Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2861303

Subject: "DeVante's work on Montell Jordan's "What's On Tonight" was classic" Previous topic | Next topic
gritty
Member since Jan 25th 2013
1574 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 01:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DeVante's work on Montell Jordan's "What's On Tonight" was classic"

This song is better than 95% of what's out today and it gets overlooked when it comes to the great songs of the 90's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAP89-0THMA

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i never cared for dude's music at all I always thought of him being
Dec 13th 2013
Yeah, I've never heard Montell's albums before but I liked some of his s...
Dec 13th 2013
      it wasn't by choice however his music was played alot
Dec 13th 2013
           Yeah, I don't think we got to really see DeVante's full potential.
Dec 13th 2013
always thought this song was gorgeous
Dec 13th 2013
Had no clue Devante did this. Im slippin
Dec 13th 2013

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 02:24 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i never cared for dude's music at all I always thought of him being"
In response to Reply # 0

a 4th tier act. and he had some hits and they never did anything for me and i liked certain things that devante swing did,however him working with Montell Jordan was a tax write Off IMO. this cut ain't bad however Montelll never did much for me as a artist

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

gritty
1574 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 03:48 PM

3. "Yeah, I've never heard Montell's albums before but I liked some of his s..."
In response to Reply # 1

This Is How We Do It, I Like, and then this joint.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 03:54 PM

4. "it wasn't by choice however his music was played alot "
In response to Reply # 3

by folks i use to know and i always thought he was one corny turkey and pretenious.

Devante Swing was good, however not Great because he never went the distance and he burned out before we got to get to the next.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

gritty
1574 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 04:23 PM

5. "Yeah, I don't think we got to really see DeVante's full potential."
In response to Reply # 4

I feel like he was just getting warm, even though his contributions were really good. But I would like to hear the work he did for Michael and Madonna.

I even liked the joint he did for Al Green, Could This Be The Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ts1j6Lu42k

I feel like DeVante was just starting to branch out before he disappeared because the joint he did for Pac was excellent. It sounded like nothing he'd ever done before and it is still by far one of the most interesting Hip Hop beats I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjxZDxJorI

Oh yeah, his work on Usher's first album was nice too. DeVante had this way with writing songs that seemed like he was just "talking" but he had a way certain rhythm to it.

The most "recent" contribution (which has now been like 7 or 8 years ago) I heard from him was this Mya song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah-I8BMov8Q

I wonder if he ghostwrites or ghost produces at all now?

NastySpice96
Member since Jul 31st 2008
300 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 03:20 PM

2. "always thought this song was gorgeous"
In response to Reply # 0

devante was a genius

most creative/original RnB producer i've heard.

CherNic
Member since Aug 18th 2005
37156 posts
Fri Dec-13-13 11:09 PM

6. "Had no clue Devante did this. Im slippin"
In response to Reply # 0

Lobby The Lesson topic #2861303 Previous topic | Next topic