Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2866476

Subject: "The new Kast album is almost as funny as the new D'Angelo album (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 02:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The new Kast album is almost as funny as the new D'Angelo album (link)"

Again, we're gonna work on solo LP's before we do another Kast album. Dre still ain't said shit.

http://revolt.tv/news/andre-3000-and-big-boi-to-release-solo-lps-before-new-outkast-album/D1FD688E-8C09-47B4-8CC5-0744A0E85F01

BY REED JACKSON

Speaking with longtime Outkast affiliates Sleepy Brown, Mr. DJ, and Big Gipp, REVOLT investigates the future of the duo's creative output.

The world had almost lost hope in the idea of Outkast.

The duo, made up of Atlanta-bred MCs Andre 3000 and Big Boi, hadn’t released a proper album in close to a decade and hadn’t done anything together—shows, features, interviews—in nearly seven years. It wasn’t even clear whether the two were still talking, as Dre was seemingly inching farther away from the limelight, with Big Boi doing the opposite via solo work and film roles. The idea of a reunion was turning into hip-hop folklore, joining ghosts like Dr. Dre’s Detox or a DJ Premier-produced Nas album.

But that changed last week. Suddenly, Outkast was back—and in a big way. They’re expected to play 40 music festival dates over the next year, which is more than any of their fans could have wished for. What sparked the move? Simple: 2014 marks the 20th anniversary of Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, their debut album. The two MCs just want to give something back to those who’ve been riding with them since day one.

And in a recent interview with REVOLT at this year's Sundance Film Festival, Big Boi clarified the group's decision to reunite. "It's for the fans, you know? Can't wait to get onstage with the brother 3 Stacks and kill 'em," Big exclaimed.

Echoing Big's comments, Sleepy Brown, the man behind the velvety hooks on many of Outkast's hits, told REVOLT, “It’s only right. It’s for the fans who’ve been down even when Outkast wasn’t doing anything.”

Despite the anniversary year, the move that seemingly came out of nowhere had actually been planned for quite some time, according to Brown, and a level of secrecy among label heads, the duo, and their associates helped it come off as a surprise. That secrecy remains, though, as questions have arisen over what the significance of the reunion actually means for hip-hop. Is one of the greatest groups of all time really getting back together, or is this a farewell tour?

The best way to figure that out would be to monitor the activity going on in Stankonia Studios, the band’s longtime workspace in Atlanta. Both Dre and Big Boi have been recording there as of late, sparking speculation around a new Outkast album. In reality, they’ve been laying tracks down for respective solo projects, according to Mr. DJ, the group’s longtime producer.

He’s not certain, but—brace yourself—he believes 3000 will drop his long-awaited solo album this year. BET’s Stephen Hill hinted at the idea last summer, when he tweeted out that Dre mentioned dropping a new album at the top of 2014. While it may not be coming that soon, a lot of material has been recorded for it, Mr. DJ notes.

Big Boi, meanwhile, also has a fair amount of material recorded for his own solo project, and Mr. DJ was in Stankonia with him just last week laying tracks down for it. The bigger plan at hand, it seems, is for both MCs to go on their 40-date festival run, drop solo projects, and then get back in the studio for a group project. Going on tour, Mr. DJ says, should help rekindle their creative relationship.

“I get the feeling that the energy and camaraderie from the tour will bring everything full circle,” he told REVOLT. “We may make it back in for an album following that.”

Notice the pronoun used there: “we.” If a new Outkast album is in the works, you better believe Mr. DJ will be a part of it. The same goes for Brown and the rest of Dungeon Family, the southern collective made up of Outkast, Goodie Mob, and Rico Wade, among other affiliates. All its members came into the game at the same time, so 2014 marks their 20th anniversary as well.

Goodie Mob member Big Gipp told REVOLT just last week that a full-blown DF reunion is in the works and that many of its members will be joining Outkast on certain tour dates, namely at this year's CounterPoint Festival in Georgia.

Some of the DF members are also planning on releasing new music this year, such as Organized Noize—the production crew made up of Brown, Wade and Ray Murray. The trio, which crafted Outkast's southern-fried funk sound, is planning on releasing an instrumental album and a book on its history this year.

