Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby The Lesson topic #2849568

Subject: "Elliott Smith's song Waltz #2 and his psycho killer characters" Previous topic | Next topic
c71
Member since Jan 15th 2008
13956 posts
Mon Oct-21-13 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Elliott Smith's song Waltz #2 and his psycho killer characters"
Mon Oct-21-13 12:02 PM by c71

The Painful Life History Hiding in Elliott Smith’s Masterpiece

by William Todd Schultz

Elliott Smith died 10 years ago today. Earlier this month, Bloomsbury published Torment Saint: The Life of Elliott Smith, by William Todd Schultz. The piece below is adapted from the book and printed here with permission.

“Waltz #2 (XO),” the third song on XO (1998), is Elliott Smith’s certain masterpiece. It’s got a roadhouse, Wild West, player-piano feel to it. And the tune, with its staccato ľ beat, takes Smith back to Cedar Hill, the suburbs of Texas with his mother, Bunny, and stepfather, Charlie. There’s love in “Waltz #2 (XO),” but a deeper impulse is anger, aimed squarely at Charlie. Brilliantly laid out in metaphorical cloakings, the song’s a secret life history, summarizing Elliott’s feelings about the Cedar Hill atmosphere and the intricacies of his relationship with mother and stepfather. He was always exceptionally worried about the possible hurtfulness of his lyrics. The thought that they might cause harm pained him.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/10/21/elliott_smith_waltz_2_x_is_the_best_song_by_the_man_who_died_10_years_ago.html

My favorite song of his is "Son of Sam" another killer character song.

I guess this book excerpted in the article will talk about that song too.

Used to love Waltz #2. Now..........still good but "Son of Sam" all day.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Bookmark
Oct 22nd 2013
Elliott Smith is better than R.Kelly
Oct 22nd 2013

CaptNish
Member since Mar 09th 2004
14495 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 10:12 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "Bookmark"
In response to Reply # 0

I can't read this right now. I'm going through a break up and if I delve back into Elliott, I dunno if I'll survive this time. lol

_
Yo! That’s My Jawn: The Podcast - Available Now!
http://linktr.ee/yothatsmyjawn

supablak
Charter member
7795 posts
Tue Oct-22-13 11:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Elliott Smith is better than R.Kelly"
In response to Reply # 0

s.blak
and he killed himself

keep: looking,searching,seeking,finding

Lobby The Lesson topic #2849568 Previous topic | Next topic