Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2854780

Subject: "Rolling Stone Magazine takes a giant shit on Electronic Dance Music (lin..." Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 02:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rolling Stone Magazine takes a giant shit on Electronic Dance Music (lin..."
Fri Nov-08-13 02:31 PM by imcvspl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIDCNO3ezxA

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
This must have come from the 90's
Nov 08th 2013
I think they were trying to make a joke and forgot the punchline
Nov 08th 2013
Pfft...
Nov 08th 2013
      Shakin the 'It was better in the old days stick' I SEE YOU
Nov 08th 2013
      Its not really about that...
Nov 08th 2013
           whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... lets not get carried away now
Nov 08th 2013
                Nope, I think they are...
Nov 08th 2013
                     Been reading about Bartok in Transylvannia this past week
Nov 08th 2013
                          This is a very good point>
Nov 08th 2013
                               we're pretty much in agreement
Nov 09th 2013
      i disagree strongly.
Nov 09th 2013
It sucks! Unless we're putting it on the cover.
Nov 08th 2013

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 04:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "This must have come from the 90's"
In response to Reply # 0

Because outside of its' superb political coverage Rolling Stone has been an equal shill for shitty music, EDM included, in its pages since then.

If the boards weren't all about drudging up fake common sense controversy for acts trying to make it big in a dying industry, the current rise of the bedroom producer would be a very interesting one to follow. I find myself moving more towards 'analog' instruments now in my personal 'fuck around making music' life then I did a year or two ago. But I already hear some pretty fantastic music being made electronically from all these tools that are basically free.

Outside of MAYBE disco (which was before my time) I don't think there's been a time where there's been so much dope dance orientated music out there

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 05:05 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "I think they were trying to make a joke and forgot the punchline"
In response to Reply # 1

Which oddly enough is hilariously funny to me.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 05:51 PM

3. "Pfft..."
In response to Reply # 1

>Outside of MAYBE disco (which was before my time) I don't
>think there's been a time where there's been so much dope
>dance orientated music out there

Early/mid 90\s when jungle&drum^bass was hitting |and| IDM showed some creativity and the more disco/orientated house was still hitting beats today fairly easily... If you still can find some redeemable value in Trip/hop *I can\t( add that shit too...

BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 07:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Shakin the 'It was better in the old days stick' I SEE YOU"
In response to Reply # 3

>
>>Outside of MAYBE disco (which was before my time) I don't
>>think there's been a time where there's been so much dope
>>dance orientated music out there
>
>Early/mid 90\s when jungle&drum^bass was hitting |and| IDM
>showed some creativity and the more disco/orientated house was
>still hitting beats today fairly easily... If you still can
>find some redeemable value in Trip/hop *I can\t( add that shit
>too...
>

Absolutely, but not a this scale, and I was pretty hardcore into IDM for a 2-3 year stretch or so from lets say 93-96.

Id also argue outside of the 'masters' of the particular subgenres it was pretty cookie cutter...as much as I loved it 80% of all tech step tracks sounded exactly the same for instance, lol

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 07:40 PM

6. "Its not really about that..."
In response to Reply # 5

You know how boring old classic rockers are when they are talking about how amazing their music was_ Well, they are right because they watched everything WE later took for granted materialize in front of their eyes. They saw Beatles going from being practically a boyband to a bunch of dudes with beards hanging out with yogis and the culture as a whole followed along. That later generations feel their rock music might be better, well, thats just subjective, right_ It has nothing to do with the impact rock actually had as a counter/cultural force for those who saw that happen which is why I always give a pass to that generation because the music had a different meaning.

And you know far too well how Hip/Hop fans hug the golden era and say the same things_ They are right and the kids who claim other things are wrong because because they cant relate< they take it all for granted, from gangsta to political to bohemian.

Obviously, and I am not even a big EDM fan to begin with, electronic music is no different< no refinement or quantity in the world can beat novelty and the sense of hearing something new, quality is too subjective to debate on a meaningful level since its practically always an issue of refinement and craft which are two of the biggest enemies to music...

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 09:03 PM

7. "whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... lets not get carried away now"
In response to Reply # 6

>its practically always an issue of refinement and craft
>which are two of the biggest enemies to music...

