Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2854788

Subject: "How come Female artists don't win as big in the New Indie space?" Previous topic | Next topic
double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7008 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"How come Female artists don't win as big in the New Indie space?"

I was at this kid SoMo's show last night in LA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTH69dPZL9M). Just got signed to Universal Republic but his tour has been sold out before that. He's doing 10k a week on itunes (singles) while on the road. I was Djing for Vic Mensa back before the Innanetape dropped and we did a show with G Eazy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-dxZ3_3oBs). Same thing, sold out tour, millions of YT views and indie as fuck.

Can keep going.. Chance, Timeflies, Dizzy Wright, Logic (before the deal), T. Mills etc...

It's great that these guys are creating this new (White Chitlin' Circuit). They are supporting real shows with vocal production, lights, meet & greets, merch etc...

But there aren't really any Female Artists that are comparable. Iggy already had an affiliation with Interscope before we knew who she was. Azealia was on XL then signed a new deal before she even did a tour. Lorde, Laura Mvula, BANK$, Charlie XCX, Grimes are all signed in one way or another before we knew them. None of them purely came from the indie sphere. I don't think Jhene was selling shows out at this level (400+) before the IDJ deal.

What a lot of the guys have in common is young female fans. Is it that they aren't buying into a female artist at that age? (I mean I'm sure they are Rihanna, Miley or at least Taylor Fans). Do females need a different level of support for them to work? Does the rapper (repping their hometown) model only work for males? Is a female fans connection to a female artist totally different? So much so that it doesn't work on the pure indie indie level?

It's not like these guys are inventing something new. Most of these cats are a variation (or mix) of Drake, Wayne, Ye and Chris Brown

Yes there are the Goapale, Dessa, Alice Smith, Emily King. Are they selling out a 2k person show 2 nights in a row 2 months in advance in their hometowns though? Doing 2 million views of every Official Video, Cover etc?

Just curious. I am sure there is an exception.... somewhere

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Factors:
Nov 08th 2013
RE: Factors:
Nov 08th 2013
Nov 08th 2013
Nov 08th 2013
                In a nutshell yeah
Nov 08th 2013
                     RE: In a nutshell yeah
Nov 08th 2013
                          they reified the archetype making it virtually
Nov 08th 2013
                               RE: they reified the archetype making it virtually
Nov 08th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 02:48 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Factors:"
In response to Reply # 0

1) It's easier to buy into pop friendly males than pop friendly females that aren't being pushed

2) However indie (sound) has a grip of women doing it though not at the level you're talking about because it's not pop.

3) I think the female archtypes of music have all but been shattered.

4) I think it's easier to build an indie music 'team' as a male artist than as a female artist. The team for female artists tends to push to change the artists while male artist teams tend to be yes men.

5) The industry is sexist as fuck.

6) I don't think indie matters to fans anymore.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 02:55 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "RE: Factors:"
In response to Reply # 1

>1) It's easier to buy into pop friendly males than pop
>friendly females that aren't being pushed
>

Why do you think that is? Cuz I see groups at warped tour that are Female led bands getting a ton of fans in the indie sphere. But not the Solo female artist.

>2) However indie (sound) has a grip of women doing it though
>not at the level you're talking about because it's not pop.
>
>3) I think the female archtypes of music have all but been
>shattered.
>
>4) I think it's easier to build an indie music 'team' as a
>male artist than as a female artist. The team for female
>artists tends to push to change the artists while male artist
>teams tend to be yes men.

Can definitely see that. It think that's why an artist like Grimes has said fuck it when it comes to male collabs
>
>5) The industry is sexist as fuck.
>
>6) I don't think indie matters to fans anymore.

If we take both 5,6 as the same coin.. if the fans do not care anymore then why would it even matter if the 'industry' is sexist.

Like these kids I mentioned. They've grown from YT, Facebook. There was no "industry" as they grew. Sometimes it came later other times not at all.

>
>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 03:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: Factors:"
In response to Reply # 2

>>1) It's easier to buy into pop friendly males than pop
>>friendly females that aren't being pushed
>>
>
>Why do you think that is? Cuz I see groups at warped tour
>that are Female led bands getting a ton of fans in the indie
>sphere. But not the Solo female artist.

What lies under what I'm saying are the themes of indie female music. An indie female artist isn't singing about themes that have a pop universal appeal. And if they are they get into that well you need someone behind you to validate your pop status mode of thought (be it producers, label etc.)

>>4) I think it's easier to build an indie music 'team' as a
>>male artist than as a female artist. The team for female
>>artists tends to push to change the artists while male
>artist
>>teams tend to be yes men.
>
>Can definitely see that. It think that's why an artist like
>Grimes has said fuck it when it comes to male collabs

Using Grimes as an example, there's only so much pop appeal she can have because of the type of indie artist she is. If she wants a bigger appeal she'd need a revamp and someone behind her saying she deserves attention.

>>5) The industry is sexist as fuck.
>>
>>6) I don't think indie matters to fans anymore.
>
>If we take both 5,6 as the same coin.. if the fans do not care
>anymore then why would it even matter if the 'industry' is
>sexist.

Because as separated as the fans want to believe they are all of their comfort zones are beingcurated by the industry still. So the pop comfort zone is still the majors control. The fans don't care whether its from an indie or a label so long as it falls within that comfort zone which indie females tend not to do. Males on the other hand would suck a dick if it menat a minute of pop fame.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 03:18 PM

4. "RE: Factors:"
In response to Reply # 3

So in other words if you make it as a female indie artist you have to be pop enough and iF you are pop enough you will either have to be validated or get scooped by a major/major indie

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 03:23 PM

5. "In a nutshell yeah"
In response to Reply # 4

This ties directly into my post about the lack of sexpots in r&b this year as well.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 03:38 PM

6. "RE: In a nutshell yeah"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri Nov-08-13 03:44 PM by double 0

Do you think it just doesn't work anymore?

I mean Nikki is in videos with no bra on... fake titties swanging.. Rih Rih is considered sex incarnate to most..

I wonder if there just isn't a perspective from these female artists. It's why Janelle could be considered so important because the artistic integrity of most female pop upstarts and r&b chicks is just about getting a hot song written for them so they can be known.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 04:00 PM

7. "they reified the archetype making it virtually "
In response to Reply # 6

induplicable at this point. can't repeat the success of rhianna with a new artist anymore. before the arechetype was interchangable amongst artists. but rhi rhi walked in and closed the door.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

double 0
7008 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 04:44 PM

8. "RE: they reified the archetype making it virtually "
In response to Reply # 7

yup.. it's the reason.. Rita Ora has it so hard.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
www.thinklikearapper.com

Lobby The Lesson topic #2854788 Previous topic | Next topic