Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2861781

Subject: "DJ Whoo Kid recalls the time Big Pun kidnapped him *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Mon Dec-16-13 06:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DJ Whoo Kid recalls the time Big Pun kidnapped him *swipe*"

Nahright did a very interesting (albeit long) feature on DJ Whoo Kid where he discusses the mixtape game of the '90s and early aughts. It's really cool hearing him describe how him, Clue and Envy would go about getting their exclusives and also just how illegal the whole mixtape game was (is?).

I won't swipe the whole thing but the link is at the bottom if you want to check it out.

Without further ado, the story of Big Pun kidnapping DJ Whoo Kid:

Getting Kidnapped by Big Pun

“I played the original version of (Sauce Money’s) ‘Middle Finger U’ on a tape. On the song, Sauce Money was killing Big Pun, because at the time I think Big Pun had beef with Jay Z. His peoples supposedly hit Jay with a bottle in the club or some shit. But Jay never retaliated or did a record. I think I got it from Envy and them, but they didn’t want to play it because they knew Pun. But I didn’t know how real it was, because I wasn’t out there like that. So I was like, ‘Give it to me, I’ll play it.’

“That record I think was going at Pun. But I made it look like like that, too. Everything was ‘vs.’ I had Nas vs. Cormega. This nigga vs. that nigga. And the cool thing about it was Clue was with Beanie Sigel and all those Philly cats at the time. So it looked like he wasn’t repping Queens like that. So I hung out with Mobb Deep, and LL Cool J, and made sure I knew all the Queens guys. And the cool thing about hanging out with them is I would (hear about all the beefs). So if Nas did a record dissing this guy, I’d call Cormega, like, ‘Yo man, I just heard, Nas is killing you, son.’ So then Cormega would run and do a record dissing him. Then I’d have both, and put ‘vs.’ I did that with everybody. I’d be like, ‘Yo, yeah nigga I was in the studio, God. This shit is crazy.’ They’d be like, ‘What?! I’m going in right now. I’m gonna kill this nigga.’ Then (they’d do the diss record and) be like, ‘Play this Whoo Kid.’ So I’d have all the beef joints.

“The fucked up shit is, there were no ill photos of Pun at that time. There were no ill head shots. So when I went to do the cover, the only photo I had of Pun was him laying back on a chair looking crazy with his gut out. So he was kind of pissed about that, too. But the thing was, he didn’t know who I was to catch me. So he finally got the number off the tape.

“So, I did some free party with (Funkmaster) Flex in Queens. And Pun acted like he was gonna book me for somewhere in Harlem and pay me $1,000. It was Pun actually talking to me, but I didn’t know. I thought the breathing was kind of weird, but I didn’t know it was Pun. He was like, ‘Yeah, we got this show with Flex and Big Kap. You and Kap are gonna kill it. Where you wanna meet?’ So I was like, ‘Holy shit,’ because I was getting like $150 to $300 to DJ at that time. So I said, ‘Don’t call my manager. I’m gonna come out to the Apollo to meet you, and I’ll DJ your show.’

“So I called my boy who had a gun to come with me. And I had the Honda Accord with the lights that come up. I had a super-wack whip. So we’re waiting for the guy to come meet me. I get out to use the payphone to call the number that called me, and I’m like, ‘Motherfucker, where the fuck you at?!’ I thought it was a promoter, and I would yell at promoters. I had no respect for promoters. So I’m like, ‘Fuck you, nigga. You better hurry the fuck up! We’ve been waiting out here all day.’ So Pun was probably like, ‘Yo, who the fuck is this guy?!?!’ Let’s get everybody!!’

“Pun was doing the ‘Banned From TV’ video that day. And this was before I was DJing for N.O.R.E. So Pun played the (Sauce Money) record off the tape at the video shoot, and had everybody from ‘Banned From TV’ surrounding him listening to it. So he was like, ‘Yo, we’re gonna get this nigga today. I wanna hurry up and finish this video so I can go get this nigga.’ N.O.R.E. was telling me they were all like, ‘I hope it ain’t Clue. I think this might be Clue.’ So Pun finishes the ‘Banned From TV’ video and goes to meet me at the Apollo.

“So I’m in the car, and I see a Benz (pull up). I’m like, ‘Oh shit, this guy’s got the paper!’ And my friends are in the car going crazy and shit. So I get out, and some Puerto Rican kid in the car is like, ‘Whooo Kiiiid,’ and does my shout. And I’m like, ‘Damn, Flex be hanging with Puerto Ricans?’ So he’s like, ‘Nah, follow me (Uptown), and we’ll do the business there.’ So I’m like, ‘Aiight, I’ll follow you, kid,’ because it was an ill Benz. So I was like, ‘This guy means business.’