FOH with that Jakob. Enemies to trends sure. Enemies to music? That's straight bullshit man,

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 09:08 PM

8. "Nope, I think they are..."
In response to Reply # 7

Enemies to music they are because they put the emphasis on the wrong things, craft can never beat ideas in my book. Of course, if the ideas need a high amount of craft or refinement to be put off correctly, sure, Im all for it, Coltrane FTW.

However, I am talking about them as a means in themselves.

imcvspl
42239 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 09:16 PM

9. "Been reading about Bartok in Transylvannia this past week"
In response to Reply # 8

The interplay of craft refinement vs raw talent met head on and created something otherworldly that wouldn't have been possible without the former.

I'm not going to call either a necessity, however I think its absurd to call them the enemy.Unless you're a natural you can always do better by refining your craft. It's like Duke insisting the baddest ear players learn to read. Sure you've done find without it but possibilities open up for it. That's why Jimi and Trane practiced so endlessly so that when they played you *didn't* hear the craft or refinement.

I dig what you're saying but it just validates bands like Animal Collective and shit. It's all great to have ideas and inspiration, but refine your craft so that you can execute them to the fullest of their potential and see what lies beyond that. So many artists get stuck after that first wave of ideas because they haven't refined their craft to be able to go beyond that.

Imma stop ramblin now.

Still wanna know your thoughts on that link from the last time we were talkin trane.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

Jakob Hellberg
9766 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 09:39 PM

10. "This is a very good point>"
In response to Reply # 9

So many artists get stuck after that first wave
>of ideas because they haven't refined their craft to be able
>to go beyond that.

I always feel that a lack of craft is not a problem as long as your ideas dont need craft to be pulled off. However, when the quality of your ideas is dampened by the lack of craft, there is a BIG problem, no doubt...

However, I justr think there is just as many, if not far more, artists who lose their plot in one way or another once they LEARN the craft that your examples of Jimi and Trane becomes more exceptions than anything else. And honestly, when it comes to Jimi, I suspect he was partially starting to lose it in the end and becoming too concerned with craft. I base that on songs like Night Bird Flying/which is a jam, make no mistake/which were amongst the last things he recorded. It\s like the studio and all its enormous possibilites and him finally getting a chance to master it and be in full control and having the experience to pull it off led to music that to me just lacks the brilliant balance of ragged RAWK attitude and technical skill that his early stuff had. Actually, I feel the same way about most latter Jimi recordings meant as songs. I still dig them but its not Manic Depression so to speak...

As for Coltrane, who knows

>The interplay of craft refinement vs raw talent met head on
>and created something otherworldly that wouldn't have been
>possible without the former.

Agreed and Id say most&all AMAZING artists had a balance. I also think the idea aspect was infinitely more important than the craft aspect and the latter was merely a tool to achieve the former. Of course, the craft was needed to get them there in the first place so I give you that. However, craft as a whole to me still means edges sandpapered off and you as a musician&singer&whatever fitting into an objective idea of skill&beauty&whatever. After all, thats how its recognized as craft or refined in the first place...
>
>
>I dig what you're saying but it just validates bands like
>Animal Collective and shit. It's all great to have ideas and
>inspiration, but refine your craft so that you can execute
>them to the fullest of their potential and see what lies
>beyond that.

But their ideads are not great, they are doing post/modern&post/punk&whatever takes on the ideas of Beach Boys and psych/ Beatles and whatever. Had they had craft, theyd be even more useless and end up as Black Crowes or Lenny Kravitz of their art instead.

Id argue that the lack of craft is what give acts like AC and others in their vein and in most of the whole MODERN \\indie\\ genre for that matter any value whatsoever, its what prevents them from just being revivalists... I think the same about White Stripes and Black Keys even if their music is more to my liking... More craft and they be pub/rock because craft is an objective measurement built on decades of refinements frequently FAR removed from the source/material...
>
>Imma stop ramblin now.
>
>Still wanna know your thoughts on that link from the last time
>we were talkin trane.
>

I listened to it on Spotify I think *maybe Im thinking about something else, drop the name again(, it was interesting but I did not find the electronic aspect substantial and I suspect that very aspect is what give them recognition in the first place...

>█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
>Big PEMFin H & z's
>"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1
>thing, a musician." © Miles
>
>"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

imcvspl
42239 posts
Sat Nov-09-13 12:14 AM

11. "we're pretty much in agreement"
In response to Reply # 10

>However, I justr think there is just as many, if not far more,
>artists who lose their plot in one way or another once they
>LEARN the craft

Well that's because the go to craft after the run out of ideas. In a perfect world you develop the craft and then come to the ideas. Or have the ideas in your mind and work on the craft to execute them. But more often than not these days people get bites off the ideas without the craft and then are stuck wondering what they do with themselves. I blame consumers for eating it up.

