Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2858131

Subject: "Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE" Previous topic | Next topic
justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 06:41 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE"

Boots will be there at 730pm if anyone is interested. I live four blocks away, so I'll be there.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE
Nov 25th 2013
RE: Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE
Nov 26th 2013
      Cool thanks
Nov 26th 2013
      no recording
Nov 26th 2013
      Sounds like an interesting night
Nov 26th 2013
           it was
Nov 26th 2013

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 06:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE"
In response to Reply # 0

I saw this. I want to go but with Obeezy in town on a monday traffic is going to be unbearable. Would love if you could come back and give a little summary of what he has to say tomorrow.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 12:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: Boots Riley speaking at CalTech in Pasadena tonight! FREE"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Nov-26-13 12:38 AM by justin_scott

Boots started with a two verse a cappella that i didn't recognize, then he mostly talked about the need for a militaristic labor union, communists/ism. about half way into his speech, he did "the gods of science" (since there were a few scientists in the room, he wove that into his speech). it was good, but i thought he didn't really tie all his thoughts together well enough, and had no real theme, but then he did 45 minutes of answering questions. he spoke at length, was on point and was worth coming out for. he bought up how real movements inspire socially conscious music, not the other way around.

i'm kind of tired, but if i remember more, i'll post it.

Luke Cage
Member since Dec 14th 2005
3047 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 03:20 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Cool thanks"
In response to Reply # 2

Sounds like a typical Boots speech. Some highlights, some rhetoric and some music. Was anyone recording it as far as you could tell? I wonder if they will post this anywhere.

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 04:13 AM

5. "no recording"
In response to Reply # 3

in fact, i think only me and my friend even took pictures, and we both only took one each. there was a hanging out/talk to boots up close and personal/drink wine event afterwards, but i needed a nap before work, so i left.

i wouldn't mind hearing him just talk about his upcoming and life in general. he's done a ton of interesting and amazing things. been part of alot of shit.

las raises
Member since Aug 31st 2002
14982 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 03:43 AM

4. "Sounds like an interesting night"
In response to Reply # 2

Wish I could have been there

-----------------------------------------------------------------

justin_scott
Charter member
19864 posts
Tue Nov-26-13 04:17 AM

6. "it was"
In response to Reply # 4

and the people asking questions were spot on. i mean, it's caltech, so you'd expect some people with deeper than usual opinions and questions, and that's what they delivered. and boots delivered back during that segment.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2858131 Previous topic | Next topic