Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2869475

Subject: "Rap Ethics Question: His producer timeshifts my effing flow." Previous topic | Next topic
Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Fri Feb-07-14 10:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rap Ethics Question: His producer timeshifts my effing flow."
Fri Feb-07-14 11:22 PM by Jon

I write and record 1 verse each for 2 songs on this dude i think i'm kinda friends with's album in late 2012.

The album comes out December that year and to my horror, his half-baked "producer" actually time-shifted parts of my vocal track on both songs so my flow sounds all fucked up. He did the same thing to another dude's keyboard part on the album.

The producer acts like an utter jackass about it and is canned by the artist from any future projects

This unnamed artist/exec-producer (who has a decent cult following) tells me he's uncomfortable with me reusing these verses for my own project or purposes, but agrees to cut and release remixes that I'll produce with the shit done right.

This all took place between Nov 2012 and Feb 2013

It is now 2014

For a year, this dude has danced around the topic of getting in the studio, and now I'm starting to get mass-texts from him advertizing for everyone to come out and see him and his newly-signed rapper perform at this gig or that gig.

Yall think its cool at this point for me to just say "fuck it" and use those verses for my own shit by this point?

I feel I gave him ample time, but he prolly feels like I gave them to him. But my sense is, as an emcee, you do that under some expectation of not having
your shit mangled and presented to the listening public.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I have nothing to add other than:
Feb 08th 2014
That's cool, but definitely NOT this situation.
Feb 08th 2014
      RE: That's cool, but definitely NOT this situation.
Feb 08th 2014
unless they paid for your verses...
Feb 08th 2014
they didn't pay me. i have credit. i hear u. i'm actually
Feb 08th 2014
FYI: He didn't shift the flow on purpose for effect. He messed up when
Feb 08th 2014
stop calling him a producer
Feb 08th 2014
i keep meaning to put quotes around that word lol
Feb 08th 2014
if your next post is "i kicked his mothafuckin' ass"...
Feb 09th 2014
The ''producer'' did not apologize. He said its his perogative. The MC
Feb 09th 2014
SUN!
Feb 10th 2014
      THAT'S REAL, FAM!!
Feb 11th 2014
      Word. Is. Bond.
Feb 11th 2014
      i'm not a violent person and i do kinda feel bad for that dude
Feb 13th 2014
      LOL!!
Feb 11th 2014
Wow. Who hired that dude?
Feb 11th 2014
      yeah it was bad. He and this artist go way way back, but not anymore.
Feb 11th 2014
So I texted him yesterday.
Feb 11th 2014

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15302 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 12:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I have nothing to add other than:"
In response to Reply # 0

Talib Kweli: “I remember seeing the promotion for it and thinking, 'Kanye has an album coming, I wish I was a part of it.' And then he called me. I sent him what I recorded on the road. When I rapped on that beat, I rapped on a different part of the beat that you hear. I sent it to him, but when I heard it, I was frustrated. Imagine you rapped on one part of the beat and you hear it moved to another part, and it starts on a different part. People loved it though. Kanye did it by mistake but it was a beautiful mistake. When I first told him, he said, 'Oh shit. I get it but I like it.' When you send someone vocals through e-mail, it could be anyone's mistake -- an engineer, or it could have been that Kanye heard it the way he heard it and that's the way it got laid."

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 01:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "That's cool, but definitely NOT this situation. "
In response to Reply # 1

A: I recorded these in person, with the rhymes hitting the mix exactly how i intended.

B: This shit is straight up mangled, not just reframed or staggered in a cool way. Its gross.

seandammit
Member since May 28th 2003
6529 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 03:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "RE: That's cool, but definitely NOT this situation. "
In response to Reply # 2

It's all subjective, but I'd be able to give a much more accurate opinion if I could hear the track in question.

www.twitter.com/seandammit

Small Pro
Member since Apr 06th 2006
12593 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 05:25 PM

4. "unless they paid for your verses..."
In response to Reply # 0

...they're still yours

i generally stay away from adjusting people's actual flow, but i will move vocals all over the place

--------------------------------------
https://smallprofessor.bandcamp.com

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 10:36 PM

8. "they didn't pay me. i have credit. i hear u. i'm actually"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat Feb-08-14 10:42 PM by Jon

ok with playing around with vocals or even flow if its a remix or the artist/vocalist is on the same page. Sometimes they're just laying some basic vocal parts down for you, which i get. There's no expectation or integrity of a performance to mind.

but i'm utterly amazed someone can fathom thinking its cool to fuck with someone's verse like that on an original (or a serious singer's performance, like imagine Ella Fitzgerald getting all shifted and tweaked in the wave forms before we ever got to hear her true performance)

but yeah, i'm leaning toward using them eventually. hope i don't burn any bridges

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 07:44 PM

5. "FYI: He didn't shift the flow on purpose for effect. He messed up when"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Feb-08-14 08:04 PM by Jon

trying to fuck something else up.

