Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2871060

Subject: "celebrating 10 years since pete rock's career-ending "soul survivor 2"" Previous topic | Next topic
ted_turnup
Member since Feb 17th 2014
42 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 08:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"celebrating 10 years since pete rock's career-ending "soul survivor 2""
Mon Feb-17-14 08:22 PM by ted_turnup

where were you when you first heard it?
what was the look on your face like? (ex. http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/CornetteFace_4208.jpg)
have you listened to anything off it once in 10 years even by accident?
if you bought a physical copy, were you able to successfully sell it, did you just throw it away?
have you even downloaded another pete rock project since?

you know a producer compilation album is going to be absolute dogshit when you have kardinal official on the lead-off track...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
LMFAOO
Feb 17th 2014
lmao!!
Feb 17th 2014
the albums single: war zone ft. dead prez
Feb 17th 2014
dbl
Feb 17th 2014
Even though you're a bitch ass alias...
Feb 17th 2014
RE: Even though you're a bitch ass alias...
Feb 17th 2014
      I don't convince
Feb 17th 2014
           RE: I don't convince
Feb 17th 2014
Never Thought I Would See A Pete Rock Hater In The Lesson
Feb 17th 2014
RE: celebrating 10 years since pete rock's career-ending "soul survivor ...
Feb 17th 2014
Saw Pete Rock & CL Smooth open for Ghostface around the time it dropped
Feb 18th 2014
Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think
Feb 18th 2014
RE: Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think
Feb 18th 2014
      RE: Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think
Feb 18th 2014
i wonder how the album would have faired if...
Feb 19th 2014
this made me laugh. Bammer just use your reg log in
Feb 19th 2014
they TOS my accounts.
Feb 19th 2014
only problem this album had was it wasn't Soul Survivor
Feb 19th 2014
it is pretty bad
Feb 19th 2014

Phreak
Member since Mar 22nd 2006
1951 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "LMFAOO"
In response to Reply # 0

So fuckin true tho

I. Motion
Member since Jun 17th 2009
836 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "lmao!!"
In response to Reply # 0

he my 2nd fav next to Premo
and I'm hard pressed to defend it

still it had a couple legit bangers

this being the stand out of them all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ED2DNja90

ted_turnup
42 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "the albums single: war zone ft. dead prez"
In response to Reply # 0

the only thing they got right on this one one was the cover art...

http://s.pixogs.com/image/R-255655-1221861396.jpeg

ted_turnup
42 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:55 PM

4. "dbl"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Feb-17-14 09:56 PM by ted_turnup

nm

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:57 PM

5. "Even though you're a bitch ass alias..."
In response to Reply # 0

The album had;

3 "Just Do It" Pete Rock Pharoahe Monch
4 "Give It To Ya" Pete Rock Little Brother
6 "It's A Love Thing" Pete Rock CL Smooth,
8 "Beef" Pete Rock Krumbsnatcha
10 "Head Rush" Pete Rock RZA, GZA
11 "Fly Till I Die" Pete Rock Talib Kweli, CL Smooth
12 "Warzone" Pete Rock Dead Prez
13 "Da Villa" Pete Rock Slum Village
14 "Ni**az Know" Pete Rock J Dilla
15 "Appreciate" Pete Rock CL Smooth

While not his best album by any means...those joints are all legit with a few bangers.

Lol @ listening to It's A Love Thing or Appreciate by accident being a negative.

Also, Marco Polo's Port Authority had Kardinal and that album is ridiculous.

And, Pete just killed the Camp Lo album so lol @ career ending.

ted_turnup
42 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 09:59 PM

6. "RE: Even though you're a bitch ass alias..."
In response to Reply # 5

>The album had;
>
>3 "Just Do It" Pete Rock Pharoahe Monch
>4 "Give It To Ya" Pete Rock Little Brother
>6 "It's A Love Thing" Pete Rock CL Smooth,
>8 "Beef" Pete Rock Krumbsnatcha
>10 "Head Rush" Pete Rock RZA, GZA
>11 "Fly Till I Die" Pete Rock Talib Kweli, CL Smooth
>12 "Warzone" Pete Rock Dead Prez
>13 "Da Villa" Pete Rock Slum Village
>14 "Ni**az Know" Pete Rock J Dilla
>15 "Appreciate" Pete Rock CL Smooth
>
>While not his best album by any means...those joints are all
>legit with a few bangers.

lol.
who are you trying to convince? me or you?