What’s more, Brown has a new solo project coming, which will be straight vintage soul, built for cruising in Cadillacs and making babies. And, of course, there’s also the much-hyped collaboration between Dre and Future, an artist most fans don’t realize got his start in DF (Wade is his cousin). The song, expected to be on Future’s upcoming Honest and titled “Benz Bitch,” is a straight hip-hop track and will feature both artists laying down long verses, according to Mr. DJ.

We know, we know… All of this is almost too good to be true, especially for hip-hop fans who’ve been craving a return to the innovative music of the ’90s.

“It signifies an era for Atlanta and the South,” Brown confirmed. “Everyone in the family is banking on a big year.”

But, as we all know, anticipation can sometimes be dangerous. What if, by some unlikely chance, Outkast’s new album isn’t as mind-blowing as we all expect it to be? If a recent string of forgettable and unfortunate reunions are any indicator, the notion of Outkast's potentially subpar reunion album brings on the broader question of whether just having the duo back together is good enough, or if the reunion must spawn recorded greatness in order for it to be a success. After releasing six across-the-board genius albums, could Outkast ruin its essentially flawless catalogue (i.e. "They were great, except for that last album") with a new offering?

Needless to say, this is something that we, as music fans, and they, as genius musicians, are still trying to figure out. Perhaps if Outkast do end up dropping a less-than-stellar project, it will teach the music world at large to appreciate the moment—to realize how special an onstage reunion (if that's all we get) really is. Or, maybe it'll make us wish they never came back in the first place. That’s the risk that Big and Dre have to take on, and, after years of mulling it over, it seems as though they’ve finally accepted it.

Either way, we'll catch you at one of their forty fest dates; we'll be the ones in the front row.

(Andre 3000 illustrated by Bastien Chauvin, Big Boi illustrated by Dan Evans)

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I would beyonce all 3 releases.
Jan 21st 2014
Andre been said he was dropping a solo..and been confrimed to be
Jan 21st 2014
that Goodie MOb reunion got me shook
Jan 21st 2014
i did until you mentioned it :(
Jan 21st 2014
Goodie Mob doesn't have a new album. Some group impersonated
Jan 21st 2014
I'm honestly SO okay without another Outkast album
Jan 21st 2014
Yup don't need a new Outkast album
Jan 21st 2014
Jan 21st 2014
pretty much n/m
Jan 21st 2014
Me too, but it would be nice to get a single or two
Jan 21st 2014
so there really ISN'T a new Kast album
Jan 21st 2014
I hate the term southern-fried funk.
Jan 21st 2014
Stop doing this to me.
Jan 21st 2014
RE: The new Kast album is almost as funny as the new D'Angelo album (lin...
Jan 22nd 2014
Preach
Jan 22nd 2014
Kast @ Tabernacle is my ideal show
Jan 22nd 2014
one of the last times I saw them
Jan 22nd 2014
Supposedly, an interlude from the album leaked
Jan 22nd 2014
Kast interludes ain't never been that long or that unfunny.
Jan 22nd 2014
      Well it could be the raw material. Also it's funny as hell.
Jan 22nd 2014

phemom
Member since Oct 22nd 2004
5129 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 03:00 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I would beyonce all 3 releases."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't think a Big Boi, Andre 3000 or an OutKast record needs a bunch of hype to sell records. Plus I don't think Andre is interested in all that shit...so why not just surprise everyone with the releases and let the music speak for them.

DF keeps things close to the vest anyways, so it prolly wouldn't be that hard to keep from the media.

phemom's the name, all-star writer/
searching 4 journalistic fame, mindframe igniter....www.twitter.com/hayabusaage

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 03:29 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Andre been said he was dropping a solo..and been confrimed to be"
In response to Reply # 0

in the studio with Mike will made it and others.

He made a statement about the reunion tour 2.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Selah
Member since Jun 05th 2002
16484 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 04:18 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "that Goodie MOb reunion got me shook"
In response to Reply # 0

am I the only one who hasn't forgotten that thing?

