Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2853467

Subject: "Lyor Cohen's new label is being described as a "content company" *swipe*" Previous topic | Next topic
Chanson
Member since Nov 09th 2004
15000 posts
Sun Nov-03-13 05:40 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Lyor Cohen's new label is being described as a "content company" *swipe*"

Very interesting. It's being backed by Atlantic Records, Google (which owns YouTube), and the firm which owns Rhapsody as well as several other people with lots of money to spend.

They're emphasizing digital content rather than music.

Is this the future of the music business and music itself? Being reduced to 'content'?
____

Lyor Cohen Unveils 300, New 'Content Company' with Atlantic Deal, Google Backing and Ex-Warner Brass (From the Magazine)

By Yinka Adegoke, New York | November 01, 2013 11:38 AM EDT

Former Warner Music Group recorded music chief Lyor Cohen has named his new label ‘300’ and completed his distribution deal with Atlantic, he revealed to Billboard in an interview in this week’s magazine.

Cohen is starting 300 with his fellow ex-Warner Music colleagues Todd Moscowitz (ex-Warner Bros president) and Kevin Liles (ex-EVP Warner Music). All three had also worked together at Def Jam, which Cohen ran in the '80s and '90s.

The name 300 comes from Greek history of the 300 Spartans that fought in a vicious battle against thousands of Persian soldiers in 480 BC.

“It was a battle that changed the way wars are fought," says Cohen. "These guys found that if you were well synchronized, strategic, loyal with great planning and preparedness you could do much more with less and be highly effective."

Cohen’s thinking is that having a smarter, nimbler, more efficiently run music company that uses fewer resources to do more for artists has become necessary in the 21st Century music business. The idea is to better align cost structure to the industry’s current needs, where many new artists are naturally entrepreneurial by marketing and building buzz themselves on platforms like YouTube, Twitter and Instagram.

It may be small but 300 will also have the flexibility to tap into the global distribution infrastructure of a major music label.

“We’re deep believers in the record business,” says Moscowitz, who describes 300 as a content company rather than label. “And we feel artists should be also be rewarded for the risks they take.”

Over the last 14 months Cohen has spent a lot of his time with digital companies trying to understand exactly what the possibilities could be and it has hugely influenced how he and his partners have structured their new business.

“I spent an enormous amount of time inside these digital distribution companies just talking and engaging with them and understanding what these companies now know about our music fans -- something we in the music business never knew for all the years I’ve worked in it. I see a lot of opportunities and asked an insane amount of questions.”

The new company is looking to recruit 25-30 music veterans in areas like radio promotion and marketing alongside younger staffers who breath digital particularly in areas like data mining and data management, explains Liles.

“We want entrepreneurial people, industry veterans that are loving the opportunity of the change to the here and now,” says Liles. “We also want people from outside the industry, chief content officers, chief consumer officers.”

The company is getting backing from a wide range of investors, led by Google, which has put in around $5 million, according to one person familiar with the terms.

“With YouTube, we have a long history of supporting artists and content creators. So we're excited to invest in 300, a new, innovative company designed to create opportunities for artists,” said a Google spokesman in a statement.

Another key investor was investment firm Columbus Nova, which recently took a significant stake in digital music service Rhapsody. He’s also being backed by Israeli-American hedge fund billionaire Noam Gottesman’s Toms Capital, whose offices Cohen has been working from since soon after he left Warner Music (the company is currently seeking their first formal office). Former Warner Music digital chief Alex Zubillaga (and in-law of Edgar Bronfman Jr.) is another backer. Zubillaga has a track record of digital investments including FanBridge and Chartbeat. One other investor is Andres Santo Domingo, co-founder of Brooklyn-based Kemado Records and a son of one of Colombia’s richest families. There are other investors who have declined to be identified. The investment agreements were pulled together by veteran media investment banker Aryeh Bourkoff and Ori Winitzer of LionTree.

Despite speculation around the time of Cohen's exit from Warner Music in September 2012, a year after billionaire Len Blavatnik took control, his old team and its current owner could not be happier to have him back in the fold, albeit as his own self-contained unit.

