Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2855059

Subject: "About The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute album?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 01:50 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"About The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute album?"

How do you have your Frances the Mute track listing set up? Shit is confusing. Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus has four parts all together on track one. Track two is The Widow. Track three is L' Via L' Viaquez. Track four is Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore (in four parts). Track five and forward is where it gets confusing. Cassandra Gemini has five parts listed on the album (A. Tarantism/B. Plant a Nail in the Navel Stream/C. Faminepulse/D. Multiple Spouse Wounds/E. Sarcophagi) yet there are 8 remaining tracks. Track 11 basically revisits track five, Cassandra Gemini: Tarantism. Track 12 revisits the opening of track 1, Cygnus...Vismund Cygnus. Now there is a track left over. Track 9 is the only one without lyrics so is it a continuation of the previous track which is Cassandra Gemini: Multiple Spouse Wounds?

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I just press play
Nov 10th 2013
And how about the title track?
Nov 10th 2013
there was a title track?
Nov 10th 2013
      Yeah
Nov 10th 2013
           How long is the title track?
Nov 10th 2013
                ~8 minutes
Nov 10th 2013
                     RE: ~8 minutes
Nov 10th 2013
on the original leak, it was 5 total tracks.. they left Cassandra Gemini
Nov 10th 2013
Never switched it.
Nov 10th 2013
its like this
Nov 11th 2013
RE: its like this
Nov 11th 2013
RE: Is that true?
Nov 11th 2013
      it's on the FtM wiki page, for what that's worth
Nov 11th 2013
           RE: Ahh, I see.
Nov 11th 2013
                I believe it
Nov 11th 2013
it and Deloused are two of the greatest things to come out of
Nov 11th 2013
RE: About The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute album?
Nov 14th 2013

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 02:22 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I just press play"
In response to Reply # 0

I've NEVER paid attention to any of that.

s.blak
I instinctively know where to roll another spliff as well.

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Auk_The_Blind
Member since Aug 23rd 2002
1282 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:18 PM

2. "And how about the title track?"
In response to Reply # 0

My solution was to just rip the album and then stitch up Cassandra Gemini into a single 30 minute track.

16580 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:22 PM

3. "there was a title track?"
In response to Reply # 2

Auk_The_Blind
1282 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:27 PM

4. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 3

I guess that was Japan only though.

Came on a separate disc alongside three live tracks from Deloused.

It took some fiddling to get the levels to match up, but it seques into Cygnus, so I'm pretty sure it was either intended as the opening track or last track.

16580 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:55 PM

7. "How long is the title track?"
In response to Reply # 4

Auk_The_Blind
1282 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:56 PM

8. "~8 minutes"
In response to Reply # 7

16580 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 08:00 PM

9. "RE: ~8 minutes"
In response to Reply # 8
Sun Nov-10-13 08:02 PM by Nick Has a Problem..

I always wondered why those lyrics were included behind the cd casing but nowhere to be found on the album. Well actually I do understand since a cd only holds 80 mins of music.

DonWonJusuton
Member since Jun 28th 2003
3027 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "on the original leak, it was 5 total tracks.. they left Cassandra Gemini"
In response to Reply # 0

as all one track (31:42)... and it actually makes MUCH more sense, because they lost some of the transition quality when they split that song up... i bought a physical copy, but i only listen(ed) to that original leak version

Ashley Ayers
Member since Dec 12th 2009
12331 posts
Sun Nov-10-13 07:51 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Never switched it."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Nov-10-13 07:54 PM by Ashley Ayers

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 01:53 AM

10. "its like this"
In response to Reply # 0

1. Cygnus
2. The Widow
3. L'Via L'Viaguez
4. Miranda That Ghost Aint Holy More
5 -12 is Cassandra Gemini: Tarantism I and II; Plant A Nail In The Naval Stream; Faminepulse; Multiple Spouse Wounds I and II; Scarcophagi I and II

They had to split the last song into tracks because the label said at only 5 tracks it was an EP and would only pay them as such. It does have 5 movements, but was arbitrarily split by Omar and Cedric

16580 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 09:24 AM

12. "RE: its like this"
In response to Reply # 10

>1. Cygnus
>2. The Widow
>3. L'Via L'Viaguez
>4. Miranda That Ghost Aint Holy More
>5 -12 is Cassandra Gemini: Tarantism I and II; Plant A Nail In
>The Naval Stream; Faminepulse; Multiple Spouse Wounds I and
>II; Scarcophagi I and II
>
>They had to split the last song into tracks because the label
>said at only 5 tracks it was an EP and would only pay them as
>such. It does have 5 movements, but was arbitrarily split by
>Omar and Cedric

Thanks for this and I remember them talking about the reason for splitting the tracks like that. I don't understand why a 70+ minute project would be considered an EP. I thought the length of the project played a part in making it an EP too?