“So I get there, and the road was like one of those project joints with the circle, where you can go left or right. So the way they mapped it out is they went to the right, and I had to park to the left. But there was a van in the middle. And the van in the middle had rims, and you could tell it had a big screen on the inside. So I was like, ‘Oh, Flex is here! I’m gonna go talk to Flex, God!’ You know, because Flex had the car shit he was promoting. So I told my boys to chill, like, ‘I’m gonna get this money, then we’ll go get some weed.’ So everybody’s happy, because they just wanted some weed anyway. They just came for that.

“So I get out, and there’s a Puerto Rican outside all happy, then another Puerto Rican sitting on the bench. And I’m like, ‘Flex got Puerto Ricans all over?’ I wasn’t even thinking about Pun or nothing, until I went around the van. And the way they parked, the van blocked my friends from seeing me. So my friends are in the car chilling, bullshitting or whatever.

“So the door starts sliding, and I see this big shadow in the car. And I’m like, ‘Yo, I didn’t know Flex was fucking fat like that. Is that Big Kap?’ And once I saw Pun, the mixtape came into my head, and I was like, ‘Holy shit. I don’t believe this shit.’ So Pun’s like, ‘Come inside. Let me have a chat with you.’ And I’m like, ‘Hell no!’ So I tried to back up, but I had to go far so my friends could see I was in trouble. And as I was backing up, my hands went down. And when my hands went down, Pun had an Uzi. I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, I was in the van. That’s how fast they threw me in the van.

“So I’m like, ‘What the fuck! I’m gonna die for a fucking song!’ I’m screaming, like, ‘Yo, are you serious!?’ They had me on my knees, and his boys were yelling in Spanish, ‘Callate la boca,’ and all this crazy shit. So Pun is like, ‘Come here and sit next to me.’ But there was nowhere to sit, because he was taking up the whole shit. So I go to get up, and the tape with him on the cover falls out of my pocket. So his boys are screaming in Spanish, and I’m like, ‘I’m gonna fucking die!’

“So Pun kicks his boy out, and he explained that the Latin Kings were laughing at him because of the tape. It was everywhere. It was at Beat Street, which is shut down now, all over the Bronx. It was (not just because of the picture on the cover) but because of the song. He was like, ‘You’re making me look crazy out here because I didn’t respond yet. The Latin Kings are laughing me, like, ‘Who is this Whoo Kid guy? Does he have no respect for you?’’ So I’m like, ‘Do I look like a gangbanger or some shit?’ And he’s like, ‘I’m starting to figure that out right now. I’m gonna go to Roc-A-Fella and handle all this bullshit, like, tomorrow. And on the intro to your next tape, I want you to be like, ‘Fuck Jay Z, fuck (Sauce Money).’ I was like, ‘Whatever, just let me outta here!’ (Laughs.) That was my first reality check with anything that has to do with gangsterism in hip-hop. Some people are fake, but some people are real.”

“I kept stealing shit after (the Big Pun incident), because of that adrenaline rush. Once you get past a life-threatening situation, then (you have no fear). All of a sudden I was DJing for CNN, even though N.O.R.E. was like, ‘I wanted to fuckin’ kill you because you had mad shit of mine.’ Like 50, he was beating motherfuckers up, throwing DJs, ripping their clothes off on the Ave., making them walk naked. It was some real shit back then. Even Clue was like, ‘They want to kill me this year, but next year they want hang with me.’ So you just gotta take risks. I had mad Jay Z shit, mad Nas shit.

“Once I bought my Benz, I quit my job working security at the airport. I was saving, living with my parents, but then I was like, ‘Fuck that job shit.’ You know, all a nigga need is a whip.”

