Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2866808

Subject: "Loc-ed After Dark Turns 25 This Week" Previous topic | Next topic
j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 10:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Loc-ed After Dark Turns 25 This Week"
Wed Jan-22-14 10:08 PM by j3ph

What...nothing?

Sheeeeit. Someone's gotta do it. Allow me.

All week at sonofbyford.com.

Discuss. Or just observe.

http://sonofbyford.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
well then...
Jan 23rd 2014
Take away the corniness of funky cold medina and wild thing and..
Jan 23rd 2014
RE: Loc-ed After Dark Turns 25 This Week
Jan 23rd 2014
same, had Stone Cold Rhymin on a dub, never heard Loc's album in full
Jan 23rd 2014
      RE: same, had Stone Cold Rhymin on a dub, never heard Loc's album in ful...
Jan 23rd 2014
           ^^^Those cuts were dope. Also liked "The Homies"
Jan 23rd 2014
           RE: ^^^Those cuts were dope. Also liked "The Homies"
Jan 23rd 2014
           Just put it on spotify-'On Fire' sounds sorta like Ultramag 'Ego Trippin...
Jan 23rd 2014

j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 06:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "well then..."
In response to Reply # 0

I remember Loc being this Joe Camel character and Loc'ed After Dark was, in 89, easily one of those first hits. Here is my review:

The tragedy of some albums is that, in the A&R process, some of the best music on an album gets completely dwarfed by the best chance at radio success. Such is the case for Tone Loc’s Loc’ed After Dark. In listening again for the first time in, easily, a decade, I’m struck by the polarity throughout the album. How it can be, at times, horrid (“Funky Cold Medina” or “The Homies”) and other times incredible (“Loc’ed After Dark” or “Cuttin’ Rhythms”). And, in figuring that the two songs that put this album in the tape decks of mini-vans across America represent (debatably) the two more unlistenable songs on the album, it makes for a complex listen.

Look, in the pop world, there’s rarely any credit given 25 years after the fact. The pop machine moves too fast. I asked a kid at work the other day if he had heard of Tone Loc (who was only six years younger than me) and he had no clue. That would be to say that even the ripple or halo of Tone’s monumental success had completely vanished even despite a sophomore effort just two years later. She moves fast. You can go from top of the world to barely B-list status just like that. Tone Loc wasn’t the first and certainly wouldn’t be the last.

So we have this debut album that came, really, out of left field on Delicious Vinyl. Delicious Vinyl, a relatively new label at the time, had very few other projects going at that time. Tone Loc was their blue chip. They had been working up singles for this guy going back to 1987, preparing for this moment when the full length album dropped. And, when it did, Delicious Vinyl would never look back.

The album itself is carried largely by the production as Tone’s lyrics are largely not even his. We all know now that “Wild Thing” was written by a then-unknown young emcee named, well, Young MC. And if his hits were ghostwritten, who’s to say the whole thing isn’t really Tone’s? And if you look at the lyrics to, say, “Loc’ed After Dark” which finds Tone flexing with:

Now I battle posses and tribes alike
Never battle out of hate, I always battle for spite
Cold jealous of me, the west side man
The leader of the brothers and killer of the Klan
But I don’t give a shit ’cause my rhyme is legit
Cold put you in the yard and tie you up with my pit

‘Cause when she starts to bite, that’s when I will ignite
The views of the party taken to new heights
I consider myself to be a part of the elite
Suave and debonair because the rhyme is so sweet

…to “Cutting Rhythms” where he spits the “ram-a-lam-a-ding-dong, bigger than King Kong, I’m on the mic and still got it going on,” it reeks of the kinda inconsistency that would suggest at least some ghostwriting at work.

But the production provided by the team of the Dust Brothers, Mike Simpson and Matt Dike help provide a bed of varied hip hop listening from DMC-ish rock sampling to full on trunk-rattling bass music. It’s a toasty sampling of some of the more imaginative hip hop to hit the pop world at that point in time. Of course, as it would go, people didn’t give a shit about the deep album cuts that actually make the album better than it’s current bargain bin status. But, I guess you could say, that’s why we listened to it for a week. To pull out those deep album cuts. “Cutting Rhythms,” “Loc’ed After Dark,” and the phenomenally simple but effective “Loc’ing on the Shaw,” there’s enough meat on the bone here for a second listen.

ry 213
Member since Jan 24th 2010
1013 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 10:01 AM

2. "Take away the corniness of funky cold medina and wild thing and.."
In response to Reply # 0

the rest of the album is classic LA gangsta rap. The procduction is dope and Tone is flowing on this whether he wrote the lyrics or not.

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 12:13 PM

3. "RE: Loc-ed After Dark Turns 25 This Week"
In response to Reply # 0

I avoided this album altogether. I did hear Young MC's joint though.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 01:41 PM

4. "same, had Stone Cold Rhymin on a dub, never heard Loc's album in full"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Jan-23-14 01:41 PM by Bombastic

and really only know Wild Thing, Funky Cold Medina & I Got It Going On to this day.

j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 01:57 PM

5. "RE: same, had Stone Cold Rhymin on a dub, never heard Loc's album in ful..."
In response to Reply # 4

Must check "On Fire," "Cuttin' Rhythms" and "Loc'in on the Shaw." Even the title cut.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44718 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "^^^Those cuts were dope. Also liked "The Homies""
In response to Reply # 5

It was sorta goofy/corny, but it worked.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

j3ph
Charter member
1863 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 02:23 PM

8. "RE: ^^^Those cuts were dope. Also liked "The Homies""
In response to Reply # 6

After listening to Loc'ed After Dark for a week, I woke up the next Sunday at 3am hearing the hook to "The Homies" in my head. I hate that song now.

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Thu Jan-23-14 02:21 PM

7. "Just put it on spotify-'On Fire' sounds sorta like Ultramag 'Ego Trippin..."
In response to Reply # 5

"Loc'd After Dark" is him over Ice-T's "High Rollers" from the year before.

Like that little Wings' "Band On The Run" transition they flipped in there on "Cutting Rhythms", even though this song sounds like '86 more than '89.

I actually now remember this "Cheeba Cheeba" song too, can't remember if this was a single or just got some burn because it was a weed song back then.

Loc'in on the Shaw.....well, guess this is the kind of instrumental groove The Dust Brothers would implement later that year on Paul's Boutique.

All in all, Loc had a cool voice but didn't seem to have a whole lot to say outside the Marvin Young-penned singles.

Anyway, thanks for giving me something to investigate today.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2866808 Previous topic | Next topic