Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2870762

Subject: "Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper" Previous topic | Next topic
Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Sat Feb-15-14 11:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Poll question: Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper"

Which one will be the first to receive undisputed love from hardcore hip hop heads?

I was going to ask who was going to be the first to blow up, although that's kinda unfair since the Gay rapper would pretty much be a shoe in.

Let's make it interesting, who will be the first to make an impact with the "real" hip hop set?

I'm going to put my money on a Christian/Gospel rapper. Malice of The Clipse has been dope for SO long that whenever he actually releases some new stuff it has to be at least PRETTY good.

Poll result (24 votes)
The gay one (11 votes)Vote
the Gospel one (8 votes)Vote
Neither (3 votes)Vote
A gay gospel rapper (2 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper
Feb 16th 2014
I wonder what would happen if Lecrae had a budget?
Feb 16th 2014
He's has some nice production on his Church Clothes projects with DJ Don...
Feb 16th 2014
When I first heard Lecrae, I thought it was regular Trap music, then
Feb 16th 2014
RE: I wonder what would happen if Lecrae had a budget?
Sep 21st 2014
I'd say there are gospel rappers who already do get love from that set.
Feb 16th 2014
Christian guy/gal who raps =/= GOSPEL rapper
Feb 17th 2014
      Definitely the gay one then. You can't say "Jesus" on the radio...
Feb 17th 2014
we already have both
Feb 16th 2014
Oh that's what Malice does now?
Feb 16th 2014
http://www.amazon.com/Hear-Ye-Him-No-Malice/dp/B00EIDXJTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...
Feb 16th 2014
While I'm certainly no expert, I remember...
Feb 17th 2014
Trip is better than Lecrae in my opinion
Feb 17th 2014
Definitely The Gospel Rapper
Feb 17th 2014
Jesus Walks opened the door for 'Christian' rappers....
Feb 18th 2014
LOL
Feb 18th 2014
I can see the Gospel rapper more so than the Gay Rapper
Feb 18th 2014
I can listen to gospel rappers, i can relate to them even tho
Feb 18th 2014
Lecrae - #1 album on Billboard. nm
Sep 19th 2014
Dude is spitting on that "Welcome to America" track.
Sep 19th 2014
He's got skills
Sep 21st 2014
Lecrae just had the #1 album in the country
Sep 21st 2014
Young Thug count?
Sep 21st 2014
If I was Gay, I'd be mad because that dude sucks
Sep 23rd 2014
      In more ways than one *ba doomp tssss*.
Sep 24th 2014
RE: le1f, mykki blanco, big freedia
Sep 21st 2014
RE: Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper
Sep 21st 2014
who does, then?
Sep 24th 2014
      RE: who does, then?
Sep 25th 2014
This post makes me smile.
Sep 22nd 2014
Gay rapper can't possibly be as corny as a Christian rapper
Sep 24th 2014
if the beats and cuts are really dope, and the MC can rhyme well...
Sep 24th 2014
I think that's what separates them though
Sep 25th 2014
      take Al Greens's "jesus is waiting"....
Sep 25th 2014
           Yeah
Sep 25th 2014
this is an idiotic comparison
Sep 24th 2014

djcoutz
Member since Nov 12th 2013
65 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 12:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

young thug?

soundcloud.com/djcoutz
djcoutzalbums.bandcamp.com
@DJCoutz

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 09:36 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I wonder what would happen if Lecrae had a budget?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lacrae is dope, but imagine if he had some Theoloius Martin or Harry Fraud or Alchemist beats. I bet heads would listen to him.

Gay Rapper has no chance, because from what I've seen is a lot of people think if you listen to someone gay, then you gay (i.e. homophobic)....Frank kinda gets a pass, but not with everyone.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Nate Geezie
Member since Feb 07th 2004
13530 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 04:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "He's has some nice production on his Church Clothes projects with DJ Don..."
In response to Reply # 2

9th Wonder, Boi 1da, David Banner...

he's already connected with some heavyweights

I Grew Up On Booty Shake...We Did Not Know No Betta Thangs...

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 05:28 PM

7. "When I first heard Lecrae, I thought it was regular Trap music, then"
In response to Reply # 5

I heard a lyric that was like a strong Biblical reference, and was like wait huh? Then listened 8 more bars n was like wait...this is a Christian song. Then the next song came on and was similar...then I heard Drama or whoever shout him out, and I realized who it was.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23882 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 11:48 AM

25. "RE: I wonder what would happen if Lecrae had a budget?"
In response to Reply # 2

>Frank kinda gets a pass, but not with
>everyone.

