done had some bonafide hits
Mar 03rd 2014
their first lp + warning signs(off their 2nd) = their best
Mar 03rd 2014
      That whole second album was dope.
Mar 04th 2014
I'm not mad at Magic
Mar 03rd 2014
joint is ill
Mar 04th 2014
I really want to hate this band..
Mar 03rd 2014
AYO SON!! Fuck that band, this post, and the passive ass poster
Mar 03rd 2014
^^yup^^
Mar 04th 2014
but that was kind of a lot of passion and typing for non-hate boredom
Mar 04th 2014
      Jon.... hey Jon.... how ya doing Jon....
Mar 04th 2014
they're cool
Mar 03rd 2014
I mostly just check for them now to see if they're back in form.
Mar 04th 2014
As imsvpl said before....
Mar 04th 2014
RE: As imsvpl said before....
Mar 04th 2014
that right there is one of my pet peeves when it comes to criticism
Mar 04th 2014
      I don't understand.....
Mar 04th 2014
           i was going off your own comments
Mar 04th 2014
                Coldplay are always trying to be profound.
Mar 04th 2014
music is never popular because it's good
Mar 04th 2014
      I get what you're saying, but...
Mar 04th 2014
           This reply completely changed my mind about Coldplay
Mar 04th 2014
                lol... u got jokes fam
Mar 05th 2014
Know why they deserve props?
Mar 04th 2014
I'm not a big Coldplay fan, but I agree the hate obnoxious
Mar 04th 2014
I can see that.....
Mar 04th 2014
RE: 'A Sky Full of Stars' is wretched.
Jul 11th 2014

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10170 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 11:34 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "niggas be sleepin coldplay done had some bonafide hits"
In response to Reply # 0

boyd
Member since May 15th 2006
7654 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 02:33 PM

2. "their first lp + warning signs(off their 2nd) = their best"
In response to Reply # 1

>

Clarence Clarke
Member since Dec 14th 2013
1295 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 04:51 AM

8. "That whole second album was dope."
In response to Reply # 2
Tue Mar-04-14 04:56 AM by Clarence Clarke

I actually call it their last truly great one.
"Amsterdam"... good lawd

The fall-off started with X&Y and them recycling "Clocks" for "Speed of Sound"

+
+
+
+
+
Everything's turning out perfectly

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 03:39 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "I'm not mad at Magic "
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 04:55 AM

9. "joint is ill"
In response to Reply # 3

+
+
+
+
+

jswerve386
Member since Jun 25th 2007
8979 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 04:01 PM

4. "I really want to hate this band.. "
In response to Reply # 0

but the fact is they make pretty damn good music for the most part.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 05:04 PM

5. "AYO SON!! Fuck that band, this post, and the passive ass poster"
In response to Reply # 0

You like them pussy motherfuckers good for fucking you. There's at least a few million motherfuckers in the world just like you going to by candles for that midnight vigil outside of best buy to go cop this piece of crap the day it comes out. I'm sure you could google your way into one of those using something like 'coldplay is better than jesus' or some shit.

But hiding behind some 'it's cool to hate them' which implicitly means they don't really deserve hate, in here, the lesson.... that's some ol bullshit dun.

Even more people don't hate Coldplay they just think the music is limp and lifeless. What they hate is the fact that this limp and lifeless shit gets treated like it's the second coming, forcing everyone to endure another cycle of OMG COLDPLAY every time a new album drops. So thanks for giving the heads up on when to prepare for that.

As for the music, nope I didn't listen cause I'm not interested, and you gave absolutely no indicatiion of jack shit except that if I didn't like them before I'm cool cause I'm a hater. Did they suddenly stop playing limp and lifeless? Are they emoting something that doesn't feel like the end credit music for some WB show about a down and out girl in some rich beach town? If not I'll just wait to unaviodably hear it a million times over this summer thank you very much.

And for the record I thought "Yellow" was a great song for the way it seemingly parodied if U2 met Oasis. Then they took themselves serious.

Also don't mind me I've been bedridden with the flu for four days, it's really not that serious.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 04:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "^^yup^^"
In response to Reply # 5

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 08:33 PM

15. "but that was kind of a lot of passion and typing for non-hate boredom"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Mar-04-14 08:36 PM by Jon

obviously its more than you just being uninterested, cuz that shit read rather firey

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:30 PM

23. "Jon.... hey Jon.... how ya doing Jon...."
In response to Reply # 15

DON'T PLAY DUMB JON!!!

you know who the fuck i am and how the fuck i post.

and if you use that head of yours Jon you'd realize that the real subject of my reply was the baiting of the subject line in the OP. all the rest was window dressing.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

stone_phalanges
Member since Mar 06th 2010
1825 posts
Mon Mar-03-14 11:48 PM

6. "they're cool"
In response to Reply # 0

I just didn't enjoy the last album very much.

www.anwarmorse.com
https://www.instagram.com/thereal_anwarmorse99/

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 05:03 AM

10. "I mostly just check for them now to see if they're back in form."
In response to Reply # 0

Like I mentioned earlier in the post, they fall-off started with X&Y

Viva La Vida had a few ok songs but nothing with the magic they had on
"The Blue Room EP", "Parachutes", and "A Rush of Blood..."
They also had some awesome floater tracks from the Blue Room era.

