Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2850168

Subject: "complex best rapper of the 90s list LOL" Previous topic | Next topic
bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"complex best rapper of the 90s list LOL"

snoop at #8

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/10/best-90s-rappers/

1. biggie
2. pac
3. nas
4. face
5. hov
6. 3k
7. cube
9. lauryn
10. redman

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: my own damn list
Oct 23rd 2013
you down south enwurdz
Oct 23rd 2013
What's wrong with snoop being #8?
Oct 23rd 2013
Take off Lauryn, replace with E 40 or a Wu member
Oct 23rd 2013
I'd switch Scarface and Ice Cube, replace Red w/ Meth (lol)
Oct 23rd 2013
Always sleepin on Q Tip
Oct 23rd 2013
im taking guru over qtip
Oct 23rd 2013
even complex can't make a bad list
Oct 23rd 2013
RE: Omission of Common and Black Thought in top 10 is criminal.
Oct 23rd 2013
I thought this also, but I can't decide who I'd kick off to include them...
Oct 23rd 2013
shit I'd kick off Cube and Lauryn
Oct 23rd 2013
      I feel you, but Cube is a sacred cow so you kinda have to include him
Oct 23rd 2013
           RE: And Com put Cube's rap career on life support.
Oct 24th 2013
                People like us remember that beef....but a lot of people don't
Oct 24th 2013
its just silly to put people like Face and Snoop
Oct 23rd 2013
      Y'all are trippin. Let's not act like lyrics are the end all
Oct 23rd 2013
once again, Black Thought gets snubbed... ridic
Oct 23rd 2013
Am I the only one who would take Jay off???
Oct 23rd 2013
cee lo green definetly over lauryn hands down.
Oct 23rd 2013
-- a ReaL Top 10 Rapper/MC's of the 90's List :
Oct 23rd 2013
why isn't ghost mentioned more as the GOAT?
Oct 23rd 2013
cause even though he had moments from 93-99
Oct 23rd 2013
      ahhh.
Oct 23rd 2013
my 10 back then
Oct 23rd 2013
RE: complex best rapper of the 90s list LOL
Oct 24th 2013

bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:42 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: my own damn list"
In response to Reply # 0

1. snoop, 2. pac 3. biggie, 4. ice cube 5. nas 6. scarface 7. qtip 8. methodman 9.pimp c 10. jay-z

astralblak
Member since Apr 05th 2007
20029 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:53 PM

4. "you down south enwurdz"
In response to Reply # 1

Stay trying to add er'one outside of 3Stacks and Face in the convo, lol. Pimp C FUCK NO

and LOFL at Snoop @ one

Nick Has a Problem...Seriously
Member since Dec 25th 2010
16580 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:42 PM

2. "What's wrong with snoop being #8?"
In response to Reply # 0

Falcons, Braves, Bulldogs and Hawks

Geto Boys, Poison Clan, UGK, Eightball & MJG, OutKast, Goodie Mob

fluicide
Member since Aug 07th 2013
732 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:43 PM

3. "Take off Lauryn, replace with E 40 or a Wu member"
In response to Reply # 0

list fixed

TRENDone
Charter member
15616 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 06:59 PM

5. "I'd switch Scarface and Ice Cube, replace Red w/ Meth (lol)"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-23-13 07:00 PM by TRENDone

and switch Meth and Lauryn...and you got a solid mainstream list.

San Diego State's holy trinity of sports:
Kawhi Leonard
Marshall Faulk
Tony Gwynn (RIP)

#Aztec4Life

PCProductions
Member since Oct 31st 2009
1217 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:02 PM

6. "Always sleepin on Q Tip"
In response to Reply # 0

And Guru, of course.

judono
Member since Nov 11th 2004
4417 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:39 PM

12. "im taking guru over qtip"
In response to Reply # 6

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Kosa12
Member since Jul 19th 2006
4988 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:11 PM

7. "even complex can't make a bad list"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-23-13 07:12 PM by Kosa12

when an overwhelming number of obvious picks/contenders for the list are good
this wouldn't be my list, but I have no problem with it

----------
https://93millionmilesabove.blogspot.com/
https://rateyourmusic.com/~Kosa12

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:14 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
8. "RE: Omission of Common and Black Thought in top 10 is criminal."
In response to Reply # 0

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"king of rain." http://bit.ly/GNVnDp
"saudade de maņana." http://bit.ly/1hNZLhy
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

fluicide
732 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:18 PM

9. "I thought this also, but I can't decide who I'd kick off to include them..."
In response to Reply # 8

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:24 PM

11. "shit I'd kick off Cube and Lauryn"
In response to Reply # 9

Cube's last good album was in 93

And Lauryn has verses on one GROUP album, and what 4 verses on her solo?

fluicide
732 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:09 PM

21. "I feel you, but Cube is a sacred cow so you kinda have to include him"
In response to Reply # 11

He owned west coast rap til Snoop showed up..

