Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2857143

Subject: "Atmosphere..." Previous topic | Next topic
spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 05:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Atmosphere..."

Can someone, maybe a fan, explain this groups appeal? I have heard a lot of their tracks, but what is their draw...? What am I missing???

Integrity is the Cornerstone of Artistry...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
DOPE Beats Dope Rhymes what more do yall want
Nov 20th 2013
RE: DOPE Beats Dope Rhymes what more do yall want
Nov 21st 2013
I think a lot of it is the subject matter
Nov 20th 2013
RE: I think a lot of it is the subject matter
Nov 21st 2013
      Yeah, I've never been really impressed by Slug's rapping
Nov 21st 2013
You use "Integrity" in your sig and question Atmosphere's appeal?
Nov 20th 2013
If you don't like them, you don't like them.
Nov 21st 2013
You mean like your Nas lost agenda?
Nov 21st 2013
      What is your purpose in life?
Nov 21st 2013
I have to be in an atmosphere mood to listen to atmosphere
Nov 22nd 2013
Ant makes great beats, and Slug is a damn good writer
Nov 22nd 2013
RE: Ant makes great beats, and Slug is a damn good writer
Nov 22nd 2013
      then why'd you start the thread? Just own it man
Nov 22nd 2013

Nov 22nd 2013
dope beats/ angsty white guy rap
Nov 22nd 2013
RE: dope beats/ angsty white guy rap
Nov 22nd 2013
Edit: Was trying to be snarky but it made no sense lol.
Nov 23rd 2013
Slug mixed..Ant native aint he?
Nov 23rd 2013
      I think he's trying to say that black people are emotionless.
Nov 23rd 2013

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 06:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "DOPE Beats Dope Rhymes what more do yall want"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Nov-20-13 06:30 PM by Menphyel7

check out these
Look how much fun we having
Sad clown Dub season eps(its 4 of them each name after a season)
Strickly leakage( free mixtape)
Flet 2..techinally not Atmos but its Slug and Murs over Ant beats fie
When Life give you Lemons

Those was all back to back and they were already vets in the game a already when they did this incredible run. They have other albums but that run right there should make anyone a fan if you not you wont feel them.

the appeal is an sincefe self deprecation honest great mc providing stories and unique perspectives over good music.

They have beem grinding for a while and only got beter and bigger. They said fuck a major and started their own label Rhymesayers that is the model people go to for indpendent labels and provide dope music.

Its music, legacy, grind, live show, bussiness all into one now is why they have appeal.

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:06 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "RE: DOPE Beats Dope Rhymes what more do yall want"
In response to Reply # 1

…great break down, just can't get into Slugs rhymes…the cadence, and sounds like duke is just kind of talking, not my type of ish I guess….

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 06:57 PM

2. "I think a lot of it is the subject matter"
In response to Reply # 0

Slug raps about day to day, regular life stuff and isn't afraid to touch on personal, emotional subjects in a way that most other rappers don't. Listen to "Fuck You Lucy" and tell me how many other rappers are willing to be that vulnerable on a track. And if you've ever had your heart broken, and most people have, you can relate to that.

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 01:09 AM

5. "RE: I think a lot of it is the subject matter"
In response to Reply # 2

cool track….will peep some more joints…his rhyme style though, I don't know ….

simpsycho
Member since May 29th 2007
8056 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 05:31 AM

7. "Yeah, I've never been really impressed by Slug's rapping"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu Nov-21-13 05:33 AM by simpsycho

He's not bad or anything but he's not the kind of rapper that's gonna blow you away with his flow or his wordplay. It's always been more about what's he rapping about than how he's rapping. But I've always felt that what he raps about is powerful enough to make up for anything he might be lacking as an emcee.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Wed Nov-20-13 07:38 PM

3. "You use "Integrity" in your sig and question Atmosphere's appeal?"
In response to Reply # 0

GOLF CLAPS

CondoM
Member since Aug 20th 2006
9881 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 02:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "If you don't like them, you don't like them."
In response to Reply # 0

Don't try to force something that's not happening.

Personally, Slug is probably in my top 5 mc's and Ant is right up there as a producer. I can see how people wouldn't like them though.

http://www.last.fm/user/_CondoM_/

Anonymous
Charter member
23226 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 06:48 AM

8. "You mean like your Nas lost agenda?"
In response to Reply # 6

>Don't try to force something that's not happening.
>

CondoM
9881 posts
Thu Nov-21-13 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "What is your purpose in life?"
In response to Reply # 8

I don't have any agenda. If any mediocre rapper lost, he lost. I'll just state the facts.

You follow my every post with your schoolgirl crush. I'll be in NYC on Christmas eve. Give me a place, bring your girlfriend (in the likely event that you don't have one, just pay a bitch, I'll reimburse you). We'll meet up. I'll inseminate her, and you can clean up the left overs seeing as you're already always on my dick.

I'm serious. I want to know if you're this pathetic in real life or if it's just the worst internet persona ever created.

