Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2857955

Subject: "does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 reco..." Previous topic | Next topic
Strangeways
Member since Jul 10th 2007
1988 posts
Sun Nov-24-13 08:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 reco..."

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that family dollar is selling Prince cds for 6 dollars especially the ones like the double album "1999", Purple Rain, Around the world in a day, and the self titled blue album with I wanna be your love and even The Time first and third record. So I went out and bought the 1999 album cd since that is my favorite Prince album of all time but I wonder does the money go to Prince himself and does he see any of the lion share of the profits from the old back catalog because I heard that he is getting his masters back and 1999 is one album that I wish would be remastered with bonus songs. 1999 has got to be my favorite album of all time because to me, nothing that rick james ever did could touch it and it was better than mj's thriller and I dont care what anyone has to say. I mean Prince really stumped his foot into the 1999 record and he even put his eyes on the lps itself which was very smart and the first of its kind. to me, that 1999 record should have won the award for the best r&b album of 1983 instead of rick james throwin down. I really hope that Prince owns the master to this one and others as I really hope that all the money go to him by now. Ive bought the 1999 album at least 6 times during my lifetime because it is such a great album and even on the Prince unauthorized documentary, they called it a phenomental record.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lol
Nov 24th 2013
you should have bought some now and laters instead of that
Nov 24th 2013
RE: you should have bought some now and laters instead of that
Nov 25th 2013
RE: you should have bought some now and laters instead of that
Nov 27th 2013
I'll just put this here.
Nov 24th 2013
RE: I'll just put this here.
Nov 25th 2013
Nov 25th 2013
Dec 09th 2013
Nov 25th 2013
RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ...
Nov 25th 2013
Nov 25th 2013
Nov 27th 2013
Dec 01st 2013
Dec 07th 2013
Dec 08th 2013
Dec 08th 2013
Dec 09th 2013

rdhull
Charter member
33137 posts
Sun Nov-24-13 09:26 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lol"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Sun Nov-24-13 09:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "you should have bought some now and laters instead of that"
In response to Reply # 0

because they come in every flavor.

Street songs was a game changer how you sound?

thriller changed the whole world? how you sound?

1999 was tight for back in the day.

if i saw those Prince records at the dollar store then I'm going to get some cracker jack popcorn and a prize period.i'd get a good snack and also surprise in the box ya DIG?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 09:14 AM

9. "RE: you should have bought some now and laters instead of that"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon Nov-25-13 09:20 AM by Strangeways

the entire 1999 record was in every flavor of genre. Prince toke soul,ROCK N ROLL,r&b,funk and mixed it all into one with that record. oh and by the way, rick could have never came up with the bassline for dance,music,sex, romance because the way that Prince played it, it blows me away. definitely a party song that had a mean bassline and that purple funk locked in the pocket with the rhythm guitar and the synthesizers. He did pfunk up with that one.

Ashy Achilles
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
4551 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 02:17 PM

11. "RE: you should have bought some now and laters instead of that"
In response to Reply # 2

>because they come in every flavor.

*dead*

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Sun Nov-24-13 09:58 PM

3. "I'll just put this here. "
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-24-13 10:06 PM by Joe Corn Mo

1999 is the sound of the 80's.

i've been on an 80s kick this weekend,
and i hear 1999 everywhere.

from that loose ends track, "hanging on a string"
to the pointer sisters "dare me"
to Phil Collins "don't lose my number" or "sussudio"
to the billy crystal novelty single "you look marvelous."

there is way drums and synths are used on 1999 that kick started everything
that you love (or hate) about the 80s.
something about the "space" in those records... prince's trademark is all over it.

george michael's "faith" album was George michael doing prince
in a way prince couldn't do prince at that point.

everybody was chasing MJ,
but it seems that every producer wanted to SOUND like prince.

and btw... since mistermaxxx will be all over this post,
MJ clearly saw something in 1999. just listen to "hot street," the thriller outtake.
who was he chasing with that tune?

you know the answer.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 07:12 AM

4. "RE: I'll just put this here. "
In response to Reply # 3

and not only was Prince poetic but very clever with the lyrical content especially on A.U.T.O.matic. I used to always wonder what he was saying silently the breakdown and someone even posted that the guitar solo in automatic is one of the best that Prince has ever done. That 1999 cassette stayed popular even 5 years after it was released cuz I remember people were still playing it in their car back in the mid 80s and do not get me started on the sophisticated promo videos, let alone the dance remix of little red corvette 12" because that remix received more play than the album version.

http://uploadsociety.com/video_v49320

Don't say that no man has ever tasted your ice cream
Baby, you're the purple star of the night supreme
You'll always be a virgin for no man deserves your love
I only pray that when you dream, I'm the one you dream of
I pray that when you dream, you dream of how we kiss
Not with our lips but with our souls, stop me if I bore you

Why is it that I think we'd be so good in bed?
Can you hear me? Why do I love you so much?
It's so strange, I'm more comfortable around you when I'm naked
Can you hear me? I wonder if you have any mercy, don't torture me

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 07:19 AM

5. "RE: I'll just put this here. "
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Nov-25-13 07:41 AM by Strangeways

here is the thread where the guitar solo for A.U.T.O.matic is listed as one of the greatest guitar moments and lady cab driver is considered the funkiest rhythm guitar riff amongst guitar players and ill even throw in dance,music,sex,romance because Ive always loved the rhythm guitar breakdown. I even bought the sheet music for the full album a couple of years ago. does anyone read music?

