Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2862421

Subject: "Essential 80s New Wave Albums" Previous topic | Next topic
Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 07:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Essential 80s New Wave Albums"

Was listening to Duran Duran's Rio. Its pretty awesome. Lets list some more.

signature pose.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Laid Back- Keep Smiling
Dec 19th 2013
RE: Aztec Camera and Orange Juice have to be mentioned.
Dec 19th 2013
Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams
Dec 19th 2013
Tears for Fears- The Hurting
Dec 19th 2013
Talking Heads- Remain in Light
Dec 19th 2013
Human League- Dare
Dec 19th 2013
Tubeway Army- Replicas
Dec 20th 2013
Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring
Dec 20th 2013
well...i dont know if these all qualify as New Wave....
Dec 21st 2013
Can't forget Gary Numan- The Pleasure Principle
Dec 22nd 2013
Depending on your definition of New Wave...
Dec 22nd 2013
how could i forget about the Police????
Dec 22nd 2013
Love me some New Wave....some of my favs:
Dec 22nd 2013
Yazoo/Yaz- Upstairs At Eric's
Dec 23rd 2013
RE: Yazoo/Yaz- Upstairs At Eric's
Dec 23rd 2013

Abstract_TheEclectic_Nubian
Member since Sep 07th 2002
5966 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 07:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Laid Back- Keep Smiling"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not super well versed in 80's new wave, but I do like the genre very much. I came in here to learn.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

www.last.fm/user/Tha_Abstract

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 07:45 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Aztec Camera and Orange Juice have to be mentioned."
In response to Reply # 0

So, there.

I'd say first albums for both bands are the ones to get for those who are uninitiated (High Land Hard Rain and You Can't Hide Your Love Forever, respectively). But I have a soft spot for both bands' second albums and I prefer them (Knife and Rip it Up, respectively).

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"setting #10." http://bit.ly/1buMHti
"for mbs." http://bit.ly/1jH5FCa
"new life." http://bit.ly/1cImKJg
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"untitled 7." http://bit.ly/1fRetYQ

AlBundy
Member since May 27th 2002
9621 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 11:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Eurythmics- Sweet Dreams"
In response to Reply # 0

-------------------------
“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

AlBundy
9621 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 11:51 PM

4. "Tears for Fears- The Hurting"
In response to Reply # 0

“Floyd Mayweather should be taking fights up to 157 or 160 pounds...His frame can hold the weight..it's not even a lot of weight....Go to the gym and lift weights man..lol.”-- Warren Coolidge

AlBundy
9621 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 11:55 PM

5. "Talking Heads- Remain in Light"
In response to Reply # 0

AlBundy
9621 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 11:59 PM

6. "Human League- Dare"
In response to Reply # 0

AlBundy
9621 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 12:03 AM

7. "Tubeway Army- Replicas"
In response to Reply # 0

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15303 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 05:55 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Talk Talk - The Colour of Spring"
In response to Reply # 0

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:03 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "well...i dont know if these all qualify as New Wave...."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Dec-21-13 08:08 AM by Voodoochilde

not sure if these all qualify as 'New Wave' (btw...and this is a serious question, but what IS the generally accepted definition of "New Wave" anywayz?)...i dont technically know how to articulate the definition of New Wave, i guess its one of those things that 'you know it when ya hear it'?....who knows....but i DO know that these were some that that i jammed to constantly back in them-there 80s....(ah the memories)...

