Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2854135

Subject: "Musically More Important in the 60's" Previous topic | Next topic
mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Musically More Important in the 60's"

of these three who do you think was the most important and why?

Poll result (8 votes)
Jimi Hendrix (3 votes)Vote
Sly Stone (1 votes)Vote
James Brown (4 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
in the era or in the time that followed
Nov 06th 2013
either way you make your own selection
Nov 06th 2013
james brown's influence far outstrips both jimi and sly
Nov 06th 2013
Jimi Hendrix is still considered the Greatest Guitar player ever
Nov 06th 2013
      and yet james brown's influence is *far* greater than both.
Nov 06th 2013
           you know I Love JB, Star time is one of the Greatest Box sets
Nov 06th 2013
FYI Bootsy Collins Said Jimi Hendrix
Nov 06th 2013
taking the subject literally wrt 'in the '60s'
Nov 06th 2013
dammit d... as usual, you took my answer before I voiced it.
Nov 06th 2013
how would you answer this question were it without
Nov 06th 2013
James, no question.
Nov 06th 2013
      how influential would you say jimi was as a guitarist?
Nov 06th 2013
           One of the most influential.
Nov 06th 2013
I'm disappointed I couldn't find a .gif of Leather Tuscadero
Nov 06th 2013
      nobody'd get that reference, dude.
Nov 06th 2013
           *tony danza's career*
Nov 06th 2013
Yeah
Nov 06th 2013

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "in the era or in the time that followed"
In response to Reply # 0

are we talking legacy or what they were doing at the time?

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:21 PM

3. "either way you make your own selection"
In response to Reply # 1

peace

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:20 PM

2. "james brown's influence far outstrips both jimi and sly"
In response to Reply # 0

great as they were.

james brown changed music.

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:23 PM

4. "Jimi Hendrix is still considered the Greatest Guitar player ever"
In response to Reply # 2

that changed the game.

Sly Stone intergrating and his style of R&B,Pop, Gospel and Funk influenced everybody.

all 3 Men changed Music take your pick.

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:42 PM

7. "and yet james brown's influence is *far* greater than both."
In response to Reply # 4
Wed Nov-06-13 03:25 PM by shockzilla

it's not even close, honestly.

in shifting the emphasis from melody and harmony to rhythm, james brown created funk and laid the foundation for disco, hip-hop, techno and pretty much everything else that followed. and then he was a far greater showman than either jimi or sly (no slouches themselves) and was a massive influence on michael jackson and prince, for starters.

(funnily enough, i have both jimi and sly in my response to the anchored post asking for our top ten artists ever - but not JB).

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 04:35 PM

15. "you know I Love JB, Star time is one of the Greatest Box sets"
In response to Reply # 7

love his live albums and his influence is top 5 Ever IMO. however JB is left off my list because an act like Sly Stone for instance had albums and songs that moved me more and I'd listen to Hendrix as much as JB because Jimi was versatile and like Band of Gypsys era Hendrix i can groove to a whole lot.

however JB is in his own league IMO. however he does get left of my things which is strange when you consider i got his albums,Books and followed his career, etc..

mistermaxxx08
16076 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:25 PM

5. "FYI Bootsy Collins Said Jimi Hendrix"
In response to Reply # 0

and you can Hear Hendrix on his vocals and stylings as a Solo Artist.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 02:41 PM

6. "taking the subject literally wrt 'in the '60s'"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd go for Jimi, who (along with his influence) was more visible across a wider spectrum of pop culture between 1967 and the end of 1969 than either of the other two.

-------
so I'm in a band now:
album ---> http://greenwoodburns.bandcamp.com/releases
Soundcloud ---> http://soundcloud.com/greenwood-burns

my own stuff -->http://soundcloud.com/lonesomedstringband

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:10 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "dammit d... as usual, you took my answer before I voiced it."
In response to Reply # 6

I agree with you that if we are being semantically precise, Jimi Hendrix was the most important of the three IN the1960s.

During the same period, James Brown and Sly Stone were also doing amazing work, but what they did amounted to sowing seeds that did not fully flower until the 1970s.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:22 PM

9. "how would you answer this question were it without "
In response to Reply # 8

the 'in the 60s' bit?

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:26 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "James, no question."
In response to Reply # 9

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/287/6/c/the_wire_lineup__huge_download_by_dennisculver-d30s7vl.jpg
The man who thinks at 50 the same way he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life - Muhammed Ali

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:29 PM

12. "how influential would you say jimi was as a guitarist?"
In response to Reply # 10

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:33 PM

13. "One of the most influential."
In response to Reply # 12

It's just that I think James' influence extended much further, beyond guitar-centric music.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 04:14 PM

14. "I'm disappointed I couldn't find a .gif of Leather Tuscadero"
In response to Reply # 8

doing that greeting where she slaps her thigh and then points at the Fonz

at least that's the way i remember it from 35 years ago.

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

AFKAP_of_Darkness
Charter member
84244 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 04:43 PM

16. "nobody'd get that reference, dude."
In response to Reply # 14

Try something from Full House instead.

lonesome_d
Charter member
30443 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 04:59 PM

17. "*tony danza's career*"
In response to Reply # 16

>Try something from Full House instead.

oh shit, he was on Who's the Boss, not Full House

*shrug*

-------
so I'm in a band now:

avy by buckshot_defunct

Jakob Hellberg
Member since Apr 18th 2005
9766 posts
Wed Nov-06-13 03:28 PM

11. "Yeah"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed Nov-06-13 03:28 PM by Jakob Hellberg

I'd give the 60s to Jimi followed by JB and Sly even if Sly had a big impact on the Motown-sound I think in the last years of the decade and his band and their concept and message fit the hippie-aesthetics to a T, however, I'm not sure that can beat James impact during the first half of the decade, I don't think it does.

In the 70's, I'd put Sly on top due to the funk-band thing. Jimi was still visible in the 70's though due to the popularity of power-trio rooted hard-rock. JB was losing ground in that decade in spite of a very strong start and disoo which he tried to take credit for arguably owed more aesthetically to Sly

Overall though up until now, I'd put JB on top by a fairly large margin followed by Jimi. The problem with Jimi is that guitar-heroics in that vein has been very uncool for over 20 years as has the very idea of the lead-guitarists as a hero/star. When people has to point towards John Mayer to find relevant contemporary followers, someething is wrong.

Sly has been in a distant third I think for the past 30 years and his aesthetics feel more tied to another era even if I'm sure someone will point to Prince (and possibly Outkast as well) as spiritual followers.

Whatever, that's just one way of interpreting it and they are all giants and amongst the greatest artists ever IMO even if JB is my favorite as a whole...

Lobby The Lesson topic #2854135 Previous topic | Next topic