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2805940&mesg_id=2805940&listing_type=search

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 01:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
17. "RE: I'll just put this here. "
In response to Reply # 5

>here is the thread where the guitar solo for A.U.T.O.matic is
>listed as one of the greatest guitar moments and lady cab
>driver is considered the funkiest rhythm guitar riff amongst
>guitar players and ill even throw in dance,music,sex,romance
>because Ive always loved the rhythm guitar breakdown. I even
>bought the sheet music for the full album a couple of years
>ago. does anyone read music?
>
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2805940&mesg_id=2805940&listing_type=search

Thanks for the shout out, Strange....

Peace...

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 08:23 AM

7. "RE: I'll just put this here. "
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Nov-25-13 08:24 AM by Strangeways

http://lockerz.com/u/20411938/decalz/5602348/video_prince_1999_tour_live_prince_fu

I keep hearing that the 1999 record is the closest thing that Prince ever got to a Time album in the early days and I even hear that is actually Prince playing live drums on the bside "irresistiable bitch".
Horny toad sounds like it was done during the dirty mind sessions especially that echoing Oberheim synthesizer at the very end and now, that ive watched some of the 1999 tour shows, Prince at the acoustic piano doing how come you dont call me anymore was probably the highlight of the show because of the dramatic intensity and energy of that set...a very exciting time to be a Prince fan especially during the norfolk show where Prince kicks the piano chair, the guy sets it back up for him and he throws it back at him and continues with the voices echoing on this link right here:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ3NDk3ODAw.html

and I love the part where Prince goes to the very top of the stage during Automatic during the houston show and starts giving the band hit cues....that is the best part and little red corvette dance. I could tell that houston crowd was very dead cuz Prince had to say "excuse me, is the party in here tonight". I wish that I could have seen that 1999 tour but I was only 2 or 3 years old when all of this was happening and hearing a woman screaming and making all those noises during lady cab driver....I DIDNT KNOW WHAT THAT WAS and that BLEW MY MIND at an early age....i thought that he was hurting her...LOL....with the sound of bed springs rocking and a woman's climax BLARING throughout the entire speakers especially when my dad used to BLAST it in the car, that was the turning point for me and made me a die hard Prince fan forever..... my uncles even did lawn service around the community to get the money to buy their own copy of the 1999 cassette and would open the window and put the boombox so that the 1999 cassette would BLAST outside to people that were passing by.....definitely one of his best tours on this link right here:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ3NDk4NTM2.html

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 07:36 AM

6. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I remember when I went to my first real concert back in October 1999 to see Morris Day and the time. there was this older black lady talking to me and my mom before the show started saying that she met Prince back in December of 1980 and how Prince walked up to her and said " I would like to thank you for buying my new album 1999" and she said that he was looking in the sky when he said it and she said that she thought "who is this weirdo" and then after that, I started tuning her ass out cuz it sounded like she cussed him out. I mean the man was thanking her, I dont care how shy someone is, you cant fault them for thanking you and that lady is clearly someone that you stay the hell away from but if Prince had walked up to me and thanked me like that....I would have thanked him back by saying "and thank you extremely much for making the 1999 record because that record is genius and gave him five." I mean who would have thought of putting their eyes on the lps itself while it is spinning on the turntable.....an original concept, thats for sure.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Nov-25-13 08:43 AM

8. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I even remember vaguely watching Prince perform little red corvette on solid gold with my uncle but we couldnt get the tv antenna to get a clear signal cuz we were all living in the hood at the time.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ3NTMxMjQw.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ3NTMwODY0.html

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDQ3NTM0MzE2.html

I always wondered how did he get that gate sounding snare for lets pretend were married and how the synthesizers dominate the entire song and if there is a bass or guitar turned down within the mix.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Wed Nov-27-13 08:31 AM

10. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

Even Jam and Lewis said on the backstage pass of the anniversary Purple Rain dvd that Prince had worked so hard on the 1999 record that he wanted that album to really blow up but wasnt there yet.

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sun Dec-01-13 12:24 PM

12. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

I didnt even know this thread existed with all of these 1999 era pictures....

http://prince.org/msg/7/333234?&pg=5

and look what someone just posted last night:

http://pirateshore.org/?load=/torrent/9271073/Prince_-_Detroit__82_V2.0_(1999_Tour_SBD_FLAC_4DaFunk)

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sat Dec-07-13 09:56 PM

13. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

just bookmarking these 3 songs.....

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f52dc8979e40422120ad6f78d102361420131125032838/9955fa

Strangeways
1988 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 02:50 PM

14. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0

This performance is the HIGHLIGHT OF 2013 FOR ME and I had to bookmark this link especially how Prince threw off the guitar at the end and left the guitar ringing off in the air.....

http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-3rd-eye-girl-jimmy-5sgw1_2hztv_.html

Star20137
Member since Dec 08th 2013
1 posts
Sun Dec-08-13 04:19 PM

15. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 14

>This performance is the HIGHLIGHT OF 2013 FOR ME and I had to
>bookmark this link especially how Prince threw off the guitar
>at the end and left the guitar ringing off in the air.....
>
>
>http://www.wat.tv/video/prince-3rd-eye-girl-jimmy-5sgw1_2hztv_.html

I agree with you that the performance on Jimmy Fallon was the best performance of 2013 I love how he rocked out the guitar throwing was the best part

Strangeways
1988 posts
Mon Dec-09-13 11:09 AM

16. "RE: does any of the lions share of profits go to Prince for buying 1999 ..."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Dec-09-13 11:11 AM by Strangeways

a birthday mix that i stumbled across and wanted to bookmark so i could check it out later....

http://soundcloud.com/bang-the-box/bang-the-box-birthday-mix-funk

Lobby The Lesson topic #2857955 Previous topic | Next topic