http://nahright.com/news/mixtape-memories-with-dj-whoo-kid-part-1/

mind
--------
matter

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Most charmingly innocent-sounding story involving an uzi & death threats
Dec 17th 2013
^^^witnessed it from his folks pad
Dec 17th 2013
      What the hell?
Dec 21st 2013
           clearly
Dec 21st 2013
reveals so much abt the complete lack of anything like sense
Dec 17th 2013
you assume he paid full price for it
Dec 17th 2013
      lol, your blind alleigance got you caping for wack ass dj whoo kid
Dec 17th 2013
      you're a cornball
Dec 20th 2013
           im convinced if i did grow up in "the hood" i still woulda been corny
Dec 21st 2013
                Here is the only thing I got from all that:
Dec 21st 2013
                     im a human being
Dec 21st 2013
      I've never seen something so trivial this hyperanalyzed in my life
Dec 17th 2013
Pun seems like he was a very shitty human being
Dec 17th 2013
yea by all accounts Pun was a shitty human being
Dec 17th 2013
this type of 'dumb ganagster shit' started hip-hop
Dec 17th 2013
excuses, excuses...
Dec 17th 2013
      people have this crazy belief that Bam made shit flower power
Dec 17th 2013
           so all that love, peace, unity & having fun was just a lie
Dec 17th 2013
           bye n/m
Dec 17th 2013
           famous last words of the apologist
Dec 17th 2013
           it's not hypocrisy, its the complexity of the total black experience
Dec 17th 2013
                so i guess if a black man doesn't fit a Nas rap line he's not truly...
Dec 17th 2013
                     1. You just put a gang of words in my mouth.
Dec 17th 2013
                          you did a much better job at this than icvmspl
Dec 17th 2013
                               RE: you did a much better job at this than icvmspl
Dec 17th 2013
                               i guess part of it is also a feeling that the street shit taking over..
Dec 17th 2013
                                    RE: i guess part of it is also a feeling that the street shit taking ove...
Dec 17th 2013
                               You don't do a very good job of presenting your arguments in a way
Dec 17th 2013
           why waste your time. Phil internet aggy and shit
Dec 20th 2013
I can't stop laughing.
Dec 21st 2013
      that's a reference to a line from a movie
Dec 21st 2013
wow I never knew that song was about Pun
Dec 17th 2013
I'm sorry but this is some bitch shit right here
Dec 17th 2013
people forget these nghs is artists tho
Dec 17th 2013
lol @ a late 90's mixtape DJ being an "artist"
Dec 17th 2013
It's still a creative undertaking.
Dec 19th 2013
Who's an artists?
Dec 17th 2013
      oh my damn this was funny
Dec 18th 2013
dumb. mix tape DJs launched careers and created the kind of buzz
Dec 17th 2013
      You need not respond to me
Dec 20th 2013
This article was great
Dec 17th 2013
why were NY rappers so sensitive?
Dec 17th 2013
It's where hip-hop was born. It's just a much more competitive space.
Dec 17th 2013
      too bad all the competition leads to shitty music in 2013
Dec 17th 2013
           sigh... our conversation meant nothing, did it?
Dec 17th 2013
                nah, man, i appreciate your viewpoint
Dec 17th 2013
                thuggery is a very very large aspect of hiphop culture everywhere
Dec 17th 2013
                     i know this
Dec 17th 2013
                          RE: i know this
Dec 17th 2013
                Don't sweat it man...lol
Dec 17th 2013
                     dick >>> swallower
Dec 17th 2013
                          Doesnt quoting Kanye = swallowing?
Dec 17th 2013
                               no, esp. cause im a known kanye hater
Dec 17th 2013
fuck Whoo Kid. culture vulture ass nigga.
Dec 17th 2013
RE: great article...whoo kid has a pretty amzg story.
Dec 17th 2013
Whoo Kid is a damn idiot
Dec 18th 2013
The time he almost had a fist fight with DJ Kay Slay *swipe*
Dec 20th 2013
Game's homies told me they almost jacked Whoo Kid, on some
Dec 20th 2013
LOL
Dec 20th 2013
I never knew DJ Whoo kid was such a hilarious guy.
Dec 21st 2013
LMBAO @ dis shit right here:
Dec 21st 2013

Bombastic
Charter member
88874 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 01:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Most charmingly innocent-sounding story involving an uzi & death threats"
In response to Reply # 0

that I will probably ever read.

That brought on such waves of nostalgia for the silly moments of younger, simpler times that by the end the Kevin Arnold voiceover dude might as well have been reading it inside my head.

Thanks for that.

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 09:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "^^^witnessed it from his folks pad"
In response to Reply # 1

denny
Member since Apr 11th 2008
11281 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:13 AM

53. "What the hell?"
In response to Reply # 4

Goddamn you make me mad bro.

It's cause usually I got mad love for jazz cats...but then I also think you really need to think about what you got mad love for....cause that shit is basically killing little non-american babies all over the world and here you are....all proud and got mad love for killing babies. That's on you bro.

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 10:02 AM

60. "clearly"
In response to Reply # 53

>Goddamn you make me mad bro.
>
>It's cause usually I got mad love for jazz cats...but then I
>also think you really need to think about what you got mad
>love for....cause that shit is basically killing little
>non-american babies all over the world and here you are....all
>proud and got mad love for killing babies. That's on you
>bro.

the fuck?

Binlahab
Charter member
182954 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 09:07 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "reveals so much abt the complete lack of anything like sense"
In response to Reply # 0

of so many of us

dude was like i bought a benz, fuck a job & saving

smh

does it even matter?

