Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2858387

Subject: "Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums." Previous topic | Next topic
gritty
Member since Jan 25th 2013
1574 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 08:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums."

From the Funkadelic albums to the Parliament albums. Which are the best of their best? Let's rank those mofos!

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
My ten chronologically (roughly):
Nov 26th 2013
long as Maggot Brain is up there in the top 3, i'm good
Nov 27th 2013
top 10
Nov 27th 2013
maggot brain is way up there
Nov 27th 2013
RE: Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums.
Nov 27th 2013
Tales of Kidd Funkadelic
Nov 27th 2013
this post might also help.
Nov 28th 2013
10. Funkentelchy and the Placebo syndrome
Nov 28th 2013
i like these, among others:
Nov 29th 2013
5 Essentials
Nov 29th 2013
Nov 30th 2013
Eddie Hazel "Games, Dames & Guitar Thangs" (1977)
Nov 30th 2013
1. Funkentelechy 2. Maggot Brain 3. Everything Else
Dec 01st 2013
Dec 01st 2013
Dec 02nd 2013
Reply #8 (me)and reply #14 (Deacon Blues) list
Dec 02nd 2013
''Chocolate city'' has two feels/sounds IMO
Dec 02nd 2013
      There are different feels on "Chocolate City" yet
Dec 02nd 2013
I could never really get into that album...
Dec 02nd 2013
well...if we just limit it to the Funkadelic and Parliament studio albu...
Dec 02nd 2013
What I loved about the motherpage...
Dec 02nd 2013
yeah..it was the perfect study guide for P-funk....
Dec 04th 2013
RE: well...if we just limit it to the Funkadelic and Parliament studio ...
Dec 02nd 2013
Awww, the Motherpage is gone??
Dec 03rd 2013
ten is hard but here goes
Dec 03rd 2013
the Live at the Sugar Shack sets...must have
Dec 04th 2013

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 08:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "My ten chronologically (roughly):"
In response to Reply # 0

Funkadelic-s/t
Parliament-Osmium
Funkadelic-Maggot Brain
Funkadelic-Standing on the verge of getting it on
Funkadelic-Let's Take it to the stage
Parliament-Mothership Connection
Parliament-Funkentelechy
Bootsy's Rubber Band-Aaah,,, The name is bootsy baby
Parliament-Motor Booty Affair
Bootsy's Rubber Band-Bootsy? Player of the year

That's my ten. And yes, I know that Funkadelic's "One nation under a groove" is a classic but while it's great, I always found it quite inconswistent and honestly not as good as their earlier stuff not to mention the stuff Parliament and evewn Bootsy did at the same time...

I'd love to put another P-funk project in there but what can I say? Most of the satellite projects just weren't too good outside of a jamming song here and there. Eddie Hazel's "Dames, games..." is a cult-classic though and for good reason, still, the songs are somewhat lacking IMO...

araQual
Charter member
42162 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 01:19 AM

2. "long as Maggot Brain is up there in the top 3, i'm good"
In response to Reply # 0

V.

---
http://confessionsofacurlymind.com
https://soundcloud.com/confessionsofacurlymindredux
https://soundcloud.com/generic80sbadguy
https://soundcloud.com/miles_matheson

DROkayplayerâ„¢

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 02:16 AM

3. "top 10"
In response to Reply # 0

1) computer games
2) maggot brain
3) free your mind and your ass will follow
4) standing on the verge of getting it on
5) lets take it to the stage
6) mothership connection
7) motor booty affair
8) one nation under a groove
9) funkentelechy vs the placebo syndrome
10) tapoafoms

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 02:24 AM

4. "maggot brain is way up there"
In response to Reply # 0

take it to the stage

mothership connection

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 08:41 AM

5. "RE: Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-27-13 08:42 AM by Strangeways

I only have free your mind and your ass will follow on a burned cd but man, I wish that I had that on lp cuz thats one of the very best guitar albums ive ever heard and uncle jam wants you lp. I remember bootsy player of the year award being the very first pfunk record that i bought from eat more records back in 1992 or 93.

Funkymusic
Member since Sep 19th 2008
1559 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 03:14 PM

6. "Tales of Kidd Funkadelic"
In response to Reply # 0

signature pose.

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 07:58 AM

7. "this post might also help."
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2857426&mesg_id=2857426&listing_type=search

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13962 posts
Thu Nov-28-13 09:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "10. Funkentelchy and the Placebo syndrome"
In response to Reply # 0

9. Funkadelic (self-titled)
8. Free your mind and your ass will follow
7. Hardcore Jollies
6. Let's take it to the stage
5. The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein
4. Maggot Brain
3. Cosmic Slop
2. Chocolate City
1. Up for the downstroke

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 12:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "i like these, among others:"
In response to Reply # 0

Motor Booty Affair - Parliament
Mothership Connection - Parliament
One Nation Under a Groove - Funkadelic
Funkentelechy vs. Placebo Syndrome - Parliament
Tales of Kidd Funkadelic - Funkadelic
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
Urban Dancefloor Guerillas - P-Funk All Stars
Clones of Dr. Funkenstein - Parliament
A Blow for Me, a Toot to You - Horny Horns

fuck you.