Austin
Charter member
9418 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 07:42 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
24. "RE: And Com put Cube's rap career on life support."
In response to Reply # 21

``i know you are fake. . . 'cause man, i'm the same.``
"untitled 6." http://bit.ly/19QmVPu
"untitled 5." http://bit.ly/GWjmBl
"king of rain." http://bit.ly/GNVnDp
"saudade de maņana." http://bit.ly/1hNZLhy
"1.5.2.0." http://bit.ly/18UMv7A

fluicide
732 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 11:40 AM

25. "People like us remember that beef....but a lot of people don't "
In response to Reply # 24
Thu Oct-24-13 11:41 AM by fluicide

..and there are people that would say Common got mopped by Cube when he said "I'm bombin on Common Sense, Chicago is mine/ nigga hit the fence" and you can bet money that they've never even heard The Bitch In Yoo.
Common could replace Lauryn easily, though.

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:20 PM

10. "its just silly to put people like Face and Snoop"
In response to Reply # 8

Over them if we're talking about rapping

But since popularity and the ever hardly articulated "influence" come into play, you know the drill

-DJ R-Tistic-
Member since Nov 06th 2008
51986 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
16. "Y'all are trippin. Let's not act like lyrics are the end all"
In response to Reply # 10

>Over them if we're talking about rapping
>
>But since popularity and the ever hardly articulated
>"influence" come into play, you know the drill

Snoop's overall flow, delivery, style...that's HUGE points that even 80's Hip Hop heads will acknowledge. His lyrics were always C+, a B+ at times, a D+ at times...but all else was there for sure. And he always knew how to make songs, hits, all that, which also gives huge points. His image and appeal COMBINED with his talent is what made him huge...just the image and appeal alone wouldn't have got him anywhere.

------------------------------

50+ FREE Mixes on www.DJR-Tistic.com!

Twitter and Instagram - @DJ_RTistic

judono
4417 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:41 PM

13. "once again, Black Thought gets snubbed... ridic"
In response to Reply # 0

Black thought should be top 5 on this list..absolutely over B.I.G.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Crash85
Member since May 08th 2007
7288 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:46 PM

14. "Am I the only one who would take Jay off???"
In response to Reply # 0

Outside of Reasonable Doubt, I like more of Jay's music in the 2000s... I include Vol 3 in the 2000s...

judono
4417 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 07:46 PM

15. "cee lo green definetly over lauryn hands down. "
In response to Reply # 0

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

judono
4417 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 08:55 PM

17. "-- a ReaL Top 10 Rapper/MC's of the 90's List :"
In response to Reply # 0

you almost have to factor in the 90 - 94 era, the 93 - 97 era - and the 96 -99 era, and look at them separately in order to formulate a legit list. analyze those individual timelines from the decade, pick the cream of the crop from each period, and then compile the list and re-evaluate at the end. for example: from 91-94, ice cube was wrecking shit. from 95-99... not so much. but... the NWA, Death Certificate, Kill at Will, and even parts of Lethal Injection and Predator? that run right there? Plus the Boyz in the Hood and Friday movies??? based on how inventive and groundbreaking hiphop was during the early 90's, the more limited production technology... how 'young' rap/hiphop was... sound / style / cultural impact / critical acclaim / trend setting / and when it boils down to it: having some dope shit? That is a cold ass run right there... NWA, Death Certificate, Kill at Will, Lethal Injection , Predator and the Boyz in the Hood and Friday movies.... but folks forget about the beginning of the decade and the cultural impact and favor the mid to later years the most. is that correct logic? i dont know. Is Snoop's contribution on The Chronic and Doggystyle greater than Cube's? Without really thinking about all the factors, most folks would say yes. Sitting down and really taking a closer look? that's a tough one to call. Might not be a Snoop if Cube wasn't that dude.

Notorious Big is always over-rated. Was Biggie a better MC than Big L with the wordplay and straight rhymes?

that said, here is my list.

1. andre 3000. southernplayalistic / atLiens / aquemini. compLetely originaL, groundbreaking, trendsetting, Lyrical. without the gun talk and seLLing dope angLe (even Biggie and Nas came with that gun talk, selling dope shit. these days that shit ain't considered lyrical. but back then? well , just check the best of lists. but 3000 was never on that shit) .... in an era when everybody was either on the NewYorkCity boom bap nuts, or the WestCoastG Shit nuts, it was never cool or trendy to be from the south and get props. but andre 3000 came with that unique different original creative and was spitting in his own lane. Andre 3000 from outkast takes the crown.