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:33 AM

8. "you assume he paid full price for it"
In response to Reply # 2

trivial i know but at the same time you also threw your own values on it. one of the things about this era was cash sale car hustles were major. that's why everyone had whips in ny. everybody's cousin had the hook up on a car lot. then nobody kept them so you could pick em up for cash via the buy and sell. so in that context you can't really see it as a benz but the right accessory for the career path he was taking.

he didn't say fuck a job, he had a job - djing. and it was paying him enough to maintain his reputation and continue to get paid without needing a second job.

you also don't know what his savings plan was.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:37 AM

10. "lol, your blind alleigance got you caping for wack ass dj whoo kid"
In response to Reply # 8

classic

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 10:12 PM

50. "you're a cornball"
In response to Reply # 10

you're upset you never lived in the hood huh. not in LA, NY, the D, Chi or ATL huh. that you never got in a fist fight, or stole cans, were arrested, been around or shot guns, jumped or been jumped by crazy ass teens

so those of us who do have those experiences (and are more than likely squares with careers and kids at this point) make you furious

you're a fucn weirdo. never change

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:38 AM

55. "im convinced if i did grow up in "the hood" i still woulda been corny"
In response to Reply # 50
Sat Dec-21-13 08:52 AM by philpot

maybe that's why i watched Juice so much as a teen

still woulda been the guy everyone clowned & had issues

shit, i was the guy all the rich white kids in my suburb ganged up on & clowned

then i moved & for years spent most of my time inside the house

i was never popular

i went to college, tried to be the cool white hip-hop guy, #fail

okp thinks im lame

im not popular at work

story of my life

my girl is HS was bangin tho *shrug*

edit: i have been arrested, street cred +8 pts

denny
11281 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:54 AM

58. "Here is the only thing I got from all that:"
In response to Reply # 55

You are insufferable.

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 09:21 AM

59. "im a human being "
In response to Reply # 58
Sat Dec-21-13 09:22 AM by philpot

but i love myself & i am loved by other ppl...ppl who matter

so your opinion is irrelevant to me & says more about you than me

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:51 PM

24. "I've never seen something so trivial this hyperanalyzed in my life"
In response to Reply # 8

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 09:21 AM

3. "Pun seems like he was a very shitty human being"
In response to Reply # 0

also, this is the type of dumb gangster bullshit that destroyed NYC rap

a creative movement was usurped by criminals

the black man built the freshest art known to man & these assholes ruined it

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "yea by all accounts Pun was a shitty human being "
In response to Reply # 3

but who are we to judge

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:26 AM

7. "this type of 'dumb ganagster shit' started hip-hop"
In response to Reply # 3

And despite it, you notice how Pun kept it completely real. He recognized WhooKid wasn't about that life, and treated him as such. He actually didn't do the dumb gangster shit.

He even expressed his direct motivations which was pressure from the Kings. A large part of the respect they had was by being peace with the kings, both in the industry and on the block. In essence his livlihood if not his life was at risk.

Now you can look from the outside and see all of the different ways that it could have been dealt with differently, but your opinions don't negate the fact that this was the environment at the time. Whoo Kid even gives the context that this was happening to DJ's all over.

This life which you despise was born more out of circumstance than choice. If you can't understand that you really shouldn't comment on the matter.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:36 AM

9. "excuses, excuses..."
In response to Reply # 7
Tue Dec-17-13 10:39 AM by philpot

your problem might be that the perspective from "outside" is actually more clear

particularly when one has a genuine love of the art regardless of the baseless accusations and convoluted allegiances of the "illuminated"

criminals, thugs & gangsters destroyed hip-hop ... the street became more important than the art ... originally the art was an escape from gangster bullshit, then it was consumed, pimped & turned out by the thugs of 2 decades later

sorry for telling the truth, sometimes u gotta speak it to power

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:47 AM

11. "people have this crazy belief that Bam made shit flower power"
In response to Reply # 9

niggaz was still getting robbed. niggaz was still getting shot. all of this was happening at the block party. all of this still happened in the club. hip-hop was born out of these circumstances and gave us another outlet but it didn't stop shit. that shit never stopped. hip-hop wasn't powerful enough to actually deal with these circumstances. just because you sat on the outside and listened to a rapper with a positive message which was anti all the thug shit doesn't mean they were presenting a viable reality. that shit was never a viable reality until hip-hop did more than just affect the socio but also the politico which enabled these circumstances. TO. THIS. FUCKING. DAY. good for you for liking the art but you don't know shit about the life it sprung from.

and yes i'm mad. and no i'm not making excuses, i'm just saying until you solve the problem shut the fuck up and be glad some of us made it out because a lot of folk didn't over dumb gangster shit which they had no fucking choice about.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:51 AM

13. "so all that love, peace, unity & having fun was just a lie"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Dec-17-13 10:54 AM by philpot

told to sell outsider lames like me on an inherently criminal culture?

i think that may delegitimize the art more than anything ive ever heard in my life

congrats

hip-hopcrisy from day one

it's why the art died & its reanimated corpse has no soul or heart i guess

*shrug*

edit: lol at asking me to solve a problem that hip-hop blood suckers live off of ...talking shit to me, hiding these gangsters who would rape the dead corpse of hip-hop for a nickel behind your oh so misguided cape

imcvspl
42239 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:58 AM

14. "bye n/m"
In response to Reply # 13

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 11:07 AM

15. "famous last words of the apologist"
In response to Reply # 14

the_time_is_when_god...lounge
Member since Nov 19th 2012
5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:00 PM