“Lyor, Todd and Kevin all have well-established reputations as accomplished executives and entrepreneurs,” says the normally quite reticent Blavatnik in a statement. “This agreement will provide Warner with a great source of artistic talent and creativity and we are thrilled that they chose Warner as their home.”

Craig Kallman and Julie Greenwald, the co-chairs of Atlantic Records, are especially excited about the prospect of having Cohen focused on the music and artists again and being part of their extended team.

“I’ve seen them out there again on the hunt for new artists. I’m really confident in them knowing the A&R talent of the three of them,” says Kallman.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/5778094/lyor-cohen-unveils-300-new-content-company-with-atlantic

mind
--------
matter

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
It already has been "content", yet very few are content
Nov 03rd 2013
RE: "Access, not ownership"
Nov 03rd 2013
RE: It already has been "content", yet very few are content
Nov 04th 2013
think you'll be surprised at some of the artists hes gonna
Nov 03rd 2013
hmmmm...
Nov 04th 2013
if they can turn a dollar,
Nov 04th 2013
co/sign..
Nov 04th 2013
i don't think so
Nov 05th 2013
didn't the 300 lose the battle?
Nov 04th 2013
shhh.
Nov 04th 2013
Your comment and SoWhats are laughable. NO
Nov 04th 2013
      but didn't the leader of 300 get decapitated and crucified?
Nov 05th 2013
           No.....link
Nov 05th 2013
           right, so i expect this 'content company' will go down swinging
Nov 05th 2013
Meh, I am never impressed with hazy business plans
Nov 05th 2013
RE: Meh, I am never impressed with hazy business plans
Nov 05th 2013
I hate this new vague use of the word "content."
Nov 05th 2013

johnbook
Charter member
65030 posts
Sun Nov-03-13 07:04 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "It already has been "content", yet very few are content "
In response to Reply # 0

I think the issue now is, now that it's less about being a record label or music company and more about "content providers", the industry as we know it, already less interested in music, will continue on that path. It will be equal to DirectTV or Dish Network in that you just pay because it's there, with no concern over who gives you what you want, or why.

The structure is fucked, basically, but it has been on that path since 1999.

THE HOME OF BOOK-NESS:
http://www.thisisbooksmusic.com/
http://twitter.com/thisisjohnbook
http://www.facebook.com/book1

http://i32.tinypic.com/kbewp4.gif
http://i50.tinypic.com/hvqi4w.jpg

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Sun Nov-03-13 07:22 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: "Access, not ownership""
In response to Reply # 1

>you just pay because
>it's there, with no concern over who gives you what you want,
>
>

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/HgJRBl
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"so whatever 2.0." http://bit.ly/18hYTfT
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

double 0
Member since Nov 17th 2004
7007 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "RE: It already has been "content", yet very few are content "
In response to Reply # 1

Yes it's been about content.. but the reality that ppl in the industry wont face is distribution is dead. And since it is the "record contract" is dead.

I think he is trying to position himself as a better partner for a 360 deal.

Double 0
DJ/Producer/Artist
Producer in Kidz In The Hall
-------------------------------------------
twitter: @godouble0
IG: @godouble0
www.thinklikearapper.com

sweeneykovar
Member since Oct 26th 2004
10122 posts
Sun Nov-03-13 11:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "think you'll be surprised at some of the artists hes gonna"
In response to Reply # 0

be fuckin with.

mrshow
Charter member
12567 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 12:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "hmmmm..."
In response to Reply # 3

Mr Church Hill
Member since Dec 10th 2003
21094 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 02:31 PM

6. "if they can turn a dollar,"
In response to Reply # 3

Drokayplayer ™

>you're like the most known unknown poster
- Mr. Buildingblock

antoniovaladez
Charter member
4545 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 08:19 PM

9. "co/sign.."
In response to Reply # 3

….

Weekends on 89.9 FM // KCRW

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 02:56 PM

15. "i don't think so"
In response to Reply # 3

because he's always signed and rode for non-mainstream cats who he felt could make some money

in this day and age no much surprises me

shit i'm glad Diddy's mediocre revolt channel is really playing shit we all talk about on here every now and thsan

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 02:19 AM

5. "didn't the 300 lose the battle?"
In response to Reply # 0

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 02:35 PM

7. "shhh."
In response to Reply # 5

fuck you.