Scrapluv
Charter member
14809 posts
Fri Nov-29-13 04:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "5 Essentials"
In response to Reply # 0

Parliament - Funkentelechy vs. Placebo Syndrome
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Parliament - Mothership Connection
Parliament - Clones od Dr. Funkenstien

dsteele
Member since Apr 21st 2006
168 posts
Sat Nov-30-13 10:06 AM

11. "RE: Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums."
In response to Reply # 0

1. MOTORBOOTYAFFAIR
2. FUNKENTELECHY VS PLACEBO SYNDROME
3. UP FOR THE DOWN STROKE

THAT'S MY TOP 3...

BLOWING UP THE SPOT,

dsteele, the detonator!

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36966 posts
Sat Nov-30-13 11:50 AM

12. "Eddie Hazel "Games, Dames & Guitar Thangs" (1977)"
In response to Reply # 0

I consider that a Funkadelic/Parliament album as well.

https://digife.com

rhymesandammo
Member since Dec 07th 2004
6366 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 03:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
13. "1. Funkentelechy 2. Maggot Brain 3. Everything Else"
In response to Reply # 0

Esteemed author of the celebrated, double-platinum post: "Drake - Wu-Tang Forever".

Deacon Blues
Charter member
5013 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 10:43 PM

14. "RE: Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums."
In response to Reply # 0

Funkadelic
Maggot Brain
Free your mind
Standing on the verge
Hardcore jollies
One nation under a groove
Up for the downstroke
Mothership connection
Clones of dr funkenstein
Funkentelechy
Motor booty affair
Computer games

dude

Dupree90
Member since Jul 10th 2005
639 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 05:46 AM

15. "RE: Let's do a definitive list of must have P-Funk albums."
In response to Reply # 0

Wow folks really not feeling Hardcore Jollies huh? That's my fav album from this outfit. And I also have Game Dames and Guitar Thangs in my top (P-Funk) as well.

c71
13962 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 11:53 AM

16. "Reply #8 (me)and reply #14 (Deacon Blues) list"
In response to Reply # 15

"Hardcore Jollies" so it gets love from those who can look past certain obvious P-funk material

"Chocolate City" really ain't getting no love, except by me (reply #8). It's #2 to me. Love the feel on that album, like REALLY love that feel/sound.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 01:30 PM

18. "''Chocolate city'' has two feels/sounds IMO"
In response to Reply # 16

The first side has Bootsy's stamp all over it and really points towards their later stuff whereas side B feels more along the lines of many of the more off-beat songs on "Up for the downstroke" or even "Osmium" and "America eats its young"-actually, I think some songs are outtakes from that era (="america...") since Prakash John is listed in the credits and they mention parts of the record being recorded in Toronto.

It's a very transitional album to me and while I love many songs, it doesn't fully gel into a coherent sound the way the next couple of albums do IMO. Also, some of the uptempo funk-songs-while great-feel a bit "faceless", like the typical quirky P-funk edge is missing and they could have been done by Ohio Players or something; Bootsy's bass rather than the songwriting/arrangements is what really sell songs like "Ride on" and "Together" as P-funk IMO... The title-track on the other hand is definitely textbook Parliament-style to me...

c71
13962 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 04:42 PM

22. "There are different feels on "Chocolate City" yet"
In response to Reply # 18

There is a "clean/plain" overall tone to the majority of songs.

"what comes funky" gets too clean/plain for me but the rest of the tracks with that clean/plain feel "Ride on","Together","side effects","if it don't fit don't force it","big footin" give "Chocolate City" it's main effect/vibe.

Like a "Twilight Zone" thing where it is normal - yet not normal.

I love that weird space of that feel on "Chocolate City".

I can't listen to "Mothership Connection" anymore 'cause it comes from too "polished up" .....err.....no "Twilight Zone-y" vibe that "Chocolate City" has.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 01:45 PM

20. "I could never really get into that album..."
In response to Reply # 15

I prefer "Tales of kidd Funkadelic" which is strange because it was supposedly just a collection of current singles and outtakes and yet, it works better to me even if the title-track is a bit on the self-indulgent side.

I don't know why I dn't like "Hardcore Jollies" too much because "Smokie" is one hell of a jam and so is "Coming round the mountain" and I dig "Soul mate" as well and the live-version of "Cosmic Slop" is nice. Still, to me, it feels more like just a collection of songs they had lying around than a coherent album; I suspect Funkadelic was somewhat put on the backburner in that 76-77 era due to the MASSIVE success of Parliament, only to come back with a more fully realized album with "One nation under a groove"...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 12:30 PM

17. " well...if we just limit it to the Funkadelic and Parliament studio albu..."
In response to Reply # 0

here would be my top 10 favorites:

1. Funkadelic self-titled.
2. Tales of Dr. Funkenstien
3. Mothership Connection
4. Maggot Brain
5. America Eats it's young
6. Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome
7. One Nation Under a groove
8. Uncle Jam wants you
9. Cosmic Slop
10. The Motor Booty Affair

But like I always say...the best way to "get into" P-funk and really analyze them is to study their releases chronilogically en masse...

meaning start from the very beginning and look at each release as it came out all inclusive with Parliament...Funkadelic...Bootsy...Parlet...Brides....Bernie...Eddie...Fuzzy....All-Stars and erbody else...

looks like they finally took down the MotherPage, so you'd have to use other means to get a list of the releases..this link seems pretty good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P-Funk_projects

the one thing folks will miss from the Motherpage is the in-depth analysis of each of the releases, but for the most part you can find a pretty decent summary of each on using wiki...

