Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2857259

Subject: "Visuals killed the musical star" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Visuals killed the musical star"

I'm of the belief that for the most parts visuals are really just distractions from the music. Which isn't to say I don't have my fair share of favorite visual music tie-ins, but in this day and age those visuals have become so much more important than the music.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Yeah, that Genie is never going back in the bottle
Nov 21st 2013
Writing about live performances was the actual spark for this
Nov 21st 2013
hahaha
Nov 21st 2013
we can take it back to this as well
Nov 21st 2013
      I understand your post goes beyond 'music video'
Nov 21st 2013
It killed the musical star, but created the rock one.
Nov 21st 2013
It's up to the listener to become distracted or not
Nov 21st 2013
yup, early 90's rap vids made a lot of shitty music seem cool
Nov 21st 2013
RE: Visuals killed the musical star
Nov 21st 2013
I don't disagree with this at all
Nov 21st 2013
RE: Visuals killed the musical star
Nov 21st 2013
if you wanna open THAT Pandora's box...
Nov 21st 2013
very true
Nov 21st 2013
I can think of a couple of ways to deflect that deflection
Nov 21st 2013
      HR wrote all of the lyrics to Bad Brains "Quickness" completely
Nov 21st 2013
           that doesn't negate my point though
Nov 21st 2013
College radio still exists
Nov 21st 2013
glad there wsnt a vid for Hotel California or 17 Days
Nov 21st 2013
is this a diss to Michael Jackson?
Nov 21st 2013
If I make a post to diss MJ, I'll title it "This is a post to dis MJ"
Nov 21st 2013
      he is the first act to comes to mind upon reading this thread
Nov 21st 2013
           Is this post called "This is a post to dis MJ?"
Nov 21st 2013
                ole turkey i know you not hating on Lionel B. Richie
Nov 21st 2013

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44720 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Yeah, that Genie is never going back in the bottle"
In response to Reply # 0

And it's about 32 years too late anyway.

And where do we draw the line at "visuals"? Does it include live performances? Is it better to listen to the music itself on its own or does the visual accompaniment of watching the musician perform distract from that too?

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Writing about live performances was the actual spark for this"
In response to Reply # 1

>And where do we draw the line at "visuals"? Does it include
>live performances?

You're talking about watching artists perform though. I was writing about artists adding visuals to their performances which I've concluded are mere distractions from the actual performances. And clever ones at that because if the visuals are good and engaging they imply that the music being performed is on par when in fact...

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:42 AM

2. "hahaha"
In response to Reply # 0

posted this

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2856906&mesg_id=2856906&page=#2857261

then clicked out and saw this thread. Then clicked back over to the other to copy the link and saw Hood's response. Then saw Hood's response here.

But yeah. The concept of 'a great video' or 'one of the best videos ever' is one that's largely lost on me.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:45 AM

4. "we can take it back to this as well"
In response to Reply # 2

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=2844181&mesg_id=2844181&listing_type=search#2845117

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:57 AM

5. "I understand your post goes beyond 'music video'"
In response to Reply # 4
Thu Nov-21-13 10:57 AM by lonesome_d

I've never been to a lot of shows with a lot of stage craft and/or video type shit going on. I remember seeing CSN around 1990 and a huge ship rigging dropped onto the set during 'wooden ships' or 'wind on the water' and the crowd went crazy and I thought it was super cheezy.

One of the things about video in live music is that it requires a coordination that removes some of the spontaneity that I enjoy about music. People rave about Pink Floyd's live show, but even when I was into their music more the idea about watching a movie or laser show or flying balloon pig to live music wasn't as exciting to me as watching musicians play.

I've never seen a liquid light show in person but - without thinking too deeply about it, or doing drugs - see how that amplified the psychedelic experience without distracting from the music. The fact that a show was basically live and improvised probably has something to do with it.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 10:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "It killed the musical star, but created the rock one."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-21-13 11:02 AM by BigReg

I don't think the world is worse off for it to be honest. Id also argue we are all a bit too young to really not understand before visuals, and I am not necessarily referencing MTV.

I don't think it's coincidence the acts we hold in reverence here before the video/internet era usually have some sort of materialistic thing going for them beyond the music...be it looks, style, or a great background story that makes them seem more mythical then Bob mowing his lawn down the block.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:14 AM

8. "It's up to the listener to become distracted or not"
In response to Reply # 6

In response to:

> Id
>also argue we are all a bit too young to really not understand
>before visuals, and I am not necessarily referencing MTV.

I think it's about media literacy. Understanding the impact of the visual vs. the impact of the music, and acknowledging what you're at the table for. So much is put on music based on the visuals. Reading reviews today even all the language is describing visual things which sound *AMAZING* yet don't exactly translate to a musical reality.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "yup, early 90's rap vids made a lot of shitty music seem cool"
In response to Reply # 0

in fact the whole visual propaganda wing of the rap industry has had a significant impact on why image is ultimately superior to substance in the genre as a whole

garbage music

that said, the *good* kind of visuals are actual musicians doing actual performances of their actual music

like the bonus dvd on the Miles Live In Europe 1969 set, very cool stuff to watch those guys & the energy they play with & how the music coming out reflects the physical actions

thebigfunk
Charter member
10468 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:17 AM

9. "RE: Visuals killed the musical star"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm of the belief that for the most parts visuals are really
>just distractions from the music. Which isn't to say I don't
>have my fair share of favorite visual music tie-ins, but in
>this day and age those visuals have become so much more
>important than the music.

