Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2870874

Subject: "Ever seen a reverse Patty Duke?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 05:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ever seen a reverse Patty Duke?"

White Artist that contributed to or allowed people to think he was black?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gefPJ3unLg

Can you believe I have been searching for this song for years from a faint memory of seeing the video as a kid? Can you imagine how my mind exploded when I Come to find out that the dude's in the video aren't the singers of the song! I know hand me the late pass.

Is there any other example in history of white artist passing off as Black? To the extent of having black singers in the video?!?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

There is no absolute knowledge and anyone who claims it — whether a scientist, a politician or a religious believer — opens the door to

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
this was my ish too. I thought dan hartman was black for years!
Feb 17th 2014
wait, what does Patty Duke have to do with that?
Feb 17th 2014
Tryin' to figure that one out myself.
Feb 17th 2014
RE: wait, what does Patty Duke have to do with that?
Feb 17th 2014
      Yeah, I might have caught the reference had he spelled it "Patti Dooke"
Feb 17th 2014
           Y'all telling on your lack of De La knowledge.
Feb 18th 2014
                nah, I'm revealing the breadth of my pop culture knowledge.
Feb 18th 2014
                     I'm mad, I cam ein here thinking it was about the nick at Night
Feb 18th 2014
his voice had a "white" timbre though
Feb 17th 2014
Yeah, I realize that now.
Feb 17th 2014
      Stop it! It IS a great movie.
Feb 17th 2014
      never seen the whole thing from start to finish
Feb 17th 2014

pops_nice
Member since Apr 13th 2005
1328 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 11:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "this was my ish too. I thought dan hartman was black for years!"
In response to Reply # 0

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 11:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "wait, what does Patty Duke have to do with that?"
In response to Reply # 0

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 12:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Tryin' to figure that one out myself."
In response to Reply # 2

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 05:44 PM

8. "RE: wait, what does Patty Duke have to do with that?"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Feb-17-14 05:44 PM by howardlloyd

de la's song "patti dooke" started with a sample of leon from the five heartbeats saying "u ever seen 5 niggas on elvis presley album cover"….

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 07:25 PM

9. "Yeah, I might have caught the reference had he spelled it "Patti Dooke""
In response to Reply # 8

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49419 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 12:02 PM

10. "Y'all telling on your lack of De La knowledge. "
In response to Reply # 9

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

There is no absolute knowledge and anyone who claims it — whether a scientist, a politician or a religious believer — opens the door to

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 12:07 PM

11. "nah, I'm revealing the breadth of my pop culture knowledge."
In response to Reply # 10

Because Patty Duke is an actual person that I know things about... so when you write "Patty Duke," I think about HER first and foremost. If you write "Patti Dooke," I think about De La....

*shrug*

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 12:26 PM

12. "I'm mad, I cam ein here thinking it was about the nick at Night"
In response to Reply # 11

Pati duke.

She's got this one song "Tell Me Momma" that she did on her TV show that I've been trying to find for ages

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 12:55 PM

4. "his voice had a "white" timbre though"
In response to Reply # 0

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 01:25 PM

5. "Yeah, I realize that now."
In response to Reply # 4
Mon Feb-17-14 01:54 PM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

I didn't quite pay attention to stuff like that when I was a kid, though… I really did think them cats were singing.

(Of course, I initially saw the video independent of the movie and I didn't even realize it was part of a movie… until I noticed one of the cats was Stoney Jackson lol (and Grand L. Bush too)

and then when Hollywood Shuffle came out, I recognized Robert Townsend from that video too (it was YEARS before I saw Streets of Fire)

EDIT: I really, really love Streets of Fire, by the way. Not because I think it's a great movie, but because it's just so quintessentially 80s that when I watch it, I can't help but feel nostalgic--even though I actually watched it in the 90s.

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 05:02 PM

6. "Stop it! It IS a great movie."
In response to Reply # 5

>I really, really love Streets of Fire, by the way. Not
>because I think it's a great movie, but because it's just so
>quintessentially 80s that when I watch it, I can't help but
>feel nostalgic

I don't care what anyone says. Hill made such a lush flick, it's like 50s pulp with a comic book lens. And that soundtrack is fantastic. The Steinman cuts alone are fucking brilliant. And the Blasters!? That HArtman track!? COME ON!!!

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

dafriquan
Charter member
24695 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 05:13 PM

7. "never seen the whole thing from start to finish"
In response to Reply # 5

i'll dl or netflix it this weekend.
>EDIT: I really, really love Streets of Fire, by the way. Not
>because I think it's a great movie, but because it's just so
>quintessentially 80s that when I watch it, I can't help but
>feel nostalgic--even though I actually watched it in the 90s.
i feel nostalgia for shit that happened even before i was even before.
like the 60s and early 70s is my shit...lol

Lobby The Lesson topic #2870874 Previous topic | Next topic