Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2854431

Subject: "DETOX Isn't Dropping (link)" Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Mackey
Member since May 23rd 2006
2903 posts
Thu Nov-07-13 12:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"DETOX Isn't Dropping (link)"

http://www.thecrosbypress.com/2013/10/28/dr-dre-led-us-on-for-14-years-and-all-we-got-was-this-t-shirt

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
my armchair a&r detox marketing plan
Nov 07th 2013
This isn't a bad idea. A while back...
Nov 07th 2013
      that was me
Nov 07th 2013
           Word.
Nov 07th 2013

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Thu Nov-07-13 02:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "my armchair a&r detox marketing plan"
In response to Reply # 0

i understand that there's all the hype and buildup for this album. and that it seems like it's going to be underwhelming regardless. but at this point dre has fucked around and waited so long that people will perk up at the name "dr. dre" through pure nostalgia. seriously, 2001 was fourteen years ago!

anyway,

imagine if there's a new beats by dre commercial the superbowl that doubles as a detox commercial. and dre markets a new pair of beats that will go for say, $499 and that it includes the "detox package".

then, say, starting april 1st, dre. dre releases a new beat everyday that comes for free if you have these headphones. otherwise you're paying 99 cents. say he does this for one month. or two months. beats for the gym, the car, walking around with your headphones. in the midst of this he can drop actual songs every week on some good friday shit. test the market and see what people are responding too, and then push the biggest tracks as singles.

then, he can drop detox on say, july 4th, as a proper album with market-tested singles, with some of the songs over hte beats that people responded well to. then at thanksgiving time, he can put out a ridiculous special edition package of detox (like random access memories) that comes with the album, a pair of headphones, all the instrumentals, etc.... price it again at $499 or something ridiculous.

my point is that the project is almost too big to fail. he has a guaranteed audience with a guaranteed brand that's already out there. he has the name factor that sticks in a time where nostalgia and old brands are more important to anybody. and he has so many ways to make completely different types of money.

again, using daft punk as the model. massive success off of one huge single and one smaller single. they didn't even tour. and dr. dre can sell the beats a la carte on top of that and have a guaranteed feedback loop.

the album doesn't have to be earth-shattering or even innovative. just have it sound remotely similar to the "dr. dre" brand, get a bunch of popular rappers on it, and then push it through his guaranteed massive brand. hell, don't even call it detox if you think that name stinks too much at this point.

is there something i'm missing here?

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Nov-07-13 02:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "This isn't a bad idea. A while back..."
In response to Reply # 1

someone had brought up the idea of just dropping a massive mixtape of all the semi-finished and unfinished tracks he recorded for this album over teh 14 years. It'll be more a trip down memory lane than a real album. I think that's the only way to satisfy every to a certain extent.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Stadium Status
Member since Sep 03rd 2007
1155 posts
Thu Nov-07-13 02:26 PM

3. "that was me"
In response to Reply # 2

and one or two years later from whenever i wrote that it's even more lucrative at this point. the thing with the album always seemed that it had to be incredibly innovative or classic. and unless he's THAT concerned with his artistic integrity that he would have issue with that, he's fucked around and waited so long that his album might be more successful than if he dropped it in 2005 or whenever. the rap game has gotten that much more bleak and he has the brand, backing and budget to rise to the top by sheer force

A one-stop page for new content from former Grantland-ers: https://twitter.com/grantlander33

Brew
Member since Nov 23rd 2002
24419 posts
Thu Nov-07-13 02:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Word."
In response to Reply # 3

Yea I agree.

----------------------------------------

"Fuck aliens." © WarriorPoet415

Lobby The Lesson topic #2854431 Previous topic | Next topic