Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2865038

Subject: "Q-Tip developing native tongues TV show" Previous topic | Next topic
quatto
Member since Jul 02nd 2010
435 posts
Fri Jan-10-14 03:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Q-Tip developing native tongues TV show"

... with Leonardo Dicaprio and Jonah hill.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/q-tip-developing-tv-series-with-leonardo-dicaprio-jonah-hill-20140110

As a huge Native tongues fan i dunno what to think of this. other than that probably nothing will come of it.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I think this has a decent chance of happening
Jan 11th 2014
Only 20 years too late!!
Jan 11th 2014
if people can see some value in period pieces like "Mad Men"
Jan 11th 2014
Or like a show about the 1950s in the 70s.
Jan 12th 2014
      Thank you for proving my point
Jan 12th 2014
           How does that prove your point?
Jan 12th 2014
                It's not about making a show set in the time period alone
Jan 12th 2014
                     The 'trickiness' you describe is all valid.
Jan 12th 2014
the problem isn't getting it developed
Jan 12th 2014
I'd hope that the show would be about a *Native Tongues-esque* crew
Jan 12th 2014
      look at it like this
Jan 12th 2014
           As long as you got the standard disclaimer
Jan 12th 2014

Delajoo
Member since Jul 30th 2010
1331 posts
Sat Jan-11-14 01:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I think this has a decent chance of happening"
In response to Reply # 0

Considering Tip's rising notoriety after the documentary and recent collaborations, and the weight behind the two names attached. I think there is a rare opportunity here to have a music driven narrative that is both historical, and informative as well as possibly have crate digging and hip hop production get a lot of attention on camera. I think even if it was simply based on Q-TIp and not be a historical recreation, it would be really worth watching.

-------------------
village.fm/okayplayer | @delajoo
"Whether you're a rock star or a garbage man, if you think about yourself all the time, you won't be very good at what you do." - Frusciante

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sat Jan-11-14 02:25 AM

2. "Only 20 years too late!!"
In response to Reply # 0

I love Tip, but this seems a little late.

I'd be like Paul Revere and The Raiders getting a TV show in 1985.

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Sat Jan-11-14 07:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "if people can see some value in period pieces like "Mad Men""
In response to Reply # 2
Sat Jan-11-14 07:57 AM by c71

there's more than enough people who can get something out of a depiction of the late 80's early 90's hip-hop scene.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 08:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Or like a show about the 1950s in the 70s."
In response to Reply # 2

>I love Tip, but this seems a little late.
>
>I'd be like Paul Revere and The Raiders getting a TV show in
>1985.

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/9100000/Happy-Days-happy-days-9159388-1200-800.jpg

or a show about the 60s in the 90s

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2011/10/wonderyears1.jpg

or a show about the 70s in the 2000s

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Cast-of-That-70-s-Show-that-70-27s-show-119032_800_600.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:29 AM

8. "Thank you for proving my point"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun Jan-12-14 11:35 AM by handle

EDIT: It's a DRAMA???? Well that makes it about 100 times trickier.

If it's a That 70's Show it'll be a travesty, if it's Freaks and Geeks it'll be a triumph.

Hell, if it's Everybody Hates Chris level I'd watch it.

I fear it'll be Fame or Entourage.

Actually, what other TV shows followed a musical group/movement and haven't sucked?
The Monkees?
The Heights?
That epsiode Laverne and Shirley where Lenny and The Squigtones perform Starcross http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kozXmXBuJHE or Night After Night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLTx5ZwJiS0 . (Actually I liked The Lenny and The Squigtones record.)

Prove me wrong fellas and I'll sit through some of the ads on Hulu.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:40 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "How does that prove your point?"
In response to Reply # 8

I mean, I can understand your feelings about comedy vs. drama... but we were talking about whether it's "too late" to make a show about the late 80s/early 90s. Obviously not.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

handle
Charter member
18951 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 03:40 PM

11. "It's not about making a show set in the time period alone"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun Jan-12-14 03:42 PM by handle

It's the subject (music) + the time.

It's be like if they made The Monkees in 1987. (Which they tried to do with The New Monkees that failed.)

Or The Partridge Family in 2004. (Which they did, and it failed.)

A Native Tongues show *at the time* may have worked, but now I see it being much trickier.

Is it going to be about THE NATIVE TONGUES? If so then Sammy B or Clive Calder or any number of people could super fuck it up by objecting to it.

If it's not, and it's a Native-Togue-ish crew then the music's going to have to be SLAMMING and new, but sound appropriate to that time period. Which will be damn near impossible.

It'd be like it's Entoruage, but set-in the past, and that if we loved and cherished the movies of Mark Walhberg.

It's going to be tricky.

The Roots Hip Hop 101 kind of did this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmMxOAWALg&list=PL738F6D356BCBD573

If they could capture that tone I'd be interested.

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 07:20 PM

12. "The 'trickiness' you describe is all valid."
In response to Reply # 11

However, it still does not support your initial assertion that it's "too late" for such a show.

You could not have made a show like this back in 1989-1993. TV was not ready for it yet. And again, it would have actually been *too soon*

It's a drama with the emerging hip-hop scene as the backdrop. I don't think it's a variety show like Sonny & Cher or a series of elongated music videos like The Monkees or a karaoke musical like Glee. I don't think the show is gonna be all about the characters performing full musical numbers to the camera. So the concerns about the music being "slamming" enough are certainly valid, but hardly the most important consideration.

It's a DRAMA that happens to be set in a particular time period. Just like Masters of Sex, Game of Thrones or The Americans.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 09:41 AM

5. "the problem isn't getting it developed"
In response to Reply # 0

the problem is getting NT to play nice about the shit, that's what will make this not be a thing

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:18 AM

6. "I'd hope that the show would be about a *Native Tongues-esque* crew"
In response to Reply # 5

As opposed to a show that's literally about De La, Tribe, JBeez, Latifah, Monie etc.

It's too creatively limiting (and risky) to tell stories about figures who are still alive... plus, they probably need a couple of major white characters in the crew too if the show is gonna get any serious mainstream traction.

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:27 AM

7. "look at it like this"
In response to Reply # 6

as soon as one of them looks at it and says "HOLY SHIT THATS ME" and doesn't like the light the character is portrayed in, it's a problem even if said NTer is wrong about the character

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Sun Jan-12-14 11:42 AM

10. "As long as you got the standard disclaimer"
In response to Reply # 7

"any resemblance to persons living in dead is coincidental..." and the character is changed enough that they're not a direct replica of an actual person, then cases like that are unlikely to get very far... though I'm sure bammas will try anyway.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2865038 Previous topic | Next topic