18. "it's not hypocrisy, its the complexity of the total black experience"
In response to Reply # 13

Make sure he a thug and intelligent too, like a real thorough bread is (c) Nas

--------
Twitter: _TheloniousFunk
Instagram: thelonious_funk_

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:04 PM

20. "so i guess if a black man doesn't fit a Nas rap line he's not truly..."
In response to Reply # 18

a black man

this is what im talking about when i talk about rap fascism

yall on that Marlo "its the other way" shit...Marlo was a piece of shit, idgaf how he became Marlo, i want that fucker away from me & mine

also one of the craziest things is seeing grown folks quote rap lines like they're biblical truths or some shit, it's hilarious in a sad way

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:29 PM

21. "1. You just put a gang of words in my mouth. "
In response to Reply # 20

2. This is proof that no matter how much you get it...you don't GET IT

>a black man
>
>this is what im talking about when i talk about rap fascism

nah, that's not what I said at all. I simply said that there are major complexities within the entire black experience and situations like the one that you've been discussing highlights that. Not all black people encounter the entire black experience. Some niggas are middle class. Some niggas are righteous. Some are gangsta...but the sum of all parts = the total experience. Many of the huge drug dealers in the 80s on the east coast repped the 5% nation. That doesn't make the 5% nation fraudulent. That just means that the mean are flawed, but as a nigga who grew up understanding my culture..I see how a nigga with righteous concepts turns into something sinister or criminal. Pun is one of the greatest emcees ever, bar none.

>yall on that Marlo "its the other way" shit...Marlo was a
>piece of shit, idgaf how he became Marlo, i want that fucker
>away from me & mine

uhhh...alright.

>also one of the craziest things is seeing grown folks quote
>rap lines like they're biblical truths or some shit, it's
>hilarious in a sad way

^^^This is the putting words in my mouth thing. I quoted that shit to prove a point, not because it is a gospel. I'm not trying to be a thug, and i'm not teaching my sons that. Got nothing to do with rap lines being biblical truths...the fact that you even see it as such proves the gap between learning and living.

and I like you, Phil. You are on point a lot...but like what is your premise? You refer to 'yall' as it pertains to us being the gatekeepers of hip hop culture, and you love hip hop culture, yet you have all these criticisms about how we handle our culture, as if you understand all of the elements in which hip hop was generated. Well, you don't. You make that clear when you try to apply these linear concepts to right and wrong-ing the culture and people's approach to it.

Are you trying to be fucking Wilson the neighbor and you are going to tell Tim Taylor how he is doing him the wrong way? Thing is, we ain't coming to you for advice, b.

--------

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:42 PM

23. "you did a much better job at this than icvmspl"
In response to Reply # 21

i still don't like the end result of the street influence on the art, thats my choice & there are artists that talk about that life that i enjoy bc the way they talk about it is more balanced & honest than all the superthug bullshit

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:56 PM

26. "RE: you did a much better job at this than icvmspl"
In response to Reply # 23

I respect that, but to hold the standard that these guys from these places should separate the art and the life is ridiculous. 99% of the black (not just rap) music you like is a direct response to the circumstances in which we live. As humans, we just react to it differently. I guarantee Talib Kweli knows as many dead and in jail niggas as Raekwon. Their interpretation is different, and so they make different music. That shit ain't ever gonna change.

and sometimes....sometimes...the superthug bullshit is not just bullshit. As evidenced by the story above

--------

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 01:06 PM

27. "i guess part of it is also a feeling that the street shit taking over.."
In response to Reply # 26

rap in some way bullied other views or other takes into submission

it made street status or affiliations or stories more important than the music

this article illustrates that as it seems that cats were concerned about every damn thing but the culture, beef was more important than anything else as far as promoting your "art"

the whole tunnel crowd kinda became the cool kids & took over NY even tho a lot of the music was trash

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 01:23 PM

29. "RE: i guess part of it is also a feeling that the street shit taking ove..."
In response to Reply # 27

>rap in some way bullied other views or other takes into
>submission

That was part business, too..but like I said earlier, the culture understands its own totality so it was natural for the righteous to sorta give way to the gangsta to an extent.

>it made street status or affiliations or stories more
>important than the music

The industry is largely responsible for this.

>this article illustrates that as it seems that cats were
>concerned about every damn thing but the culture, beef was
>more important than anything else as far as promoting your
>"art"

Industry.

>the whole tunnel crowd kinda became the cool kids & took over
>NY even tho a lot of the music was trash

I think the battle vs beef lines getting blurry had a lot to do with this.