>that your examples of Jimi and Trane becomes
>more exceptions than anything else.

Models. Whole different tangent, but its going understated how much they paid dues before stepping into their own light. They both played the circuit doing other peoples ideas for years, refining their craft before stepping into their own. Which ties it into (i think this is the post we're in lol) the notion of mentoring. Mentors are all about helping to refine the talent so that the ideas come naturally. That's what it means to be a musician. All of the greats (hyperbole alert) every fucking one of them came up under someone that made sure they refined their craft first and then struck out on their own. It's formula that works, and yet it seems to have been completely forgotten.

>And honestly, when it
>comes to Jimi, I suspect he was partially starting to lose it
>in the end and becoming too concerned with craft. I base that
>on songs like Night Bird Flying/which is a jam, make no
>mistake/which were amongst the last things he recorded. It\s
>like the studio and all its enormous possibilites and him
>finally getting a chance to master it and be in full control
>and having the experience to pull it off led to music that to
>me just lacks the brilliant balance of ragged RAWK attitude
>and technical skill that his early stuff had. Actually, I feel
>the same way about most latter Jimi recordings meant as songs.
>I still dig them but its not Manic Depression so to speak...

I know what you speak of and can't do dates right to be counter example songs ("Pali Gap" being the first to jump in mind), but even with them you could be right... temporarily. Allowances have to be made for really talented artists to develop into their next stage. I've said this over and over again. I think it's what Joe Corn is talking about with advanced. I think it's the advanced ideas that need craft refinement to be exeuted properly. Fo established artists it's risk prone because they may make what's considered sub par material if they (have to) release it. But if they are able to make it to the otherside of that without succumbing to audience pressures they may arrive at something truly 'new' and unique, or equally good have a reflection back on where they were that further refines it.

Everyone shitted on (and continues to) when Autechre did the digital thing. Folk were pissed the fuck off. But now over five album since then the importance of their wanking off in the digital is so clear because they were able to refine their craft in it so that now when everyone has gone digital and sounds the same, everything they do stands out as uniquely not the same, uniquely not them, and continuously innovative. That's what pushes shit forward.

I think you're looking at it from the raw gutteral appeal of the firsts (that was above in this post right) which of course are always amazing, but I seriously believe a musicans best work comes decades down the line if they are continuing to refine their craft and haven't been pushed or burnt out by other factors (<<< the unfortunate norm).

Sorry said to much here to go more point for point but this reads like you did hear it but it couldn't have been on spotify.

>I listened to it on Spotify I think *maybe Im thinking about
>something else, drop the name again(, it was interesting but I
>did not find the electronic aspect substantial and I suspect
>that very aspect is what give them recognition in the first
>place...

here's the link to be sure - http://concretesoundsystem.com/odon/

It's me on the electronics, but purposefully playing a more understated role so that hopefully you're not saying 'there ARE electronics on this' but 'oh that was electronic?'

It's all free which is why I'd love your feedback. Daniel, who's probably best known for his work with Matthew Shipp is the lead, but there is no head no charts, no nothing. It's my craft refinement space incidentally, which is why the understatedness of my playing.

*** oh i just realized you were probably thinking Melt Yourself Down on spotify. The leader (sorry can't call his name) is the cause for their recognition, though i feel like it maybe a niche supergroup not so much a single leader thing. I dig the electronics on it because it's understated. Probably lose em all together and I'd still dig the project. To me it sounds like if Raymond Scott ever embraced free jazz for his band work.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35254 posts
Sat Nov-09-13 09:01 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
12. "i disagree strongly."
In response to Reply # 3

there is some amazing drum and bass happening right now, great electro and techno coming out of france, and house is having a golden age

the boring shit is very front and center media wise but there is more fantastic dance music out there than anyone has time to listen to

stylez dainty
Member since Nov 22nd 2004
6740 posts
Fri Nov-08-13 06:12 PM

4. "It sucks! Unless we're putting it on the cover."
In response to Reply # 0

----
I check for: Serengeti, Zeroh, Open Mike Eagle, Jeremiah Jae, Moka Only.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2854780 Previous topic | Next topic