I think Frank gets that pass because he hasn't done anything so outwardly gay. The letter caught people off guard, but it's not like he's out here kissing dudes on Rodeo Dr., or dressing like a strong black mother who can do bad all by herself like Magic's son.

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Clarence Clarke
Member since Dec 14th 2013
1295 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 11:01 AM

3. "I'd say there are gospel rappers who already do get love from that set."
In response to Reply # 0

They just don't get bumped religiously (no pun intended).

I mean, Killah Priest had a song called "Bible" and Goodie Mob were openly
God-fearing Christians... as were some other artists. Christianity been accepted
in Hip Hop in a way that homosexuality hasn't.

+
+
+
+
+
Everything's turning out perfectly

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 02:17 AM

9. "Christian guy/gal who raps =/= GOSPEL rapper"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm speaking specificly about a dude rapping about primarily Jesus/religion

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 03:19 AM

10. "Definitely the gay one then. You can't say "Jesus" on the radio..."
In response to Reply # 9

Plus the time of the Christian superstar is done. The Winans were pretty much
the last of that breed... on "urban" radio, at least. Creed otherwise.
Consider the fact that we live in a time where "amorality" is sorta the lifeblood of popular
entertainment and homosexuality is experiencing its entrance into and acceptance
in pop culture. That openly gay rapper is right around the corner.

+
+
+
+
+

beatnik
Member since Oct 24th 2004
2950 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 04:28 PM

4. "we already have both "
In response to Reply # 0

And I think you mean "blow up" as in going platinum and being on the cover of Rollingstone, but we already have both and people really don't care that much lol. if either does blow up it will be off some gimmicky shit though.

PEACE LOVE and MONEY

https://soundcloud.com/dabeatnik/drumpf-beer

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 05:24 PM

6. "Oh that's what Malice does now?"
In response to Reply # 0

Clarence Clarke
1295 posts
Sun Feb-16-14 06:12 PM

8. "http://www.amazon.com/Hear-Ye-Him-No-Malice/dp/B00EIDXJTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=..."
In response to Reply # 6

http://www.amazon.com/Hear-Ye-Him-No-Malice/dp/B00EIDXJTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392592284&sr=8-1&keywords=no+malice+hear+ye+him

+
+
+
+
+

DickGrayson
Member since Sep 25th 2003
537 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 10:59 AM

11. "While I'm certainly no expert, I remember..."
In response to Reply # 0

Trip Lee had one of the top albums that week he released his last one. He and Lecrae seem to have the skills and appeal to crossover as much as they want to.

http://www.examiner.com/article/trip-lee-debuts-2-on-itunes-chart-with-the-good-life

Hip-hop gospel recording artist Trip Lee released his fourth studio album, The Good Life on Tuesday, April 10. After being online and in stores for a day, The Good Life reached #2 on the iTunes Album Charts and #2 on the Hip-Hop Albums charts beating out chart toppers like Nicki Minaj and Drake.

On The Good Life, the lyrical content and unique style challenges listeners' ideologies in an effort to address the culture's mindset. The second single, “I’m Good” featuring Lecrae debuted #18 on iTunes hip-hop charts and #98 on the iTunes mainstream chart.

“I’m really excited with this album as I feel like this is my best work this far,” says Trip Lee. “My fans have really showed me lots of support and I look forward to getting a chance to see every last one of them when I start my tour.”

Lee debuted in 2006 with If They Only Knew. He garnered music success with his sophomore release 20/20 in 2008, which broke into the Billboard Top 200. In 2010, his third release Between Two Worlds hit #5 on iTunes Hip-Hop/Rap chart and #9 on iTunes Top Albums Chart, as well as debuting at #10 on the Billboard Hip Hop/Rap chart.

Nate Geezie
Member since Feb 07th 2004
13530 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 03:02 PM

12. "Trip is better than Lecrae in my opinion"
In response to Reply # 11

But Trip doesn't really have the desire to be a superstar.

He is focused on his new family and his speaking/preaching career and less and less on rapping.

He moved to DC awhile ago and I actually saw him speak, I think he sees that as more of his calling...

Both Trip and Lecrae could rap circles around a lof of mainstream kats tho

I Grew Up On Booty Shake...We Did Not Know No Betta Thangs...