--------

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:20 PM

32. "You don't do a very good job of presenting your arguments in a way"
In response to Reply # 23

>i still don't like the end result of the street influence on
>the art, thats my choice & there are artists that talk about
>that life that i enjoy bc the way they talk about it is more
>balanced & honest than all the superthug bullshit

that stimulates dialogue. A lot of times you come across angry and overzealous. In this case not only are you angry and overzealous, but you're an outsider. I can see why imcvspl decided he didn't have any more time for you.

Lately I've had the strangest feeling.... that you were GOOOONNNNEEEE

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 10:15 PM

51. "why waste your time. Phil internet aggy and shit"
In response to Reply # 11

can't calm his white privilege down for one self-reflective fucn minute

denny
11281 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:21 AM

54. "I can't stop laughing."
In response to Reply # 3

This dude just described a bunch of black artists as 'the black man' sounding like Louis Farrakhan or something.

philpot
21673 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:42 AM

56. "that's a reference to a line from a movie "
In response to Reply # 54

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "wow I never knew that song was about Pun "
In response to Reply # 0

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 10:48 AM

12. "I'm sorry but this is some bitch shit right here"
In response to Reply # 0

>“That record I think was going at Pun. But I made it look like
>like that, too. Everything was ‘vs.’ I had Nas vs. Cormega.
>This nigga vs. that nigga. And the cool thing about it was
>Clue was with Beanie Sigel and all those Philly cats at the
>time. So it looked like he wasn’t repping Queens like that. So
>I hung out with Mobb Deep, and LL Cool J, and made sure I knew
>all the Queens guys. And the cool thing about hanging out with
>them is I would (hear about all the beefs). So if Nas did a
>record dissing this guy, I’d call Cormega, like, ‘Yo man, I
>just heard, Nas is killing you, son.’ So then Cormega would
>run and do a record dissing him. Then I’d have both, and put
>‘vs.’ I did that with everybody. I’d be like, ‘Yo, yeah nigga
>I was in the studio, God. This shit is crazy.’ They’d be like,
>‘What?! I’m going in right now. I’m gonna kill this nigga.’
>Then (they’d do the diss record and) be like, ‘Play this Whoo
>Kid.’ So I’d have all the beef joints.

That's the reason I have trouble respecting these DJs. Those don't actually do shit but hide behind a microphone, put on a fake act and make real bitch moves like that.

And they all seem like the dude in high school that did anything just so they could e around the popular crowd. Like the dude that's always in the mix and no one knows why and no one even likes him. Lol

hardware
Member since May 22nd 2007
42304 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 11:32 AM

16. "people forget these nghs is artists tho"
In response to Reply # 12

idk why people be surprised when somebody in hip-hop aint really a gangster

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 11:39 AM

17. "lol @ a late 90's mixtape DJ being an "artist""
In response to Reply # 16

thats the funniest shit ive heard in a long time

Adwhizz
Member since Nov 12th 2003
40925 posts
Thu Dec-19-13 08:02 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
46. "It's still a creative undertaking."
In response to Reply # 17

It takes a good deal of work, and thought in putting together a widely distributed mixtape.

Although now that I think about it that's more of being a good producer/business man as opposed to actual artistry. That's only assuming we're talking about DJ who didn't actually produce any of the tracks/ come up with the theme of the tape.

R.I.P. Loud But Wrong Guy
Dec 29th 2009 - Dec 17th 2017

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:38 PM

22. "Who's an artists?"
In response to Reply # 16

Dudes like DJ Khaled who has an album called "Suffering From Success" (looking like a fucking fool on the cover when he doesn't even rap or produce?

They're artists?

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 08:56 PM

44. "oh my damn this was funny"
In response to Reply # 22

>(looking like a fucking fool on the cover

I was having a shitty day and I needed that laugh, thanks Nonny

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

southphillyman
Member since Oct 22nd 2003
90059 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 07:12 PM

43. "dumb. mix tape DJs launched careers and created the kind of buzz"
In response to Reply # 12

that enabled some of these rappers to sell boatloads in the late 90s/early 2000s
like Clue said they went from getting beat up to having rappers trying to hang with them
they created a market that ppl could eat off
artists like 50 and the lox might not have had the careers they had if ppl weren't fiending for their stolen freestyles and battle raps
lol @ them not doing anything. they did a better job than label execs promoting artists in the late 90s nitwit.

