Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2858767

Subject: "Rewind back to 99'; Ma$e leaving Bad Boy Records. Why?" Previous topic | Next topic
gritty
Member since Jan 25th 2013
1574 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 05:38 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rewind back to 99'; Ma$e leaving Bad Boy Records. Why?"

Now back then Ma$e was my favorite rapper and I can remember getting that Harlem World tape for Christmas in 97' and then it was like two years later when he dropped Double Up in 99'. I remember hearing about his retirement announcement back in 99' and saying how he didn't want to do Hip Hop music anymore and I couldn't believe it because back then Ma$e was one of the top selling rappers in the game... well circa 97'. But then like around the mid 2000's I remember hearing stories or rather reading online about how he got ran up out of Harlem which is why he retired.

Now of course I know once he did retire he did go back to school and become a pastor. But from him leaving/retiring Bad Boy Records in 99' all the way right back up to 04' when he came back to Bad Boy Records again, what was the whole story on Ma$e.

Anybody know?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Rewind back to 99'; Ma$e leaving Bad Boy Records. Why?
Nov 29th 2013
Out of curiousity
Nov 29th 2013
wasn't there also a gay rumor? nm
Nov 29th 2013
puffy didn't love him no more
Nov 29th 2013
Everybody connected to that circle in that era had weird stories
Nov 30th 2013
pretty believable, considering Nicky Barnes is his godfather
Nov 30th 2013
Whoaaa I didn't know that
Nov 30th 2013
      Puffy's daddy use to run with Nicky Barnes
Dec 01st 2013
add Shyne and Black Rob to that as well
Dec 01st 2013
MASE GOT RETIRED BY GHOST
Dec 01st 2013
How Mase has explained it...
Dec 01st 2013
there was never a time in history that Mase was not wack
Dec 01st 2013

weirdscience
Member since Jun 02nd 2007
560 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 06:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via ICQ
1. "RE: Rewind back to 99'; Ma$e leaving Bad Boy Records. Why?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think I vaguely remember it had something to do with someone getting killed in Harlem and Ma$e wasn't linked to the murder but there was some shady shit surrounding it. If the guy wasn't killed something else happened.

I remember Cam'ron or someone telling the story maybe around the Welcome Back album or maybe it was the G-unit resurgence. Since all the beef has been relatively squashed its kind of hard to remember correctly, but I'm sure someone has more insight than me.

The oddest thing is whether or not the Preacher move was a business move or like a repentance for whatever happened, or both. I remember he left the church on some shady shit too.

All in all, Ma$e as an artists is the shit.

SP1200
Charter member
20101 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 11:03 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Out of curiousity"
In response to Reply # 1

I went to his church in Buckhead one time way back lmao.
Weird experience lol.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j51hj4.jpg

justin_scott
Charter member
19862 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 11:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "wasn't there also a gay rumor? nm"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 11:55 PM

4. "puffy didn't love him no more"
In response to Reply # 0

and it was over. jennifer lopez was the beard.

to throw the dog scent off Mase got PR Hook up with Brandy. remember"sitting on top of the world"??

Mase was hot and though i found that grapefruit head turkey corny, his flow and styling became fashionable ask 50 cent to Kayne about his impact?

anyway do you really think a Cat is going to walk away that quickly with all that loot and all those features?

not to mention though Mase changed his thing up the double up album had a sticker.

and when Mase came back he had bids on him just like Snoop did when he left death row.

Mase nows more than he can ever talk about

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sat Nov-30-13 07:29 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Everybody connected to that circle in that era had weird stories"
In response to Reply # 0

Remember Loon turning Muslim? And before that, Loon actually got Freeway's chain back after it was jacked at the Beverly Center, since Loon is basically from a gang here...and he went to Beverly Hills High

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18115 posts
Sat Nov-30-13 08:12 PM

6. "pretty believable, considering Nicky Barnes is his godfather"
In response to Reply # 5

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Sat Nov-30-13 11:13 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Whoaaa I didn't know that"
In response to Reply # 6

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 01:29 AM

9. "Puffy's daddy use to run with Nicky Barnes"
In response to Reply # 7

and got Killed on the grind back in the day.

i wouldn't be surprised if Puffy sends Nicky some side loot on the low.

i had the book Mr Untouchable about Nicky Barnes life and they mention Puffy's daddy at the start of the book.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 01:31 AM

10. "add Shyne and Black Rob to that as well"
In response to Reply # 5

Puffy is a mess on the real and kept his pockets straight and hustled everybody associated with the circle except Faith, though her own demons got her.

WARGOD357
Member since Jan 21st 2006
1403 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 12:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "MASE GOT RETIRED BY GHOST"
In response to Reply # 0

I'M FROM THE EMPIRE STATE, WHERE GHOSTFACE RETIRED MASE - SHYHEIM

You slap the nigga(DRAKE) five n he gon moisturize ya palms nahmean!-BIG GHOST NAHMEAN!

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 03:47 AM

11. "How Mase has explained it..."
In response to Reply # 0

...he apparently woke up on a Sunday morning after going out to the club the night before, he was smoking a joint and got paranoid, started feeling guilty about the way he was living and the things he was valuing the most and went to church. He had some sort of spiritual revelation or rebirth and decided to give up recording music and living the lifestyle he was living and become a man of god. There were actually a lot of Christian overtones on the Welcome Back album, at the end of "Gotta Survive" he ends the song talking about his dedication to Christ. I think he did the "Jesus Walks" remix around this time as well. The G-Unit move was confusing because he was back on that Murda Mase shit again, but also not fully detached from being a pastor. I know when that went south and Puffy wouldn't sign over the rights to 50/G-Unit, Mase went back to being a pastor full-time, making guest appearances very seldom. I know he said he regretted being a pastor recently, and he's been popping up in places again and getting referenced and interpolated a hell of a lot so I'm interested in seeing if he's going to buckle down and give us one more run before inevitably disappearing again.

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 09:54 AM

12. "there was never a time in history that Mase was not wack"
In response to Reply # 0

#factsonly

Lobby The Lesson topic #2858767 Previous topic | Next topic