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 09:36 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
13. "RE: Is that true?"
In response to Reply # 10

>
>They had to split the last song into tracks because the label
>said at only 5 tracks it was an EP and would only pay them as
>such. It does have 5 movements, but was arbitrarily split by
>Omar and Cedric

Do you have a source for this?

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"the real ernesto." http://bit.ly/1dNHCk5
"cycles." http://bit.ly/16VHxJi
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3288 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 11:20 AM

14. "it's on the FtM wiki page, for what that's worth"
In response to Reply # 13

>>They had to split the last song into tracks because the
>label
>>said at only 5 tracks it was an EP and would only pay them
>as
>>such. It does have 5 movements, but was arbitrarily split by
>>Omar and Cedric
>
>Do you have a source for this?

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 11:38 AM

15. "RE: Ahh, I see."
In response to Reply # 14

It should definitely say (citation needed) next to that.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"the real ernesto." http://bit.ly/1dNHCk5
"cycles." http://bit.ly/16VHxJi
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

ZipZapZopZoup
Member since May 09th 2005
1784 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 07:54 PM

16. "I believe it"
In response to Reply # 15

There are limits on the publishing paid on an album (I think its capped at 12 tracks per CD?), so I can buy a label trying to pull that.

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Mon Nov-11-13 01:55 AM

11. "it and Deloused are two of the greatest things to come out of"
In response to Reply # 0

2000 - 2009

And both records helped me deal with the death of my father

Spyder7
Charter member
3616 posts
Thu Nov-14-13 01:20 AM

17. "RE: About The Mars Volta's Frances the Mute album?"
In response to Reply # 0

Just found this today.

http://albumsthatneverwere.com

DISC ONE :
1. Frances The Mute
2. Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus
3. The Widow
4. L'Via L'Viaquez

DISC TWO :
5. Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore
6. Cassandra Gemini

In honor of the announcement today that The Mars Volta are breaking up, I thought I’d share this album reconstruction I created recently. This is a reconstruction of what The Mars Volta’s 2005 album Frances The Mute was supposed to be, notably with the addition of the title track crossfaded into “Cygnus…” to open the album, as well as the closing 30-minute epic “Cassandra Gemini” reunited as one track, instead of split into eight pieces. The main source used for my reconstruction was a high quality vinyl rip to secure the dynamics that were lost on the overly compressed and brickwalled CD version. My Frances The Mute reconstruction is thus divided into two 45-minute discs, hence its subtitle. The vinyl side divisions are ignored here, as one would have to break up “Cassandra Gemini” ten minutes into the song, defeating one of the purposes of this reconstruction.

The first task in this reconstruction was to edit out the locked grooves in the vinyl version. On the record, the locked grooves contained short samples of the songs themselves, so that as the needle moves into the locked groove, the song will play endlessly. Obviously this needed to be removed for my reconstruction. All tracks have been edited to mimic the CD version of the album without the locked grooves, and in some instances a short sample of the actual CD pressing was needed to patch in a missing gap of audio. This would have only been for a few seconds, and the volume of the CD-sourced patches were adjusted to match the vinyl mastering.

The next task was to restore “Frances The Mute” as the opening track of the album. Unfortunately, there was no quality vinyl rip of The Widow single available for my reconstruction, so the CD version is instead used, volume adjusted to match the vinyl-source. The song was crossfaded into the beginning of “Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus“, with the “Sarcophagi” intro to “Cygnus” acting as the resolution of the tension created at the end of the “Sarcophagi” ending of the title track. The decision was made not to seamlessly crossfade the “Sarcophagi” riffs of the two songs together and thus omitting a couple minutes of ambient effects over the repeated “Sarcophagi” riff, for the sake of staying with the album’s motifs of lengthy atmospheric and experimental passages between the proper songs.

The final element to be corrected in my Frances The Mute was to rejoin the erroneously fractured “Cassandra Gemini” into one 32-minute track, as many fans are adamant that is the correct option for an optimal listening experience. Again, the locked groove was edited out and the brief missing audio was patched in from the CD to make a continuous vinyl-sourced “Cassandra Gemini” that follows the CD version. By the way, if one was to break “Cassandra Gemini” into its five correct movements, the splits would be at 11:25, 21:51, 28:44 and 31:38.

Enjoy what I believe is one of the masterpiece rock albums from the last decade, in what I believe was how The Mars Volta intended the album to be, with the best possible dynamic range.

"I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all."

"Shit, this board is full of villians enough to start a Legion Of Doom AND A Brotherhood of Evil"--DawgEatah

http://agitreader.com/wp2/
We are NOT a blog. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2855059 Previous topic | Next topic