>That's the reason I have trouble respecting these DJs. Those
>don't actually do shit but hide behind a microphone, put on a
>fake act and make real bitch moves like that.

~~~~~~

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 08:11 PM

49. "You need not respond to me"
In response to Reply # 43

>that enabled some of these rappers to sell boatloads in the
>late 90s/early 2000s
>like Clue said they went from getting beat up to having
>rappers trying to hang with them
>they created a market that ppl could eat off
>artists like 50 and the lox might not have had the careers
>they had if ppl weren't fiending for their stolen freestyles
>and battle raps
>lol @ them not doing anything. they did a better job than
>label execs promoting artists in the late 90s nitwit.
>
>

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:02 PM

19. "This article was great"
In response to Reply # 0

Rest of it about him teaming up with 50 and stealing Biggie/2Pac exclusives was really good too

These guys weren't artists in any real sense but they were hustlers satisfying a very real demand for new rap music

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 12:53 PM

25. "why were NY rappers so sensitive?"
In response to Reply # 0

like even as recently as the Kendrick shit, the paltry few that were left took his KONY claim took it real personal

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 01:57 PM

30. "It's where hip-hop was born. It's just a much more competitive space."
In response to Reply # 25

>like even as recently as the Kendrick shit, the paltry few
>that were left took his KONY claim took it real personal

The scene has never been monolithic. BK and Harlem don't rock, BK and Harlem never fully respected Queens and LI, Queensbridge never had unity , none other boroughs pay homage to the BX which is where it all started etc....

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:01 PM

31. "too bad all the competition leads to shitty music in 2013"
In response to Reply # 30

and for most of the last 15 years

its pretty stunning how hard NY fell off when they were at one time center of the hip-hop world

& frankly they did it to themselves by devolving into thuggery & following

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:20 PM

33. "sigh... our conversation meant nothing, did it? "
In response to Reply # 31

--------

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:36 PM

34. "nah, man, i appreciate your viewpoint"
In response to Reply # 33

but im not ready to give up on mine

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:52 PM

37. "thuggery is a very very large aspect of hiphop culture everywhere"
In response to Reply # 34

not just the east coast.

--------

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 04:59 PM

41. "i know this"
In response to Reply # 37

is it an essential element?

is there a proper balance between it & other things?

can hip-hop evolve & put its negative elements in context?

these are questions i dont have answers for

5495 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 06:05 PM

42. "RE: i know this"
In response to Reply # 41

>is it an essential element?

Is is a large element of the culture that hiphop derives from? If so, then yes. Not saying that every rapper has to be gangsta of some sort, but 99.8% of rappers will articulate their position in the matter whether it be exaggeration or fabricated...that or you are childish gambino.

>is there a proper balance between it & other things?

I think there is. Except on a mainstream media level, but that is a business thing.

>can hip-hop evolve & put its negative elements in context?

The only way I think hiphop needs to evolve is that it needs to take control of its own business and media..which will never totally happen

>
>these are questions i dont have answers for

dont worry, I got you.

--------

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:38 PM

35. "Don't sweat it man...lol"
In response to Reply # 33

Talking to Phil on hip-hop has become as bad as talking to Maxxx about R Kelly.

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 02:40 PM

36. "dick >>> swallower"
In response to Reply # 35

& by swallower i mean Max, not yall

Anonymous
Charter member
23225 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 03:08 PM

38. "Doesnt quoting Kanye = swallowing?"
In response to Reply # 36

Honest question

philpot
21673 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 04:57 PM

40. "no, esp. cause im a known kanye hater"
In response to Reply # 38

a broken clock is right twice a day & all that

MISTA MONOTONE
Member since Jan 30th 2004
58563 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 01:20 PM

28. "fuck Whoo Kid. culture vulture ass nigga."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------------------------------
latest mixtape:
https://www.mixcloud.com/mistamonotone/music-to-smack-motherfckers-to/

mistamonotone - taboo
http://mistamonotone.bandcamp.com/album/taboo

@mistamonotone
IG: mistamonotone

mikediggz
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
10136 posts
Tue Dec-17-13 04:28 PM

39. "RE: great article...whoo kid has a pretty amzg story."
In response to Reply # 0

its always cool to hear comeup stories from the old days that tell u how ppl became the artist etc that they are today...nigga said Fif was a real problem lol

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Wed Dec-18-13 08:59 PM

45. "Whoo Kid is a damn idiot"
In response to Reply # 0

you can tell by the quotes he's not that bright on life shit

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 05:01 PM