So send me through a PM (or post it here) where you want to meet up for me to father your future Nas hating child.

cbk
Charter member
4535 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 01:20 PM

10. "I have to be in an atmosphere mood to listen to atmosphere"
In response to Reply # 0

Mostly when I want to laugh or cry.

That May sound like an insult but I'm serious--slug is very funny and witty, and he makes some really poignant heart tugging shit ("yesterday").

Definitely one of the most versatile and wide ranging artists out there.

Happy 50th D’Angelo: https://chrisp.bandcamp.com/track/d-50

Dr_Gonzo
Member since Feb 07th 2007
1523 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 01:36 PM

11. "Ant makes great beats, and Slug is a damn good writer"
In response to Reply # 0

His writing isn't exactly traditional to rap, but it's damn good, nonetheless.
His writing is never impressive the way say Lupe's or Em's is, but he doesn't really go for that anyway. He sort of flows prose, and has a very strong emphasis on content the way most other rappers often put their emphasis on rhythm and flow. Not to say there isn't a balance in any rapper that is highly lauded, but it's clear where he sits in this spectrum.
Listen to Atmosphere with that and what others have already said in mind if you're looking to appreciate their music.

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 03:46 PM

12. "RE: Ant makes great beats, and Slug is a damn good writer"
In response to Reply # 11

…i get it, ish just sounds bland to me…when you say, "...very strong emphasis on content the way most other rappers often put their emphasis on rhythm and flow…", I would say I am looking for all that in an MC…I want content, AND rhythm and flow…does not seem like he uses the metaphorical/simile tools of an MC either, to be straight up, it sounds super white to me….just not my type of artist, but I get the appeal to the crowd this cat (slug) is reaching out too….

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4876 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 04:20 PM

13. "then why'd you start the thread? Just own it man"
In response to Reply # 12

Look, I got no hate or beef with you but I just wish you'd come out and own the fact that you have a very narrow view of rap music "should" be...

basically if you can't draw a straight line from east coast boom bap, you find a reason to not like it...or dismiss it altogether.

People like what they like, but cmon...

As far as your claim that you look for "all of it in an emcee"...in the eye of the beholder I guess because from where I'm sitting that isn't true with you.

The Homeboy Sandman argument here. From my perspective he is a very talented lyricst who couldn't write an actual song/hook to save his life...(I'm not even going to touch his Atmosphere-like cringe worthy corniness here)

Yet you think he's on some next "ish"

Oddisee is another one you ride for...but he is far from a super lyrical miracle spiritual cat.

So by your definition, neither of these guys have "all of it"

So really it's not that Slug doesn't meet your checklist of what a rapper should be.

You just don't like it. Because you can't draw a straight line from Lemons to Illmatic.

That's fine, but lets come out and say that sh!t.

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 04:44 PM

14. ""
In response to Reply # 13
Fri Nov-22-13 04:54 PM by spidey

I started the thread to get a view on what people see in this group, simple as that, thought I was missing something/did not hear enough of there joints…slow down…and I disagree…To me, Sandman is one of the best MC's out there doing it…very creative, someone who brings it, there is a certain complexity to his raps. Sandman has a cool voice, flow, concepts, original style and often dope beats to match….to me, duke is way more interesting than Slug…yeah, his hooks/song structure can be strange/awkward at times, but I still find him engaging...and it's ok if you dig Slug more…As far as Oddisee, to me, cat is a genius. He is in the beat when he rhymes, makes incredible beats, comes with concepts, all while using the signature tools of an MC….Not sure how any of this really relates to Nas or Illmatic, cause they are both very different….tell me your top 5 MC's doing it right now, I want to check myself compared to your theory of me only liking Boom Bap linked artists….Peace….

Benedict the Moor
Member since Dec 06th 2011
1476 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 04:48 PM

15. "dope beats/ angsty white guy rap"
In response to Reply # 0

nm

◦◦◦
http://oi40.tinypic.com/2enp550.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iQBdCzZIftHZ2.gif

spidey
Charter member
13123 posts
Fri Nov-22-13 04:58 PM

16. "RE: dope beats/ angsty white guy rap"
In response to Reply # 15
Fri Nov-22-13 04:58 PM by spidey

Said this earlier too, which I hate to do…but kinda agree after checking more of their ish…thing is cats like EL-P, Aesop Rock, Evidence, Blueprint, dudes in that same universe, impress me consistently….to each their own….

CondoM
9881 posts
Sat Nov-23-13 12:28 AM

17. "Edit: Was trying to be snarky but it made no sense lol."
In response to Reply # 16
Sat Nov-23-13 12:31 AM by CondoM

nm

Menphyel7
Charter member
36436 posts
Sat Nov-23-13 01:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
18. "Slug mixed..Ant native aint he? "
In response to Reply # 15

http://twitter.com/Menphyel7

"F you Im better in tune with the Infinite"

CondoM
9881 posts
Sat Nov-23-13 02:54 AM

19. "I think he's trying to say that black people are emotionless."
In response to Reply # 18

Which I'm sure would be considered as racism.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2857143 Previous topic | Next topic