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Mon Feb-17-14 03:46 PM

13. "Definitely The Gospel Rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

As others have already pointed out we have had several rappers who with strong religious ties regardless of denomination. PRT, Brand Nubian, etc all were very successful with overtly religious material. Run DMC were the biggest rappers on the planet and most people knew that Run was a PK and DMC was a Catholic kid who went to St. Johns. KRS-1 had sales success as well as top of the food chain credibility within Hip Hop with records like "Why Is That?", "The Blackman's In Effect" & "Higher Level". Kanye had a huge hit record with "Jesus Walks". Blu started off as a kind of Christian "like" artist and Stalley is a Muslim. If he dropped a hit single nobody would reject him because he's a Muslim. I actually think now would be a great time in terms of marketability for a Gospel rapper to blow up. He or She would be smart not to call themselves a "Gospel", "Christian" or "Muslim" rapper but just present themselves as an artist with positive, uplifting messages for the masses. With there being so little mainstream Hip Hop that people feel promotes positive messages if there was someone with the talent, personality and team behind them to blow up it could be huge because the reality is there are still far more people in the US and worldwide who would support a talented artist who took some type of perceived moral stance over an openly gay (especially male) artist in Hip Hop. I don't know that we will ever see a huge gay Hip Hop artist who is respected within Hip Hop to be honest anymore than I think we'll see a big Reggae or Country artist who is gay.

Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 09:17 AM

14. "Jesus Walks opened the door for 'Christian' rappers...."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 09:33 PM

17. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 14

Hey let's attempt to give Kanye some credit!

Just in case it does happen we can date back to 2004 as the reason why just because of our need to big up Ye for everything hip-hop related.

Alphabet
Member since Jun 28th 2003
4402 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 06:08 PM

15. "I can see the Gospel rapper more so than the Gay Rapper"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-18-14 06:10 PM by Alphabet

because homosexuality is still a bit more taboo than religion in hip-hop.
Of course a Gay rapper would not be as shocking as 15, 10 or even 5 years ago, but it's still not widely accepted either..In hip-hop, Insinuating a man is gay is still used as a choice insult from one man to another man to disrespect his manhood.

As already stated by Luke Cage and some others, religion in hip-hop is not a new thing at all, we are used to having artist in hip-hop express their religious beliefs. Yeah most of it (just about ALL of it) has been under the teaching of the 5% muslim doctrine but, that particular religion isn't as prevalent today as it was in the 80's and 90's. Since the 00's the door has been open more for Christianity ideals sprinkled in here and there.

It may not be an influx of full blown Gospel Rappers to the extent of, "Hey look at me Im a Gospel Rapper, I read the bible all day..ect" type, but if you notice artist like Kendrick Lamar, J Cole & Drake touch on Christianity ideals and concepts lightly throughout songs. Obviously I would never say they are "Gospel Rappers", but when they do glaze through religious topics it's usually from the Christianity viewpoint.

#PicABeat Audio Photo series. Where the beat is inspired by the photo.
http://soundcloud.com/KingAkai

http://kingakai.com

“I love these bitches, man. I really do.â€
- Andre 3000

Playa_Politician
Member since Jul 29th 2006
5495 posts
Tue Feb-18-14 08:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
16. "I can listen to gospel rappers, i can relate to them even tho"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Feb-18-14 08:54 PM by Playa_Politician

i'm an atheist.

I used to bump Gospel Gangstaz and some other cats back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILaxaK3yNs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQC0tfwgibI

If said Gay rapper is spitting shit like that then i can rock wit it, but if he rapping about street shit then talking about kissing his man, checking a dude out, the way a straight rapper would/does, it would throw it off and not appeal to me.

--sig--
n/a

Awburn
Member since Oct 16th 2003
1864 posts
Fri Sep-19-14 04:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "Lecrae - #1 album on Billboard. nm"
In response to Reply # 0

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Fri Sep-19-14 06:48 PM

19. "Dude is spitting on that "Welcome to America" track."
In response to Reply # 18

Since 1976

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 02:19 AM

20. "He's got skills"
In response to Reply # 18

86k copies is very impressive especially to do it without being directly signed to one of the "big 3".

spirit
Charter member
21432 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 04:15 AM

21. "Lecrae just had the #1 album in the country"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm sure a gospel rapper will get the respect of more heads, even atheist heads, than an openly gay rapper will. Think of it in a battle rap context: one rapper calls the other a bunch of gay slurs, that rapper retorts with a bunch of accusations that the first rapper reads the Bible and goes to church. Who wins the battle in front of the average hip-hop audience? And there you have your answer.

