Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2864835

Subject: "2014 Electronic/Instrumental Post" Previous topic | Next topic
bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Thu Jan-09-14 05:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"2014 Electronic/Instrumental Post"

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lee bannon - alternate/endings
Jan 09th 2014
Actress - "Ghettoville"
Jan 10th 2014
Damn, haven't seen you in a minute
Jan 10th 2014

bearfield
Member since Mar 10th 2005
8050 posts
Thu Jan-09-14 05:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lee bannon - alternate/endings"
In response to Reply # 0

stream it at pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/advance/306-alternate-endings/

i was really excited at the idea of a full on jungle revival/reinterpretation album. especially one made by a genre-hopping guy like bannon who has some real quality stuff under his belt

the problem with this album is the fact that there are maybe 4 breaks utilized throughout the entire album, and he mainly uses only 2 of them. one is from photek's "complex": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ68IUVYGg0. don't know where the other one is from but it sounds like it's from the school of super heavy snare hits

so when he uses the same 2 breaks in least 12 songs (some individual tracks are comprised of more than one song/movement/idea) everything starts to run together. any individuality of a particular song (as identified by samples, composition, structure, etc.) is almost completely lost because you just heard the same break in the last song. and i know this issue isn't limited to bannon. a lot of jungle songs used the same x breaks over and over but i don't recall any particular album relying so heavily on the same 2 breaks

it's a shame because there are some really amazing moments on this album. they just get lost in the shuffle of similar sounds

Stringer Bell
Member since Mar 15th 2004
3175 posts
Fri Jan-10-14 02:17 AM

2. "Actress - "Ghettoville""
In response to Reply # 0

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40926 posts
Fri Jan-10-14 03:52 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "Damn, haven't seen you in a minute"
In response to Reply # 0

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Lobby The Lesson topic #2864835 Previous topic | Next topic