Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2871579

Subject: "De La Soul Is Dead, cassette vs. CD...addition by subtraction" Previous topic | Next topic
philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 03:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"De La Soul Is Dead, cassette vs. CD...addition by subtraction"

the cassette version was better is what im saying

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm a big fan of "My Brother's a Basehead"
Feb 20th 2014
Basehead is definitely a must have
Feb 20th 2014
Hip-House was supremely wack, so I enjoy "Kicked Out..."
Feb 20th 2014
no doubt, i look at them as a package deal...
Feb 20th 2014
I always loved "Johnny's dead"
Feb 20th 2014
RE: I'm a big fan of "My Brother's a Basehead"
Feb 21st 2014
i dunno why
Feb 20th 2014
this post just reminded me that DLSID was my first CD.
Feb 20th 2014
Well, I have the vinyl-release on the scandinavian Mega records...
Feb 20th 2014
I can't listen to it.
Feb 20th 2014
RE: OOOOOWWWWAAAAAUUUUWWWOOOOOAAUUUWWWW
Feb 20th 2014
sadly, tape loses this one...
Feb 20th 2014
to CD or LP?
Feb 20th 2014
      the CD since it's not missing songs
Feb 21st 2014
I had NO idea those cuts weren't on the tape.
Feb 21st 2014

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 03:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I'm a big fan of "My Brother's a Basehead""
In response to Reply # 0

And "Kicked Out the House" was funny. However, the album did not need "Johny's Dead" and "Who Do U Worship?"

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Mageddon
Charter member
4018 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Basehead is definitely a must have"
In response to Reply # 1

of the other three you listed, I think I like Who Do You Worship the most? It's chuckle worthy.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 04:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Hip-House was supremely wack, so I enjoy "Kicked Out...""
In response to Reply # 2

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

philpot
21673 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 04:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "no doubt, i look at them as a package deal..."
In response to Reply # 1

& id do w/o Basehead to have the others gone

then again mp3s make this all pointless lol

zuma1986
Member since Dec 18th 2006
9085 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 10:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "I always loved "Johnny's dead""
In response to Reply # 1

I don't know why but always sing along and loved the the fake passion.

"Kicked out of the house" is the only one of the ones listed that I tend to skip.

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Fri Feb-21-14 02:57 PM

15. "RE: I'm a big fan of "My Brother's a Basehead""
In response to Reply # 1

Who do you worship had me and my friend literally rewinding over and over and over for the "ahhhhhh" in the beginning and laughing like school girls.

quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 04:12 PM

4. "i dunno why"
In response to Reply # 0

i find johnnys dead incredibly annoying but i just cant see listening to the album without it

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 05:14 PM

6. "this post just reminded me that DLSID was my first CD."
In response to Reply # 0

i NEEDED those extra tracks, jack.

i like all them shits.

i've been listening to a lot of De La lately (to make up for the fact that i didn't get to go to see them at the Dilla Day joint). listening to Stakes Is High right now...

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 05:17 PM

7. "Well, I have the vinyl-release on the scandinavian Mega records..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-20-14 05:19 PM by Jakob Hellberg

...so I can't comment on cd vs. cassette. BTW, Mega was an extremely corny euro-dance label that would later unleash the mighty (sarcasm) Ace of Base upon the world. It might seem strange that De La was signed to a label like that but in europe, early de la was viewed as part of the "dance" explosion unlike a lot of other Hip-Hop. Needless to say, this explains the wack dance remixes of their songs that often appeared on the euro 12"s (BTW, did the US 12"s have those shit remixes as well?).

Anyway, I only picked up the cd versions of the first two De La records a couple of years ago cheap as fuck and it was a revelation because the amount of skits and joke-tracks (not to mention low quality due to pressing too much music on a single LP) prevented me from fully enjoying their albums over the years since the replay value of *initially* amusing skits etc. is minimal to me. Now I could just program the songs and rip them and play them on my mp3 while leaving all the "Take it off"-shit behind. Of course, I could have just downloaded it but I kind of like owning good records, I'm a bit old-fashioned that way I guess...

Anyway, the songs missing from *my* vinyl that's on the cd is probably the same as every other version:My brothers a basehead, Afro Connections..., Who do U worship, Kicked out the House and Not over til the fat lady...

Regarding those songs:
Not too fond of mY brothers a basehead even if I like the serious subject combined with the upbeat music; it has a certain early 90's groove I don't think has aged as well as others from that era (BTW, both Swingalokate and Let, let me in suffers from this as well even if I don't think they sound the same. Still, it's a "light", upbeat, dancey groove I'm not too fond of from that time). BTW, was this song released outside of this album, like on a soundtrack or b-side or something because I could have swore I recognized it from before...

Afro-connections... is a jam, one of my favorites...

Who do U worship sounds like it was meant as a parody of "evil" metal or something but instead ends up sounding like Butthole Surfers circa "Locust abortion technician". As such, it is amusing but just like most BHS-stuff from that era, it's not really a substantial piece of music. Amusing filler, not more. Better than many other skits7joke-songs on the record though...

Kicked out the house was obviously meant as a parody of the wack Hip-house trend and as such is amusing and fun to hear... once.

It's not over... Ok, this one is just a waste of time.

Overall, I like Afro-connections so much and My brother is a basehead is nice too even if it, like I said, not really my cup of tea. None of the additional skits are too annoying so I don't really think the album gets worse, I prefer the cd overall...

herbiehowsermc
Member since Mar 26th 2004
1785 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 05:21 PM

8. "I can't listen to it. "
In response to Reply # 0

The cassette was one of the first Hip-Hop albums I ever bought and I didn't hear the CD bonus tracks until really recently when I got the album on MP3. I can't really judge them objectively. I just can't listen to those extra skits when I'm listening to the album. I know the cassette version too well, and it would be too weird to change the sequencing and hear songs/skits that I've only heard once or twice.

I'm sure it must be the exact opposite with people who only know the CD version. But I never fast-forwarded anything on the tape, I'd imagine people skipped tracks on the CD version. (Well it is easier to skip songs on a CD anyway).

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 10:04 PM

9. "RE: OOOOOWWWWAAAAAUUUUWWWOOOOOAAUUUWWWW"
In response to Reply # 0

That's the sound that he made.

``they asked me what the meek would get. picture me: afraid to answer.``

http://austinato.bandcamp.com

http://www.discogs.com/lists/Favorites-of-2014/193910

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 11:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "sadly, tape loses this one..."
In response to Reply # 0

philpot
21673 posts
Thu Feb-20-14 11:16 PM

12. "to CD or LP?"
In response to Reply # 11

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57006 posts
Fri Feb-21-14 02:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "the CD since it's not missing songs"
In response to Reply # 12

bski
Member since Jun 09th 2002
12115 posts
Fri Feb-21-14 01:59 PM

13. "I had NO idea those cuts weren't on the tape."
In response to Reply # 0

De La is dead was one of my first CDs.

http://twitter.com/collazo

Lobby The Lesson topic #2871579 Previous topic | Next topic