Talking Heads:
'Fear Of Music" & "Remain In The Light"
(these two got worn the eff OUT back then! still hold up well today especially when cranked UP)

Depeche Mode:
"Some Great Reward"
(man you talk about worn OUT? i KNOW i had MULTIPLE cassettes of this album due, i'm sure, to being over played in my walkman)

Thomas Dolby:
'The Flat Earth'
(ahh THIS was my record right here. i remember this one surprised me quite a bit when i initially heard it back then. It qualifies as New Wave right? Even though, now that i think about it, one of my favorite songs on the record ('I Scare Myself') is totally the OPPOSITE of New Wave (and its 'TOTALLY awesome' to speak in new-wavian era lingo)...but i also love the rest of the album from start to finish, and i think most of that falls into New Wave turf...so yeah this one's a must have in my book too)

Elvis Costello:
"Imperial Bedroom"
Agan, i dont know if i know what New Wave is, but somewhere sometime ago i thought i heard someone throw ECs name in as one of the rush of "New Wave" acts that became popular stateside in the 80s? if so, this was one of his that i spun most. GREAT sounding record...excellently produced. loved it then, love it still. Is it New Wave or not? who knows?

Prince:
'Dirty Mind' & "Controversy"
(hell YEAH these qualify as New Wave dammit! Obviously they ALSO qualify in MULTIPLE genre's...cuz that's how Prince rolled back then dammit! ...but to me, these two ALSO had some New Wave-i-ness all up in there in the mix too. So yup, they count in my book...

ahh the early 80's, known a lot for it's neon glossy, often cheesy, often disposable, video driven music...and often justifiably so...but there was ALSO some damn great & creative shit being put out at the same time too...

�
have you listened to
her stuff?
v

http://www.meshell.com/site/
https://www.facebook.com/officialmeshell?fref=ts
http://www.freemyheart.com

RIP David Williams:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Williams_(guitarist)

Abstract_TheEclectic_Nubian
Member since Sep 07th 2002
5966 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 12:31 PM

10. "Can't forget Gary Numan- The Pleasure Principle"
In response to Reply # 0

I think It was released in 79' but its a cornerstone for all things new wave. A must have in your collection.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

www.last.fm/user/Tha_Abstract

Tycredo
Member since Oct 06th 2012
366 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 07:45 PM

11. "Depending on your definition of New Wave..."
In response to Reply # 0

The first three Police albums
The first three Clash albums
The first three Devo Albums

Voodoochilde
Charter member
3438 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 10:32 PM

13. "how could i forget about the Police????"
In response to Reply # 11

yeah, they were in constant cassette 'play' mode....must haves for sure.

blueeclipse
Member since Apr 12th 2009
1855 posts
Sun Dec-22-13 09:30 PM

12. "Love me some New Wave....some of my favs:"
In response to Reply # 0

I look at New Wave music as alternative groove music. There's always a backdrop of rhythm and melody and a whole mashup of different genre's from rock to funk to punk. The great thing about this genre though is it's so varied and so interesting. Each band was really in their own wheelhouse and that's more than I can say for a lot of period music genre's.

The Cars - The Cars: One of the most quintessential New Wave albums. The album is FUCKIN FUN. Some New Wave tended to get a little too detached at times......but not here. Man this shit jams.

Blondie - Parallel Lines: Once again......fun. This was much more groundbreaking than people give it credit for too.

David Bowie - Scary Monsters: Yes this counts. The last really interesting album by Bowie before his 80's slide.

Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair: Everyone big ups The Hurting and rightfully so but we all know damn well this is the Tears for Fears albums that most of us reach for.

The Police - Reggatta de Blanc: New Wave/Reggae = jams.

Talking Heads - Fear of Music: This shit still blows my mind. Some of the most interesting sounds and rhythms that you will ever hear. This is hypnotizing music.

The B-52's - The B-52's - YES. So groovy. A party record if there ever was one.

jaywonder
Member since Jun 05th 2007
8431 posts
Mon Dec-23-13 02:16 AM

14. "Yazoo/Yaz- Upstairs At Eric's"
In response to Reply # 0

http://boundless-expression.tumblr.com/

http://themichaeljacksonarchives.tumblr.com/

cyrus
Charter member
1006 posts
Mon Dec-23-13 02:31 PM

15. "RE: Yazoo/Yaz- Upstairs At Eric's"
In response to Reply # 14

YES!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2862421 Previous topic | Next topic