Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2862689

Subject: "was it Miles Davis trumpet playing or the musicianship on a whole" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 11:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"was it Miles Davis trumpet playing or the musicianship on a whole"

which made his records stand out and come off so well Produced and arranged? you can always make an argument that there were better trumpet players, however it depends on where you stand on his playing and also how the musicianship of other talents he had around him and what they brought?

what you think?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Speaking as a trumpet player myself...
Dec 22nd 2013
when you have Trane and Wayne Shorter
Dec 22nd 2013
Both
Dec 23rd 2013

WillSessions
Member since Oct 11th 2007
604 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 01:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
1. "Speaking as a trumpet player myself..."
In response to Reply # 0

I've played trumpet for the past 20years. Miles is one of my favorites. What makes him stand out, to me, is his lyricism and tone. He is not as technically proficient as someone like Freddie Hubbard, but miles doesn't need to be like that with the way he plays. I've transcribed many trumpet players solos over the years to learn vocabulary and style, just like most jazz musicians do. When I learn miles stuff, I truely understand the "less is more approach" and genius of simplicity. Where Freddie Hubbard will play a long line of fast and technical notes, or Maynard ferguson would play a screaming high note, miles would play a simple melodic passage that simply just sounds good. His tone was also very unique. He played a Martin Committee horn with a very deep holton heim mouthpiece, this setup gave him a dark and smokey sound...miles actually has a natural dark sound, you can hear it on earlier recordings, but this setup made it very dark. I feel like the simplistic lyrical approach and enjoyable tone are very appealing to many listeners.

Because of these aspects, I feel like miles is a TRUE artist. This was recognized by the musicians and the fans. He became a leader in the artistry of jazz. He began setting trends and changing the way jazz was being played. His albums became staples in jazz, and many of the top musicians wanted to play in his bands. He was able to build the best bands with the best and most creative jazz musicians. I think because of all this, he had all the resources and the talent to make these incredible albums.

www.twitter.com/willsessions

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 07:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "when you have Trane and Wayne Shorter"
In response to Reply # 1

to play with, you don't need to blow like a fucking fool
truth is Miles could play very well from a technical standpoint, but didn't do it in favor of a summation type method of playing

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Mon Dec-23-13 12:36 AM

3. "Both"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-23-13 12:36 AM by johnbook

It's not an issue of "it has to be both" because many people worship Miles Davis, because everyone goes through a learning process with him. His style has always been very simple compared to others, but what he did with that simplicity is great. When he wanted to play and cram, he did. When he wanted to speak seductively he did. When he didn't "speak", he allowed the band to play around/through him, and that waiting, that "silence", was part of his appeal. It was very much all about him, but he also knew who to play with, and they benefited from one another.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

Lobby The Lesson topic #2862689 Previous topic | Next topic