The producer wanted to delete a fairly important word of mine (which is fucked up as it is), not because it was an undesired word, but get this: he thought the vibrato i used was odd.

So instead of being a medium piece of turd and just muting out the word, he actually deleted it from the wave file, thus causing everything after it to move up in time.

He didn't realize he did this until i pointed it out to him.

that's the more egregious one.

the other song, he must have been playing around and shit (like i saw him do with other things when i was there in the studio, shaking my head), and would up manually putting my track back in *roughly* the right place, but just a shade off where its not hitting right anymore. Keyboard player told me same thing happened to his part on a song lol

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2729 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 09:43 PM

6. "stop calling him a producer"
In response to Reply # 5

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sat Feb-08-14 10:32 PM

7. "i keep meaning to put quotes around that word lol"
In response to Reply # 6

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Sun Feb-09-14 04:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "if your next post is "i kicked his mothafuckin' ass"..."
In response to Reply # 5

i'd thoroughly understand.

i've seen people get fucked up for less.

did this guy even apologize for making you look/sound foolish? he's fucking with your reputation. who knows who is gonna hear his bullshit and be hearing YOU for the very first time and forming a solid opinion about *you* based off of HIS fuck up?

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Sun Feb-09-14 05:46 PM

10. "The ''producer'' did not apologize. He said its his perogative. The MC"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun Feb-09-14 06:05 PM by Jon

did apologize. And he canned that other dude after a number of other mess-ups that he was ultra defiant and defensive about. Its his upstart label, he's the one with the resources and connections, etc. He's a real nice humble dude i go way back with, but for whatever reason he hasn't given me the opportunity to rectify the situation. I figured he was too busy for music (his first excuse almost a year ago -- and it is like a side thing for him still). But then now I'm getting those adverts about "come see me and new rapper rock the joint at x and y location"

That's why I want to just go ahead and do my own thing with those verses (they weren't throw-away battle rhymes or something...they were incredibly deep and thought-out concept pieces), so maybe they can be heard right by at least some people out there.

And yeah thats what kills me. a good number of people(including enough industry heads) heard or will hear that crap.

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Mon Feb-10-14 12:36 AM

11. "SUN!"
In response to Reply # 9

Me and you is like dis > >< <

Messing with a Man's craft is like messing with his soul.

Ninjaz gettin' they words deleted type fuckin' up the cadence 'cus
DJ not-so-cool-edit don't know da fuck he doin'? ? ?....

Yeah, it'd be SO HARD to NOT unleash the elbow of DA GAWDS on dat ninja!

-Scene would be like-

NoDrawls: *nods head to the beat*....wait hol'up....HOL'UP! Yo run it back to the 45 second mark, ...somethin' ain't right.

DJ Fuckupalot: Word?....aight bet. *cues it up*

NoDrawls: Aight now play it....*peeps it again*...see right there, fuck is my flow so off beat for right there Sun?...Whatchu do to my shit Fam?....

DJ Fuckupalot: I'm sayin'...I didn't like that word you used so I delet-......*before he can even finish*

NoDrawls: http://i.minus.com/iL3AYvEFEXVUu.gif

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 01:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "THAT'S REAL, FAM!!"
In response to Reply # 11

you don't fuck with nobody's rep like that unless you wanna get dealt wit. straight up.

just 'cause YO monkey ass is offbeat don't mean that i get down like that. you ain't gon fuck with MY art. fuck and that.

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 03:46 AM

13. "Word. Is. Bond."
In response to Reply # 12

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Thu Feb-13-14 02:53 PM

18. "i'm not a violent person and i do kinda feel bad for that dude"
In response to Reply # 12
Thu Feb-13-14 02:54 PM by Jon

i think he has issues that fuck up everything he does in life quite honestly

but yeah, the other dude (the actual artist who's in the loosest possible sense a "friend" of mine) should know what this means to someone like me

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 08:32 AM

15. "LOL!!"
In response to Reply # 11

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 07:38 AM

14. "Wow. Who hired that dude?"
In response to Reply # 5

I know a half dozen bedroom/basement producers who would never make such amateur mistakes. Including myself.

--

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 08:33 AM

16. "yeah it was bad. He and this artist go way way back, but not anymore."
In response to Reply # 14

Jon
Charter member
18687 posts
Tue Feb-11-14 08:39 AM

17. "So I texted him yesterday."
In response to Reply # 0

With the remixes in mind, etc

"We still doing this music thing?"

he replies (paraphrasing): "I sent you the flyer for my show with so-and-so. I'm still producing him and had our first live concert together last Thursday"

...lol ok

Lobby The Lesson topic #2869475 Previous topic | Next topic