People saying they NEVER had any good music just don't like them as a band,
and that's ok, but it's not because they aren't good composers... it's mostly
just the popularity hatred angle that's cool with alotta people today. That whole
if-it's-popular-it-must-be-garbage mentality. Well, some music is popular because
it's just that good. I think their earlier music fit that bill. Now their last 3 albums?
Ok I understand the criticism of those. Stuff like this "Midnight" track sounds
like something that way beneath the band who made those first 2 albums.
"Magic" is cool tho.

+
+
+
+
+

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 08:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "As imsvpl said before...."
In response to Reply # 10
Tue Mar-04-14 08:21 AM by denny

Just consider the lyrics to 'The Scientist'. First time I heard that song I couldn't stop laughing for 15 minutes. Yes...the successful mathematics wizard who forgot about 'love'. It's not that I expect a rock band's lyrics to be profound....but when they TRY and fail miserably....that's when it's an issue.

Music for bed-wetters indeed. I'm not saying that to be cool. They are an insufferable arena rock band that people see through. An amalgamation of influences with zero genuine artistry.

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:14 AM

12. "RE: As imsvpl said before...."
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Mar-04-14 11:15 AM by Clarence Clarke

I thought the scientist worked great as a song.
I didn't feel like they were trying too hard either... just really good at conveying emotion.
Different strokes.

I don't really know what to say about your other criticisms. I think people just
take to their music because it captures certain emotions very well (the earlier
music for me)... that and Chris Martin has a good voice.
It's like, at the end of the day, an artist can be an amalgamation of this or that,
but the most important thing is whether or not their music is good, connects
with people, etc.

+
+
+
+
+

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 09:20 PM

16. "that right there is one of my pet peeves when it comes to criticism"
In response to Reply # 11

You do something from a place of inspiration that happens to be a bit atypical or "outside the box" and immediately cats start making accusations that you're trying too hard to be profound and failing at it because you're not profound enough for their profundity standards, nor is it as unique as they imagine you imagine yourself to be, and they'd respect you more if you just stayed in some total rehash cliche lane, because then you'd at least be honest...because that's who you really are to them. Stop trying. Embrace insignificance as they have. Being inspired is not for you. Stop it.

and, mind you, i'm not even a Cold Play head like that (without reading this thread, i'd forgotten the names of some of the only songs i even know of), but i can't stand the whole snickering-down-your-nose at people who try some shit just because its not the next LOTR or Kind of Blue.

You're not Cohen, you're definitely not Coltrane, stfu and rap about bitches.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 09:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "I don't understand....."
In response to Reply # 16

What's 'outside the box' about scientist? It's completely typical. I don't see how they're taking a risk with that song regardless of whether it's good or bad. The new song posted above I could see as an example of them trying to do something 'outside the box'...and I like it more than their usual stuff.

Scientist is just a really bad lyric. Sounds like an 9th grader's poetry. The man who spent his whole life doing math and science....BUT HE FORGOT ABOUT LOVE! All the logic and rationale in the world couldn't fix his broken heart!

To each his own and all that....but that's just such a juvenile lyric to me. He's a horrible writer. Cringe-worthy coffee-mug adages and empty self-help/motivational messages.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 10:46 PM

20. "i was going off your own comments"
In response to Reply # 18

i haven't heard the song (i don't follow Coldplay), but it was you who said "to be profound....but when they TRY and fail miserably"

so they either tried to be profound, or did something just interesting or unique enough where you thought they were actually trying to be profound, because if it was just another blah-blah-blah song, you wouldn't be annoyed that they tried.

>Scientist is just a really bad lyric. Sounds like an 9th
>grader's poetry. The man who spent his whole life doing math
>and science....BUT HE FORGOT ABOUT LOVE! All the logic and
>rationale in the world couldn't fix his broken heart!
:
See, you say its bad lyricism and 9th-grader poetry, but you only bring up the concept. So I have to assume that the thing that really irks you isn't the lyricism but the concept itself -- that its a sappy story that has been told a thousand times throughout the ages. I see that as a timeless human experience presented in a less ordinary framework, the way many wonderful tales that touch human beings have been written.

I don't hear many radio songs telling a story about the emotional deprivation of an obsessive scientist.

The way you describe it, I might want to hear this song. Sounds like it could be good.

>To each his own and all that....but that's just such a
>juvenile lyric to me.
:
by "juvenile lyric" it seems you mean "juvenile concept" ...where would we be if we lost all the classic stories throughout history that someone somewhere would have called childish?