2. nas. iLLmatic / it was written. iLLmatic goes without saying. even tho for some reason it was written caught a helluva lot of flack from certain circles, i thought that bitch was dope as fuck. for those 2 albums, nas gets #2 spot. Where Nas doesn't deserve the top spot is for that booty-ass, bullshit-ass 3rd album he dropped where he blatantly sold out, went for that all the way commercial bullshit, and sold the fuck out and switched his style up. that oochie wally bullshit? and all them duds on that 3rd album? can't be rated over andre 3000. where nas showed slight decline from the 1st to the 2nd album (to many folks, not sure i agree), he absolutely digressed from the 2nd to the 3rd album and fell the fuck off.

3. black thought. do u want more / illadelph. the most under rated, overlooked, and under-ranked of all time on these bullshit ass lists (if he ain't in the top 10, it's a bullshit ass list), Black Thought belongs in the top 10 MC/Rapper list in both the 90's as well as the 00's.

4. tupac. taking straight MC'ing out of the equation in the 'wordplay' sense of the definition (KRS never really MC'd with the straight up 'wordplay' like that either.. KRS was a spitter and kicked knowledge, but a straight forward rhymer never-the-less)... as a Rapper / performer / songwriter / cultural icon / and based on the sheer volume of his creative output before he passed at 25 yrs old, Pac was much wiser than his years. He influenced an entire generation of both youth and adults with his contributions to rap music and the 90's. Imagine if Tupac was still alive. Look at the level of his status at it's peak. Compare that status to the level of JayZ and Puffy during that same timeframe. Now look at the status and cultural level of JayZ and Puffy today in 2013. They are both 100millionares. During his time, Tupac had a much more significant cultural status. If Pac was still alive today, imagine..

5. ice cube. NWA / kill at will / death certificate / Boyz in the Hood movie / Friday movie / Lethal Injection. It Was A Good Day single. based on this list of contributions, it almost seems like ice cube should feasibly take the #2 spot ahead of nas...

6. guru . gang starr. definitive east coast aesthetic. guru was a straight forward rymer / story teller / knowledge dropper. step in the arena / daily operation / hard to earn / moment of truth / . that 4 album run right there? plus over premier production?

7. cee lo green. from his appearances on outkast's albums, to the goodie mob : Soul Food and Still Standing albums, not to mention one of the greatest guest features on a hiphop album all of time (Common's One Day It'll All Make Sense), cee lo green might belong in the top 3 mc / lyricists from the 90's when it boils down to it. Always deep , thought provoking , and poetic, Cee Lo is absolutely more lyrical and musically meaningful than Notorious B.I.G. as an MC. Cee Lo was so cold on the mic that Common never let Cee-Lo Green get another guest feature on any of his future projects as a Rapper. Lol. Common only let Cee Lo receive future features as a Singing Vocalist.

8. snoop. the chronic / doggystyle. based on cultural impact and significance, you will be hard pressed to find 2 albums that shifted / influenced / and impacted a culture more than The Chronic and the resulting anticipation that followed before snoop released the classic Doggystyle LP.

9. common. resurrection / one day it'll all make sense.

10. i can't fill this blank in because it's about a 10-way tie for the #10 spot.

* * * * =========
* * * * =========
* * * * =========
==============
==============

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:10 PM

18. "why isn't ghost mentioned more as the GOAT?"
In response to Reply # 0

the more i dig into his catalogue, the more he becomes my favorite rapper.

beat selection? check.
lyrical content? check.
flow? check.
it factor? check.
classic albums? check.

i mean, what's missing?

astralblak
20029 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:53 PM

20. "cause even though he had moments from 93-99"
In response to Reply # 18

His mastery really exploded from 00-06

He is in the convo, for the 90s he's in my top 10

Joe Corn Mo
Member since Aug 29th 2010
15139 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 10:14 PM

22. "ahhh. "
In response to Reply # 20
Wed Oct-23-13 10:15 PM by Joe Corn Mo

yeah. i can see that.

he did his best work during a time period
when nobody would be checking for him to drop his best work.

and the zeitgeist had moved on, even though he was in the zone.

makes sense.

mistermaxxx08
Member since Dec 31st 2010
16076 posts
Wed Oct-23-13 09:37 PM

19. "my 10 back then"
In response to Reply # 0

Cube 1)

2Pac 2)

Scarface 3)

Snoop 4)

Biggie 5)

LL 6)

Nas 7)

3 Stacks 8)

L Boggie 9)

Sugga Free 10)

mistermaxxx R.Kelly, Michael Jackson,Stevie wonder,Rick James,Marvin Gaye,El Debarge, Barry WHite Lionel RIchie,Isleys EWF,Lady T.,Kid creole and coconuts,the crusaders,kc sunshine band,bee gees,jW,sd,NE,JB

Miami Heat, New York Yankees,buffalo bills

melanon
Member since Oct 21st 2003
2012 posts
Thu Oct-24-13 12:02 AM

23. "RE: complex best rapper of the 90s list LOL"
In response to Reply # 0

Prodigy & Meth not making the list is insane. Q Tip too.

Lobby The Lesson topic #2850168 Previous topic | Next topic