47. "The time he almost had a fist fight with DJ Kay Slay *swipe*"
In response to Reply # 0

Part 2 of the interview dropped. Again, not posting this whole thing but the link is at the bottom:

Beef with DJ Kay Slay

“I had beef with Kay Slay. He did a record dissing me and my baby moms. The shit is hilarious. My boy Splash who used to get me songs, he used to get me mad DATs. He’s Envy’s boy. Kay Slay hated him. He wanted to kill Envy and Splash forever. So Splash gave me a pile of songs and skits. So I heard a Raekwon (skit), like, ‘Yo Raekwon’s dissing Irv Gotti? That’s crazy.’ And I put it on an intro (to one of my tapes). But I didn’t know (it came from one) of Kay Slay’s tape.

“I was big and popular at this time or whatever, so I really went to Japan, (unlike my previous lies I was telling Def Jam to get free records). I wasn’t lying, I went to Japan for the first time for a week (with my baby mom). So I come back, and I think Kay Slay was trying to find me because I put the Raekwon shit on the intro, but he thought I was ignoring him. At that time, you weren’t supposed to steal other people’s shit. And it looked like I stole his skit. But I didn’t even know. People were texting me, and I was like, ‘What are y’all talking about?’

“So Kay Slay did a record (dissing me). He rapped and everything. It was hilarious. He killed me and my baby mom on there. Everyone knew who she was because she went through all the mixtape spots with me. So I called Cam’ron, and had Cam’ron do some weird shit. I made it look like Cam’ron was dissing Kay Slay. And Cam’ron’s from Harlem saying ‘Whoo Kid.’ Kay Slay went crazy, yo! He wanted to kill me, son!

“He knew that I had to pick up my money from this corner store in Harlem, so I’m over here, like, ‘Oh shit, this looks kinda weird. I think I’m about to get set up.’ So I get out, and all of a sudden, Kay Slay pops out of nowhere. And I had my boy with me, too, but my boy didn’t have nothing on him. So Kay Slay got this old, grimy dude, who looked like he had something. And Kay Slay’s like, ‘Yo, man, 101, you’re gonna try to play me?’ And I’m like, ‘Yo, I didn’t even do anything! This is crazy! This is a misunderstanding, yo!’

“I tried to joke with him like, ‘Yo, I got this new Polo and shit. I’m not trying to fuck up my Polo right now. Why don’t we save this for another day?’ And he paused for a second, and he’s like, ‘Nah, we fighting right now, man!’ And he starts taking off his coat.

“So my boy, he put his hand in his pocket like he had something. And Slay’s like, ‘Yo, my boy got something right now, too. You wanna do it like that? I just wanna do 101.’ I’m like, ‘Yo, man. I just got this new outfit. I am not fighting right now. I’m not fucking up this outfit, God.’ And he’s like, ‘You fuckin’ pussy. You’re an asshole, man.’ He kept calling me names. But I think after a while he was like, ‘Yo, this guy’s a fuckin’ dickhead.’ I don’t even remember how it ended. There was a stare down, and my boy had nothing but underwears on. He didn’t have a gun or nothing, he just had his hand in his pants like he had one. So I got in my Benz, and him and his boy got in his Jeep or whatever, and they just drove off.

“It’s funny, because at Chris Lighty’s funeral, I saw Kay Slay. And I was like, ‘Yo, remember my baby moms?’ It was hilarious. He felt kind of bad, but it was funny. Me and him are like the coolest of cool now. We probably look back at that shit like it could’ve went really bad. (We were about to fight each other over) a mixtape that’s not even legal. To this day, Kay Slay probably thinks I’m the weirdest motherfucker out on the planet. And we’re like best friends.

“If you look back at a lot of events, like dude from Clue’s crew who got killed over mixtape shit, (it was serious back then). But now, no one’s making money off mixtapes—$30,000, $50,000. It’s bullshit. It’s free. Can you imagine the guy who’s in jail for killing that motherfucker? Like, ‘Damn, I killed somebody for this mixtape shit.’ It was like some mixtape rumor or something. I don’t know the real story behind it, but they probably look at that shit now like, ‘My boy died during that mixtape era?’ It’s free, and promotional now. It’s not some big money shit to fucking die for.”

http://nahright.com/news/mixtape-memories-with-dj-whoo-kid-part-2/

mind
--------
matter

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 05:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
48. "Game's homies told me they almost jacked Whoo Kid, on some"
In response to Reply # 0

"just because he soft" shit, and because his chain was looking too nice. They gave each other that look, and called it off because they knew it wouldn't be a good look for Game.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

astralblak
20029 posts
Fri Dec-20-13 10:23 PM

52. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 48

denny
11281 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 08:46 AM

57. "I never knew DJ Whoo kid was such a hilarious guy."
In response to Reply # 0

He sounds cool to me

NoDrawls McGraw
Member since Jun 24th 2007
12122 posts
Sat Dec-21-13 02:38 PM

61. "LMBAO @ dis shit right here:"
In response to Reply # 0

>>So Pun is like, ‘Come here and sit next to me.’ But there was nowhere to sit, because he was taking up the whole shit.<<

I'm literally wipin' tears from my face right now.
Dat shit is hilarious!

https://chriswind.bandcamp.com/track/massage

"You can take an African out of Africa, but you can't take Africa out of the African"
Afro-Americana/Afro-Caribbana/Afro-Latino unite. We are ALL Black!

Lobby The Lesson topic #2861781 Previous topic | Next topic