I'm sympathetic to this general argument b/c I think - not unlike Austin, I don't think - that we've forgotten how to listen to and appreciate music on its own, without all of the trappings of consumerism and over-stimulation.

BUT

There's also the risk of fetishing music-in-and-for-itself, as if a piece of recorded music is a finite object that exists in a sensory deprivation chamber and can only *really* be experienced as such. When we all know on a basic experiential level that music is perhaps the most commutative of the arts, that the shape and meaning of a piece of music can shift in different contexts, and that a piece of music exists far beyond the notes on a page or the soundwaves on a recording. This is not unique to music, but the portability of music today makes it the most compelling example of the openness of art.

The critique shouldn't be against visuals as a whole. Perhaps we should be thinking about how visuals do and do not work as aspects of a musical experience.

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:26 PM

15. "I don't disagree with this at all"
In response to Reply # 9

>There's also the risk of fetishing music-in-and-for-itself, as
>if a piece of recorded music is a finite object that exists in
>a sensory deprivation chamber and can only *really* be
>experienced as such. When we all know on a basic experiential
>level that music is perhaps the most commutative of the arts,
>that the shape and meaning of a piece of music can shift in
>different contexts, and that a piece of music exists far
>beyond the notes on a page or the soundwaves on a recording.
>This is not unique to music, but the portability of music
>today makes it the most compelling example of the openness of
>art.
>
>The critique shouldn't be against visuals as a whole. Perhaps
>we should be thinking about how visuals do and do not work as
>aspects of a musical experience.

I think I'm critiquing the fact that after decades of it, the experience is becoming less and less a testament to the music.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Perception
Member since Dec 26th 2003
1162 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:48 AM

10. "RE: Visuals killed the musical star"
In response to Reply # 0

Which is why I make it a point to listen to a song alone first to determine its quality, then immerse myself in the visuals and whatever else comes along with it.

Not that I expect anyone else to do this...

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 11:59 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "if you wanna open THAT Pandora's box..."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Nov-21-13 11:59 AM by AFKAP_of_Darkness

>I'm of the belief that for the most parts visuals are really
>just distractions from the music.

Let's take it further.

Lyrics are just distractions from music too, and the importance assigned to them has greatly diminished the public's ability to even HEAR (let alone appreciate) music.

Your move.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

philpot
Member since Apr 01st 2007
21673 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:04 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "very true"
In response to Reply # 11

lyrics frequently ruin the ability to enjoy music

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:18 PM

14. "I can think of a couple of ways to deflect that deflection"
In response to Reply # 11

>>I'm of the belief that for the most parts visuals are
>really
>>just distractions from the music.
>
>Let's take it further.
>
>Lyrics are just distractions from music too, and the
>importance assigned to them has greatly diminished the
>public's ability to even HEAR (let alone appreciate) music.
>
>Your move.

1) the voice is the first instrument, though of course voice doesn't imply lyrics
2) the majority of visuals are created after the music has been completed versus lyrics being an integral part of the song making process (when one is making lyrical music)

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13966 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:27 PM

16. "HR wrote all of the lyrics to Bad Brains "Quickness" completely"
In response to Reply # 14

separate from when Darryl and Doc (bassist, guitarist) and a drummer (not Earl - Earl came in with HR after the music was done) put the music together.

I'm sure that wasn't the only time that occured in music history.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers work almost the same way. The musicians bring the music to Anthony after they put it together.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:01 PM

17. "that doesn't negate my point though"
In response to Reply # 16

of course there are exceptions. in the rhcp example though the music was complete with the vocals even if the instrumentation was done separately.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13966 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:07 PM

13. "College radio still exists"
In response to Reply # 0

College radio plays challenging music where the only visuals that a listener experiences while listening to college radio can be whatever's in the listener's view (or if the listener is listening to college radio in a room, then listener can listen with his or her eyes closed).

yes, I appreciate a good amount of music I hear on college radio.

I just mentioned college radio 'cause if people thought I was referring to pop radio............then......*predictable responses*

rdhull
Charter member
33139 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:10 PM

18. "glad there wsnt a vid for Hotel California or 17 Days"
In response to Reply # 0

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:32 PM

19. "is this a diss to Michael Jackson?"
In response to Reply # 0

because the thread makes no sense, since visual been around forever.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:44 PM

20. "If I make a post to diss MJ, I'll title it "This is a post to dis MJ""
In response to Reply # 19
Thu Nov-21-13 01:44 PM by imcvspl

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:46 PM

21. "he is the first act to comes to mind upon reading this thread"
In response to Reply # 20

and visual and MJ do go hand in hand.

he changed the game. you never answered the question though?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

imcvspl
42239 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:50 PM

22. "Is this post called "This is a post to dis MJ?""
In response to Reply # 21

>and visual and MJ do go hand in hand.

I acknowledged the connection in a link to another thread you overreacted to in a reply to someone above.

>he changed the game. you never answered the question though?

No I'm really coming at Lionel Richie for the "Dancing on the Ceiling" and "Hello" videos.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 02:03 PM

23. "ole turkey i know you not hating on Lionel B. Richie"
In response to Reply # 22

because those is fighting words. Hello was a gangster video i use to that phone part in the video when a girl called my crib back in the day.

Lionel got hits, jewelry

Lobby The Lesson topic #2857259 Previous topic | Next topic