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 10:13 PM

7. "I don't convince"
In response to Reply # 6

djcoutz
Member since Nov 12th 2013
65 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 10:26 PM

8. "RE: I don't convince"
In response to Reply # 7

"head rush" was my shit tho...

soundcloud.com/djcoutz
djcoutzalbums.bandcamp.com
@DJCoutz

Dj Joey Joe
Member since Sep 01st 2007
13770 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 10:30 PM

9. "Never Thought I Would See A Pete Rock Hater In The Lesson"
In response to Reply # 0

So ted did Pete Rock did you wrong by taking your girl at club , sampling the same records you did but did it first and better, getting dj gigs spinning at places you wanted or thought you could get one at , or is it the fact that he just makes beats so dope that you love but feel envious & take it as a personal diss towards your existence?

Why you decided to make a Pete Rock diss post anyway ?

Also for your info, I got "Soul Survivor 2" on cd a week before it came out, bought 2 copies on vinyl and two copies of the instrumentals on vinyl, and I listen to that album at least once every two months, and sometimes listen to "Niggas Know" & "Head Rush" at least once every other week.

https://tinyurl.com/y4ba6hog

---------
"We in here talking about later career Prince records
& your fool ass is cruising around in a time machine
trying to collect props for a couple of sociopathic degenerates" - s.blak

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 10:54 PM

10. "RE: celebrating 10 years since pete rock's career-ending "soul survivor ..."
In response to Reply # 0

the beat on the Kweli joint was fantastic. There's some gems.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 04:12 AM

11. "Saw Pete Rock & CL Smooth open for Ghostface around the time it dropped"
In response to Reply # 0

*Get-a-damn-blog-Bomb!/Official-'I-Killed-The-Editor'-Author-Warning* Allow me to set the scene in extended form.

I've thoroughly enjoyed my first two weeks of twitter but this is still home-base and the place I like to sprawl out a bit so you might as well stop reading now if you ain't into that shit:

It was at The Electric Factory in Philly in '04 sometime between late-winter/early-spring.

Ghostface was still trying to sell that awful Missy single he'd made for his Def Jam debut, The Pretty Tony album.

Okayplayers (self-included) were still trying to pretend that album (grabbed from a link in a Lesson post a month before dropping) was another classic from our hero Ghost.

Bahamadia & some other local cats were earlier on the bill.

Definitely the emptiest I'd seen the venue before.

Could basically walk up to the front left or right of the stage or the catwalk thing they had in the center stage area that I'd never seen before or since, much like the group that was promoting the show who I never had heard before or since (although I left Philly for L.A. in late fall so maybe they're still popping back there but I'd bet a month's salary they aren't).

Saw my dude who graduated high-school with my younger sis (then later from NYU film school) was shooting the whole show from the stage his self but then intermittently actually walking onstage during songs for shots like he was one of the 35 mm cameras Scorsese's crew was operating on "The Last Waltz" rather than a college-age kid pacing onstage mid-performance with a hand-held/side-mic set-up taking close-ups of Cappadonna's chain with the mini-revolver as he spit 'Slang Editorial'.

Pete Rock was of course up on the decks at the DJ platform during their set.

CL Smooth, looking like your average Long Island Met fan at Shea in August- slightly soused/surly, sweating profusely in his baggy gray t-shirt/headband/jorts outfit-worked the catwalk.

Corey Penn Sr. was repeatedly telling the crowd between each song that they were legends but then moments later asking for a show of hands to see who if anyone in the audience had ever heard of them at all but still keeping the kind of self-assured/aggressive tone you need to 'go to the toughest barbershops in town' where fools get 'shot in the barber's chair': http://www.411mania.com/music/columns/100567

Having nothing as a group to plug plus CL seemingly not busy working on solo work possibly due to his woman holding him down so impeccably he didn't need to so, it was up to Pete Rock at some point during a break in the action held up a copy of the 'Soul Survivor 2' album he started by encouraging the crowd (with a syllabically declining degree of bass in his voice) to 'Go Cop The Album, It's The Best Of What's Out There!'.

However Pete seemingly grew less convinced over the course of that 12-word endorsement then went from looking out at the crowd to looking directly down at his decks/crates while placing the album sleeve down.

He then said into his mic in a trailing off tone I likely only heard due to the lack of noise in the 1/4 capacity spot along with my closeness to both the stage/left-side speakers '...because there's nothing out there' as a sort of defeated qualifier he himself didn't even fully believe.

