Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2857178

Subject: "why wasn't New Edition as Big as Boyz11Men?" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 10:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"why wasn't New Edition as Big as Boyz11Men?"

talk about irony of all Irony one group names themselves after a group they have been influenced by and they are way bigger than them. so how come lightening wasn't in a bottle for New Edition like Boyz11Men?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
They just didn't cross over as hard.
Nov 20th 2013
count me out, cool it now, candy girl,
Nov 20th 2013
they didnt appeal to white folx as much
Nov 20th 2013
The next group always suppoused to be bigger isnt it
Nov 20th 2013
I mean, weren't they? At they always seemed to be in my mind
Nov 21st 2013
They were but weren't. Boyz had way way way more, and bigger hits
Nov 21st 2013
NE didn't cross over like BIIM.
Nov 21st 2013
Timing
Nov 21st 2013
Interesting question
Nov 21st 2013
better singers, songs that went over better.
Nov 21st 2013
RE: why wasn't New Edition as Big as Boyz11Men?
Nov 21st 2013
music was much segregated in the 80s
Nov 21st 2013

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 10:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "They just didn't cross over as hard. "
In response to Reply # 0

I wasn't THERE-there for New Edition, but I have "Word up" magazines with them on there, and a grip of cousins/older friends who tell me how huge they were. Boyz II Men didn't appeal to Black youth nearly as much as NE or Jodeci. But I figure Jodeci and NE never hit that Mainstream White market the same way.

Boyz II Men had more watery songs, and a lot that were more in that Diane Warren/Ballad lane along with the usual Babyface slow jams. But they owned that era and that sound. Also, the 80's had more competition to cross over, and NE never seemed to make a real attempt at doing that. I never heard them do a New Wave or Rock style of song.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 11:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "count me out, cool it now, candy girl, "
In response to Reply # 1

were accessible songs and they did have cross over success after there first album and for crying out loud they did a cover album called "under the blue moon" covering "earth angel" and they were catchy for there time it ain't like New Edition was 4 by 4 or stuck in Troop's lane or un hit wonder like the Neutrons??

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

melmag
Charter member
18470 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 11:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "they didnt appeal to white folx as much"
In response to Reply # 0

NE whole image was unapologetically "hood" and they reveled in it. they got raunchy, always in trouble with the law, internal beef, controversies abound, etc..

while B2M gravitated towards white audience with their sweaky clean, "well behaved" image. NE was the opposite of that, thus hurting their crossover appeal

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 11:43 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "The next group always suppoused to be bigger isnt it"
In response to Reply # 0

Bivins and later on others learn what keep New Edition back and made sure they learn for Boyz II men. they was def more straight laced and safe then New Ediiton

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44728 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:12 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "I mean, weren't they? At they always seemed to be in my mind"
In response to Reply # 0

Could be a product of New Edition blowing up while I was in grade school, but it sure seemed like they were absolutely everywhere whenever they dropped an album or a single. "Cool it Now" was a monster. "Mr. Telephone Man" was a monster. "Heartbreak" seemed to make them bigger than ever.

I don't know, maybe it was because I'd divorced myself from pop music by the time Boyz II Men got REALLY huge (post "Motownphilly" and "End of the Road"), but I at least always viewed them a step below New Edition.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:18 AM

6. "They were but weren't. Boyz had way way way more, and bigger hits"
In response to Reply # 5

>Could be a product of New Edition blowing up while I was in
>grade school, but it sure seemed like they were absolutely
>everywhere whenever they dropped an album or a single. "Cool
>it Now" was a monster. "Mr. Telephone Man" was a monster.
>"Heartbreak" seemed to make them bigger than ever.
>
>I don't know, maybe it was because I'd divorced myself from
>pop music by the time Boyz II Men got REALLY huge (post
>"Motownphilly" and "End of the Road"), but I at least always
>viewed them a step below New Edition.

and sold more. But I bet NE shows sold just as much, if not more, than Boyz' shows.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:36 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "NE didn't cross over like BIIM."
In response to Reply # 5

BIIM released 3 of the most successful Billboard Hot 100 entries ever - 'End of the Road', 'I'll Make Love To You' and 'One Sweet Day'.

fuck you.

Kid Ray
Member since Sep 23rd 2010
1702 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:35 AM

7. "Timing"
In response to Reply # 0

If you were a R&b group in the early 90's you were winning. Shai,Jodeci,All 4 One...ect Folks were going multi platinum and those songs were all on the radio and mtv. I don't thinks we'll ever see a moment like that again.

sexy_beast
Charter member
1149 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 12:44 PM

8. "Interesting question"
In response to Reply # 0

i mean on every level NE had more personality, swagger and overall appeal than Boyz ii Men - but the later stuff did not cross over the way Boyz II Men stuff did.

Candy Girl was huge in UK when it dropped

Cool it now and telephone man were hits on pop radio (talked to a lot of white NE fans whose reference is always the first two albums), but the fellas had to grow up and their NJS era (Hearbreak)out put did not cross over the way Don't be Cruel of the "side" project Poison did.

whats interesting though is that now, NE seem to be a bigger concert draw than Boyz II Men - cause of the above qualities they have over Boyz II mEN

Boyz II mEN better singers, but bland on stage

Only Hollywood has the power to change Ghandi into a sexy beast - Whoopi Goldberg

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:48 PM

10. "better singers, songs that went over better."
In response to Reply # 0

i much prefer NE, but BIIM crossed over where NE didn't b/c of the songs and the better vocals, i think.

fuck you.

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 02:35 PM

11. "RE: why wasn't New Edition as Big as Boyz11Men?"
In response to Reply # 0

Boyz II Mean seemed to promote talent more.. Like they were a throw back to the barbershop quartet type shit... I feel like that punches through the generation gap moreso than the youth oriented NE.

They were never a "boy band".

They also really didnt have much time. I mean what was their run 2 years? before NKOTB

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

howardlloyd
Member since Jan 18th 2007
2731 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 03:35 PM

12. "music was much segregated in the 80s"
In response to Reply # 0

by the time the 90s roll around it changes a lil

and NE was emphatically more "black"

think about how all black families messed with Frankie Beverly and maze but they hardly register a blip on the pop map

http://howardlloyd.bandcamp.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2857178 Previous topic | Next topic