Peace,

Spirit (Alan)
http://wutangbook.com

-DJ R-Tistic-
51986 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 07:55 AM

22. "Young Thug count?"
In response to Reply # 0

Adwhizz
40926 posts
Tue Sep-23-14 11:54 PM

27. "If I was Gay, I'd be mad because that dude sucks"
In response to Reply # 22

As a matter of fact,I'm NOT gay and I'm mad because this dude SUCKS!

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

The Wordsmith
Member since Aug 13th 2002
17070 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 07:53 PM

32. "In more ways than one *ba doomp tssss*."
In response to Reply # 27

Since 1976

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 11:00 AM

23. "RE: le1f, mykki blanco, big freedia"
In response to Reply # 0

All tour successfully
Big freedia has his on reality show.
Explain 'acceptance'

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Sun Sep-21-14 11:06 AM

24. "RE: Openly Gay Rapper Vs. Gospel Rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

If the raps are dope... and neither are over preachy.. the "heads" will accept it..

Now the mainstream...

Lecrae got that good #1 slot (albeit really low numbers in the context of US sales).. There is no "open" rapper to really compare him with

and whether young thug is gay or not the "heads" nor "mainstream" will ever fuck with him..

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 10:20 AM

29. "who does, then?"
In response to Reply # 24

>and whether young thug is gay or not the "heads" nor
>"mainstream" will ever fuck with him..

he's like the weirdest rapper since Lil B but I'd rather listen to Lil B at his most cracked out sometimes

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 01:34 AM

33. "RE: who does, then?"
In response to Reply # 29
Thu Sep-25-14 01:35 AM by double 0

err "mainstream"-ish young black people? college white bros that "turn up to trap"

cats who listen to rich homie quan NOT in the club?

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

DJ Wade-O
Member since Jan 23rd 2007
2366 posts
Mon Sep-22-14 03:57 PM

26. "This post makes me smile."
In response to Reply # 0

Download my new mixtape featuring Lecrae, Andy Mineo, Christon Gray and more. Positive Hip Hop: http://www.noistrade.com/wadeoradio

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 08:48 AM

28. "Gay rapper can't possibly be as corny as a Christian rapper"
In response to Reply # 0

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 10:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
30. "if the beats and cuts are really dope, and the MC can rhyme well..."
In response to Reply # 0

....the actual content of the rhymes isn't going to deter me ...that said, i dont want to hear jesus loves me blah blah blah or I'm so gay every other line either

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 10:22 AM

34. "I think that's what separates them though"
In response to Reply # 30

Being a "gospel" rapper implies that all of your music has Christian themes right? A rapper being gay doesn't automatically mean he's just going to rap about homosexuality all the time.

That being said, as far as mainstream acceptance, a gospel rapper would definitely win unfortunately. Not that there's anything wrong with gospel, but Christianity is still infinitely more accepted than homosexuality especially in hip hop.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

My_SP1200_Broken_Again
Charter member
57004 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 10:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
35. "take Al Greens's "jesus is waiting".... "
In response to Reply # 34

...to me the song is as amazing as any of the other classic joints on that album, but it isn't the lyrics that move me ...its the grooves the vocals

...then take a look at all the love songs done over the years by singers you might not have realized were gay, the songs apply to anyone who experiences love not just a gay person

i guess think both could work.. but it comes down to the music #1..

< Live Mixshow - Thurs 11PM/EST >
https://twitch.tv/djchiefone

----Mixtape Archives-----
https://soundcloud.com/djchiefone

sectachrome86
Member since Dec 22nd 2007
2729 posts
Thu Sep-25-14 11:50 AM

36. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 35

If you come out being labeled as a "gospel rapper" or "gay rapper" you're setting yourself to have some people disregard your music before even hearing it. But if the music is dope, its dope.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/sectachrome

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Wed Sep-24-14 11:55 AM

31. "this is an idiotic comparison"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Sep-24-14 11:55 AM by sweeneykovar

because a gospel rapper has very specific subject matter delivered through a very specific perspective. a gay rapper is a rapper who happens to be gay. what kind of music would he make? i dont know because 'gay rapper' doesn't tell me anything but something that's none of my concern to begin with and has little to no bearing musically.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2870762 Previous topic | Next topic