Heard/read a couple other interviews with Pete while promoting SS2 claiming it was his 'best album yet' but I'm pretty sure I recently heard him disavow it altogether and naming it as as his catalog's biggest eyesore when on Tony Touch's Shade45 show w/Camp-Lo supporting the 100 Blocks From Tiffany's project last year.

Sometime around that '04 Philly show during the brief time SS2 was getting retail promo, listened to it front-to-back (or at least, up until getting the full idea of a song & not caring to continue) on a pair of those cord-and-over-ear-shell headphones at a Tower Records Listening Station display before moving on to hear a bit of the Afrobatik album the next booth over.

I ended up deciding to save my money that day, don't think I've heard it since and definitely don't remember a song title or a lyric besides CL stating 'it's the best to ever do it on a Pete Rock track' rapped in a butter-smooth-tone that belied the 'MAKE MY BEATS, FAGGOT!' type of decrees he might deploy during conversation.

However this post's anniversary tone reminded me of that half-hearted sell job that evening ten years ago by Soul Brother #1, an awkward eyewitness account during what was already becoming an awkward year or two (04/05) for NY/East-Coast hip-hop as a whole.

JAESCOTT777
Member since Feb 18th 2006
28487 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 07:47 AM

12. "Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think "
In response to Reply # 11

It was complete trash
Then I realized I was thinking of NY's finest

Yeah it was terrible
I really wish cats would stop part 2's all together

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 07:34 PM

13. "RE: Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think "
In response to Reply # 12

>It was complete trash
>Then I realized I was thinking of NY's finest
>
>Yeah it was terrible
to be honest I don't even feel qualified to say it was terrible, since I don't recall anything about it besides the story I shared above.

>I really wish cats would stop part 2's all together
>
this is probably true, I'm sort of scared for the arrival of 'Muddy Waters 2' but since Reggie Noble hasn't made a good album this century after starting his career off with four straight in the decade prior, I guess it can't really make it worse.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 08:52 PM

14. "RE: Lmao good shit I was about to say I didn't think "
In response to Reply # 13

>>It was complete trash
>>Then I realized I was thinking of NY's finest
>>
>>Yeah it was terrible
>to be honest I don't even feel qualified to say it was
>terrible, since I don't recall anything about it besides the
>story I shared above.
>

I'm a huge Petw Rock guy and I don't know the last time I listened to SS2. But with that said, it isn't terrible. The tracks I posted above are good and there are a few bangers. However, I just rather listen to my other PR joints.

>>I really wish cats would stop part 2's all together
>>
>this is probably true, I'm sort of scared for the arrival of
>'Muddy Waters 2' but since Reggie Noble hasn't made a good
>album this century after starting his career off with four
>straight in the decade prior, I guess it can't really make it
>worse.

Yea that Red album will not be good. I am holding out hope for Doe or Die 2 though. Shit better be banging with the amount of time he's taking. We Moving and I Excel show promise and I he really does have Pete Rock, Primo and Buckwild joints on deck than it could be dope.

ted_turnup
42 posts
Wed Feb-19-14 09:12 PM

15. "i wonder how the album would have faired if..."
In response to Reply # 11

it had been a pete rock & cl smooth 10 year comeback album instead of an awful compilation follow-up to a great first solo lp.

i've always argued that petestrumentals could have been easily one of the best comeback albums of all-time if cl had just rapped on every track.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Feb-19-14 09:21 PM

16. "this made me laugh. Bammer just use your reg log in"
In response to Reply # 0

your tone and style is so undeniably yours. there's no hiding it

ted_turnup
42 posts
Wed Feb-19-14 09:25 PM

17. "they TOS my accounts."
In response to Reply # 16

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Feb-19-14 09:46 PM

18. "only problem this album had was it wasn't Soul Survivor"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Feb-19-14 09:50 PM by Garhart Poppwell

there's a few songs on there that don't hold my attention but Pete did his thing on the beats, that bassline on We Good is incredible
I think a lot of the rapping comes off as uninspired to me and it really affects the replay value
but the instrumental version of it is pretty impeccable

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Feb-19-14 09:59 PM

19. "it is pretty bad"
In response to Reply # 0

I dug three tracks though. That Krumbsnatcha joint, the RZA & GZA joint and the Appreciate joint with CL to close the album. Other than that, i needed nodoz to stay awake.

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Lobby The Lesson topic #2871060 Previous topic | Next topic