Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2857282

Subject: "Are you a fan of a BRAND/PERSONALITY or of the MUSIC?" Previous topic | Next topic
Musa
Member since Mar 08th 2006
15789 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Are you a fan of a BRAND/PERSONALITY or of the MUSIC?"

Analogy:

We all know fast food restaurants no matter how good it may taste, how cheap/easily accessible it may be and how much commercial success and visibility it may have is manufactured artificial chemical products made for quick and easy consumption for profits. We recognize their brands but no one in their right mind would say fast food is "GREAT" because of their ADVERTISEMENT, commercial success OR consumption. Fine dining and local restaurants make food 100x BETTER.

So when it comes to MUSIC why does one seek the VALIDATION, visibility/advertisement and mass consumption to validate something as great and support it? Does Sony, WARNER brothers, Universal, (Vivendi) along with Viacom(who owns BET and MTV) and Power this and hot that (ran by Clear channel) validate music as worthy of listening, replay or consumption? OR is it that you are a victim of advertising, consumerism and CULT of personality?

Are you looking for marketing brands or music that one will enjoy for years to come?

This could go for any art form but I'm speaking particularly to rap music.

<----

Soundcloud.com/aquil84

(HIP HOP)
http://aquil.bandcamp.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Are you a fan of a BRAND/PERSONALITY or of the MUSIC?
Nov 21st 2013
i gotta feel the artist from jump
Nov 21st 2013
both.
Nov 21st 2013

daTopRamen
Member since May 05th 2011
190 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 02:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: Are you a fan of a BRAND/PERSONALITY or of the MUSIC?"
In response to Reply # 0

i think we should all aim for in n out or waffle house and hope that it reaches a national scale without losing it's quality.

in-n-out is fast food, has something for everyone, but doesn't lose its quality in the process.

and i think the same about waffle house too. when i lived in the south i took waffle houses for granted. but they're the first place i wanna go whenever i'm there.

just like when i leave southern california i always miss in-n-out. i stopped eating hamburgers, but in regards to fast food, they pretty much got it locked in the burger lane. but all their food is good, i can go there and get some fries and a milkshake and be totally satisfied because they've got quality all the way across the board.

it's made fast but don't taste fast.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "i gotta feel the artist from jump"
In response to Reply # 0

now i ain't gonna lie when i was feeling Death row anything and anybody associated with Dr Dre i was on it.

same with outkast, Biggie,DJ Quik,Biz Markie. def jam. Wu Tang Clan fits this thread best imo because you could be divided within it and yet the brand on a whole was the saving grace or individual parts

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 03:04 PM

3. "both. "
In response to Reply # 0

i love it when great music also has the zeitgeist.
sometimes (maybe most times) that zeitgeist is created
with the help of the machine.

that's fine by me.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2857282 Previous topic | Next topic