Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2863800

Subject: "Musical Resolutions" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10465 posts
Wed Jan-01-14 09:26 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Musical Resolutions"

Think we've done this in the past once or twice. What do you hope to accomplish this year as a listener? As a music maker?

More concerts? Dig into a new genre or era? Finally learn to play the banjo that's been sitting in your closet for too many years? Support that local spot instead of spending money on Amazon every week?

I need to make more time for *focused* listening. I get a fair amount of listening in every week while doing other things: cleaning, commute, working at the computer, grading. I need to remind myself that the best listening is often done w/out distraction and actively make time for it.

Also want to finish an inventory sheet I started last year for cds/vinyl, if only so that I can begin a massive purge that I've been wanting to do for a while and start shaping something that is more cohesive as a collection and more reflective of my own listening. Which I'm pretty sure just means I'm getting old...

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I want to get back in touch as a listener
Jan 02nd 2014
My resolution is very similar to the first two posts
Jan 02nd 2014
I dunno, I feel like i had a pretty solid 2013
Jan 02nd 2014

Abstract_TheEclectic_Nubian
Member since Sep 07th 2002
5966 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 11:57 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "I want to get back in touch as a listener"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't listen as deeply as I did in the past. I suppose its because I don't use my headphones as much. I usually listen in my car which is usually a short commute or on my stereo at home. A lot of times I'm with the S.O. who isn't into music as much as I am. I actually thought about taking up running or jogging as a hobby to help me get back into music the way I was(along with becoming healthier in the process).

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

www.last.fm/user/Tha_Abstract

A Sizzle
Member since Jul 28th 2008
1644 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "My resolution is very similar to the first two posts"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm going to try to give a focused listen to every album in my collection at least once. On top of that, I started a blog late last year (like 3 weeks ago) to write about listening to the albums. I figure that way, I'll be able to write more often as well, which is something I want to do. We'll see how it goes.

If anyone wants to follow, here's the link:

http://alexsalbums.wordpress.com/

Feedback and discussion is welcome and definitely appreciated.

http://www.mixcloud.com/adotsizzle/

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Jan-02-14 03:40 PM

3. "I dunno, I feel like i had a pretty solid 2013"
In response to Reply # 0

-got more of my own stuff recorded and Soundclouded than ever before, and feel like I made some pretty good progress in a few directions.

-kept digging through my collection for stuff I wanted to listen to casually, ripping it, and (for the first part of the year anyway) sharing it with the gang via mumu

-even got to listen to a bunch of new records (not JUST reissues/compilations) and write about them

-saw a few dope kids' acts (well, doper than The Wiggles) - while this isn't a great step, it's certailny better than 2012 when I saw no live music at all

so basically if I can match one or two of those this year, I'll feel a bit ahead of the curve for my demographic. I'd really really like to see an adult show OF MY CHOOSING (not my wife's, though our tastes can overlap well) at some point soon though.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

Lobby The Lesson topic #2863800 Previous topic | Next topic