Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2850701

Subject: "Matthew Shipp on Chick Corea - wherein he forgets his filter?" Previous topic | Next topic
thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Matthew Shipp on Chick Corea - wherein he forgets his filter?"

Damn.

http://thetalkhouse.com/reviews/view/matthew-shipp-chick-corea

I really don't know that much about Shipp, know him mostly through acts that he's been associated with... but it's always interesting to see someone go after a big name like Shipp does here.

Thoughts? Not having heard the album, I feel like he comes off as a bit of a dick here. There's honesty, and then there's disrespect. But whatever - like he says, he feels like he operates in a totally different world than Corea, so I guess he's just calling it as he sees it?

-thebigfunk

~ i could still snort you under the table ~

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
yeah, he did go a bit extra there. I also completely agree with him
Oct 25th 2013
yeah, that cover is ridiculous!
Oct 25th 2013
that was def my favorite part
Oct 25th 2013
RE: He's becoming more known for his big mouth these days.
Oct 25th 2013
I think its great
Oct 25th 2013
      RE: I think its great
Oct 25th 2013
he comes off like he has an axe to grind
Oct 25th 2013
you don't talk about no Chick Corea
Oct 25th 2013

JayEmm
Member since Feb 06th 2004
3300 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "yeah, he did go a bit extra there. I also completely agree with him"
In response to Reply # 0

" The Cover of This Album

The album cover is provocative; specifically, it provokes vomit. He must be kidding with this cover — it was barely excusable in the '70s — now it's beyond a sick joke. It is reminiscent of the cover of Return to Forever's Romantic Warrior (1975), so is it a hangover from the '70s or some L. Ron Hubbard stuff? It mars the whole concept of the album and almost makes it difficult to take seriously the artistic instincts of this composer. The first thought when I saw it was, 'Is he some type of sick creep or does he have such a great sense of humor that the joke is on us?' "

- hilarious

shockzilla
Charter member
37800 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "yeah, that cover is ridiculous!"
In response to Reply # 1

this is all on point.

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 12:05 PM

6. "that was def my favorite part"
In response to Reply # 1

I literally laughed out loud when I read that paragraph, and then read it again.

-thebigfunk

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "RE: He's becoming more known for his big mouth these days."
In response to Reply # 0

He seems like a real joy to hang out with. **rolls eyes**

And I agree with most of what he's saying.

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"unspecified psychosis." http://bit.ly/1a47kMe
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"so whatever 2.0." http://bit.ly/18hYTfT
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:46 AM

5. "I think its great"
In response to Reply # 2

Nobody else has the balls to say the shit. Shipp is secure enough in what he does that he feels he can take folk to task. Also he doesn't hide his personal bias. He lays it all out there, and then gives you succinct criticism that speaks beyond it.

"But at the end of the day, The Vigil is basically '70s fusion, nothing more, nothing less. It is mostly extremely well done and professional but misses any edge.
In some ways The Vigil is a victim of a paradigmatic '70s jazz marketing worldview. It does what it sets out to do. Its strengths are also its weaknesses."

That's some pretty good music criticism in 2013

On a side note i like the idea of that site, may have to check it more often.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." © Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

thebigfunk
Charter member
10466 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 12:11 PM

7. "RE: I think its great"
In response to Reply # 5

>Nobody else has the balls to say the shit. Shipp is secure
>enough in what he does that he feels he can take folk to task.
> Also he doesn't hide his personal bias. He lays it all out
>there, and then gives you succinct criticism that speaks
>beyond it.

>That's some pretty good music criticism in 2013

This is mostly how I feel... mostly. It reminds me of those Miles Davis blindfold sessions you posted a while back. Straight, no chaser. Part of me applauds the confidence and the brashness, but part of me sort of sighs at it, too. It's how I feel about competitiveness in art/music as a whole, though - I like the idea of competition as inspiration, but I also sort of loathe it. So maybe this is like a rorschach test for one's aesthetic philosophy, lol...

>
>On a side note i like the idea of that site, may have to check
>it more often.

I only just started following it. A lot of them feel a bit incestuous, which is one reason Shipp's comments appealed to me. It would have been easy to couch criticism in nice language, but there's something refreshing about the directness... I need to go back and read his Keith Jarrett one, though.

-thebigfunk

Garhart Poppwell
Member since Nov 28th 2008
18116 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 09:34 AM

3. "he comes off like he has an axe to grind"
In response to Reply # 0

just because he doesn't like the music
and from what he says a lot of that disklike comes from the fact that he's never really liked Corea as a frontman
this makes me wonder why he'd bother reviewing it in the first place, since he has a lifetime bias against him

Un-OK'd moderator for The Lesson and Make The Music (yes, I do's work up in here, and in your asscrease if you run foul of this

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Fri Oct-25-13 12:17 PM

8. "you don't talk about no Chick Corea"
In response to Reply # 0

Corea is one of those piano players like joe sample and herbie hancock that you leave alone.ahmad jammal as well and a few others.

look corea really ain't done much of new ground in many years, still he is one of the most distinctive musicians ever imo.

i could care less about cover art, just either you dig what you hear or not?

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

Lobby The Lesson topic #2850701 Previous topic | Next topic