Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2866879

Subject: "I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 11:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups"

Like pre Biggie, Jay-Z and Nas, it seemed like you had to start in a group to get launched (at least be down with a strong clique). The clique element is still strong, but there doesn't seem to be any new groups any more.

It's probably an economics thing but it definitely seemed that it was so hard to get put on back in the days, folks saw fit to roll up their talents to make sure they can't lose.

Think about it, would RZA, Ghostface, Method Man & ODB necessarily have blown up if they started out as individual artists? Probably not (and be for you jumped down my throat remember RZA did initially to launch as a solo artist). However, all that talent coming together for wu-tang couldn't help but win.

Same goes for so many great groups. Andre300 or Big Boi as individual artist? Hmmmmm, (I know y'all want to say yes 3000, maybe not Big Boi). De La Soul? Tribe? PE? LNOS? I love all those groups but what made them great is the balance they had from having different members to the group. In all likelihood you never would have heard of Phife, Flavor Flav, Dino, and other non-star members of groups but they did provide a value and it's a good chance that Q-tip, Busta and Chuck D might not have had Huge careers if it weren't for the other guys balancing them out.

Now think about a lot of talented artists now who aren't really blowing up like that? Think of Remedial's post about Nipsey, Gibbs, Stalley, etc. Think about how much of a better chance any of those artist would have if they came out as a group rather than individual artist?

Infact, I'd like to hear folks make suggestions for groups of young artist if they could draft their own squads.

Anyway, let's discuss it.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I personally find that groups are more interesting than solo artists
Jan 23rd 2014
Bless The Roots. Fuck Hip-Hop Bands n/m
Jan 23rd 2014
how are they not a serious recording act?
Jan 23rd 2014
      Lol no they don't
Jan 23rd 2014
      yes they do
Jan 23rd 2014
      Maybe by being on TV every night diminished their artistic legitimacy?
Jan 24th 2014
           I don't watch their show but IMHOP HIGO is my favorite album
Jan 24th 2014
                How I Got Over is your favorite Roots album?
Jan 24th 2014
I don't think you can just put together groups though
Jan 23rd 2014
RE: but didnt kweli and mos grow up knowing each other tho?
Jan 24th 2014
RE: I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups
Jan 23rd 2014
Back-and-forth rapping should never be out of style
Jan 23rd 2014
Most of these dudes need to be in a group
Jan 24th 2014
RUN THE JEWELS 2 COMING SOON
Jan 24th 2014
Damn, this was the example I was trying to think of.
Jan 24th 2014
RE: I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups
Jan 24th 2014

45RPM
Member since Jan 23rd 2014
285 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 04:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I personally find that groups are more interesting than solo artists"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd love to see more bands in hip hop getting shine.

I love The Roots, but there needs to be more bands, they just can't be they only one and now that they do the late night television thing, they've kind of...I don't know the right word to describe it, but I no longer really look at them as a serious recording act. Now that I think about it, I wished I never watched the Fallon show because the comedy sketches they do is, well you know.

But yeah I agree, more groups please.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 04:56 PM

2. "Bless The Roots. Fuck Hip-Hop Bands n/m"
In response to Reply # 1

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 04:58 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "how are they not a serious recording act?"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu Jan-23-14 04:59 PM by justin_scott

Since 2005, they've released 7 critically acclaimed albums, and 4 of those are rap albums.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 11:07 PM

7. "Lol no they don't"
In response to Reply # 3

>Since 2005, they've released 7 critically acclaimed albums,
>and 4 of those are rap albums.

I'm a huge fan but this just isn't true. Only among
questo's twitter followers and Facebook friends
would you hear praise like that.

They've been stale for a minute now unfortunately.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 11:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "yes they do"
In response to Reply # 7

every album since tipping point has been a massive critical success.

45RPM
Member since Jan 23rd 2014
285 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 02:46 AM

9. "Maybe by being on TV every night diminished their artistic legitimacy?"
In response to Reply # 3

The "Black Simon & Garfunkel" and all the other skits kinda make me cringe and their music has strangely been dope and incredibad at the same time.

The extremely horrible off key singing on How I Got Over and UnDun, the collaboration albums with John Legend, Betty Wright and Elvis Costello kinda comes off as...well you know...

I love the Roots they gave us some great music. Black Thought is the greatest MC the hip hop world is a fraid to acknowledge, but as time goes on... I think "HIP HOP" is in desperate of more bands that could give The Roots some competition in the studio and on stage.

Kool & The Gang kept Earth, Wind and Fire sharp and vice versa...Just saying.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 11:07 AM

13. "I don't watch their show but IMHOP HIGO is my favorite album"
In response to Reply # 9

I was blown that they are now putting out some of their best music.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 01:11 PM

15. "How I Got Over is your favorite Roots album?"
In response to Reply # 13

that's crazy talk to me.

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 05:03 PM

4. "I don't think you can just put together groups though"
In response to Reply # 0

Like I feel what you mean. But the 'supergroup' or even the 'jv group' will always lack something that an organically formed group has - shared struggle. That shared struggle facilitates them really supporting each other and fuels the greatness. Very few groups that were put together really have the chemistry to make greatness. Blackstar is the only one coming to mind... and yet....

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10143 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 11:03 AM

12. "RE: but didnt kweli and mos grow up knowing each other tho?"
In response to Reply # 4

i know they had all intentions of eventual solo careers, but werent they down with each other before black star? i think they owned the bookstore together around the time BS dropped

Original Juice
Member since Oct 03rd 2007
2578 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 05:03 PM

5. "RE: I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups"
In response to Reply # 0

Here here!

Lots of folks could ONLY shine through a group dynamic like Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, etc.

Now that I think about it.. I don't think we're going to see such an explosion until we have a year where multiple groups come out with GREAT group albums.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 05:06 PM

6. "Back-and-forth rapping should never be out of style"
In response to Reply # 0

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 04:42 AM

10. "Most of these dudes need to be in a group"
In response to Reply # 0

There are very few MC's that can hold up an entire album on their own. It's why unlike most everyone else I've never really craved for a Andre 3000 solo album. I don't think it would be better than the best Outkast albums. With someone like TDE outside of Kendrick I would much rather hear those dudes rap together as Black Hippy than individual solo albums from them. I feel the same way about Slaughterhouse with the exception of Joell. As far as duo or groups I'd like to hear I have a few in mind:

Locksmith & Mistah Fab
Corey Gunz, Joey BadA$$ & ASAP Rocky
Bishop Lamont & Dom Kennedy

Jayson Willyams
Member since Nov 18th 2004
3260 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 09:41 AM

11. "RUN THE JEWELS 2 COMING SOON"
In response to Reply # 0

That is all.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49402 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 11:08 AM

14. "Damn, this was the example I was trying to think of. "
In response to Reply # 11

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Fri Jan-24-14 02:25 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "RE: I feel like Hip-Hop could benefit from having more groups"
In response to Reply # 0

Majors don't sign rappers that often much less groups (although Overdoz just did a deal)

So you have a small ass indie pie that has to be split amongst a ton of members. It's hard to sustain.

That said there are a ton of groups or crews out now. OF, Flatbush Zombies, Overdoz, Save Money Crew, Slaughterhouse, Underachievers, ADd+, Step Bros, Pro Era, ASAP, Cool Kids are back out and errr i'm sure a bunch more.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2866879 Previous topic | Next topic