Then of course..you want to focus on the live stuff..I'd recommend doing chronologically while you're looking at all the studio albums.... official and unofficial live releases...all three of the Sugar Shack shows....meadowbrook...rocky moutain shake down...all the official and unofficial stuff....Bootsy live in louisville and Houston...All-Stars live...

plus now you can peep a lot of entire shows on youtube also...

The study of P-Funk can be pretty in depth, but it's honestly one of the more enjoyable musical experiences you can have.

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 01:39 PM

19. "What I loved about the motherpage..."
In response to Reply # 17

...was that they sometimes listed individual performance-credit for some songs; that's how I found out that Bootsy did FAR more than "just" play bass on a lot of Parliament-records. Of course, he is credited on the records for playing drums, guitar, percussion etc. but so are a lot of other guys and the credits often just listed who was in the band at the time of the recording/release.

For example, Cordell "Boogie" Mosson is listed as the bassist on the "Funkentelechy"-album whereas Bootsy is just mentioned as "alumni". However, does Mosson even play on a single song on that record? MAYBE "Wizard of finance" but it sounds very Bootsy too.

Basically, I loved that shit and hopefully there will be a book one day that will go REALLY indepth about who played what and on which song and so on but I suspect many of the musicians might not even remember themselves who did what due to Clinton overdubbing and removing and adding parts.

However, some things on the motherpage was strange to me; for example, some guy said that contrary to popular belief, Eddie Hazel was all over "Motor Booty affair" and it's like: where? That particular statement didn't make much sense to me...

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 04:43 PM

25. "yeah..it was the perfect study guide for P-funk...."
In response to Reply # 19

seeing the details on who did what on which tracks allowed you to really appreciate what the members of the funk mob brought to the table...

I remember when I found the mother page I printed out the entire thing and put it in a binder...it was my leisure reading for a couple of years really...lol..

hopefully it's archived on the net somewhere...I mean wikipedia can be helpful but the way the motherpage was set up was just perfect.

c71
13962 posts
Mon Dec-02-13 04:36 PM

21. "RE: well...if we just limit it to the Funkadelic and Parliament studio ..."

>2. Tales of Dr. Funkenstien

u inventing new P-funk albums?

Clones of Kid Funkedelic?

dalecooper
Member since Apr 07th 2006
3164 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 09:45 AM

23. "Awww, the Motherpage is gone??"

I owe them big time for turning me onto a bunch of P-Funk spinoff albums that I had no idea existed. It was, as far as I can tell, the only coherent and easy-to-navigate site that documented basically the entire P-Funk spiderweb. Quazar, Sweat Band, some of the solo albums (including a couple I paid way too much for)... R.I.P., Motherpage!

--

GumDrops
Charter member
26088 posts
Tue Dec-03-13 09:57 AM

24. "ten is hard but here goes"
In response to Reply # 0

these are really just my personal faves rather than trying to be objective about what is best:

parliament - osmium, chocolate city, clones of dr funkenstein, funkatelechy

funkadelic - free your mind, standing on the verge, lets take it to the stage, one nation under a groove

bootsy - stretching out, ahh the name is bootsy

Warren Coolidge
Charter member
41998 posts
Wed Dec-04-13 11:10 PM

26. "the Live at the Sugar Shack sets...must have"
In response to Reply # 0

I know this was supposed to be about the albums...but any true P-Funk head has got to have the 3 live at the Sugar Shack sets from '72, '74 and '75... the '72 set features Bootsy and Catfish in the band as well as introducing the Horns to the band...

it really captures the Funk at it's most raw stage....the sound qualities aren't the best ..with the '72 set probably being the best..but it's really one of the rare chances to capture funkadelic live at it's early stages...raw..with the horns..

there are some youtube clips out there

Cosmic slop jam '72(this is the only place I've heard this arrangement)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy3nA8tjixM

Cookie Jar '72 (cool Bernie solo towards the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubQwLeWXR2g

I got a thang '72 (Catfish kills the rhythm guitar)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz1LLu7eK2g

I call my baby pussy '72 (Ray Davis vocals on the bridge are cold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLIWFc4VU7Q

All your goodies are gone '72 (killer arrangement ...Calvin Simon on the vocals....easily the best version of this song I've ever heard )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK9S08wwQhA

The Goose '74 (one of Michael Hampton's early performances with Funkadelic....the break down at the end is cold)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqqjjO17X3I

Lobby The Lesson topic #2858387 Previous topic | Next topic