MarkVenter
Member since Aug 08th 2013
1339 posts
Mon Nov-04-13 08:26 PM

10. "Your comment and SoWhats are laughable. NO"
In response to Reply # 5

they lost their lives, rather GAVE their lives so the greek army could PREPARE for the coming onslaught. Their "loss" allowed democracy to survive. Thats why they are heroes. They delayed the invasion.

PIMPINCHICAGO
Member since Mar 11th 2003
7441 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 12:16 AM

11. "but didn't the leader of 300 get decapitated and crucified?"
In response to Reply # 10

and if I recall, the battle only delayed the Persian army for a month, before they ended up taking over most of Greece lol...

MarkVenter
Member since Aug 08th 2013
1339 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 12:44 AM

12. "No.....link"
In response to Reply # 11
Tue Nov-05-13 12:48 AM by MarkVenter

Yes he died but see what his death and resistance yielded:

Wiki:

During two full days of battle the small force led by King Leonidas I of Sparta blocked the only road by which the massive Persian army could pass. After the second day of battle a local resident named Ephialtes betrayed the Greeks by revealing a small path that led behind the Greek lines. Leonidas, aware that his force was being outflanked, dismissed the bulk of the Greek army and remained to guard the rear with 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans and perhaps a few hundred others, most of whom were killed.
After this engagement the Greek navy, under the command of the Athenian politician Themistocles, at Artemisium received news of the defeat at Thermopylae. Since the Greek's strategy required both Thermopylae and Artemisium to be held, and given their losses, the withdrawal to Salamis was decided. The Persians overran Boeotia and then captured the evacuated Athens. The Greek fleet, seeking a decisive victory over the Persian armada, attacked and defeated the invaders at the Battle of Salamis in late 480 BC. Fearful of being trapped in Europe, Xerxes withdrew with much of his army to Asia (losing most to starvation and disease), leaving Mardonius to attempt to complete the conquest of Greece. The following year, however, saw a Greek army decisively defeat the Persians at the Battle of Plataea, thereby ending the Persian invasion.
Both ancient and modern writers have used the Battle of Thermopylae as an example of the power of a patriotic army defending native soil. The performance of the defenders at the battle of Thermopylae is also used as an example of the advantages of training, equipment, and good use of terrain as force multipliers and has become a symbol of courage against overwhelming odds.

SoWhat
Charter member
154163 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 10:17 AM

14. "right, so i expect this 'content company' will go down swinging"
In response to Reply # 11

in the spirit of the 300. ultimately the company will 'lose' in the face of an insurmountable obstacle presented by a much more powerful foe. but the company will hold off the loss briefly.

yay?

no way i'd sign up for that.

fuck you.

Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 09:50 AM

13. "Meh, I am never impressed with hazy business plans"
In response to Reply # 0

This reminds me when Ben Silverman left NBC to form a new company to produce and distribute programs across media platforms, for television, the Web and mobile devices. Ain't no one heard from him since.

Or when Michael Ovitz announced he was form AMG which was to be a new way of doing business in hollywood.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

sersey
Member since Jan 03rd 2005
934 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 03:40 PM

16. "RE: Meh, I am never impressed with hazy business plans"
In response to Reply # 13

What all these ventures have in common is that it seems overly ambitious... I think what Lyon is trying to do just might work simply because they have the behemoth google behind them.

And why do you think google is backing this venture. Maybe because Apple shut the door on Lyor & company (speculating here). With the move's they've made in the past 5 yrs , we already know that Google wants to surpass Apple in the arena of music and media delivery. What better way to do that than to get in bed with some of the most powerful record execs in music today....

I think they got something here.. How it gets executed will make all the difference though. (Think Obamacare.)

smooth va
Member since May 02nd 2005
6059 posts
Tue Nov-05-13 11:18 PM

17. "I hate this new vague use of the word "content.""
In response to Reply # 0

"This is dedicated to whom it may concern."-Donny Hathaway

Lobby The Lesson topic #2853467 Previous topic | Next topic