*shudder*

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 04:30 PM

5. "i did until you mentioned it :("
In response to Reply # 3

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 04:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Goodie Mob doesn't have a new album. Some group impersonated"
In response to Reply # 3

them all, and created an album under their alias, though. And they made some horrid song called "Amy." That wasn't actually T-Mo n them, though.

(just follow me on this one)

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 04:21 PM

4. "I'm honestly SO okay without another Outkast album"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-21-14 04:21 PM by CherNic

like completely fine. I will take this tour and have my memories.

13Rose
Charter member
19379 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 04:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "Yup don't need a new Outkast album"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll listen though. Just PLEASE don't play that Goodie Mob album for me EVER again in life.

This post was paid for by the following.

www.twitter.com/13Rose
www.debunkthemyth.org
http://dashaunworld.wordpress.com/
www.mothergreen.com

Remember MJ The Great!
PSN: ThirteenRose

forgivenphoenix
Member since Dec 08th 2007
2514 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 06:53 PM

9. ""
In response to Reply # 4
Tue Jan-21-14 06:54 PM by forgivenphoenix

If Big Boy and 3K and the Dungeon Family can't come up with music that is distinctly OutKast, then let the albums speak for themselves and let the tour just be a good victory lap.

http://www.twitter.com/chriscjamison/

People who don't take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year. People who do take risks generally make about two big mistakes a year.

Peter Drucker

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 08:02 PM

12. "pretty much n/m"
In response to Reply # 4

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 10:14 PM

13. "Me too, but it would be nice to get a single or two"
In response to Reply # 4

That with the tour is all I really need from them

dude

rdhull
Charter member
33133 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 05:15 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "so there really ISN'T a new Kast album "
In response to Reply # 0

JFrost1117
Member since Aug 12th 2005
23880 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 07:05 PM

10. "I hate the term southern-fried funk."
In response to Reply # 0

Yes! She's on the drugs. (c) BoHagon

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Tue Jan-21-14 07:19 PM

11. "Stop doing this to me."
In response to Reply # 0

Stop giving me hope.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Ron Burgandy
Member since Sep 16th 2005
1599 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 09:55 AM

14. "RE: The new Kast album is almost as funny as the new D'Angelo album (lin..."
In response to Reply # 0

They keep saying that the reunion tour is for the "fans that were down from day one" but unless they are playing some dates that we aren't aware of, it actually isn't. The real OG Kast fans are going to be hard pressed to want to endure the droves of drunk and drug induced kids that will be at those festivals.

They have to do Tabernacle here in the A or at the very least Music Midtown, otherwise I will be highly upset.

You stay classy okayplayer!!

Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 10:04 AM

15. "Preach"
In response to Reply # 14

Outkast at the Tabernacle is pretty much a dream venue. Do a three-night residency and charge what you want. This is probably more reasonable at the Fox due to size though.

I went to two festivals last year and have no desire to ever return.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 10:32 AM

16. "Kast @ Tabernacle is my ideal show"

Like....I don't know a dollar amount I wouldn't drop. I don't see myself at a festival either but who knows

tariqhu
Charter member
17885 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 10:47 AM

17. "one of the last times I saw them"

was at the tabernacle. that'll be the best place for this. music midtown makes sense from a festival standpoint too. not sure why they're doing the other 'not really atlanta' show.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 12:27 PM

18. "Supposedly, an interlude from the album leaked"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jan-22-14 12:27 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c050mkLR8jg

I am dubious.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-

Hitokiri
Charter member
22103 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 12:30 PM

19. "Kast interludes ain't never been that long or that unfunny."
In response to Reply # 18

they could've at least put a "break!" in it.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49397 posts
Wed Jan-22-14 12:35 PM

20. "Well it could be the raw material. Also it's funny as hell. "
In response to Reply # 19
Wed Jan-22-14 12:37 PM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Assuming it's a real conversation with a man and a woman.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

Okayplayer's 13 Best Songs of 2013
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1oqjQg5iG0kixstemTCUgT0b8cSMNfN-

Lobby The Lesson topic #2866476 Previous topic | Next topic