>He's a horrible writer. Cringe-worthy
>coffee-mug adages and empty self-help/motivational messages.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:10 PM

22. "Coldplay are always trying to be profound."
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Mar-04-14 11:17 PM by denny

That's their thing. They try to be empowering and motivational and inspirational. They make anthems. I like some anthem-oriented groups. But Coldplay miss me cause the lyrics are basically the equivalent to those stupid facebook inspirational quotes everyone posts over the backdrop of a sunset. It's hallmark card cliches. When the cymbals inevitably crash in at the 3 minute mark of a typical Coldplay song you're supposed to get climatic goosebumps and I'm sure that's why their fans like them. For me it just never works. No goosebumps, just eye rolls.

And this?

"by "juvenile lyric" it seems you mean "juvenile concept" ...where would we be if we lost all the classic stories throughout history that someone somewhere would have called childish?"

What are you talking about man? I'm chuckling over here.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18123 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 07:44 PM

14. "music is never popular because it's good"
In response to Reply # 10

it's popular because it's promoted well
sure good music is popular sometimes, but rarely does that have anything to do with it

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 10:17 PM

19. "I get what you're saying, but..."
In response to Reply # 14

Coldplay became a beloved band even among alotta Hip Hop artists.
That never happened with say,... Nickelback or Pearl Jam for instance.
There weren't marketed to Hip Hop artists. And then people were accusing
Hip Hop artists of mentioning them in interviews to look cool. Why did that
never happen with any other rock band? I don't even know if it happened
with Radiohead so much. They just had a certain kind of appeal that crossed
boundaries. The music wasn't only good but good to many different types of listeners.

+
+
+
+
+

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 11:31 PM

24. "This reply completely changed my mind about Coldplay"
In response to Reply # 19

>Coldplay became a beloved band even among alotta Hip Hop
>artists.
>That never happened with say,... Nickelback or Pearl Jam for
>instance.
>There weren't marketed to Hip Hop artists. And then people
>were accusing
>Hip Hop artists of mentioning them in interviews to look cool.
> Why did that
>never happen with any other rock band? I don't even know if
>it happened
>with Radiohead so much. They just had a certain kind of
>appeal that crossed
>boundaries. The music wasn't only good but good to many
>different types of listeners.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Wed Mar-05-14 01:56 AM

25. "lol... u got jokes fam"
In response to Reply # 24

+
+
+
+
+

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6741 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 01:05 PM

13. "Know why they deserve props?"
In response to Reply # 0

Because they rocked the hell out of that Peter Pan trailer. I'll always have a soft spot for that song, which I believe is called the "Peter Pan Trailer Song"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TongJJMgBeY

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 09:41 PM

17. "I'm not a big Coldplay fan, but I agree the hate obnoxious"
In response to Reply # 0

I find I'll enjoy a song of theirs when I first hear it (you can be a globe-trotting food critic and still enjoy your neighbor's "famous" fruit salad)

Their hits tend to get played to death, which contributes to the aggitation people who don't like them feel, and I get that.

But anytime a famous artist becomes the go-to trashing-target for everyone to establish their baseline credibility in creative circles, the repetitive birdcall starts coming off mad contrived after a while.

denny
11281 posts
Tue Mar-04-14 10:56 PM

21. "I can see that....."
In response to Reply # 17
Tue Mar-04-14 11:13 PM by denny

There are acts that seem to have that 'line-in-the-sand' thing where people are establishing their own identity by espousing an opinion. Drake is a good example. All the 'real' hip hop guys at my work constantly make derogatory facebook posts about him...and it's pretty easy to see that their hate for Drake is some sort of proof that they like 'real hip hop' or something along those lines.

Trying to think of other artists like that....people like to hate the beatles in what seems like an effort to be special sometimes. I remember my daughter used to go out of her way to make sure everyone knew she didn't like Justin Beiber. One day I noticed that she was being kinda secretive about what she was watching on the computer. After she went to bed I checked the history and sure enough....BEIBER VIDEOS. I decided to let that one slide without teasing her about it....Awwwwww, her first guilty pleasure.

I can remember doing that with George Michael when I was a kid. I had a secret copy of 'Faith' under my bed where none of my friends would see it and subsequently beat me up. Can still remember listening to 'Father Figure' with headphones hoping my brother couldn't hear on the other side of the room.

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Jul-11-14 07:43 PM

26. "RE: 'A Sky Full of Stars' is wretched."
In response to Reply # 0

But the rest of the album is actually quite good. I hated Mylo Xyloto and thought Viva la Vida was boring. But this is certainly their most interesting album since X+Y. If 'Midnight' were by anyone other than Coldplay, a lot more people would like it. The bonus tracks on the deluxe edition are great as well (which begs the question: why was the title track left off the proper version?).

It's certainly not going to change anyone's mind about them at this point, but there are small nuances that make a difference.

**shrug**

I like it.

``they asked me what the meek would get. picture me: afraid to answer.``

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2014/193910

Lobby The Lesson topic #2873412 Previous topic | Next topic